PDA

View Full Version : are the bristles on my MP BBB damaging my hair?

jenni0416
June 6th, 2012, 12:28 AM
As I decided to dedicate more effort into growing my newly chopped locks back to a long but healthy length, I stumbled over a website prior to finding TLHC. http://www.longlocks.com/how-to-grow-long-hair.htm

I made the commitment to a less-damaging brush and followed this link on longlocks.com. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UZ9Y6/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=longlockshair-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0015UZ9Y6 I ordered the Mason Pearson Extra Large Pure Boar Bristle Brush.

Luckily I read up and got a lot of info on using a BBB from TLHC after ordering and before receiving it so I did prevent possible breakage/damage. I've now used it about 3-4 times.

My main concern is that I've run into some personal experiences on TLHC that the bristles shouldn't be too firm or stiff for fine hair or else it will result in a lot of breakage. :scared: I didn't know which was better at the time I ordered so I just went ahead and bought what longlocks.com recommended since her hair was long and fine, but thick. My hair is fine but not thick. I'm actually thinning. The seller mentions that the BBB is used for "fine to normal hair, fine long hair." The bristles are "Pure premium natural extra firm boar bristle recommended for very long, fine to normal hair" but like I mentioned, that contradicts a lot of info I'm getting here.

Will using this MP Pure CAREFULLY still be detrimental to the overall health of my thinning, F/M, virgin, not too damaged hair?? :confused: The brush cost me a pretty penny so it's tough to just toss it aside without knowing whether it really is all that bad for my hair. Could somebody provide additional insight please?

MinderMutsig
June 6th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I think there's only one way to find out, unfortunately.

I don't like BBB's at all! I always find splits after using one while I hardly ever get a split if I don't use one. But I've seen people with my hairtype swear by their BBB and who wouldn't want to go a day without it. I think BBB's are highly personal so the only way to find out if this one works for you (or if BBB's work for you in general) is by trying it. Just keep a close eye on your hair and stop at the first sign of trouble. I think it would be sad to buy a very expensive brush and then not try it out of fear of something said on the internet. You could be missing out on your new favorite hair tool!

PrincessIdril
June 6th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I use a MP brush, and I don't particularly thick hair either. I have the nylon and boar bristle one.
I've been using it for well over five years and I don't think it's damaging my hair. But everyone's hair is different you might have a different experience with it to me.

Amanah
June 6th, 2012, 05:26 AM
In my opinion, if you hair is well conditioned, detangled, and has slip, a little brushing won't hurt it. I use my BB brush or wooden comb on occasion, but mostly I gently finger comb my hair.

Littlewing13
June 6th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I don't have one, but I've had a bbb before & my hair didn't like them at all. I've heard reports that if your hair is too porous it can tear at the cuticle & cause more breakage & tangles. But yeah its an experience thing. The MP combs are amazing though

Madora
June 6th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Personally speaking, I never had any success with extra stiff bristles (and I shot $80.00 US on a top of the line Kent of London bbb--years ago--that was recommended for long hair).

My thick, moderately fine long hair prefers a brush with moderately stiff bristles (no nylon).

As long as you gently detangle your hair before you brush, and brush gently, the brush should interact well with your strands. A lot of the success of the brush depends on the stiffness of the bristles, the shape and how you brush.

barely.there
June 6th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I found my pure BBB on vitacost.com....I cant remember the brand, but its isn't an MP, and only cost me 10-15$. It has been a lifesaver to mine and my DH's hair. The common belief is that you should not detangle with a BBB, but we do it anyways, slowly brushing from the bottom up. If I detangle with a comb, I'll hit a million snags and it just takes FOREVER. Then once all the tangles are out, we work on distrubuting the sebum down the lengths. My hair is thinner than DH's, so It doesn't take me long to BBB my hair. But DH has more hair than me, so we often brush his hair in layers.

both of us used to brush with those plastic ball tip brushes. even if you start from the bottom and are careful, it just rips everything out :(

WaterMusic
June 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I felt like my BBB was too rough on my hair. I've switched to just finger combing.

I think particularly if you already have damage, then the BBB is going to cause more. But like a PP said, there is really only one way to find out if it works for you or not.

lapushka
June 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I have F hair, though lots of it, and I used a BBB (with nylon bristles added in) for years without any problems. I have a Tangle Teezer now.

jenni0416
June 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone..I guess I shall continue to use it as recommended: gentle smooth strokes after de-tangling with a comb. I REALLY really hope it works for my hair. I'll watch out for any hair breakage but my main focus when brushing is my scalp to help distribute the sebum and provide some stimulation which my wide-toothed comb didn't do...wish me luck!

constructamane
June 7th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hah...I read that longlocks article too before TLHC!!!I STILL have not bought a BBB for the same reason! I was THINKING about buying one for my birthday in Aug. Let me know how it works out!!! Anyone have any experience with the MP verses another less expensive BBB?

swearnsue
June 7th, 2012, 06:07 PM
One thing you can do is after a couple of strokes with the brush, pull out any hairs in the brush and look to see if the hairs are shed hairs with the root ball or if they are broken hairs. If you find that the brush is too much for your hair you might still be able to use it to spread oil through your hair when deep oiling.

ladylowtide
June 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I have F/M hair, with porous bleached hair at the bottom. I have found that my stiff BBB overkill most of the time. I usually just use it on the day before wash day to distribute sebum. Other than that I am a finger comber, and on occasion I pull out the horn comb.

buttercupmcgee
June 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I am pro BBB, and have an MP! The thing I love about it is that it distributes sebum down the shaft of the hair, softening it in the process and also giving the scalp some cleansing.

jeanniet
June 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
My hair is thick, but the hairs range from fine to thick. I have the same MP brush you do, and I don't see damage from it, or at least not any more than what I get from a wide toothed comb or a Tangle Teezer, and the MP feels so good! I make sure to detangle very carefully first, and I only use the brush a few times a week because I'm also a wavy/curly and brushing pulls the curl out (I'm not curly enough that I have to avoid brushing entirely). I would just be very careful about detangling and brushing, but I don't think the brush is likely to damage your hair.