PDA

View Full Version : coloring hair

mom2fourgirls
June 5th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I just went to an indian store and bought 100% natural mehendi... Is that the same as henna??? it says it has Brahmi for growth, aloe vera, methi, amla, neem and hibiscus. Is this going to alter the color of my hair or just condition my hair...

red-again
June 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I just went to an indian store and bought 100% natural mehendi... Is that the same as henna??? it says it has Brahmi for growth, aloe vera, methi, amla, neem and hibiscus. Is this going to alter the color of my hair or just condition my hair...

Unless it says lawsonia inermis then it does not have henna.
If your hair is as dark as it is in your avatar, I doubt the ingredients will alter your colour. Brahmin is conditioning and good for scalp conditions eg dandruff etc and departs little or no colour, certainly nothing lasting. Amla is used to condition and add shine, it also helps keep curl pattern, it browns down the red of henna so at worst will give a brown tone. Neem is just anti bacterial and repels live etc, no colour. Hibiscus will give a red colour but doesn't have any permanency in the hair.

I use henna over very dark brown hair, almost black and notice little difference though. I do now indigo to darken my greys otherwise they are cry brighrpt copper indeed. So on your hair I doubt even henna would be obvious unless you were in sunlight.

mom2fourgirls
June 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM
first ingredient is the Lawsonia Inermis Leaf powder... My hair is not as black as it was in my avatar.. I dyed it with a box dye to dark auburn... Will this make it any redder...

Tisiloves
June 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Possibly, try mixing bit (2tbsp?) with hot water and leaving it in a warm place (until it turns brown or just check every half an hour or so). Stick a tiny bit on your wrist for 30sec-1min. If you get an orange stain you have dye release and it will dye your hair.