PDA

View Full Version : Combination Braided Styles (like in Game of Thrones) on Type 4 hair?

carolinaberry
June 4th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Hey. I'm wondering if any of you guys know how I can do some of the Game of Thrones styles on my daughter, who has hair ranging from 3b/c-4a/b....It holds braids great, but due to the shape of her hair, the unbraided part looks puffy and detracts from the look. The puffiness of it really bothers her, but she wants to wear this type of style. Do you guys know how we can get it to lay flatter/smoother without having to use heat? Here are 2 styles we tried just messing around. The flash makes it looks like she has a huge bare spot, but she doesn't.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/aprilmstuckey/Hair/riahbraids.jpg http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/aprilmstuckey/Hair/riahbraids2.jpg

Oh, and she has never watched the show (being only 13), she just has looked over my shoulder as I admired pictures of the hairstyles online and watched tutorials on youtube.

katsrevenge
June 4th, 2012, 03:18 AM
It's very cute.

Perhaps a heavy serum or oil for frizzy hair to slick it a bit?

carolinaberry
June 4th, 2012, 04:11 AM
In the 2nd style I was adding this olive oil stuff before brushing it. It did help some. I think maybe it just needs to be done when freshly soaked in the shower and slathered with conditioner (which we don't rinse out).

torrilin
June 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Her hair looks really good in those pictures. As a fellow straightie, I have no idea what to try, but I do wish my hair took that nicely to braids :)

squintinschool
June 4th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Try and use styles that have the braids covering more of the loose hair? Also the tighter the loose sections are the less puff/wave I in my updos; I have wavy hair, and even for me loose hair can look puffy/messy, especially if I don't pull things too tightly (however, there's a balance between tight enough to look good and too tight as to be uncomfortable). I'd lean toward the more braided looks, so that you have less loose hair to deal with. Also, there will be a degree to which you can't copy the styles, for they are done with 1a wig hair almost certainly, however you've done a brilliant job so far in creating gorgeous updos.

Tisiloves
June 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Have you tried dampening and caterpillar braiding the rest, it might help tame the puff when released.

JaneinMarch
June 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
A wet set is likely a good idea. My braids always looked best when I did them right out of the shower.

AmbeBaby
June 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Wet hair and conditioner work well with my hair to reduce puff/frizz. You can also try using a leave in on wet/damp hair and putting gel over the leave in. The leave in/gel combo gives my hair less of a puffy look and more of a wavy look. The leave in/gel combo may work for her hair, too, to reduce the puffiness.

carolinaberry
June 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Have you tried dampening and caterpillar braiding the rest, it might help tame the puff when released.

What is caterpillar braiding? When we wash her hair,we use the Tightly Curly method and leave conditioner in it and define each curl. It always looks great. But, I brushed it to gather it into sections and so it puffed. Maybe I could gather the curls gently without brushing when I section it...

Tisiloves
June 4th, 2012, 05:24 PM
What is caterpillar braiding? When we wash her hair,we use the Tightly Curly method and leave conditioner in it and define each curl. It always looks great. But, I brushed it to gather it into sections and so it puffed. Maybe I could gather the curls gently without brushing when I section it...

The caterpillar braid is really just a ponytail that's ponied all the way down (ie multiple bands), it should hold things without disturbing the curl pattern too much. Have you tried finger combing sections?

AmbeBaby
June 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
The caterpillar braid is really just a ponytail that's ponied all the way down (ie multiple bands), it should hold things without disturbing the curl pattern too much. Have you tried finger combing sections?

I think the caterpillar braid is another way to say 'banding'