PDA

View Full Version : Hair gets oily quickly

Arianwen
June 4th, 2012, 01:00 PM
...it didn't use to..

Ever since I had my son nearly 16 months ago, my hair behaves differently (I swear!) it seems to need a wash every day or my hair is obviously greasy?! It used to take me DAYS to build up sebum.

I do not like washing my hair too frequently, I'd rather draw it out a few days but I feel gross going out in public a greaseball. :/

coneyisland
June 5th, 2012, 03:27 AM
You might cover it with scarves. Then nobody else would know.

Servana
June 5th, 2012, 03:44 AM
My hair has always been like this. My skin, too. I'm just a very oily person. Therefore, I am used to washing my hair every day. If I didn't, there would be oil dripping onto my forehead, my skin would break out & it would be absolutely grotesque. I'm not sure why pregnancy has affected you as such, you'd think your hormones would have stablilised by now.. If your hair is not *extremely* oily you could try washing it every other day & using a dry shampoo on the days in between if you have to go somewhere.

Amanah
June 5th, 2012, 04:15 AM
this works for me:

Giovanni Direct leave in conditioner
I use this on my hair when it gets greasy and it makes it less greasy

a little dry shampoo on the crown and temples of my hair,
lightly brush it through, it makes hair less greasy.

LILBERT
June 5th, 2012, 04:33 AM
This has happened since I gave birth to my daughter a year and a half ago. It gets greasy daily, with the recent hot weather I have needed to wash it twice a day a couple of times. Ive been CWC'ing and holding the length and ends out of the way to try and keep my hair from getting too fry from frequent shampoo'ing.

SilverDoe
June 5th, 2012, 04:53 AM
It's based on hormones for me, and usually happens during spring/summer/ovulation/stress. But the more I shampoo, the more sebum my scalp has to produce.
Silicone/paraffin free CO has been the solution, it calms the production somewhat as it doesn't dry out my scalp, I can wash often without drying out and it minimizes the damage on my length.
A light cheap conditioner to thuroughly wash my scalp, and a heavier one for the length if needed.

It was also reduced when taking an essential fat blend which stabilized my hormones, such as Udos choice.

Arianwen
June 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hmmmm very interesting.

I don't condition as my hair is just past my shoulders now, it doesn't seem to need it? My ends aren't dry as yet.

I *do* have approximately a ton of cheap conditioner back when I was doing CO-only washes, with the insanity of having a toddler, I was preferring to just shampoo and get the heck out of the shower, you know?

Tisiloves
June 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Conditiooner might be an idea. I put dilute conditioner on my roots and it gives me at least an extra day, I think it's because it fools your scalp into thinking your hair is already sebumy.

Anje
June 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM
For what it's worth, if I shampoo frequently, my scalp gets more oily. It almost certainly would even more if I didn't put conditioner on the scalp afterward (my cheap, cone-free stuff isn't all that different from lotion, after all). It seems like it's reacting to the drying effects of shampoo by producing more oil.

Not everyone has this sort of reactive scalp, but it's worth considering that yours might be, unless you know otherwise.

lapushka
June 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have oily hair. It needs to be washed a minimum of 2 times a week for it to be somewhat presentable. What has helped is to use a harsh shampoo, like Herbal Essences or Pantene. With it, my washes can be stretched to about once every 5 to 6 days - at the most, but then I have to say being presentable isn't part of the equation. My conditioner is applied twice after washing, though, mainly because the shampoos are so harsh.

Lady Neeva
June 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I have an greasy scalp. I recently found out that I was a conehead as well, by using Pantene Classic Wash every two days.

Arianwen
June 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I forget what "conehead" means?

Tisiloves
June 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM
A user of (sili)cones.

Arianwen
June 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Ah...does this mean the greasy feeling is due to cones, or that I need more cones?

lapushka
June 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Ah...does this mean the greasy feeling is due to cones, or that I need more cones?

Depends. Cones can be a factor in greasiness on the scalp (a little bit). Does your shampoo contain silicones?

Arianwen
June 5th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I do not know. I have been using a generic dandruff shampoo as the moisturing poo from Costco was not cleaning my hair well enough....

The generic shampoo says for "normal to oily hair" so I thought it would be good but my hair feels...coated/weird.