PDA

View Full Version : Hot oil treatment, what are your thoughts?

Jeleebaby
June 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I applied a hot oil treatment to the little ones hair today, mainly because I found it while I was having a clear out. The results were pretty good. What are your thoughts on hot oil in general?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/jeleebaby/8ef29afd.jpg

Servana
June 5th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Her hair is gorgeous!! If I thought my hair would look like that, i'd definitely try hot oil treatments. I've been wanting to experiment with oils for a while, due to the fact that they really sink into the hair shaft. The only thing that's holding me back is the fact that a lot of people say oils are hard to wash out. My shampoos can barely wash my own oils out, so I don't think they'd fare well with the likes of EVOO, castor oil, etc.

Jeleebaby
June 5th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I didn't have any trouble washing the oil out. I applied a diluted shampoo directly onto the oil and emulsified it before adding any water (water directly
On the oil has no effect) then rinsed really well.

carolinaberry
June 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
How old is she? I'm asking because my 7-year-old wants hair down to her thighs, and she asked how long it took your daughter's hair to grow so long.

Natalia
June 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
i sort of used to do this. i dont heat oil since i dont want to degade it and im too lazy to do it properly. but i would apply the oil, put a shower cap on, then wrap with a heated towel. similar effect.

Astraea
June 6th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I know some people swear by them. I've found them useful but was always too lazy to bother and I prefer heavier oil-bases like pomades and butters. But the same rationale and benefit behind DCs and DTs apply to HOTs so I think they're groovy, and your daughter's fabulous mane is the proof. Which oils do you prefer? JBCO, EVCO, EVOO, EVAO and a trillion others seem to score high on various sites.

jacqueline101
June 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I used to use them every wednesday before I joined here and I love them. I don't know why I stopped doing it. I had some gave to me maybe its a sign I need to start.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I generally suggest con against hot oil treatments because so many such products have a lot of protein in them. And not everyone needs this much protein on their hair. Protein applications can prove to be a problem often enough.

Just be careful and read the directions and ingredients, and follow them.

Oh, and your daughter has beautiful hair. A very decent starter kit!! LOL

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I know some people swear by them. I've found them useful but was always too lazy to bother and I prefer heavier oil-bases like pomades and butters. But the same rationale and benefit behind DCs and DTs apply to HOTs so I think they're groovy, and your daughter's fabulous mane is the proof. Which oils do you prefer? JBCO, EVCO, EVOO, EVAO and a trillion others seem to score high on various sites.

I have no idea what all these abbreviations mean, really. Sorry. I am aware that LHC uses a boatload of acronymns, but this I can't see what you're referring to. A few of the abbreviations, I get, but not the majority. What is HOT, DT, and DC? What is JBCO, EVCO,EVAO....?

Thank you for educating me.

heidi w.

islandboo
June 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I have no idea what all these abbreviations mean, really. Sorry. I am aware that LHC uses a boatload of acronymns, but this I can't see what you're referring to. A few of the abbreviations, I get, but not the majority. What is HOT, DT, and DC? What is JBCO, EVCO,EVAO....?

heidi w.

My guess would be:
HOT Hot Oil Treatment
DT Deep Treatment
DC Deep Conditioning(?)
JBCO Jamaican Black Castor oil
EVCO extra virgin coconut oil
EVAO extra virgin argan (?) oil

cmg
June 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Perhaps it is time to add som new ones here :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

As for the hot oil treatments: I think they can give superb results, but I am not in favour of any hot treatments at all. Anything like that done repeatedly can and will stress the hair.

/ CMG

gracenotes
June 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I find that I get the same results from heavy oiling as I do from hot oil treatments, but with less fuss. Both make my hair shiny and soft!

Astraea
June 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM
My guess would be:
HOT Hot Oil Treatment
DT Deep Treatment
DC Deep Conditioning(?)
JBCO Jamaican Black Castor oil
EVCO extra virgin coconut oil
EVAO extra virgin argan (?) oil

heidi w.

Lol! Sorry, the cons of my living a primarily text lifestyle:D

islandboo had all correct except the last, it stands for:

EVAO=Extra Virgin Avocado Oil

Jeleebaby
June 11th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Carolinaberry she is almost 8, we cut her hair into a blunt cut bob above shoulder length when she was three and its been growing since then. I trim it as needed, no particular time to it. Around 4 years growth. Her goal is knee length!

Jeleebaby
June 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Heidi w, it's not something I would do frequently, I was very careful about the temperature etc, and thank you for the compliment on her hair. I'm very pleased with it, despite the hard work it brings!