PDA

View Full Version : Broken hair stick

kaydana
June 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
I just snapped my favourite hair stick. It's only a cheap plastic one, but it's pretty and I wore it all the time. :(

Does anyone know of a way I could repair it?

Guess I know now to try out new styles with something a little sturdier...

spidermom
June 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
You could try a dot of super-glue. But be very careful; a rough spot might result. Then you won't be able to use it.

I've glued together a hair stick before, but it wasn't long before it broke again in the same spot.

Venefica
June 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Can you post a picture of the hairstick it is a little hard to advice what to do unless I can see it and how the break sits. You might be able to glue it, or perhaps you can even drill a hole in each part and insert a little jewelry pin to make the glued placed stronger, though the hairstick will always have a weakness there.

kaydana
June 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/EyKZq.jpg

kaydana
June 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Oops, didn't mean to make the picture so big, is there any way to edit it to make it smaller? :/

Venefica
June 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
The break to look fairly straight which is good. I would recommend trying to drill it first, this might split the hairstick but it will increase the chance that it will hold. I would get a jewelry pin and cut it to the right side and place it in the holes to help bond the hairstick together. I recommend that you use a glue like lock tight as it will partly melt the plastic on either end and help the two sides fuse together. Be careful not to use to much glue and align the sides together very carefully to get as little of a seam as possible. If you do get a seam you can use some very fine gridded sanding paper and go over it and then go over where you have sanded with a layer or two of clear nail polish. I do not know if it would work but you could try. Also allow the stick to sit for half a day, depending on the glue you use, before you do anything more with it, to allow it to get as strong as possible but also to avoid any chance of glue which have layed in a way that it have not hardened from getting on your hair.

kaydana
June 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'll try that. Thank you!

OhioLisa
June 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't drill it, personally. It would most likely just break further. Super glue is also not a good idea, because it is brittle and likely to snap again. There are epoxies out there made specifically for plastics. Honestly, though, any solution will cost you more than the stick is worth. I would take the "repair" money and invest it in a good quality stick.

tyrant1100
June 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'd recommend gluing it as everyone else has stated, but would go farther to recommend not using it to actually support your hair from now on. I'd team it up with either a similar looking stick that holds the style or pins as decoration only. Unless the epoxy or glue you use is incredibly strong, I don't have much faith that it will hold hair any more without snapping again at some point. It's good that it's a clean break because it won't snag much when it's repaired, but it also doesn't leave much for the glue/epoxy to hold on to either. Using some coarse sandpaper on the center of both pieces before you glue might help it hold better.

spidermom
June 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
In all honesty, I'd look for another stick. That one isn't so unique that you'll never find another one similar.

DragonLady
June 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
I say celebrate! Your hair has outgrown cheap plastic sticks! Time to invest in a beautiful wooden, acrylic or metal one. :D

MeganE
June 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
You can always ask Grah-Toe or someone who makes sticks to do a replica for you in ebony wood with swarovski crystals, so it will look the same/similar/better with less chance of breaking.

Alvrodul
June 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I agree with those who recommend that you make this an opportunity to look for another hair stick. Even if you are able to glue it together, I suspect it would be very likely to just break again.