PDA

View Full Version : Can S&D improve hair health in the same way as a trim?

PrincessIdril
June 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
So I acknowledge that my hair could probably do with a trim, it's been a couple of years since I last had one. However I simply don't like going to the hairdressers, and I don't trust myself to cut my own hair, so I started an "aggressive" S&D regime a few weeks ago.

By aggressive I mean I'd spend a good 20+ mins on it every couple of days and I've removed a lot of white dots and splits. There is still a lot of work to be done, but my hair suddenly feels a lot bouncier and healthier. Given that S&D is the only new element in my routine, I figure it's logical to assume it is the reason for the sudden improvement in my hair. Which makes me want to stick with doing it rather than going to the hairdresser.

So what do you guys think? Anyone else had similar results to me? Do you think it's possible that a regular S&D could be just an benifical to overall hair health as a trim?

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I found that if I S&D too aggressively this can result in some thinning of the hair because although the hair length becomes smoother, and less tangly, keep in mind that when you cut from just above the point of damage, you're also removing length of a hair strand. Underneath the damage point in a given hair strand the hair can actually be somewhat healthy. The worst kind of damage is white dots, not splits. White dots leads to hair breaking off a whole lot more easily than splits. White dots are a compromise of the cuticle, a break in the integrity of the hair's cuticle. So take it easy. S&Ding can be highly addictive, I have found.

heidi w.

Amygirl8
June 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
In my opinion, I think that if the damage isn't really bad or you're willing to invest a lot of time into it, S&Ding is just as beneficial to hair health as trimming, if not more.
I prefer it because you target the split ends directly, without losing too much length. With a trim you won't be able to get all the damage, since there might be some along the length of hair, and although unless you work on it 24/7 you won't get all the splits S&Ding, you'll probably improve the health and appearance of the entire length of hair, rather than just the very ends. :]

PrincessIdril
June 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
I'm not too worried about thinning my hair, as most of my damage is pretty close to the ends anyway and I already have fairytale ends!

jeanniet
June 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Realistically you're not going to cause much obvious thinning by even aggressive S & Ding because you have too many individual hairs on your head. Even if you trim 100 hairs every day, that's less than 1/1000 of the total on your head, and since you already have hairs of different lengths as it is, it's not going to be noticeable--especially if, as you say, you already have fairytale ends. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

If you think it's helping your hair, keep doing it. You can also do microtrims yourself every once in a while to even up your hemline a bit if you want. That will take off less than a real trim but still freshen your ends. I do both--taking off about 1/4" a month microtrimming, and then S & Ding every few days. I mostly do it because it helps to keep my ends from tangling.

Amber_Maiden
June 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
I find S&Ding really helps my hair, and doesn't really needs trims because of it. Trims can miss damage, because the damage might be higher up on some strands, and S&Ding really finds and gets the damage.

Madora
June 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Princess Idril, I believe you're ahead of the game by S and Ding regularly. Any damage you can remove is beneficial to keeping that strand damage free.

However, a small trim every 3 to 4 months might help...or once a year if you want to wait that long.

You might be interested in Ktani's article for using catnip to help with the split end problem:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

I S and D every day - about 10 minutes - but only concentrate on the last 4 inches of my hair.

pepperminttea
June 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Personally I find S&D is better than a trim for me; gets rid of the splits without losing any of the healthy hairs. :) I wish salons offered S&D!

afu
June 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
I much prefer S&D to trims, I keep scissors at my desk and chop any offending hairs as soon as i see them (very distracting from my work however!) I don't get many splits at all but I do get those horrid white dots, luckily never more than a cm or so from the end of hairs though

Changling
June 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
my hair is pretty much too short to S&D right now (as many of my hairs can't even reach the front of my head!), but if I find splits I plan to nab them right away.

I know what splits look like, and what they are, but I confused about white dots. I *think* I had something that fit that description when I was little and had long hair, but I can't really remember...is it a form of split end? Or do they occur at any point in the strand (not just the end)?

PrincessIdril
June 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll stick to S&D then since it does appear to be helping.
I probably will go get a trim (my family are bullying me) but not until after I graduate!

braidgirl22
June 9th, 2012, 01:11 AM
For me I like s&ding better cause u don't loose length and can get rid of splits higher up but if my ends get too bad then I will trim.

braidgirl22
June 9th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Sorry about not using correct language.I didn't realize it untill I posted sorry.

onlyforhim
June 9th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I never do S&D unless doing it with my hands counts. I trim because I want to grow layers and get rid of damage slowly. But I would love to try S&D as many people recommned it

Zesty
June 9th, 2012, 02:07 AM
If you think it's working for you, I would keep doing it. I do way more S&D than trims because if I get obsessive about split ends in my hair, I'd rather deal with it that way rather than by perpetually losing length to trims.