PDA

View Full Version : Best Interview Hair?

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hi Ya'll! I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have two very professional interviews coming up and I really don't know what to do with my hair. I don't want to bun it because it might look too severe (no bangs) and I don't want to leave it all down because it won't look severe enough :)

I'm thinking about a half up right now but I would really love some suggestions (and links on "how to" would be MUCH appreciated) and please keep it simple, I really am not very talented with updos! THANKS!!!

jessica77
June 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
how about just a basic ponytail?

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
A french twist always looks nice, and your hair is the perfect length for a french twist. If you part your hair on the side, you can have it swoop up into the bun and won't look severe from the front.

Half up/half down is a nice look. A simple braid made of the hair pulled back can look nice. Allow some tendrils to hang forward to soften the look.

heidi w.

Madora
June 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
CarpeDM, perhaps you'd like to try the two strand lace twist crown braid around the head effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Good luck with your interviews!

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Most hair updos tend to create a flattened look on the top of the head. Even if you wear it half up/half down....so maybe that tutorial Madora linked in might solve the problem because I can see the front has a bit of "lift" to it. I recommend practicing this or any new updo before the day of your interview, and kind of get good at creating the updo because day of getting dressed for the interview, you'll likely be a bit nervous. Unless you're very sure of your updo skills.....but a lot goes on to prepare for an interview.

And time becomes a big factor on day of interview.

I wish you all the best on your interviews. My very best,
heidi w.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
I say a sleek well polished bun.

schweedie
June 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM
How are you with braids? A diagonal Dutch braid might be nice - it's one of my favourites because it looks pretty from the front, too. :)

AdaClare
June 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
I second the french twist. A cinnabun would look nice, too. :)

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
CarpeDM, perhaps you'd like to try the two strand lace twist crown braid around the head effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Good luck with your interviews!

She is super talented with updos! Thanks Madora :)

MegaMystery
June 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
I really like this one by lilithedarkmoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxipfU9R6b8 ). It doesn't seem too hard, but i'm not sure how it would look on longer hair.

CryinLion
June 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
What if you just did a low bun and kinda poofed up the rest of your hair (versus having it flat against your head) ?

I know you said you didnt want a bun tho ^^

http://www.job-interview-site.com/images/dress/job-interview-dress-for-women.jpg

GlennaGirl
June 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
I agree with either French twist or chignon. For interviews, hair should never be interesting enough to be distracting. :) It should look very, very polished but I would leave off of braids and other distractions.

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
What if you just did a low bun and kinda poofed up the rest of your hair (versus having it flat against your head) ?

I know you said you didnt want a bun tho ^^

http://www.job-interview-site.com/images/dress/job-interview-dress-for-women.jpg

I was sort of thinking about a side bun, that would not look as severe...

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
I agree with either French twist or chignon. For interviews, hair should never be interesting enough to be distracting. :) It should look very, very polished but I would leave off of braids and other distractions.

I used to be able to do french twists but since my hair is longer and heavier I can't seem to get it to work :(

Mesmerise
June 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
To me it depends on the nature of the interview and how professional you need to look! When I had a job interview at a conservative firm, I did wear my hair in a bun and it was quite severe! However, the lady interviewing me did comment on how professional I looked :D (and I NEVER look professional usually...hahaha). However, in the past I've worn half ups for job interviews, because I think I look nicer with loose hair :o.

I suppose I didn't really care about the "severeness" for the last interview, because I was trying to achieve a really conservative/professional/polished look. And so far it has paid off because I haven't been turned down for the job yet ;) (it's sort of a process though :rolleyes: I'm just up to the "next stage").

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
I used to be able to do french twists but since my hair is longer and heavier I can't seem to get it to work :(

I ued to achieve french twists when my hair was your length. You may need to practice a little bit to tweak your how-to. As hair gets longer, most updos are still do-able; some do need to be let go of; most will simply need altering in the how-to or end result; and new updos will become do-able. It just takes practice. That's all. For example, as my hair became longer I had to switch from bobby pins to longer bobby pins, or what are technically known as hair roller pins. These days since I am not working a whole lot, I just use hair sticks.

Oh, and one time I was so desperate for lift at the front/top of my head, and this was before I knew about forms and how they were inserted into many updos the professionals created...I used a short TP tube as a form. That day, my boss (a lawyer) surprised me and confessed to me that he loved "Big" Hair. It was quite an achievement of mine, and it actually looked really good that day, but I spent all day freaking out that it would fall out, but it lasted all day. That was a funny day.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
These are very serious jobs, so it is important that I get it right. Are sticks and forks considered professional?

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
These are very serious jobs. One is with the government, the other with the city.

I've seen some city and government employees' hair, and I've seen a few fright sights. But it's their hair. Maybe they'd been there a long time, or something. But a french twist is a fairly conservative and professional updo look, and considered overall a classy look.

Good luck with your decision and best wishes on the interviews. It's hard to get a job now.
heidi w.

henné
June 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I really like this one by lilithedarkmoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxipfU9R6b8 ). It doesn't seem too hard, but i'm not sure how it would look on longer hair.

O M G. She is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

PrincessIdril
June 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
I find buns to be pretty good for interviews personally, they look neat and professional.
I also don't have bangs, but if you put a center part in it does make a bun look softer and less severe.

Mesmerise
June 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
I've seen some city and government employees' hair, and I've seen a few fright sights. But it's their hair. Maybe they'd been there a long time, or something. But a french twist is a fairly conservative and professional updo look, and considered overall a classy look.

Good luck with your decision and best wishes on the interviews. It's hard to get a job now.
heidi w.

I always think that for an interview it's best to err on the side of caution! When I had my job interviews I had the part on the side, and a low bun (it makes my hair look better at the front, because it seems to be thinning a bit :( and slicking it over the side helps stop it looking so sparse).

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I always think that for an interview it's best to err on the side of caution! When I had my job interviews I had the part on the side, and a low bun (it makes my hair look better at the front, because it seems to be thinning a bit :( and slicking it over the side helps stop it looking so sparse).

I know what you mean. I am not meaning to say that overly casual is a good idea for an interview. I was just explaining that I've seen a few fright sights in my time. But that is more acceptable, for some reason than at a job interview. They don't know you yet, nor the quality of your work, so you have to otherwise impress them. Show you're serious about the job by dressing well, hair included.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
I'm leaning towards the bun and I agree the side part helps out some. I've been trying different updos all afternoon and it just isn't working, I'm just no Lilith Moon LOL. I'm thinking a nice clean lazy wrap or a cinnabun is about the best I'm going to be able to pull off :) So then the question is what would look more professional sticks or a fork?

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Would this work?

truepeacenik
June 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
I think that would do. If you have something as dark and slightly shorter, I'd go with that.

CarpeDM
June 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think that would do. If you have something as dark and slightly shorter, I'd go with that.

I can slant it so it doesn't look so long...plus the angle of the pic makes it look longer than it actually is...

Iolanthe13
June 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Could you use small pins or clips to arrange the front of your hair in a less severe way? Like in this picture:

http://i.shoppinglifestyle.com/gallery/2009/11/48_CarrieUnderwood.jpg

Obviously you wouldn't use a big sparkly clip or leave the rest of the down. For interviews and things, I usually do a sort of side-parted quiff thing in the front of my hair, for some volume. Don't know if it would work on straighter hair though...