PDA

View Full Version : I think I finally get it now...

rena
June 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM
...About satin/silk nightcaps/pillow-cases. Lately, I've been falling asleep on a blanket that's made out of not-so-soft material. I go to sleep with relatively smooth, soft hair, but wake up with terrible frizz that's quite dull and DRY. I think that the material of the blanket is sapping my hair's moisture and roughing it up pretty badly as I move in my sleep. This happens to a lesser extent when aleeping on other things, but it still happens.

In all honesty, when I first read about utilizing satin/silk for the hair whilst sleeping, I thought, "Oh pish-posh, I don't need to worry about that stuff! Hyuck hyuck :P". But now, I'm starting to understand what everyone's been talking about *goes and rummages around for something satiny to sleep on*.

Thus concludes my latest moment of LHC inspired enlightenment :o. I wonder what bullet I'll be biting next?

julierockhead
June 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Yup, the folks around here know a thing or two. When I read about topical treatments for faster hair growth, I snickered because I *knew* that wasn't possible. Tried it though, just for snicks and so I could wave the :bs: flag. Instead, :bigeyes::shocked::disbelief , I was WRONG.

rena
June 5th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Yup, the folks around here know a thing or two. When I read about topical treatments for faster hair growth, I snickered because I *knew* that wasn't possible. Tried it though, just for snicks and so I could wave the :bs: flag. Instead, :bigeyes::shocked::disbelief , I was WRONG.

I know right? Its like when you come here, you gain the ability to defy the conventional laws of hair-physics. Very cool.

ladylowtide
June 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I was like this for putting my hair up before I go to bed. What a fuss, I thought. Well now I can't go to bed with loose anymore. :p

Littlewing13
June 5th, 2012, 11:21 PM
...About satin/silk nightcaps/pillow-cases. Lately, I've been falling asleep on a blanket that's made out of not-so-soft material. I go to sleep with relatively smooth, soft hair, but wake up with terrible frizz that's quite dull and DRY. I think that the material of the blanket is sapping my hair's moisture and roughing it up pretty badly as I move in my sleep. This happens to a lesser extent when aleeping on other things, but it still happens.

In all honesty, when I first read about utilizing satin/silk for the hair whilst sleeping, I thought, "Oh pish-posh, I don't need to worry about that stuff! Hyuck hyuck :P". But now, I'm starting to understand what everyone's been talking about *goes and rummages around for something satiny to sleep on*.

Thus concludes my latest moment of LHC inspired enlightenment :o. I wonder what bullet I'll be biting next?

Totally. I felt the same but at the same time I know that with my fine, easily tangled hair, every hair counts. I <3 my satin pillowcase now :)

Orly? What do u use julierockhead? Im thinking about at least trying monistat for the hell of it.

ApatheticFairy
June 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM
which topical treatments do you mean? >.> i've been thinking of trying the monistat thing, but am still a bit creeped out by it.

Bunnysaur
June 5th, 2012, 11:28 PM

What topicals are you talking about?!?!

jeanniet
June 5th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I used to wake up with a complete rat's nest on my head every morning. Usng a silk cap and pillowcase has made a HUGE difference; probsbly the biggest difference of anything. Glad to hear you agree!

rena
June 5th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I used to wake up with a complete rat's nest on my head every morning. Usng a silk cap and pillowcase has made a HUGE difference; probsbly the biggest difference of anything. Glad to hear you agree!

Yup yup :).

pepperminttea
June 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Ditto! I feel silly about it around non-longhairs, it seems such a princessy thing to have, but it does make such a difference in the morning. :)

Bunnysaur
June 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Ditto! I feel silly about it around non-longhairs, it seems such a princessy thing to have, but it does make such a difference in the morning. :)

:magic: Anything wrong with being princessy??? :p

pepperminttea
June 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM
:magic: Anything wrong with being princessy??? :p

:lol: Perhaps the wrong word; I'd rather not be a 'diva' since it seems to be short-hand for demanding and bratty. ;) But I do love my silk pillowcase...

MeowScat
June 6th, 2012, 02:02 AM
They really do help, I'm amazed.

Two nights ago I was too tired to put it in a bun so I folded my hair into a satin sleepcap and I woke up to no tangles. Unheard of for me. I remembered Cinnamon Hair showing that in one of her videos. Genius!

The silky pillowcases help alot too. I was surprised. :)

MinderMutsig
June 6th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Yup, the folks around here know a thing or two. When I read about topical treatments for faster hair growth, I snickered because I *knew* that wasn't possible. Tried it though, just for snicks and so I could wave the :bs: flag. Instead, :bigeyes::shocked::disbelief , I was WRONG. FYI these definitely don't work for everyone. I tried them all (except for the insane amounts of biotine because I like my liver and would like it to stick around for a couple of years) and I can still wave my :bs: flag because none of them did anything for me. The only time I thought I saw increased growth was while using MN and if I compare that increased growth to my charts for the year before and the year after it turns out I have a growth spurt during that time of year every year.

And I actually have a fungal problem on my head. In fact right now, I use a prescribed cream containing MN and even now it doesn't increase growth or stop my yearly shed and stall.

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Yup, satin pillowcases and sleep caps do make a world of difference! Haha, I love the idea of them being "princess-y" as well :D For one thing, they do look quite pretty.

Covet
June 6th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Another believer here! :) they really do cut down on the frizz and tangles. I've been using a satin sleeping cap for years and I've definitely noticed a difference in my hair's condition.

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Another believer here! :) they really do cut down on the frizz and tangles. I've been using a satin sleeping cap for years and I've definitely noticed a difference in my hair's condition.
Wowow...I love your avatar and sig photos! Your hair is soo pretty. Where did you get your sleep cap? I have the Conair one I got at Kmart :D

myHairGrowth
June 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Me too. It makes my hair so soft and no tangles. I never knew my hair could be so soft by using satin sleep cap.

Zesty
June 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Nighttime updos and silk pillowcases make a huge difference. When I sleep over somewhere and don't bring a silky thing to sleep on, I definitely notice that my hair is more roughed up in the morning. It's one of my few princessy quirks.

afu
June 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM
hmm, maybe i should give it a try - for someone who owns neither, would people suggest a cap or pillowcase as a starting point? I can't help feeling a cap would just fall off

onlyforhim
June 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
i am thinking to give it a try too

dwell_in_safety
June 6th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Satin/silk pillowcases are well worth the money; I bought mine for Amazon for about $7, and I can never sleep on anything else. ;)

BrightEyes
June 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I didn't like the feel of satin (too slippery for my taste) and how it made my head sweat. But I am in love with my silk pillowcase. My hair has virtually no tangles in the morning and is nice and soft.

jacqueline101
June 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I think a satin cap helps with some of the damages and I use monistat as a topical treatment I love it my hair has grown a lot since.

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Well darn, now I feel I really should invest the money in a special sleeping cap or pillow case...

Kosmos
June 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I can't go back to a regular pillowcase after I bought my satin one. Whenever I spend the night at a friend's I wake up with MONSTER hair.

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I use a satin scarf draped over a pillow, it's great, cheap, easy, portable and dries in a couple of hours.

CocoBean
June 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I've been using a satin pillowcase for over a month now, and have since purchased a second one, love it. Also prefer to lightly oil my hair, then bun it at night since it tangles very easily. The oil is literally absorbed overnight, and makes my hair very soft.

Monistat for hair growth? I'll have to research that one, sounds very unusual. :)

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2012, 10:42 AM
hmm, maybe i should give it a try - for someone who owns neither, would people suggest a cap or pillowcase as a starting point? I can't help feeling a cap would just fall off

Both of them take some getting used to, but I'd recommend a pillowcase if you're unsure. :) The caps are normally elasticated so they don't fall off too easily; kind of like a silk shower cap. The elastic never seems to be in the right place for my ears though, if I want them to stay on all night I tuck my earlobes in there too. If I put it on so the elastic is over my ears it cuts in a bit, and behind my ears it just doesn't stay on. I still only wear mine specifically when I want to preserve a hairstyle to be worn the following day. For that, I'd argue a cap is more effective assuming it stays on.

A pillowcase is easier for me most of the time. It was weird to sleep on at first, being used to cotton; it's so much more slippery, it was almost like my head couldn't get a 'grip' on it to stay put. But once you get used to it, the joy of a pillowcase rather than a cap is the skin on my face is happier too; my cheeks in particular are much less dried out than they used to be. :) I'd be intrigued to see the effect silk sheets would have, but sadly the cost for that much fabric is much more prohibitive.

Sammie_holms
June 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I feel like I move too much when I sleep. I mean my feet sometimes end up at the head board. Somehow I think I would need satin EVERYTHING. :p

heidi w.
June 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Mr. George Michael said to treat hair like lace. And as an officionado of long, straight hair, I can tell everyone, that hair care is not about doing one big thing that makes all the difference; it's doing a series of little, detailed things that makes the difference, and the impact.

Sleeping on a rough surface means you're "luffing" the cuticle, kind of like rubbing your hair in a textured surface, and hoping for a great outcome. And as you've discovered, it sort of doesn't work.

When your hair becomes longer, it'll eventually be a lot easier to allow the hair to be loose during the night and it'll stay put most if not all of the night.

I have been sleeping on a satin pillowcase for easily around 10 years now. It's to the point, that I'll take the pillowcase with me on a trip somewhere.

heidi w.

braidgirl22
June 9th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love my satin pillowcase but now I need a satin sheet too since my braid hangs off it or maybe a sleep cap would be good for me.