PDA

View Full Version : Long hair towels?

Natalia
June 5th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Are they over rated? i have been pondering these for a while. i am disabled and its hard for me to lift standard full size wet towles out of the washer so ive given up on using them but it would be nice to have something to use other than multiple washclothes to blot out my hair. being able to wrap it up would be a plus to me, i hate those few minutes of cold wet hair on me everyday.

they come in several lengths and are usually a lighter microfiber than terry so im hoping that means easier and lighter to handle when wet. but im not sure if its worth it anyone tried one of these? whats your verdict?

lunalocks
June 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I use very, VERY, thin, worn out towels, and use them with the width around my head and the length wrapping around my hair.

brave
June 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I like mine quite a bit. I don't know what brand they are, but I picked them up at TJ Maxx and they are a thin, soft microfiber that just seems to suck the excess moisture right out. I think I dry a lot faster if I wrap my hair in one right after the shower and leave it til I'm done with makeup.

trolleypup
June 6th, 2012, 12:09 AM
The lightweight microfiber towels are great. You can almost hear the sucking sound as they remove the water from your hair. And yes, they are pretty light coming out of the washer (so long as you get the thin cheap ones (or dog towels) and not the fancy thick ones that you can use on your skin).

pepperminttea
June 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I'm another convert; love how light they are, even full of water they're still so much lighter than a normal towel. :) You can find cheaper ones though; I have one that was sold for drying dogs, and I've heard the chamois ones for drying cars are good too.

Suze2012
June 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I have microfibre towels for camping and they are incredibly light even when soaking wet as others have said so I would definitely recommend them to replace your existing towels.

I use 100% cotton t-shirts or pillowcases for my hair though and have ones which are big enough to wrap up.

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I'm so lazy, I don't even use towels sometimes; I just let my hair sit on my back as I'm wearing my bathrobe and laying on my tummy :p

But yeah, those microfiber towels feel so soft and probably work great. I would love to try them.

terpentyna
June 6th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I think a microfiber towel makes a difference. And they're very light IMO.

Nini
June 6th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I bought a couple of dog towels years ago to use for my hair, or when travelling.

And they're great for hair! I don't really like them for my body, but they're good when you're travelling and space is an issue. And I'm sure the weight would be a plus for you.

spidermom
June 6th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I use flannel pillowcases - drop my hair inside it.

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
They make special hair towels (search amazon to see what I mean) but they are *only* for hair (they secure in the back in a turban-esq fashion). I recommend getting hand towels for your hair, especially if you're use to using just wash clothes. Some hand towels are large enough for a head of hair (I have 2 that serve), and they're longer lasting than some turban twist with buttons liable to fall off.

kindacowboy
June 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I have some of the turbie twist and the cheap dollar store knockoffs. They are ok but I LOVE the ones made by aquis...like another poster said you can almost hear them sucking as the wetness is wicked from your hair. I think they are worth the extra cost. Keep an eye out at yard sales and thrift stores as i have picked them up there as well.

swearnsue
June 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Large bath towels are too heavy for me too. I have some old towels that are from the 1960s, they are about the right size and so worn out that they are lighter for my hands and shoulder to handle. I have a small microfibre towel and if you can find a large one that would be perfect! Towels used to be smaller than they are now, they are ridiculous.

Natalia
June 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
thanks for the input everyone i think i will get one when i find a good deal. to those who mentioned the turbie type towels my hair outgrew them in my early teens, i am currently between tb and classic far too long to fit in those comfortrably. but i appreciate the thought. i will keep my eye out for the towels under other maketing like for dogs and cars

longhairedlady
June 6th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I use flannel pillowcases - drop my hair inside it.

Oh I might have to try this!!

pepperminttea
June 6th, 2012, 11:44 PM
thanks for the input everyone i think i will get one when i find a good deal. to those who mentioned the turbie type towels my hair outgrew them in my early teens, i am currently between tb and classic far too long to fit in those comfortrably. but i appreciate the thought. i will keep my eye out for the towels under other maketing like for dogs and cars

Just to say, there are ways to make those still work. :) CinnamonHair has a vid here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJrQyV60Huo) explaining how she does it.

lapushka
June 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Natalia, take a look at this:
How to Wear a Turbie Twist Hair Drying Towel with Extra Long Hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJrQyV60Huo&feature=plcp

constructamane
June 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks Lapushka....I was gonna mention the turbie twist tutorial ...yes they have turbans and towels...and yes I have used the microfiber towels for camping as well...it really makes a difference in drying time.I love them

Faux
June 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I love my turbie twist - it was only $3! It fits up to waist length hair and is very lightweight. I have a lot of problems with my spine so I definitely need a lightweight towel.