PDA

View Full Version : I think I might be a cone convert...

maskedrose
July 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM
For the last couple of months I've started to really worry that I might have to do a fairly major trim, just when I'm finally starting to feel like a bit of a longhair. For nearly a year I've been completely cone free, I've been wearing my hair up quite a bit and I've been doing a lot of overnight oil soaks and other deep treatments.

However, for the last couple of months my ends have gotten really dry, crunchy and tangly and to my horror as the weeks passed the yuckiness started to move up my length. Last week I was afraid that I would have to chop 3+ inches off, and let me tell you, it made me super depressed :( For some reason midback (approx 29 inches) seems to be a difficult length for me to push through. I've always ended up cutting right about now, but I am DETERMINED to reach waist.

I tried clarifying twice over two weeks but that made no difference, so a few days ago found me in the conditioner aisle, perusing my options. I adore Amorretti's hair (who doesn't?), so I decided to give Dove Intensive Therapy a try. I CO so I was kinda worried that it would be too heavy, but boy, was I wrong. It's perfect! My ends are now tangle free, the shine is out of this world, and I'm still wurly!!

Whew! I am so happy! I know I'll probably have to clarify a bit more with the cones, but its totally worth it. Waist, here I come! :cheese:

spidermom
July 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Good for you, MR. Do what works, not what is popular.

RedCardigan
July 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Glad you found something that works.
I have tried and tried and tried again to go sulfate and/or cone free and it just does not work for me and my hair.

Curlsgirl
July 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
You may find that you can rotate too. I tried the Dove also when i was having tangle problems but found after a week or 2 it weighed my hair down even with shampooing so I went back to no cones and have no problems now. Just a thought. I plan on keeping it on hand if I need it. No one says you have to be one or the other right? I am glad you don't have to cut!!!

Stagecoach
July 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Good for you! I too find that I can't cut cones completely or my hair goes to the dumpster.

daydreamer
July 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I say do what works! Cones make my hair super shiny and slippery -- I just don't use them because they take away my teensy 1b wave, heheh.

rapunzhell13
July 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Good for you! I think cones have gotten a really bad reputation, but they work for me and many others. :)

Riot Crrl
July 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm one of the most anti-cone people you will find, for myself.

I certainly don't think they are bad for everyone. I think they lead to certain problems in some people, and that they are incompatible with certain routines.

Certainly not with all people or all routines.

If you are happy with them, then I am happy too.

HappyKarin
July 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I also hade the same experience as you. Cone free for 9 months and I almost had to cut my hair of. Bhought lots of cone products and now shiny and smoth :)
I found a cone shampo without sls that work great for me.

chrissy-b
July 31st, 2008, 12:58 AM
I think you're lucky. Most of my favorite conditioners have cones, but once I tried going cone-free, I realized my hair is in much better condition and not a stringy mess.

You have no idea how much I miss my Aveda products.

Fia
July 31st, 2008, 01:53 AM
It's the age-old adage - do what works for your hair :)

For myself I'd be a total mess without a small coating of my trusted Biosilk on damp hair to detangle and keep hair smooth when it grows beyond shoulders. That along with a BBB, every-other day washing with GM shampoo (scalp washing once to waist or close to it with a full wash/condition/rinse once a week) and my hair is as happy as ever.

rapunzhell13
July 31st, 2008, 02:13 AM
I think you're lucky. Most of my favorite conditioners have cones, but once I tried going cone-free, I realized my hair is in much better condition and not a stringy mess.

You have no idea how much I miss my Aveda products.

Shampure smells divine! :cloud9:

sipnsun
July 31st, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm cone free on an everyday basis, but if DH and I are going out, I'll use a lv in with cones becuase it masks my dry ends. Use what works for you!

magicatt
July 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
MaskedRose, I had the same exact experience at the same length. I'm really glad you found something that keeps the tangles away so you can continue to grow.

bex487
July 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm glad you found a solution! I'm a cone die-hard, it's all about what works best for your hair.

chrissy-b
July 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Shampure smells divine! :cloud9:

I know! They're all so heavenly scented.

LongForLife
August 1st, 2008, 02:17 AM
I agree with the others. Everyone has different hair, and different things work for different people. ;)

I like my hair much better without cones, but others it actually works better for. ;)

Zindell
August 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM
My hair loves cones. If I go without cones my hair looses it's shine and almost look damaged ...

morgwn
August 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM
I may wind up rotating back to cones when it gets cold again; I'll have to see. But definitely give your hair whatever it's asking for! Since this works for your hair at this point in time and saves you from having to cut it, I'm definitely happy for you. :)

Tangles
August 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
In general, my hair fares better sans cones, (curlier, more lightweight, softer), but there are many situations where I will use cones anyway (if I want it as straight as possible, if I haven't done henna in a while, etc). So here's another vote for "do whatever works for you whenever it works."