PDA

View Full Version : LHC guilt

Miss Catrina
June 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Does anyone else feel kind of strangely guilty when their hair likes something not generally endorsed my LHC?

I've been using Mane n' Tail for the past week or two - and every day, at that - and despite all that I know and preach about the evils of sulfates - it has improved my life. My hair doesn't tangle after washing anymore, and it actually feels clean - something I wasn't achieving with sulfate free shampoos.

And now I'm wondering if I even need to use conditioner (since coconut oil followed by shampoo seems just fine). But it's like "Hair, what's wrong with you, you aren't supposed to like this!" :p

Thenolegirl
June 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Don't feel guilty! lol =) Good for you that you found something your hair liked.

My aunt told me Mane&Tail made her hair feel like straw - so I never used it :P gonna have to ditch that advice now! :)

I use Aussie - cone-filled and sulfate loaded. I do use lots of conditioner and coconut oil after, though. I don't think I'll ever be hardcore LHC unless I feel it really, really needs it.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
No I don't I live by my own rules do what feels good. When my hair is at its peak I feel good. I do use products most people would find strange.

meteor
June 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Absolutely! I'm so glad other people feel this way too.:) I love using SLS shampoos at least every 7 - 10 days. I also like to wear my hair down (sometimes I feel that putting it in a very bun is way worse). I also see improvement in hair when I start shampooing a bit more frequently... but I try not to do that just because of LHC prescriptions. There are also natural things (some herbs and rinses) that messed up my hair, but LHC community seems to rave about... I guess everybody's hair IS a bit different...

Miss Catrina
June 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Don't feel guilty! lol =) Good for you that you found something your hair liked.

My aunt told me Mane&Tail made her hair feel like straw - so I never used it :P gonna have to ditch that advice now! :)

I use Aussie - cone-filled and sulfate loaded. I do use lots of conditioner and coconut oil after, though. I don't think I'll ever be hardcore LHC unless I feel it really, really needs it.

I feel like it makes my hair dry very, very gradually - which is why I'm excited to see how coconut oil changes things.

Also, I swear my hair has grown a ton in the past month, so I can't help but wonder if the urban legend about it increasing growth is true...

brave
June 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
I just started using the mane and tail conditioner. I'm a little worried maybe it will freak my hair out with protein, but I used to use it just fine. We'll see.

I say if shampoo works for you, indulge! I think LHC is less about one right way (shampoo with no sulfates once a week, oil with something you didn't know you could get oil out of, finger comb, wooden comb, bbb, in that order, exotic bun with a fork) and more about pioneering a lot of different options and figuring out what works for you. We have people washing with herbs and people washing with shampoo and people not washing at all and people washing with conditioner and so on.

caadam
June 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hey, I say you do what your hair likes. There are plenty of people here whose hair loves sulfates, and whatevs. If it works, then it works.

I think Torrinpaige uses Pantene Pro V exclusively? I remember her talking about it in one of her vids. That stuff is loaded with sulfates and silicones, but her hair is gorgeous and it does fine. She really likes it, and that's all that matters. It works for her.

However, if I were you, I'd keep some conditioner close by, because while your hair might not seem to need any further conditioning now, it might later. Better to err on the side of caution. ;)

Miss Catrina
June 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Hey, I say you do what your hair likes. There are plenty of people here whose hair loves sulfates, and whatevs. If it works, then it works.

I think Torrinpaige uses Pantene Pro V exclusively? I remember her talking about it in one of her vids. That stuff is loaded with sulfates and silicones, but her hair is gorgeous and it does fine. She really likes it, and that's all that matters. It works for her.

However, if I were you, I'd keep some conditioner close by, because while your might not seem to need any further conditioning now, it might later. Better to err on the side of caution. ;)

Oh, believe me - there are like a half dozen conditioners in my bathroom. :p

HintOfMint
June 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
I feel a different sort of guilt. If I recommend something that has been working for me, but later on, that same thing stops working for me, I feel bad for having recommended it.

Also, recommending certain "precautionary measures" such as wearing hair up, which I hardly do anymore, makes me feel a bit guilty too. For the record, I do think wearing hair up reduces tangles and damage, but at this point I'm willing to risk it. Still feel kinda bad. :o

caadam
June 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Oh, believe me - there are like a half dozen conditioners in my bathroom. :p

Well, then wash away, my fellow LHCer. lol :disco:

Sivan
June 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
I'm new here.

I think you should do whatever you want!!

Tia2010
June 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
I say do what your hair needs and likes with no guilt :)

I used SLS shampoo's until I found LHC and it didn't have a bad effect on my hair. My hair was in good condition when I joined (much better now though :D)

I went SLS free as an experiment to see if my hair liked it and in doing so I found a SLS free product I loved... But if I found a HG product that had sulfates I would use it. :)

Kittykins
June 3rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
I feel the the LHC is more about discovering what your hair does and doesn't like above everything else.

catamonica
June 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
I use mane & tail. In 2009 my hair grew from past midback to waist. Thenolegirl, tell your aunt to add a capful or two of olive oil to the shampoo. It will soften the hair.

catamonica
June 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
That mane & tail shampoo really helped. It does help your hair grow to a certain length. You
should use whatever helps your hair to look & feel better.

luxepiggy
June 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Nope. No guilt here (^(oo)^)v

Kira94
June 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM
That awkward moment when you're on the index and can't tell if this thread is about guilt or a quilt . . .
I got a bit excited for a moment there. xD

On topic though, just do what works for you! If you like how your hair is acting with it then who cares if it's not supposed to work? :)

PolarCathy
June 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM
LOL hell no, I don't care.

I use Man 'n Tail now myself, after years of water-only one could say that's a big setback. Reverting to not only shampoo but sulfates? Granted I dilute it well, but I use the shampoo every 4...8 days and the MnT condish much more often (as a leave-in). I don't care what anyone says, LOL. It's my hair. And this is the best shampoo I've ever tried.

Ticky
June 4th, 2012, 02:27 AM
No guilt here, either :)

Kiwiwi
June 4th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I believe LHC is all about stopping to try and fit the mold, letting go of the idea that there is a one-size-fits-all approach to haircare, finding out what your hairtype is and learning to take care of it so it feels and looks as good as you want it to :)

So, don't feel guilty whatsoever! :D

Theobroma
June 4th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Nope, no guilt here -- one thing I've learned on LHC is that the "right" thing to do is... whatever happens to work best for my personal head of hair.

Currently that's mild shampoo (yes, with some SLeS in) and no conditioner, because I discovered that a few drops of EVOO make my hair just as soft as conditioner does.

Long_hair_bear
June 4th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I dunno, I'm with Torrin. My hair loves coney condishes and serums, so I use them. Also, I like wearing my hair down... Makes me feel pretty!

Miss Catrina
June 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM
That awkward moment when you're on the index and can't tell if this thread is about guilt or a quilt . . .
I got a bit excited for a moment there. xD

On topic though, just do what works for you! If you like how your hair is acting with it then who cares if it's not supposed to work? :)

You just made me picture a quilt made out of hair... I guess that would be more of an afghan?

Hollyfire3
June 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I use sulfates, some cones and mousse whenever I wash...I feel bad about it at times, but it works, so its fine by me!

Amber_Maiden
June 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Well, I only out up my hair sometimes now... not sure if my hair "likes" it though- and it's definitely not great for my hair. I do feel guilty about that.