PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing Guide

UP Lisa
July 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Is the visual hair typing guide still available anywhere?

Isilya
July 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yup, right here (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html). There's a link to it in the Very Important Threads-sticky, too.

Euphony
July 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Yup, right here (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html). There's a link to it in the Very Important Threads-sticky, too.
And now I'm even more confused! I wish there was a '2 something' option available :D

Isilya
July 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, yes, that would be good (and easy). I still don't know if I did my typing right :o And threads on typing wavy hair often get inconclusive answers.

(sorry for the hijack)

UP Lisa
July 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Well, my picture is on there as a 1a, and I am at least a 2a. Don't know why she did that.

NurseMama
July 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Can anyone tell me the big difference between a 2b and a 2c? The pictures look nearly the same to me.

Euphony
July 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well, my picture is on there as a 1a, and I am at least a 2a. Don't know why she did that.
I found your picture under 1b - wow what a difference between that pic and your av pic! I think I'd pretty much agree with that other pic being a 1b though. You found some definite waves in your length!

Euphony
July 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Can anyone tell me the big difference between a 2b and a 2c? The pictures look nearly the same to me.
The text difference between the two is that 2c has spirals in some parts, while 2b does not. But I agree, it is hard to see the differences. I think a lot of the 2's are hard to decipher, I see a lot of pics of members that are 2 somethings and it's hard to see how the 'letter' portion was obtained (I'm sure I'm one of them).

UP Lisa
July 31st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Actually, those are braid waves in the avatar picture. My natural waves are not quite that much. I have been trying to get a new pic on here for ages. Hopefully I will soon.

Flaxen
July 31st, 2008, 03:39 PM
2b hair looks like braid waves without being braided. 2c has the occasional spiral, BUT it's not just a spiral at the end. It's meant to spiral all the way down from the scalp. Fia clarified this point for me when I was trying to determine my type. :smile:

Riot Crrl
July 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
2b hair looks like braid waves without being braided. 2c has the occasional spiral, BUT it's not just a spiral at the end. It's meant to spiral all the way down from the scalp. Fia clarified this point for me when I was trying to determine my type. :smile:

From the scalp? Lol, I think I'm a 2b then. I thought it was common for 2c/3a to get the flat top.

Flaxen
July 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
I thought it was common for 2c/3a to get the flat top.
True, but typing is done on freshly washed and dried hair when it should be at its sproingiest. :lol:

Euphony
July 31st, 2008, 03:54 PM
hahaha that's where my confusion lies! My baby hairs spiral from my scalp on, when my hair is about apl it spirals all over the place. Now my hair looks like I either let my hair dry in braids or I'm growing out a perm that won't let go of my hair. But if I put my hair up in a peacock twist (or whatever you call that with hair that is coming up on tail bone length since there's no peacock to that twist :cool:) it will spiral.

So I've come to the conclusion that my hair is 2a/2b/2c, since that's not a category I figure my hair is at it's waviest on wash days and since that only happens about every three days my hair is usually hanging around the 2a/2b range.

Riot Crrl
July 31st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Even with the diffuser I have the flat top, and spirals from the ears down. Air dried is about the same. Unless I comb it, then I got 2b or something.

Flaxen
July 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Even with the diffuser I have the flat top, and spirals from the ears down.
Well, your ears are next to your scalp, aren't they? ;)

Riot Crrl
July 31st, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well, your ears are next to your scalp, aren't they? ;)

Oh! Maybe I am getting this wrong. Does this 2b thing mean that the spirals could only start way further down, like at the ends?

Flaxen
July 31st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Oh! Maybe I am getting this wrong. Does this 2b thing mean that the spirals could only start way further down, like at the ends?
You mean 2c? If you hold up a clump that has a spiral, and it's straight or wavy all the way down to the end, where it forms a spiral (that's what mine does), that's not 2c hair. 2c hair spirals start at the scalp (be it the top of the head or lower) and spiral all the way down the length. :smile:

Jasmine19
July 31st, 2008, 10:30 PM
What is the visual guide?

Riot Crrl
July 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
You mean 2c? If you hold up a clump that has a spiral, and it's straight or wavy all the way down to the end, where it forms a spiral (that's what mine does), that's not 2c hair. 2c hair spirals start at the scalp (be it the top of the head or lower) and spiral all the way down the length. :smile:

No, look this is my air dried hair. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=178058&postcount=287 (the first picture).

There are spirals but they only start inches down from the top of my head. Above that it's wavy, and above that the top couple inches can even be somewhat straight but with frizz if there are no products. I have always thought that a lot of 3a was this way.

Flaxen
August 1st, 2008, 12:39 AM
What is the visual guide?
At the top of the Mane Board there is a thread called VITs. Inside you will find links the hairtyping instructions and visual guide. :smile:

No, look this is my air dried hair. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=178058&postcount=287 (the first picture).

There are spirals but they only start inches down from the top of my head. Above that it's wavy, and above that the top couple inches can even be somewhat straight but with frizz if there are no products. I have always thought that a lot of 3a was this way.
*sigh* Such pretty hair. :smile:

Okay. Your waves are much stronger than type-2 waves. Take a look at my hair in my signature. I believe I'm a classic 2b, where the waves look like big crimps from braiding. There's no twist to them at all, except for the occasional corckscrew at the very end when my hair first dries. I believe you have your hair typed correctly. Your *waves* are loose spirals, with loose being the important word here. And you have many more of them than would be found in 2c hair.

UP Lisa
August 1st, 2008, 06:23 AM
My hair is weird. It is 2b from the top of my ears to the bottom of my neck. 2a after that. Maybe because the longer hair is more damaged and less moist?

Euphony
August 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
At the top of the Mane Board there is a thread called VITs. Inside you will find links the hairtyping instructions and visual guide. :smile:

*sigh* Such pretty hair. :smile:

Okay. Your waves are much stronger than type-2 waves. Take a look at my hair in my signature. I believe I'm a classic 2b, where the waves look like big crimps from braiding. There's no twist to them at all, except for the occasional corkscrew at the very end when my hair first dries. I believe you have your hair typed correctly. Your *waves* are loose spirals, with loose being the important word here. And you have many more of them than would be found in 2c hair.
I think that's where a lot of confusion lies with most 2 categories. A lot of people figure that since they have spirals anywhere then their hair is 2c, but that isn't the case. This is why I get so confused, seeing picture after picture in siggys and photo albums of people thinking their hair is 2c. I squint, I **** my head, I try to figure out how their hair is wavier than mine, then get confused and irritated that I'm so inept at typing my own hair.

Flaxen
August 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
My hair is weird. It is 2b from the top of my ears to the bottom of my neck. 2a after that. Maybe because the longer hair is more damaged and less moist?
That very well could be it. :smile:

I think that's where a lot of confusion lies with most 2 categories.
Yep. :agree:

thankyousir74
August 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM
YUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSS!!! Thanks to this picture guide I am now positive that I am 2C!! (I think)

*looks at two pictures again* YES I AM POSITIVE!! YAY!! :cheese: :disco:

Yeah I have been confused for a long time dancing all along the twos and now I am pretty much sure of my hair type! HOORAH!

ETA: AND now I know for shore that my DBF is 3A !! So happy!!

Fia
August 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
As I've always said when it comes to both hairtyping and the visual guide - this is not exact science and can never be. The pictures are up there as guidelines to show what hairs of the different types may look like (and hopefully there are a few different lengths to show in most categories as well as some types - 2s and 3s mostly - can look significantly different from shorter to longer).

The 1s are always straighties for the majority of the hair.

The 2s are always wavies for the majority of the hair, and by wavies is meant the side-to-side waves that look similar to what you get from braiding. The tighter the wave (i.e. the smaller the bend of the curve), the higher up in the category you move to where you border on a curly.

The 3s are always curlies for the majority of the hair, and by curl is meant a corkscrew curl. The looser the curl is - the further down in the category you are; the tighter it is the higher up you move.

NurseMama
August 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think that's where a lot of confusion lies with most 2 categories. A lot of people figure that since they have spirals anywhere then their hair is 2c, but that isn't the case. This is why I get so confused, seeing picture after picture in siggys and photo albums of people thinking their hair is 2c. I squint, I **** my head, I try to figure out how their hair is wavier than mine, then get confused and irritated that I'm so inept at typing my own hair.

This is the key I think. You know Euphony, my hair looks almost exactly like yours when it is waist. Maybe I am a 2a/2b? This really is not an exact science!

Euphony
August 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Naw don't follow my rating of my own hair. I have some big boingy spirals around my ears when my hair is apl. It spirals at the ends on occasion now, my hair is too long for them to form right anymore. I'm a 2 something :grin:

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 03:55 PM
found this guide for wavy curlies..

https://www.sassinahair.com/blog/post/natural-hair-types-4a-4b-and-4c/