PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about mold in the home and sebum

Lexie
June 4th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have experience with mold in the home?--Specifically whether or not it has an effect on the quality of your sebum. It would make sense to me that it would have an effect on it, but I'd like to hear from people who actually experienced a difference or know someone who did, and what it was like.

heidi w.
June 4th, 2012, 12:27 PM
What kind of mould are you speaking of? If Black mould, it's important to remove the mould, not live with it. That can affect the quality of air you breathe.

I am completely unaware of mould and sebum interactions, though. Let's google that and see what pops up?

http://www.raysahelian.com/fungus.html

This is all I found hinting at the possibility of an issue. One can get mould and mostly fungus on the scalp skin, but I've never known of an instance of this being derived from mould.

Interesting question.

heidi w.

swearnsue
June 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
If you have mold in your home you need to get that handled for the sake of your health. Until then I would rinse with diluted vinegar.

Kiwiwi
June 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I don't know the effect on sebum but I also want to urge you to get it removed.
It can cause serious health problems if you keep breathing the toxic air.

Lexie
June 4th, 2012, 11:48 PM
We moved and we're working on getting the health department to condemn that place. I'm just trying to pinpoint the reason for the change in my sebum since moving down south. I'm not ruling out the water, but I was curious about the mold exposure possibly contributing to it.

Heidi, yeah, I wasn't able to find much of anything myself using google, but it may be that others didn't notice because they shampoo regularly. My niece, for instance, washes her hair every single day, sometimes multiple times a day. I imagine it would be hard for her to notice a difference in her hair due to that. I was mostly WO (with at least two weeks between washes) with a BSO wash once every couple months, so the changes were very obvious and drastic for me. I just didn't know if it was due to the crappy water down here, the mold exposure, or both.

lmfbs
June 5th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I have no answers, but I just want you to know that I've pondered this question for a good 4 hours. THanks for the mental stimulation at work!

Lexie
June 6th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Glad to be of service. :)

BlazingHeart
June 6th, 2012, 01:30 AM
In addition to the water change, humidity and temperature changes can make a difference in your sebum - if you've moved from north to south, that transition can make for decided changes in scalp and skin. I noticed a big (positive) change in my skin when I moved from So Cal to Philly, even though the water was better in So Cal.

I can't say I've heard anything about mold affecting the sebum, though.

~Blaze

Lexie
June 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM
It is hotter here than it was in Washington. The humidity is not really different, but with the added heat, it's not fun. I grew up in the Caribbean though (high heat and high humidity), and I began WO there. Would my scalp have grown unaccustomed to the heat then?

The only difference I've noticed in my daughter's hair is it now mats easily from rubbing against her car seat. That never happened in Washington. In fact, it started very suddenly when we hit a certain state--we drove down here from Washington. I cut her hair short and cut a silk pillowcase to fit over the top of her seat. All was well until my husband washed the seat and didn't put the pillowcase back on it--about a year after the first matting occurred. Within a few days, her newly grown hair had matted too.

Whatever is causing our hair issues, it's related to being here. I can't wait to move.

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 03:21 AM
Does anyone have experience with mold in the home?--Specifically whether or not it has an effect on the quality of your sebum. It would make sense to me that it would have an effect on it, but I'd like to hear from people who actually experienced a difference or know someone who did, and what it was like.

Yes both i and my mum have had a very bad experience with mold in the home and it affected our scalps before anywhere,first we had very bad oily scalp and sever SD if that wasn't bad enough our hair fell out in big chunks unknown to us there was toxic black mold lurking hidden in our home for quite some time,this took time to find out as drs gave up on our symptoms as they had tried to treat us for years with no success then when we found out our scalps calmed down its a slow recovery but a recovery all the same,scalp oil was the first thing to notice with recovery then SD easing and hair loss slow down but recovery with mold is a very slow thing it can take a months but yes it does affect sebum,hope this is of help to you.

dogzdinner
January 18th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quite alot of mould in my house and there has been for years but I dont think its had any effect on my hair or health in general, at least nothing Ive noticed. So given Garnetgems' response Id say it must depend on the type of mould and general conditions.

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 04:17 AM
Quite alot of mould in my house and there has been for years but I dont think its had any effect on my hair or health in general, at least nothing Ive noticed. So given Garnetgems' response Id say it must depend on the type of mould and general conditions.

Our mold was black toxic mould which i believe to be the worst kind and it affects the skin and hair we experienced other health problems along the way such as bleeding gums and digestive issues and food intolerance's the list was endless but it began with our scalps its now been cleared our symptoms seemed to be easing with some gone altogether,anyone with mould i urge you to get it seen to.

Wildcat Diva
January 18th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Yes both i and my mum have had a very bad experience with mold in the home and it affected our scalps before anywhere,first we had very bad oily scalp and sever SD if that wasn't bad enough our hair fell out in big chunks unknown to us there was toxic black mold lurking hidden in our home for quite some time,this took time to find out as drs gave up on our symptoms as they had tried to treat us for years with no success then when we found out our scalps calmed down its a slow recovery but a recovery all the same,scalp oil was the first thing to notice with recovery then SD easing and hair loss slow down but recovery with mold is a very slow thing it can take a months but yes it does affect sebum,hope this is of help to you.

Just something to keep in mind when bumping old threads where there is a problem to solve... The member in question is often long gone and unlikely to see your reply or even remember making this thread. The OP has not logged in since June 2012.

If you just want to talk about it, that is one thing, but hoping to help the OP seems kind of pointless as I am sure the issue is not relevant anymore to her most likely, or if it is, it's very unlikely she would log in to see it.

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Just something to keep in mind when bumping old threads where there is a problem to solve... The member in question is often long gone and unlikely to see your reply or even remember making this thread. The OP has not logged in since June 2012.

If you just want to talk about it, that is one thing, but hoping to help the OP seems kind of pointless as I am sure the issue is not relevant anymore to her most likely, or if it is, it's very unlikely she would log in to see it.

I realise this person is not here to see this reply i answered thinking maybe this would help anyone else in a same or similar situation,just trying to help i often do this with old threads on other sites too and have seen older threads than this being replied to on here.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Our mold was black toxic mould which i believe to be the worst kind and it affects the skin and hair we experienced other health problems along the way such as bleeding gums and digestive issues and food intolerance's the list was endless but it began with our scalps its now been cleared our symptoms seemed to be easing with some gone altogether,anyone with mould i urge you to get it seen to.

That is scary! So how did you clear up your health? Once you removed the mold did your health recover or did you have to take medicine?
And how did your scalp recover? Did you have to use special shampoo or did you just use your regular shampoo/conditioner?

Also, where in your house was the mold? Sorry for all the questions. I did find black mold on a wall of ours once. I cleaned the wall with
bleach but that was all I did. SCARY stuff!:blueeek:

Arctic
January 18th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Completely off-topic, but the title mold in the home gave me chuckles. It reminded me that in Finnish the word for mold is "home". It's always so funny when Finns have hung texts on the wall that say in English: Home sweet home. It's like Mold sweet mold. :D

Wildcat Diva
January 18th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I realise this person is not here to see this reply i answered thinking maybe this would help anyone else in a same or similar situation,just trying to help i often do this with old threads on other sites too and have seen older threads than this being replied to on here.

Oh, ok. When you quoted the OP and then said that you hoped it helped her, that was where I suspected that you didn't understand that OP was not around anymore. It wasn't clear that that speaking generally was what you were doing. I just didn't understand what you were going for, and I have seen it before where other people get all worked up trying to solve an OP's problem in other revived threads, for example, telling her again to move, etc, with them not noticing the date as being an old problem.

I just thought it bore mentioning as this is a thread speaking to a particular person's problem as opposed to a "let's talk about mold and sebum" general thread.

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 09:32 AM
That is scary! So how did you clear up your health? Once you removed the mold did your health recover or did you have to take medicine?
And how did your scalp recover? Did you have to use special shampoo or did you just use your regular shampoo/conditioner?

Also, where in your house was the mold? Sorry for all the questions. I did find black mold on a wall of ours once. I cleaned the wall with
bleach but that was all I did. SCARY stuff!:blueeek:

Once mold was cleared then its a matter of wait with the health as only removing the mold can help with the health issues its caused,we are still in recovery stage it is so slow we didn't take medicines for it but we have to be on a strict gluten/wheat free diet as its messed up our digestive system,our scalps are still a little scaly and we do get some shedding quite often but nothing like it was in the beginning where we lost clumps daily,we tried Nizoral and all kinds but nothing worked as of course it was from within after breathing in mold spores if you breath the spores in it restricts the blood supply to the scalp resulting in hair loss and SD we now use a regular shampoo and conditioner,and did you know that even touching a small spot of mold can release millions of spores,

the mold was in many places in the home to be honest most rooms but was well hidden we found it behind furniture and under carpets and floor boards and the strange thing was we couldn't even smell it or we would have realized sooner,turned out it was a leaking roof again not realizing until damage was done but now home repaired and mold cleaned up so hopefully we will recover fully at some point,cleaning with bleach is good it kills it but we had to paint the whole inside of our house with anti-mold paint to prevent its return as it will do so,rooms were bathroom bedrooms,living room utility room,kitchen landing and hall,

it is scary i agree as we would experience nose bleeds dizzy spells bleeding gums and of course the hair loss it caused too.

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Completely off-topic, but the title mold in the home gave me chuckles. It reminded me that in Finnish the word for mold is "home". It's always so funny when Finns have hung texts on the wall that say in English: Home sweet home. It's like Mold sweet mold. :D

Lol really :)

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Oh, ok. When you quoted the OP and then said that you hoped it helped her, that was where I suspected that you didn't understand that OP was not around anymore. It wasn't clear that that speaking generally was what you were doing. I just didn't understand what you were going for, and I have seen it before where other people get all worked up trying to solve an OP's problem in other revived threads, for example, telling her again to move, etc, with them not noticing the date as being an old problem.

I just thought it bore mentioning as this is a thread speaking to a particular person's problem as opposed to a "let's talk about mold and sebum" general thread.

Ah yes i see how it must have looked and i did see the date and felt she most likely wont see it but felt others who have had bad experiences with mold may benefit from the answer and already others have come forward with mold experiences,but i will think how i write it out next time as not to confuse others.

Annalouise
January 18th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Once mold was cleared then its a matter of wait with the health as only removing the mold can help with the health issues its caused,we are still in recovery stage it is so slow we didn't take medicines for it but we have to be on a strict gluten/wheat free diet as its messed up our digestive system,our scalps are still a little scaly and we do get some shedding quite often but nothing like it was in the beginning where we lost clumps daily,we tried Nizoral and all kinds but nothing worked as of course it was from within after breathing in mold spores if you breath the spores in it restricts the blood supply to the scalp resulting in hair loss and SD we now use a regular shampoo and conditioner,and did you know that even touching a small spot of mold can release millions of spores,

the mold was in many places in the home to be honest most rooms but was well hidden we found it behind furniture and under carpets and floor boards and the strange thing was we couldn't even smell it or we would have realized sooner,turned out it was a leaking roof again not realizing until damage was done but now home repaired and mold cleaned up so hopefully we will recover fully at some point,cleaning with bleach is good it kills it but we had to paint the whole inside of our house with anti-mold paint to prevent its return as it will do so,rooms were bathroom bedrooms,living room utility room,kitchen landing and hall,

it is scary i agree as we would experience nose bleeds dizzy spells bleeding gums and of course the hair loss it caused too.

Wow, that is a terrible mold problem you had. Awful. I didn't know that it could cause someone to be unable to digest gluten!?! I'm gluten intolerant as well. I'm glad you guys are better now but its a high price to pay to loose hair and have to eat gluten free for the rest of your life.
No - I didn't know that touching it released spores. I cleaned a small spot of mold off the wall from a washing machine leak. I should have worn a mask to clean it so as not to inhale the spores.shudder: I'm really glad you're better now.