PDA

View Full Version : If you have classic length hair...

4C4rly4
June 5th, 2012, 03:53 AM
What are people's reactions when they see you? Do you get positive comments or looks, or have you ever received negative ones?

And how does the hair make you feel? Beautiful? Unique? Awesome?! :rockerdud

I know the reason why I'm growing mine is because:
#1 - I obviously LOVE long hair and swishing it around!
#2 - Long hair makes me feel unique.
#3 - It's kind of a psychological reason - although I can be a very outgoing person at times, I'm usually quiet, so people don't really notice me. I feel like long hair will make me stand out somehow. :waving:

Ticky
June 5th, 2012, 04:19 AM
When my hair was classic length, I mostly just got the ''ooh it is SO long and pretty!''. I don't remember any especially bad comments. If anyone wanted to say something bad, they kept it to themselves, it seems.

I am a very quiet person, and I never thought about it making people notice me. Actually, I didn't want them to notice me at all :D it probably only made me known as the silent, awkward one with long hair.

My hair makes me feel nice. Now I have it the way that I always wanted it :)

Venefica
June 5th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I have just reached classic hair length. Most of the attention I get is positive, people say it is pretty. I do feel beautiful with long hair, and I like the way buns look on me. I am very proud that I have been able to do the work and patiently wait for my hair to grow, that is a personal victory for me. At times I get questions of why I allow my hair to grow that long, or if I have to use allot of time grooming, and off course there is the odd you should donate it comment, but other than that most responses I get to my hair is positive.

Hypnotica
June 5th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I very seldom let my hair down at work, but the few times I do (maybe 3-5 times/year) I usually get the comment "Your hair has grown so much!".

About a month ago, my hair was down briefly when a user came in to our office. She stopped dead in her tracks and blurted out "HOLY MOLEY, your hair is long!" That was quite fun.

I look very petite and young with my hair down.

WaitingSoLong
June 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I get positive comments. I cannot think of one negative one, and I am sure I would remember it. I get called rapunzel from time to time, especially if I have braid waves. The long, blonde, wavy hair seems to elicit more comments. The other day it was "wow you have rapunzel hair"

I have been told I have extraordinary hair and thus I adapted that to my guru name.

I have been asked if I sit on my hair. Mostly I get asked if I have ever cut my hair (in my life), how long it took me to grow my hair this long, or occasionally how I wash my hair (same way everyone else does!).

The #1 comment I get is: WOW....you have REALLY long hair.

Really, though, the comments haven't changed much since about hip length or TBL which seems to be the breaking point of "normal" to "unusual" and the face I have blonde hair seems to elicit more comments. It must stand out? I have gotten comments about how someone has never seen hair as long as mine before but there was a long brown haired woman in the store, too. ?? SO I think a lot of comments are due to my hair type/color.

How do I feel about it? Well, at this point I have been between TBL and Classic for about 2 years now and the luster has faded. I actually feel my hair is rather short (that is a TLHC skewed standard I am sure). Long to me is knee+. I suspect when I get there, long will then be ankle or something.

I do feel it is my best feature. But I am really hard on my self and have very low self esteem.

spidermom
June 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I've only received positive comments, as well as the ambiguous "your hair is SO long." Yes it is.

BelleBot
June 5th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I've only been classic for a few months, but all I've had is positive comments. I get called Rapunzel a lot or Ariel from the little mermaid as I have red/pink hair.

I love my hair, it makes me feel feminine and unique as such long hair is rare nowadays.

Madora
June 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
What are people's reactions when they see you? Do you get positive comments or looks, or have you ever received negative ones?

And how does the hair make you feel? Beautiful? Unique? Awesome?! :rockerdud

I know the reason why I'm growing mine is because:
#1 - I obviously LOVE long hair and swishing it around!
#2 - Long hair makes me feel unique.
#3 - It's kind of a psychological reason - although I can be a very outgoing person at times, I'm usually quiet, so people don't really notice me. I feel like long hair will make me stand out somehow. :waving:

My hair makes me feel unique but I rarely get comments on it, mostly because I never wear it down.

When I did wear it loose, I was once compared to Cousin Itt of the Addams Family..which pleased me since Cousin Itt had gorgeous hair.

My hair has also been compared to a shawl and a horse's tail. I've also been asked if my hair was all mine. I also overheard one elderly gentleman ask his wife "How did she braid her hair like that?" It pleased me no end:D

mira-chan
June 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I don't wear it down much, even in a braid and I have to wear it up/ tied back at work fro safety. So I don't get comments much. When I do wear it in a braid I get the occasional "Wow, it's long" comments.

As for feeling... Erm, like me I guess.

Herb
June 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
My hair is closing in on knee, and I only wear it in a braid (work, doing activities) or down (most of the time), and I get lots of positive feedback, especially from older women. I work at a small grocery store, and people comment A LOT. So much so that my manager suggested that I write "Yes, this is my hair and it is long. No, you can't touch it" on my nametag. Though I'm actually not weirded out by strangers touching it ... however, one lady who came through my line actually took a picture. XD

Anje
June 5th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Mine's a few inches short of classic (I tend to find the ends too thin if I let it get much longer), but I only get positive comments when I wear it down. As well, of course as the standard "your hair is so long!" As it's usually spoken with a tone of awe, I take it as a compliment.

trolleypup
June 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
My hair is almost always up at work (for safety and sensibility) but from time to time I'm trotting about and my hairstick comes loose so I am trotting about with no time to put it back up and I always get some amazed/stunned positive comments.

When I am out and about with it down, it isn't unusual to get comments (no negatives though).

Snippety
June 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I'm just back at classic after hacking back to hip in 2010. I always have my hair in a plait so I get asked by my friends "How long is your hair when it's down ?" quite a lot. I can't think of any negative comments I've had. My feelings about my hair changes quite a lot. Somtimes I love it, and sometimes I feel like it makes me look too feminine and hippy and I want to shave it off. I think the rarity of long, natural hair amongst women of my age here in Britain is what keeps me going. I like to look unusual and put 2 fingers up to all the beauty "advice" :p

Loreley
June 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I rarely wear it down but when I do I always get comments, mostly from women. I've never gotten any negative ones in real life. They always say the usual "wow, your hair is long", "how long have you been growing it?", "it's beautiful, don't cut it", "you must use tons of shampoo", etc. Anything beyond hip length is pretty rare where I live so people can ask funny questions. A couple of days ago someone asked me if I could comb it alone. :confused: :p
Having hair this long makes me feel unique and a bit rebellious. :wink:

Dragon Faery
July 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
*Bump!* This is a fun thread. :)

MeowScat
July 28th, 2014, 07:34 PM

And how does the hair make you feel? Beautiful? Unique? Awesome?!

I can't believe I can actually contribute to this thread, I never, ever, ever thought I'd reach Classic. People's reactions are usually them staring or doing a double-take. Of course I've gotten the "are you going to donate it" question and my answer is always, "no". Then I hear the lecture. Ugh.

Little girls seem to be the most fascinated. I had it in a low ponytail (a very rare thing) once while standing on line at the mall and a little girl stared at it the entire time.

My Mom loves to tug on it while smiling and saying, "it's so long!" She prefers me with short, layered, permed and bleached hair, but she seems to like touching it at this length.

I don't wear it down much, so it's my little secret. It makes me feel a little bit unique which is rather nice.

Great thread, thanks for bumping it!

Quixii
July 28th, 2014, 08:02 PM
To join the other posts, I get comments ranging from the ambiguous, "your hair is so long!" to very nice compliments, like saying I have Rapunzel hair or beautiful hair or whatnot. :o

SongofLove
July 28th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Hehe I feel the same way as MeowScat -- my hair is my (not so) little secret! I don't like to wear it down because I don't want to deal with the inevitable tangles, but also, I like that it's pretty much just for me! It makes combing/brushing something I look forward to, because it's the only time I get to see my hair's full length. I like to comb luxuriously in front of the mirror and pretend I'm some princess or noblewoman from ancient times :D

embee
July 28th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Only my fairytale ends are classic, so my hair doesn't really look that long. But sometimes I am asked to demonstrate how I make my updo (one stick only) and when I pull out the stick and the hair falls I get "Oooooh, your hair is so long!" Which it really isn't, when I look at other LHC peeps. ;) Only one person asked if I were going to donate, and she had just done so herself. I said *NO*.

So I'm agreeing that my hair is my secret. I enjoy combing and brushing it as I *always* wanted it long and thought Iit would not grow (big stall at BSL from teens to 30something) and sometimes when I'm home I'll put it in a low pony just to feel it on my back or brushing against my elbows. ;)

Federica
July 29th, 2014, 04:02 AM
When I was at classic (now I'm growing it back after a big chop) I almost always wore it down, and got many comments around.
Many people just stopped to look at me with eyes wide open, many others commented on me with each other, like "have you seen that girl's hair? you think is it a wig?"
Sometimes some courageous stepped by and ask if it's real or extensions, and I got several times the "toilet paper question", which I think is totally gross.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2015, 01:33 AM
Bumping this thread because I think it's such a great one - I'm not at classic myself yet though:)

Mimha
May 21st, 2015, 04:49 AM
I like to read everyone's story here ! :)

When I had classic length hair, about 10 year ago, I actually did not get many comments. People in my country (Switzerland) are quite shy, and personal comments about someone else's appearance is considered rather intrusive. I kind of suspect some cultural frustration behind the way people would refrain to give a free compliment. The religion has taught us that modesty is a key virtue, especially with things related to appearance and beauty. (People see no objection in having a big car or expensive clothes, though. But when it comes to a body part...). So I have almost only got comments from people who knew me and felt allowed to comment, positively or negatively. But I remeber the last time I cut my hair from classic length to a bob, all the ones who had shut up until then suddenly woke up to exclaim what a pity I had cut my beautiful long hair ! :lol:

The bar tender lady where I took my café-croissant in the morning said "Oh gosh, why have you cut your hair ?? It was soooo beautiful !"

I saw her many times looking at me when she thought I was not paying attention, but she had never told me anything before that day. I often felt that she didn't like me being noticeably attractive with an attribute considered nice for a young woman but not for a lady of 40+ like me (and her^^). She was a tall woman looking like a truck-driver, with a bleached hedgehog pixie and lots of tatooes. I suspect she was secretely pleased that I would not be so noticeable anymore in her own bar !... ^^

I've got that comment several times, from people who had never seemed to pay attention to my hair before. I also got some polite (or statisfied) compliments about my short cut, looking "more trendy, modern, young, etc." which made me rather doubtful because I don't understand how short hair can "look young" when it's mainly sported by older ladies !... :rolleyes:

Another time was in the autobus : the driver - a good looking man in his 55+ - who had always tried to flirt with me (and always been disappointed by the fact I was not overwhelmed by his devastating charm), exclaimed : "WTF have you done to your hair ?? :bigeyes: It was much better before ! You don't look like anything anymore now !..."

Useless to say that I was flabbergasted by his directness, and quite depressed also. :( I had cut my hair because of health problems and heavy hair loss, not because I particularly wanted short hair. And by the way my bob wasn't bad looking at all, and it was not his business anyway !! :steam

Another time was a colleague who was apparently pissed off by the occasional attention I got from my long hair. I was working with my hair done in a TBL braid that day and she said : "what the point in letting your hair grow so long when it's so thin ? Your braid just looks so skinny ! To have such long hair, you must have a decent amount of it, otherwise it's not beautiful at all."

There again I was shocked. My hair is not particularly thin, but well, it's all a matter of appreciation. Anyway "skinny" and "not beautiful at all" sounded kind of rude. Then I realized that the girl saying that had very fine silky blond hair, nicely cut into an elegant bob (I had complimented her several times about it but never got any compliment back for her part). I guess that she had given up the idea of growing it out due to its thinness and probable belief she had got from bad comments about it. I don't remember what I replied, if I replied anything. But another colleague was in awe of my hair and often stopped with broad eyes to admire it, and one day he said : "You have fairy hair, my dear !...". That made my day ! Well, that made my year, I should say, because it shut the other one up better than any other comment from my part.^^

I also remember when I was working in Sudan. My hair seemed to fascinate the girls in the souk. I always kept it bunned, though, to avoid stares and comments (Sudan is an islamic country where hair is considered as a major seduction attribute). But even my bun was a matter of amazement. I heard the girls behind me talked to each other and wondering how long it could have been when down^^. But they were too shy to ask me. My Eritrean colleagues were more complimentary, and we exchanged many hair experiences and tips. :) The ladies there have an amazing way of plaiting their hair or rolling it into small ringlets, just like the ones we can still admire on the Ancient Egypt tombs.

LeMimi13
May 21st, 2015, 04:56 AM
When I had classic lenght hair, i got so many comments, specially as its thick, wavy and blondish, which made me get rapunzel comments :3

Linguaphilia
May 21st, 2015, 05:56 AM
Comments on my hair are rare in Belgium. People admire it secretly though, especially men. In Switzerland, where I go regularly, there once was an old man who noticed my braid and said it was a pity women don't do that nowadays anymore. That made my day.

harpgal
May 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM
For my part, classic length is the most beautiful of all the different lengths. It certainly looked the best on me when I wore my hair maiden-style....which was rare, indeed. I have overshot classic a bit, but it will always be my favorite. If I ever trim back it will be to 45 inches which is one inch below classic on me. I am 5'7" tall.

It has been a while, but I can't remember too many comments, either positive or negative. Folks around here were kind enough to speak nicely about my tresses but "out there", I can't remember anything. Perhaps that is because it is quite a shock to see hair in real life at classic length and people just don't know what to say.

How did I feel about having hair that long? Absolutely beautiful! I felt unique and special, especially considering my age at the time...in my mid 50s.

To my knowledge, there is no other length that is as classic as classic. :D

StellaKatherine
May 21st, 2015, 09:43 AM
My hair is couple of inches from classic. I do get mostly comments like " your hair is so long " and " did you ever cut it `?" . I had weird situation last week when me and coworkers went to a bar for a drink and my hair was down because that day somehow my hair was spitting everything :) Anyway, a coworker asked me to put my hair up. I did, and then afterwards started to wonder what was the problem.... I guess she felt disturbed by it.

truepeacenik
May 21st, 2015, 09:46 AM
Harpgal,
I'm aiming to knee and beyond, jokingly terminal minus two inches, and I'm bemused by your statement that classic was your favorite length on you.

Yet, you pushed on.
What stirred that?

and to answer the OP,
I've been at classic many times. I'm just beyond it now, week or two away from claiming upper thigh.
it seems to be the "friendly freakishly long point."
People are are equal parts amazed and confused with it.
why? Is a common question.
because! is a common answer. ;)

A new therapist, male, asked if I planned to donate it. I said that I couldn't find an organization that needed my hair more than my money, and that I'd rather finds go to research and treatments.
And then mentioned that it's kind of like asking if someone wants to give a liver lobe, in terms of invading personal choices.
Luckily, I was on the marrow registry until two years ago, when I exceeded the age. And I'm a full bone, tissue and organ donor, with medical school donation as a back up.

He he completely got what I was saying and apologized.

starfire
May 21st, 2015, 10:01 AM
Mimha, I loved your stories. Thank you for sharing!

StellaKatherine, wow, that's kinda rude of your coworker to ask you to put your hair up? I mean, unless you were cooking her food or something, I don't see how it's any of her business!

endlessly
May 21st, 2015, 10:22 AM
Back when my hair was well past classic, the reactions were very mixed. Whenever I would wear my hair down or even let it down in order to readjust my hairstyle, people tended to look shocked and surprised. I would occasionally get a few "Oh, your hair is so pretty!" comments, but more often than not, I received a lot of the "backhanded compliments" as I like to call them. Basically, when a person sounds like they're complimenting you, but in actuality, they're making a really offensive and sometimes cruel comment. Whenever people would be shocked by the length of my hair, I normally heard, "Wow, I had no idea your hair was that long because it looks so thin when you wear it up." or "Wow, your hair's really long and it looks healthy, but I bet you never wash it and that's pretty gross."

There were only a handful of times I received truly negative - sometimes threatening - comments, but thankfully those have been rare. Mostly, it's a lot of being told I should donate and when I say that I'm not growing it out to do that, people get mad. Normally, I'd just try to ignore them and go on my way, but the more it happened, the cheekier my responses became. Eventually, I just told people that if they were so concerned about donating hair, why aren't they doing it - and most of the time, they'd offer some excuse before storming off. I've also had a few people over the years threaten to cut it or worse, shave my head. One coworker did that at a past job and when I brought it up to my manager, I was told that I was "asking for it by wearing my hair down". Really? I'm asking to be assaulted because I took my hair down? Some men are just jerks.

When it really comes down to it, however, I have long hair because I love my long hair - I love how it feels and makes me feel, and I love how it looks.

Anje
May 21st, 2015, 11:09 AM
I'm fairly newly at classic (having finally decided that I can handle the fact that it fairytales, LOL) and usually wear it up. Earlier this week, I took it down to redo a bun. A labmate saw and commented that my hair was the perfect length. :D I think she's a bit obsessed with my hair now.

Mimha
May 21st, 2015, 11:10 AM
Back when my hair was well past classic, the reactions were very mixed. Whenever I would wear my hair down or even let it down in order to readjust my hairstyle, people tended to look shocked and surprised. I would occasionally get a few "Oh, your hair is so pretty!" comments, but more often than not, I received a lot of the "backhanded compliments" as I like to call them. Basically, when a person sounds like they're complimenting you, but in actuality, they're making a really offensive and sometimes cruel comment. Whenever people would be shocked by the length of my hair, I normally heard, "Wow, I had no idea your hair was that long because it looks so thin when you wear it up." or "Wow, your hair's really long and it looks healthy, but I bet you never wash it and that's pretty gross."

:bigeyes: People can be so mean !! I know this kind of acid compliments so well because I got sooo many from my aunts and cousins, whose hair was really a big issue (it seemed that all of them were in competition about it : the thickest, the shiniest, the longest, the waviest). Thinking about it makes me smile today : what better proof of their jealousy ?

There were only a handful of times I received truly negative - sometimes threatening - comments, but thankfully those have been rare. Mostly, it's a lot of being told I should donate and when I say that I'm not growing it out to do that, people get mad. Normally, I'd just try to ignore them and go on my way, but the more it happened, the cheekier my responses became. Eventually, I just told people that if they were so concerned about donating hair, why aren't they doing it - and most of the time, they'd offer some excuse before storming off.

It's the best answer one can give^^. By the way, this is a typically American phenomenon. I have never heard of hair donation before I came to LHC ! The market is flooded with extensions coming from Asia, so if somebody wants hair, he can get some for cheap at every street corner.

I've also had a few people over the years threaten to cut it or worse, shave my head. One coworker did that at a past job and when I brought it up to my manager, I was told that I was "asking for it by wearing my hair down". Really? I'm asking to be assaulted because I took my hair down? Some men are just jerks.

:bigeyes: That's simply amazing !... What about punching his face because it's just an offense to move around with such an insulting face ???
- Ooops, sorry, I couldn't refrain punching your f***** face. It's just too provocative ! If you don't want to get punched, cover it, man ! :lol: :lol:

harpgal
May 21st, 2015, 12:58 PM
Harpgal,
I'm aiming to knee and beyond, jokingly terminal minus two inches, and I'm bemused by your statement that classic was your favorite length on you.

Yet, you pushed on.
What stirred that?...
truepeacenik, what a pleasure to "see" you! Well, what happened to me is what happens to so many around here. I loved classic but wondered if I could achieve greater lengths...fancy that! I always thought finger tip length was so beautiful and romantic, so I very slowly got there. Then, I realized that thigh length just wasn't for me. I'm not sure if it was pure aesthetics because the hemline wasn't at a definitive place. So, onward I went, wondering if I could make it to knee. When I reached knee, I stayed there for about 3 years. I really loved knee! At this point, I'm nearing lower calf and am about 6 inches from ankle. What kept me in the game is wrapping a single braid around my head. It is the most comfy style I've ever had and I think it looks good on me. Now that I am able to barely tuck the end of the braid behind where the braid begins (for the third wrap), I guess I'll hang in there until ankle, if possible.

So, there you have it. But, I have to say, it is all a great mystery as to how long ones tresses will get. And that is what makes it so much fun!

lulikrueger
May 25th, 2015, 08:45 AM
When my hair was classic, back when I was about 6 to 13 years old, I would get some comments about how long and straight it was(not many people have naturally straight hair in my country) and I would always wear it down. A couple bad things happened and I think they're worth mentioning. Once, at a classmate's birthday party, a girl who wasn't exactly fond of me, tried to set it on fire with a lighter, but my mother saw it and took it from her. I was only 8 years old! :( Then, when I was 9 or 10, another girl cut a streak of my hair for this crazy bloody mary-like legend we have around here, to summon her. I have a lot more bad experiences than good ones, sadly.

DweamGoiL
May 25th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I read through this thread and was amused and delighted for all the positive comments. I currently do not have hair anywhere near Classic, but did have it as a child and came pretty close again around 2004, but since I had a baby, the hair took a backseat and I cut it to around SL. Now, I have been maintaining somewhere between WL and TBL. However, the comments are still about the same. I am in my 40's and it's rare to see a woman my age with hair that is not straightened, blow dryed, and bleached, and particularly not past BSL. For the most part, since I wear it down quite often it's the "Your hair is getting SO long" or if it's a person I have just met "your hair is SO long". Here, no one would dare ask if you are going to donate it. It would be considered VERY rude although I did get that when I cut my hair when I had the baby. The hairdresser was quite annoyed when I took my braid home to give it to my husband at the time. I think he was more saddened by me cutting my hair than me.

Now, I have one coworker who is so passive-aggressive and says things like "the long hair makes your hair look thin at top". Yes, it's thinned in the last year, but it's due to health reasons and genetics not because it's long. Everytime we have a conversation about hair, which is not very often, but she mainly brings them up, she must always work in a reason why I should cut my hair and it's never anything good. The entire time she's staring at my hairline instead of looking into my eyes. Her behavior is so over the top, it just makes me feel sorry for her. Yet, recently, she went out and got herself really long braided extensions so now, I just pay her no mind. I know the comments are coming from a place of insecurity rather than anything else.

Other than that, I get a lot of your hair is so healthy comments and people are more amazed that I don't use heat to dry it or flat irons and such. They are also quite intrigued when I tell them about henna if the subject comes up. I do have grey and sometimes I leave the greys out a bit longer than maybe I should so it's not a secret, there is a process to hide them. The fact that it's entirely natural and so old school just kind of blows their minds.

cat11
May 25th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I know I dont have classic length hair (but I really do admire it! and I want it!) but I thought maybe I should mention that while people wont say it to your face, there are some who will make "butt mop" comments. I dont really have freinds that are female anymore other than my coworkers and we dont talk about hair much but when I did my freinds would make negative comments on hair that was past BCL being "butt mop" hair and I've heard a couple adults say that too when they saw people. It makes a difference if the ends are scraggled or fairtytailed versus kept up with trims , too. If it's not certain people make "dirty hippy" comments (I personally love hippies and would identify with them <3) and think you're just lazy. Certain people place a stigma on hair thats longer than that length because they ignorantly assume it's dirty just because THEY cant imagine caring for it.

Of course, most people will think its pretty and compliment you or be jealous, I think! But there is this negative thinking sect out there to keep in mind (if you care about that, and I don't think you should.) But it doesn't hurt to be aware, just to fully cover the topic :) You ~may~ have someone in your life who feels this way and keeps obtrusively hinting you should cut your hair -_-

I know for one when my hair gets longer than TBL i'm going to start getting backhanded comments about getting a hair cut from my mother -_-

I want to grow my hair to knee to you should already know what *I* think about such nonsense

Endlessly's horror stories are some of the worst I've ever heard. "Asking for it?" wow... such ignorance. As I recall you used to work at a beauty counter though, right? I can see a higher amount of people who were overly judgmental or insecure working at such a place :/

SummerCherie
September 9th, 2015, 04:57 PM
This is a good thread. I read the whole thing. I am about 4 inches from classic length. I think it is interesting to hear comments and reactions from the people around you. One of you said no one commented on your hair until after it was cut. I found that interesting. :)

DreamSheep
September 9th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Not quite classic but hoping to hit it soon - but generally my hair gets a positive reaction :)
Some people who are more used to me when I had short hair sometimes ask when I'm going to cut it.

And a "friend" seemed to make what felt like a back-handed comment whenever I wore it down like "you care so much about your hair, aren't your ends going to get damaged wearing it down?" (but not really in a "I'm worried about your hair" and more in a "put it away" kind of way).

I found Mimha's account quite funny - I was in Switzerland recently, and I've never had so many (random) compliments over my hair and people *grabbing* it and asking if it is real. :p Anyway, I'll check in properly when I do hit classic.

I found it interesting to read other people's experiences, and I'm pained to see some of the jealousy and ignorance some people have displayed to people here :-(

Inching Along
September 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Great thread! The longest my hair has grown was waist length when I was 6 and midback length when I was 10, so I don't have stories about its length. I'm hoping to grow my hair to midback/BSL, and because I am 47, I anticipate that I might get some odd comments. I'm eager to see what happens...but my hair is only 16.5 inches long right now. :)

MINAKO
September 9th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I do get noticed a zillion times more with my hair down, but i'm not a very approachable person i'm afraid.
Guys would usually like it or pretend not to like it for some stupid reason. I don't get alot of compliments from other girls unless they want to ask me anything about my haircare, or its an ocassional "oh that's so nit modern, why don't you cut t up to here"
..."up yours!!" I think, lol. I don't care about opinions. What matters to me is looking in the mirror and like what i see.
Being surrounded by a ton of people with similar legths or even longer i don't think its truly unique, but rather uncommon in public. Sometimes i dont like the attention so i hide my hair inside my sweater while i walk. Makes sense, right?!

meteor
September 10th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I do get noticed a zillion times more with my hair down

Oh yes! :agree: The biggest reason I like wearing my hair up is comfort but also avoiding that kind of attention. If I wear it down or if I'm having an updo malfunction in public, it's almost guaranteed that I'll be stopped by some strangers with comments that I'm not sure how to respond to (I'm not too witty/funny/quick on my feet), comments that surprise and stump me the most are: "You should donate to Locks of Love" or "Have you ever cut your hair?" or "Do you use gallons of shampoo every wash?" or "How can you go to the bathroom?" (yes, those are adults (!) who ask that :bigeyes:)... I mean, what can one respond with: tips on potty training? :lol:

That said, almost all of the reactions are super-positive and super-sweet, lots of Rapunzel/Lady Godiva references, lots of interesting haircare questions and all... People are generally really, really nice and friendly about long hair. But be ready for some surprising questions/comments once in a while, because they do happen! ;)

trolleypup
September 10th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Oh yes! :agree: The biggest reason I like wearing my hair up is comfort but also avoiding that kind of attention. If I wear it down or if I'm having an updo malfunction in public, it's almost guaranteed that I'll be stopped by some strangers with comments that I'm not sure how to respond to (I'm not too witty/funny/quick on my feet), comments that surprise and stump me the most are: "You should donate to Locks of Love" or "Have you ever cut your hair?" or "Do you use gallons of shampoo every wash?" or "How can you go to the bathroom?" (yes, those are adults (!) who ask that :bigeyes:)... I mean, what can one respond with: tips on potty training? :lol:

That said, almost all of the reactions are super-positive and super-sweet, lots of Rapunzel/Lady Godiva references, lots of interesting haircare questions and all... People are generally really, really nice and friendly about long hair. But be ready for some surprising questions/comments once in a while, because they do happen! ;)
The trick is to remember your clever responses so you can use them next time.

fairy_hair
May 17th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Wore it down to let it dry in the outside air the other day...
First time wearing it down outside in the year...
Got cat-called. xD
I guess that means its nice, at least.

lapis_lazuli
May 17th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I have hair past classic and plan to grow much longer :D I rarely wear it down so I don't get a lot of comments. Only those close to me know how long my hair is and the feedback is generally positive :)

fairy_hair
May 17th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I have hair past classic and plan to grow much longer :D I rarely wear it down so I don't get a lot of comments. Only those close to me know how long my hair is and the feedback is generally positive :)

Same here - I always have it up so it's like a little secret! :D

Topcat123
March 31st, 2019, 07:14 PM
I’m getting closer to classic length by about 1-1.5 inches. My family and friends were surprised by how heavy it is. It doesn’t feel heavy to me. I would put on my beanies with my ends tucked underneath a satin bonnet. I’m the only member of my family to do the nautilis bun. I had my first attempts towards the end of 2018. I admire how my braids look both front and back. It took me 3 years and 3 months (December 15 2015 was my last haircut and donation) to get from my shoulders to my current length (getting closer to classic length). I couldn’t watch Aladdin (1992) the whole time throughout my journey because I didn’t want to be jealous. Jasmine to me in the 27 year old movie to be is the arab Rapunzel. (Sits between classic and knee length depending on how we look at her.) I’ve always had short hair up to my shoulders as a kid till I was 10. Then, I had some length. Between ages 11 and 16, it always sat at mid-back length. Years later, between ages 16 and 20, I’ve missed having hair past my breasts. At 20, I got it to go to my waist. At 21, a friend of mine was telling me about extremely long hair in girls and women. That’s when I was serious about hair growth. Got it past my waist at 22, past hip length at 23 and tailbone length several months later. And now I just have a couple more months till I get to classic length. Yay.

blesseddamozel
March 31st, 2019, 07:24 PM
This thread was fun to read :) makes me excited to hit classic one day!!! I'm really sorry for those who had negative experiences though :( some people have no tact....

Dark40
March 31st, 2019, 07:30 PM
I have just reached classic hair length. Most of the attention I get is positive, people say it is pretty. I do feel beautiful with long hair, and I like the way buns look on me. I am very proud that I have been able to do the work and patiently wait for my hair to grow, that is a personal victory for me. At times I get questions of why I allow my hair to grow that long, or if I have to use allot of time grooming, and off course there is the odd you should donate it comment, but other than that most responses I get to my hair is positive.

Congratulations on just reaching classic length! :) I think if I was at classic I would get positive feedback too. I bet your classic length hair is pretty. I also agree with you that long hair also makes me feel beautiful too. It makes me feel more feminine. I'm so glad too that you were able to patiently wait for your hair to grow. I am patiently letting mine grow as well to classic length. I've got 9 more inches to go before I get there!!!! Yah!!!!! :) No, I wouldn't listen to people that tell you to donate it.

AmaryllisRed
March 31st, 2019, 09:00 PM
Congratulations on just reaching classic length! :) I think if I was at classic I would get positive feedback too. I bet your classic length hair is pretty. I also agree with you that long hair also makes me feel beautiful too. It makes me feel more feminine. I'm so glad too that you were able to patiently wait for your hair to grow. I am patiently letting mine grow as well to classic length. I've got 9 more inches to go before I get there!!!! Yah!!!!! :) No, I wouldn't listen to people that tell you to donate it.

Check the date on that post. ;)

lapushka
April 1st, 2019, 06:35 AM

Yes I think Venefica is much much longer right now.

lapushka
April 1st, 2019, 06:35 AM
I’m getting closer to classic length by about 1-1.5 inches. My family and friends were surprised by how heavy it is. It doesn’t feel heavy to me. I would put on my beanies with my ends tucked underneath a satin bonnet. I’m the only member of my family to do the nautilis bun. I had my first attempts towards the end of 2018. I admire how my braids look both front and back. It took me 3 years and 3 months (December 15 2015 was my last haircut and donation) to get from my shoulders to my current length (getting closer to classic length). I couldn’t watch Aladdin (1992) the whole time throughout my journey because I didn’t want to be jealous. Jasmine to me in the 27 year old movie to be is the arab Rapunzel. (Sits between classic and knee length depending on how we look at her.) I’ve always had short hair up to my shoulders as a kid till I was 10. Then, I had some length. Between ages 11 and 16, it always sat at mid-back length. Years later, between ages 16 and 20, I’ve missed having hair past my breasts. At 20, I got it to go to my waist. At 21, a friend of mine was telling me about extremely long hair in girls and women. That’s when I was serious about hair growth. Got it past my waist at 22, past hip length at 23 and tailbone length several months later. And now I just have a couple more months till I get to classic length. Yay.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Blossoming Bird
April 2nd, 2019, 12:19 PM
My hair loses about six inches because it's so curly, so last time I straightened it (for a special occasion) it hit classic length. Nearly every older lady I came across said I looked like Crystal Gayle 😂 Nowdays, it's down ro my hips normally.

Guitargod
April 2nd, 2019, 03:26 PM
I was in a mall with my girlfriend and went into a store to find her. As I was walking in a little girl ran past me, looked up at me and then ran out again.
I think she wanted to see if I was a man or a woman.

Dark40
April 2nd, 2019, 07:35 PM

Ok, thanks. :D

Groovy Granny
July 23rd, 2019, 09:42 PM
I was in a mall with my girlfriend and went into a store to find her. As I was walking in a little girl ran past me, looked up at me and then ran out again.
I think she wanted to see if I was a man or a woman.

That is hilarious....and cute :lol:

I was away when you posted your last pic....your hair looks amazing....congrats on your milestone :heart:

Guitargod
July 23rd, 2019, 11:27 PM
Thanks :) I also had a fun experience here in China. I was walking with my family in Shanghai with it down and this Chinese man - probably around 60 years old - just froze with his mouth wide open and said something like whaaa... My daughter and I couldn't stop laughing when we were far enough away for him not to hear it :)

AutobotsAttack
July 24th, 2019, 01:28 AM
1. Having grown my hair to Classic is awesome. All the naysayers now have no choice but to leave me alone.

2. If and when I have it down at work, I can’t even begin to count how many times I have to tell folks, “Yes my hair is real, no you may not touch it.”

Groovy Granny
July 24th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Thanks :) I also had a fun experience here in China. I was walking with my family in Shanghai with it down and this Chinese man - probably around 60 years old - just froze with his mouth wide open and said something like whaaa... My daughter and I couldn't stop laughing when we were far enough away for him not to hear it :)

Priceless :thumbsup: :lol:

menninkäinen
March 17th, 2020, 08:37 AM
I get positive comments, or neutral. A common question is "Can I braid your hair?", well it's nice to have your hair braided, so why not :) (Nobody wanted to braid my hair when it was shorter, tailbone/classic length seems to be braid-appealing.) People who see my hair down are usually friends and family, and I guess I have nice friends and family :D

My hair fits to my beauty ideal, obviously, and I love how it feels and looks when it's down, almost like a cape. For some weird reason I also love the idea that my hair length is over half of my own height :P