PDA

View Full Version : Hair Cringe Moments

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I love caring for my hair, but sometimes I hate how I feel the slightest mistake or accident could lead to *gasp* hair loss or MAJOR DAMAGE that could take a long time to grow out! Exaggeration but that's the feeling. :p)

Examples:

- I was talking to a classmate and absentmindly zipped up my jacket with some of my hair in the zipper. Classmate stared on as I looked sadly at my braid where the zipper caught on for minutes.

- A friend pulled my braid for fun. Stood around with an angryface for a long while ("Grr! Probably made a lot of hairs fall out!!")

- Sleep cap fell off during sleep and hair is tangled mess. "Noooo!":mad:

Am I just crazy or do you all have these moments too? Please share :heart:

MeowScat
June 6th, 2012, 03:51 AM
All the time!

During detangling, hearing the occasional "snap" makes me wince and curse.

Accidentally applying too much oil before having to leave the house.

Rinsing my conditioner out in the shower and 20 hairs rinse out at the same time.

Makes me shiver just thinking about it!

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Ooh yeah, hate the SNAP sound and losing hairs!

What does too much oil do? Does it just look strange or is it bad for the hair?

jasper
June 6th, 2012, 03:58 AM
My hair cringe moment is when I complete a braid but have a shed hair or two that is braided in, but extends a few inches past the end of my braid tassel.

MeowScat
June 6th, 2012, 04:05 AM
All the time!

Accidentally applying too much oil before having to leave the house.

Rinsing my conditioner out in the shower and 20 hairs rinse out at the same time.

Makes me shiver just thinking about it!

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM
My hair cringe moment is when I complete a braid but have a shed hair or two that is braided in, but extends a few inches past the end of my braid tassel.
Haha...I do that all the time and have to fight the urge to rebraid :)

Ocelan
June 6th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Yes!

When I have my hair down for example when I'm sleeping and then I get up leaning on my elbow with my hair under it, jerk my head up and get caught on my hair.

When people playfully pull my hair (especially this one guy who is a good friend, but drunk he often likes to take a good hold of my hair near the scalp into his fist and drag. I swear if that happens one more time, I'm going to punch him!)

And yes, I also hate the occasional snap when I'm detangling! Feels like "oh no, another soul lost in my hair army...". :o

Littlewing13
June 6th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Totally. Im becoming paranoid thanks to LHC. any time I get a few extra shed hairs or see shed hairs on my clothes. The snap when detangling is definitely a cringe moment. When my roots are oily or the ends dry. before I got my turbie towel (this week), feeling the weight of a towel wrapped around my hair & wondering if its pulling hairs out.

anime_length
June 6th, 2012, 05:48 AM
during all times when i'm trying to make my hair look good. between brushing, pinning, even braiding, i feel like i'm damaging it.

also, when i'm in the sun [i live in az] i worry about it damaging my hair.

Syrena
June 6th, 2012, 05:58 AM
I have this moment when I wear my hair down (very rarely) and my boyfriend put his arm on my back and makes this lovely gest of rubbing my back, but together with all my hair! In this moment I think only about hair damage and tangles that this rubbing produces!

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Yes!

When I have my hair down for example when I'm sleeping and then I get up leaning on my elbow with my hair under it, jerk my head up and get caught on my hair.

When people playfully pull my hair (especially this one guy who is a good friend, but drunk he often likes to take a good hold of my hair near the scalp into his fist and drag. I swear if that happens one more time, I'm going to punch him!)

And yes, I also hate the occasional snap when I'm detangling! Feels like "oh no, another soul lost in my hair army...". :o

Yeah, hate catching my own hair, especially when people laugh at me for it :o

:surprise: at your friend's hair pulling...

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 08:41 AM
When my hair tries to eat hair pins shudder:

fayeelizibeth
June 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Whenever I hear a hair break :(

Not really a 'cringe' moment but I now worry about my hair smelling like eggs when I leave the house after a wash :p No one has ever mentioned anything, and my H says it just smells like cinnamon, but I'm totally paranoid over it.

My real hair cringe moment wasn't even my hair. My sister was brushing her hair really roughly right in front of me, and I could hear strands breaking. I kept flinching and she kept looking at me like I was a loon :rolleyes:.

Yozhik
June 6th, 2012, 09:18 AM
snip

I also hate the occasional snap when I'm detangling! Feels like "oh no, another soul lost in my hair army...". :o

What great imagery that conjures up! I love the idea of having a hair army, filled with valiant soldiers growing downwards! :D

I used to have more of these moments, but now I'm a bit more relaxed and prone to wear my hair down, even if it means some damage.

I still do really cringe whenever I see/think about hair caught under purse straps or backpacks, and I try to be very careful when I'm wearing my hair down that it doesn't get abrasion from purses, bags, chairbacks, or seatbelts. :o

EndlessSunshine
June 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
My hair used to get caught in my car door when it was longer.

WaterMusic
June 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Mine is more a long term cringe. I swore that I wouldn't do a baking soda clarifying wash, I know people rave about it, but my hair is fragile and it just sounded too damaging.

So one day I decided to give it a try, just to see. After months of writing it off. My hair dried super curly! It was awesome! I was so excited. So I did it again the next week. And the week after that. And now I am finding tons of splits, waaaaay more than usual, and some far up the shaft. It tangles a lot more because of the damage. I am cursing my poor choices. Never again. I don't care how pretty it looked, never again.

Good thing I've never gotten into dyeing or heat styling my hair, I think it would probably all fall off in protest.

Slug Yoga
June 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM

LOL!

I agree about the dangling shed hairs sticking out of the braid tassel thing. I generally try to gently pull them out, knowing that it's possible it will pull on my hair weirdly and make it feel too tight somewhere. Or that those hairs will snap. And even though those are already shed hairs, it's pretty cringe-inducing.

Also, taking off my glasses and feeling it tug on my hair. It's especially bad when I've briefly put them on the top of my head (bad idea, I know, but it's convenient sometimes) and some hairs get caught in the nosepiece. Because I know it was stupid of me to do in the first place. :P

goldnymph
June 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Totally. Im becoming paranoid thanks to LHC. any time I get a few extra shed hairs or see shed hairs on my clothes. The snap when detangling is definitely a cringe moment. When my roots are oily or the ends dry. before I got my turbie towel (this week), feeling the weight of a towel wrapped around my hair & wondering if its pulling hairs out.

I am right there with you. That snap is almost painful to hear!

afu
June 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Feels like "oh no, another soul lost in my hair army...". :o

Can't get this image/thought out of my head - I can imagine myself getting even more obsessive about babying my hair now!

Snippety
June 6th, 2012, 03:32 PM

The hair army rocks ! That is such a good image :D

I get glasses cringe, and the zip cringe too. My worst cringe though is when I'm hanging out with my son and he'll run up and touch my hair whilst talking to me and I'm thinking "what the hell is on your hands ?" whilst trying not to show him I'm freaking out :p It's even worse when another kid does it, as sometimes happens. I'm just imagining all the food and snot and other unspecified substances they might be putting on my hair, whilst trying to kindly detangle myself.

Amygirl8
June 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Yesterday when I was showering on a whim I used basic bath soap instead of shampoo.
I had a moment of panic when I put it on my scalp, I was worried my hair would fall out or something XD

I did it because I really wanted to trying after seeing this 1950's hair care video. My hair felt a little waxy after the shower, but today IT. WAS. SO. SHINY. I loved it! =D

jacqueline101
June 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
My moments is when I get my hair gets caught in my bag.

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Ahhhh!! The snap!!! Hate this more than anything... :"(

CurlyCap
June 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Not quite the same but

Today I wore my hair in a bun because I wanted my deep oiling to stay a bit longer. My hair hides oil really well, so it just looks like I put it up.

Of course, today is the day that my friends wanted to play with my and as I saw there hands reaching for my head (which I'm using fine with) I just had this inner panic at "Omg, they'll feel the oil! They'll freak out! Should I explain oiling! Should I have to be that defensive?!...."

It was an entire inner monologue in a split second. :P

Turned out, they couldn't even feel the oil at all (or didn't mention it!)

RitaCeleste
June 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
My ex bought a jeep, a soft top. The other day we drove about 30 miles and loaded up the jeep with a desk and chair. So he decided it was hot and he'd just leave the top down. You don't want to scream and cry like a baby but you do on the inside, you really do. I didn't have a pony or anything, my hair was down. First thing I did when I got home was brush it out. I thought I heard 100 hairs snapping, I swear. I go to all this bother to condition my hair and make it soft and he just puts the top down! Then I really got tough with myself because I like wearing my hair down all the the time. I know it takes damage being down but really 30 miles in a jeep with the top down is like throwing your hair into a hurricane. Nature never planned on anyone driving 65 with the top down.

Strelitzia
June 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Oh goodness yes!! And I'm also guilty of trying to then pull out the shed hair... usually to result in a SNAP of a hair somewhere, oh wince! :o You'd think I'd learn by now to just leave it alone!!!:rolleyes:

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't have enough conditioner for CWC, so I just concentrated my shampoo at the roots and saved the conditioner for last. My tangles were so bad and all I had was a really terrible conditioner left and I basically tore through my tangles/knots wet in the shower. I was sure I had fried my hair. So far, though, I seem to be alright.

Hollyfire3
June 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
i cringe when my best friend brushes her WL hair roughly with a hard brush, without stopping to detangle or go slow...soooo many snaps!

l'inconnue
June 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Do past moments count as cringe-worthy? Before I gave up heat styling, I would occasionally straighten my hair before it was fully dry, resulting in an awful hissing sound and a ton of STEAM rising from my head! Eek! At the time it was just an annoyance, but now I can only wince at the thought.

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
OH YES! Especially when I'm brushing my hair and feel it snap!

KwaveT
June 6th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I also don't like snapping hairs when I detangle with my wide tooth comb. I got where I just run the comb slowly until it starts gaing tension. I finger detangle the ends where I just ran the comb up to so I can feel where two or more hairs have caught themselves and gently seperate them.

Fairlight63
June 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I cringe when I take a Ficcare or any hair toy out of my hair& there are hairs caught in it. I try to work it out without pulling out hairs, but sometimes:(.

evieisocoolike
June 6th, 2012, 09:04 PM
When my friend with APL fine, i, fragile, tangly hair doesn't have conditioner at their house where I was staying the night :patrol: . It just happened to be washing night and I had to use her shampoo (co-washer)... And she only had CLARIFYING SHAMPOO :shudder: . I have probably 50 more splits just from that. Currently I'm babying my hair, and bringing my CO and ear-down conditioners to her house when I stay over.

lundmir
June 6th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Whenever a hairtoy gets a bit stuck in my hair! I always get very still and careful trying to get it out.

Natalia
June 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
my major one is when we run out of soft water. i cringe at the thought of possibly having to shampoo to get back on track when im finally on a good streak with wo. i havent washed since march first and id hate to break that streak when both my hair and scalp are happy! dang hard water......

LizTheLyre
June 6th, 2012, 10:30 PM
when my friends say i should straighten my hair, or when they heat style their hair around me. i have a little mental funeral for their poor ends. :(

MeowScat
June 7th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Ooh yeah, hate the SNAP sound and losing hairs!

What does too much oil do? Does it just look strange or is it bad for the hair?
SongofLove - to answer your oil question... it looks too greasy / oily and I get embarrassed but it's not bad for my hair. It just LOOKS bad.

I double posted yesterday... oops! Sorry about that!!

SongofLove
June 7th, 2012, 01:09 AM
When my friend with APL fine, i, fragile, tangly hair doesn't have conditioner at their house where I was staying the night :patrol: . It just happened to be washing night and I had to use her shampoo (co-washer)... And she only had CLARIFYING SHAMPOO :shudder: . I have probably 50 more splits just from that. Currently I'm babying my hair, and bringing my CO and ear-down conditioners to her house when I stay over.

Aw man :eek: So you have to bring an emergency conditioner stash when you stay over huh?

That reminds me of the time when I accidentally used a "moisturizing" shampoo in place of conditioner (as in applied gobs of it to my length because I thought it was conditioner)...My hair was horribly dry for a long time after that :(

kemacr5
June 7th, 2012, 01:21 AM
hair tangling around an earring irretrievably:(

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Definately that snapping sound when I brush tangles. Oh, and shedding tons of hair in the shower (sometime so much I have to stop to unclog the drain *shudder*) or taking down an updo and handfulls of hair comming with it :(

Dragon
June 7th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I cringe when I have to cut out a knot and whan I hear a snap.

lolot
June 7th, 2012, 02:36 AM
All the time!
-When i sleep with my boyfriend he is always pulling my hair by accident, one time i got mad and he told me that i had many more hairs to be mad for one, i felt guilty after.
-When my hair rubs the seat belt or a zipper and i feel it get trapped i think how many broke :(
- When i lay down or fall asleep with out detangling i wake up in the morning with a rat nest

Neneka
June 7th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Every time I hear the SNAP when I am combing my hair I freak out a little. I can't understand how I never noticed the SNAP before LHC! It feels so horrible now.

lacefrost
June 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM
This so much!

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM

This is why I now wear body jewelry instead of earrings with butterflies.

gossamer
June 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Every time my braid catches on my bra strap or exposed metal bits while I'm getting dressed or undressed. Not sure how many hairs are breaking, but it sounds really bad.

braidgirl22
June 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I always freak out about stuff that I think will damage my hair because then I would end up cutting some off.

PixxieStix
June 7th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Oh yeah, current and past.

Past: When my hair was much longer when I was younger, it ALWAYS managed to snag around those horrid metal bolts used to put the plastic part of the chair to the metal frame/legs. The year after we moved away, my teacher called my mother to chat an mentioned that they were STILL finding my hair in those awful things.

Current: Snapping heard while de-tangling (thankfully, this is very rare for me), but the big one is on wash day if a lot of hair comes out all at once, I put all the hairs on the tile wall and them bunch them up to throw away, but if there is more than four strands at a time I have on my hands I go dead inside for a split second.

Faux
June 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I walked my dog today and it started pouring down freezing rain. My blowout is soaking wet and I don't want to wash it again tonight. I'm not happy!

Hollyfire3
June 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I walked my dog today and it started pouring down freezing rain. My blowout is soaking wet and I don't want to wash it again tonight. I'm not happy!

Maybe reblow dry with warm air? Just an idea....

dwell_in_safety
June 7th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Taking off my bike helmet. Eep!

Diamond.Eyes
June 7th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I felt pretty traumatized this last Tuesday when my "friend" at beauty school was playing around with some scissors/shears and suddenly held my braid between the shears; "playfully" chanting, "Don't you make me cut it!" I literally had to beg her to let go of my braid. I was very angry, because if her hand would have slipped, she would have cut a good 18" of my hair off. I left school that day immediately after that incident. That night, I felt very creeped out and texted her and told her never to touch my hair again. That was definitely a cringe-worthy moment...it still give me goose-bumps :(.

SongofLove
June 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM
:ohmy: Diamond.Eyes, your story had me cringing just imagining it!! That's such an awful and creepy thing to do to someone!!

Mrs.Witherup
June 8th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I hate when I'm french/dutch braiding (today it was a french rope) and the pieces I'm trying to braid get tangled at the ends! :disgust: And I don't have enough hands to hold the braid I've been working on and gently detangle, and I'm like :pray: no horrible damage!!

4C4rly4
June 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Today in the shower I was rinsing out the conditioner and a part of my hair got tangled. I had to pull it apart, and it ripped some of the hair >.< and then I had to comb it so it would detangle all the hairs, and a bit of the hair came out and it was in a knot :[ lol, it was just horrible

Dragon Faery
June 8th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Any time I realize I'm being absentmindedly rough with my hair. Eeek!
...I apologize to my hair a lot.

Slug Yoga
June 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I felt pretty traumatized this last Tuesday when my "friend" at beauty school was playing around with some scissors/shears and suddenly held my braid between the shears; "playfully" chanting, "Don't you make me cut it!" I literally had to beg her to let go of my braid. I was very angry, because if her hand would have slipped, she would have cut a good 18" of my hair off. I left school that day immediately after that incident. That night, I felt very creeped out and texted her and told her never to touch my hair again. That was definitely a cringe-worthy moment...it still give me goose-bumps :(.

That's giving me goosebumps too! That is so inappropriate, I'd be creeped out and angry as well. shudder: I'm sorry that happened to you. Good for you, though, for texting her about it. Someone who's gonna be a hairdresser should be more sensitive about stuff like that, yeesh.

Alvrodul
June 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Even before I encountered the LHC I hated hated hated it when my hair was caught under the strap of my shoulder bag or backpack. Which was all the time. shudder::horse:
I also stopped wearing earrings because my hair would tangle with them all. the. time. :(

Thee days, I also cringe when I think back on my very light bleach-blond days.

White Sides
June 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
When you wake up in the morning and some of your hair wrapped around your neck when you were sleeping, you turn around, get strangled a little and think "I can get strangled by my own hair!!" D:

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I cringe when I rip the comb through my hair when some mousse or other product dried in it after no heat curling...i don't always have time in the morning to comb it out properly...my poooorrrr hair!:(

brave
June 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I cringe when my rings get caught in my hair. I wanted to touch my hair but then snag. Woops. But I want to wear my rings.

First world problems.

Jade_Pixie
June 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hairdressers last Saturday, a series of unfortunate events
1. I chose a neutral colour (I should have gone warm)
2. The HD didn't fill in the blonde parts of my hair
3. Three different people worked on my hair
4. The HD washing my hair told me my hair was green
5. The basin water was freezing, it's winter here
6. My hair felt like straw
7. Now I have drab greyish/blackish/greenish hair booohooohoooooo

betsb
June 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM
When you close a window and hair is blowing in the wind, ouch. Also, don't like people to touch my hair.

jasper
June 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Oh goodness yes!! And I'm also guilty of trying to then pull out the shed hair... usually to result in a SNAP of a hair somewhere, oh wince! :o You'd think I'd learn by now to just leave it alone!!!:rolleyes:

:agree: I can't help pulling to see if it slips free, and since it usually isn't going to, I am likely to break it and other hairs while I am at it.

CareBear
June 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM
We have a 'quiet room' in the ladies room at work, a place to rest during split shifts or snow days, there is a couch in there. Anyway, I was in there resting and a woman came in and turned the light on (grr!) and started styling her hair. (I thought this was totally rude as I was asleep, but the only plug outlet is in there and she HAD to curl her hair) She took a section, sprayed it heavily with hairspray, and then curled it with the curling iron. The 'ssszzzzzz' just about sent me up the wall! I think the sound of hair frying in a heat appliance makes me cringe the most.
My cringe moment is back when I thought drying my hair with a flat iron was a good idea...

quintanion
June 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I managed to get my hair snagged in a figure eight while rappelling from the top of a tree (for an awesome research project I worked on). Luckily it was just after my feet touched the ground, but it definitely hurt and one segment was really snarled and broken. I was told that others have had to have someone do an emergency assist/lower them down because of hair getting pulled through halfway down...

RedBlue
June 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
My family and I were at the water park on Sunday. When we were getting our belongings from the locker, a father and his two young daughters were beside us. The father handed the oldest girl a brush and told her to comb her hair out. I was staring in horror! Not only was the girl using a brush on wet hair and pulling hard, she was starting from the root! The younger girl did the same! A woman next to me was cringing in a similar way. She was a hairdresser, as is my mom. We were all cringing! I do hope that the girls washed their hair when they got home! Chlorine (sp?) does not mix with hair!

dollyfish
June 13th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I cringe when my rings get caught in my hair. I wanted to touch my hair but then snag. Woops. But I want to wear my rings.

First world problems.

!!!!!! this is really getting to me as well :(

I've got a beautiful one-size-fits all Tibetan ring with "om mani padme hum" in sanskrit, but it has an open back so even though it's flat, hammered metal it ALWAYS catches my hair... It's my favorite ring, so I wear it anyway and try my best to be careful :laugh: