PDA

View Full Version : Eating more healthy fats = more shed?

Kiwiwi
June 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hello dear people,

There is something I noticed and I wonder if more people noticed this.

I've been eating a lot healthier for a few weeks now. More fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, beans, etc. I feel much better because of it but I have noticed a significant increase in my shedding.
It makes me think of last september when I started using fish oil capsules every day. My shed increased then too so I got scared and stopped using them.
Now I use flax seeds in my smoothie everyday (has healthy oils, omega 3, etc), I use flax seed oil in my salads, I eat avocado in my salads. Not every day except for the seeds in my smoothie (smoothie is my every day breakfast, a green smoothie, fruit and veg and flax seeds).
So, thinking about last september and now again I see that there is a connection. The healthy oils. I don't use ridiculously much at all but still.
Has anyone ever noticed this too?

I have been under a bit more stress lately, it's subsiding now luckily. So that could be part of the reason too. But I did not have stress like this last september.

Could it also be seasonal sheds? September, april/may.

A combination?

It's just something that seems related. More oils in sep. and now.

What do you think?

Thank you!

EDIT: Oh. I think I should mention that I used to always shed very little. I think 20 to 30 hairs every day. Now I think it's 100 or even 150. So I am bordering nervous. I don't panic fast but this is been a few weeks now and it's starting to scare me.
I also don't want to stop eating healthy especially since I've noticed omega 3 oils doing wonders for my bouts of depression. I feel better eating them...

CurlySasha
June 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know why that would be... I've been trying to eat lots of nuts (fatty things like cashews and macadamias) and avocado, and my hair has been sooo shiny! And I didn't notice any increase in shedding! It might be the stress you are under! Just relax... :D

spidermom
June 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
I can't understand why this would happen, but the internal workings of the body can be mysterious. I'm thinking that the fats aren't the connection to shedding, but I can't claim to know for sure.

Alva
June 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Food can very well be the cause. I keep sticking with the idea too healthy eating is bad for the hair. I had a major shed on a so called healthy no sugar diet. It made me go nuts and I couldnt figure out what I did wrong. After 8 months of this healthy lifestyle/eating habits, of which around 4 months I had shed a massive amount of hair, I gave up on the diet. Within two weeks my shed stopped and I will never ever follow a strict diet again. I hadn't changed anything else, it was purely the food that the changes were in. Ever since I never shed again.

SnowWhite
June 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I eat peanutbutter, fish, EVOO etc. all the time and I don't have problems with shedding.
It could be seasonal...

Isabel
June 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I had this happen about 3-4 months into a major dietary change that included adding lots of veggies and some fats into my diet. I shed a lot for some time, and then it stopped. Right now, I've got lots of new growth that seems to be replacing what I lost due to the diet change, so I'm guessing it was some kind of a reset for hairgrowth due to the diet? It seemed scary at first, but I'm kind of glad I had the patience to wait it out.

EndlessSunshine
June 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I am trying to eat a healthy diet higher in healthy fats and I have noticed my new growth is smoother and shinier then what I have from before. I think it could be seasonal for you because those can be stressfull times for people. Fall is school, upcoming holidays, weather changing. Then Spring is finals and more weather changes.

einna
June 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I shed less when I eat a healthier diet with lots of healthy unsaturated fats. Are you getting enough protein in your diet? Iron?
It could be a reset like Isabel said?? I would do a google search, and make a doctor appointment if it continues.
Good luck on your healthy lifestyle! I`m working on that to! =)

quintanion
June 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I think it's going to be difficult to tell for sure whether the shedding is related to your diet. However, when I look at your description of what you're eating, it actually seems pretty low in both fat and protein - unless you're adding a LOT of flax seeds, nuts and avocado, because those are the only real fat sources you described. If you're losing weight because of your healthier diet, that could certainly be affecting your hair as well