PDA

View Full Version : Am I using coconut oil wrong?

princess-royal
June 5th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Trying to repair mushy, limp, damaged hair with coconut oil. At first I applied quite a lot but it just made my hair greasy and stick to my head and I had to wash it out twice. Since then I've been putting a very small amount on my hair when I wash it (twice a week), leaving it for 30 mins-1 hour, and washing it out. I've been doing this for a couple of months and haven't noticed any improvement whatsoever. Am I doing it right? My hair is really getting me down (I'm kind of bitter because it was fine until a hairdresser insisted on killing it with straighteners in December...if only I hadn't gone there...) and I want to actually see an improvement.

swearnsue
June 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM
It sounds like you might need a protein treatment. When you say mushy it sounds like it's stretchy? But it definitely sounds like coconut oil isn't working for you.

OhioLisa
June 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
You're not really going to repair damage with anything. The best you can do is treat your hair gently and cut away damage over time.

ravenreed
June 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Try a protein treatment, or a shampoo and/or conditioner with protein. You can even try using mayonnaise on your hair, although I did that once (many, many years ago) and it was very stinky! Also, coconut oil doesn't work for everyone. You may need to try different oils to find something your hair likes better.

MonaMayfair
June 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM
As ravenreed said, coconut oil doesn't work for everyone, nothing does! My hair doesn't like any oils (and I've tried them all!) The most I can get away with is a very tiny amount of argan oil on the ends.

On the other hand, when I condition with catnip my hair feels smooth and soft, and the shine is blinding!

You just have to experiment. I know it's a pain when everyone else seems to be raving about something and it doesn't work for you, I've tried loads of things that are other peoples' Holy Grail but didn't do a thing for my hair!

barely.there
June 6th, 2012, 07:28 AM
definetly try a protien treatment. another option would be to whip up a couple eggs and mush it into your hair as a hair mask for an hour. then rinse out with cool water.

ive tried using coconut oil on my hair multiple times many different ways, and honestly i dont notice a difference. My Holy Grail is just some good moisturizing conditioner (no cones, sulfates, or parabens). twice after shampooing.

RitaCeleste
June 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Try Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. It is less drying than the full on two-step reconstructor. I've tried the expensive brands but didn't get any more bang for my buck. I just picked up 16oz at Sally's for $12. You shampoo, squeeze out the wet so your not too drippy, and comb the reconstructor in and leave it for up to 5 mins, more time isn't going to anything more for it. Rinse well, then put your conditioner on, just put on a plastic cap and leave your conditioner in for 30 mins. Seriously, go watch tv. Then go back and rinse. You use this stuff once or twice a month and it will help mask all sorts of damage. If you hair seems too dry or brittle, skip it and just remember to deep condition once a week. You can keep damaged hair on your head and make it look and feel good.

Long_hair_bear
June 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM
If you need protein, babyface pure protein is great. I use it once a month after my monthly clarify. I'm dumbfounded at your coconut oil issue. I use it once a week as a prewash with no problems. I know some people's hair doesn't like coconut oil though.

princess-royal
June 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess coconut oil is not what my hair needs. I've always been a bit sceptical about trying other things because I thought coconut oil is the only treatment that actually penetrates the hair shaft. I live in the UK so I'm not sure how readily available the stuff you suggested will be, but I'll have a look!

RitaCeleste
June 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
The Joico K-pack should be available there and the Nexus damage repair, can't remember the exact name. These also have good reviews. I tried the nexus one and it works and is easy to use.

ravenreed
June 7th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Argan oil is also good for penetrating. My hair responds much better to that oil rather than coconut, for some reason. What I suggest is that you do a protein treatment first, then see if coconut oil will help. A word of caution though, argan is extremely expensive.

Thanks everyone. I guess coconut oil is not what my hair needs. I've always been a bit sceptical about trying other things because I thought coconut oil is the only treatment that actually penetrates the hair shaft. I live in the UK so I'm not sure how readily available the stuff you suggested will be, but I'll have a look!

Amanah
June 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
My suggestion is to mash an egg, & an avocado together with a tsp of olive oil until it is creamy, then apply the mixture to your hair, leave it on for a few hours and then CO wash it out. Between the egg, avocado, and olive oil your hair should get whatever nutrient it needs.

spidermom
June 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
When my ends were badly damaged from heat styling, they didn't get along with oil at all. You may be at the same point.

princess-royal
June 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Does anyone have any non-oily treatments for damaged hair? The coconut oil seems to have smoothed out the frizz, but I want to try to make the hair stronger.

spidermom
June 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM
My hair loved JPak Reconstructor, but I haven't used it in a long time.

Hgunderman
June 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I've gotten in the habit of leaving it in overnight and washing it out the next day, which has worked really well for me. However, it definitely doesn't work for everybody! I would maybe recommend doing a few catnip rinses to restore some shine and life to your hair, it's super easy to do!