PDA

View Full Version : What's your softness secret?

GoldberryHair
June 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
I think everyone has something special they do to make your hair soft and silky, and I'm just curious of the different ways. I thought it'd be fun to share and swap :)

Mine is doing hair masks, they really do make a world of change (I'm doing one right now! it was my inspiration for this thread lol)

So, what are they!?

Tisiloves
June 3rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Applying coconut oil to my hair after I shampoo and layering conditioner over the top.

brushxD
June 3rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
using my leave in conditioner to help form my curls. it feels crunchy the first day but after that it feels very soft :D

Amygirl8
June 3rd, 2012, 08:56 AM
Lots of conditioner. Lots and lots and lots.
I use an olive oil conditioner, along with an Aveeno conditioner, every time I shower. I slather it on, let it stay for 5-ish minutes while I take care of other shower-y things, then rinse and my hair is very soft.
I also find that braids make my hair feel softer than any other curling/waving technique. I'm a fanatic with those things, I use different ones each day XD

SnowWhite
June 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
oiling with coconut oil!

Suze2012
June 3rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
I haven't found my 'secret' yet.

I'm pretty new to co-washing and trying oils etc so haven't yet found any kind of a balance.

My hair does like co -washing rather than using sulphate shampoo and coney co but every single day my hair behaves differently even if I do the exact same thing with it.

I just went and bought some Aloe Vera gel to give that a try - got totally drenched in a torrential downpour while I walked through town (we have serious Jubilee celebrations going on in town and bless all of those out there in that weather!)

I just splodged some gel in my hair just now while it was still wet from the rain....it feels softer than it did before I went out.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
My oil mix, leave in conditioner and regular conditioner.

Long_hair_bear
June 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Coconut oil as a prewash and a coney condish. :)

MintChocChip
June 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Definately deep treatments! Moisture rather than protein.

Mononoke
June 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
CO!
Also some serum with cones, and rice oil with cones (for some reason pure oils just make my hair oily and sticky).

lapushka
June 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Conditioning twice after shampooing.

alwayssmiling
June 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
EVO. As a prepoo treatment, or scrunched into nearly dry hair. It makes it very soft. Most products with olive oil in have a softening effect on my hair. And of course air drying gives me soft hair.

Madora
June 3rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Brushing daily (100 strokes) with a pure boar bristle brush.

GoldberryHair
June 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Brushing daily (100 strokes) with a pure boar bristle brush.

I used to do this! (Rather my Ma would for me while we watched tv :) ) I should start again lol it does make a huge difference.

GoldberryHair
June 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Applying coconut oil to my hair after I shampoo and layering conditioner over the top.

Interesting! How long do you leave it on?

spidermom
June 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Coconut oil.
Occasional coney serum, though I'm not using it right now (an experiment).

pepperminttea
June 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
The biggest ones for me are hour-long CO soaks on dry hair, and damp bunning or braiding. :)

amantha
June 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
My ends dry so fast that they're already dry before I put my leave-in on after a shower. I spritz them so that they're damp again and then apply my leave-in conditioner, it's magic. :D

Tisiloves
June 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting! How long do you leave it on?

At least half an hour, more usually 1-2 hours. But I only usually wash my hair when I swim, so I'll wash it at the swimming pool, get dressed and go home (400 yards away) and then apply to my still wet hair, whack on a shower cap and do a few chores before I rinse.

RobieFlakes
June 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
If you use cones John Freida's "Clear shine"really softens your hair more than it gives shine.

I became addicted to it on sale price unknowingly(long hair takes so much product to saturate,I go through it in 1.5 weeks)suddenly the price shot up!

It's not worth the price now for me but if you like cones it does soften your hair. It made a noticeable difference in terms of touch-ability.

dwell_in_safety
June 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
CO-washing. Technique I use is to work undiluted conditioner throughout my hair when it is dry, then leave it on 30-45 minutes before showering, same as I would to take out an oiling. Basically my routine doesn't change much at all between oiling and non-oiling days/washes. I'll have to dilute my conditioner eventually, but as of now with just BSL hair and only washing it once a week, I don't go through a crazy amount of conditioner. I use different conditioner for oiling vs. non-oiling washes, too; to wash out oil, I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, which contains a little bit of protein.

My hair is always soft!

Scarlett brooke
June 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Recently discovered argon oil really love it makes my hair so silky!

curlyhair
June 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Coconut Milk Once aWeek

Asma
June 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Deep treatments for sure! Different oil every week :D

Xila
June 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
My hair really doesn't react positively to a lot of things, so the things that stand out to me are really the only kinds of things that have worked for me at all. That said, a few things that have improved my hair's softness:

-Cassia Treatments (I'm always amazed!)

-Nightblooming's Panacea (I put this on when my hair is dry)

-Changing to a shampoo that actually works for me (I use Toadstool's. It makes my hair clean and soft as opposed to stripping it and making it dry like several other shampoos did; this was something that I didn't even realize was an issue until I tried this shampoo and had that "Aha!" moment.)

-Not something I "do" to my hair, but stretching washes has really helped my hair's condition overall. My hair is so soft after not being washed for a few days. :)

Lots of good replies on this thread! I've tried most of them before! (I'm just too lazy to keep up with them, even if they worked, haha.)

MissCoco
June 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Pre-wash heavy oiling, coconut milk, acv rinses with cold water, and damp styling (twin braids works especially well). :)

laceyfairy
June 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Not using mousses, gels, hairsprays, etc. Washing my hair infrequently. Diluting my shampoo. Conditioner, lots of it.

hypersensitive
June 3rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned SMT yet. So,

SMT!!!

And bring on the cones! I like to damp "oil" with jasmine hair serum (Oscar Blandi)

AdaClare
June 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Cones, lots of conditioner, and keeping it up often. :)

catamonica
June 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
I use olive oil in my shampoo & conditioner. And Aloe Vera Gel in my conditioner. For extra softness.

afu
June 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
CO and SMT

My hair likes me to keep away from protein (despite old bleach damage) and doesn't like me to leave a treatment on damp hair for longer than about 15mins!

Jing
June 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Coconut oil as a leave-in. And distilled water, holy does distilled water make a difference even if just sprayed in towel(well, t-shirt)-dried hair, but it's too much of a pain to produce since I don't have any special equipment, so I never use it anymore.

MonaMayfair
June 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Catnip is the thing that's made my hair the most soft and smooth.

AmbeBaby
June 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM

Do you rinse out the conditioner afterward? I usually use conditioner as my leave in and then apply coconut oil on top of the conditioner. I'm thinking maybe I should use the coconut oil first and then conditioner... :ponder:

Guenever
June 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
light pre-wash oilings and final soft water based ACV rinses :)

AmbeBaby
June 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
At least half an hour, more usually 1-2 hours. But I only usually wash my hair when I swim, so I'll wash it at the swimming pool, get dressed and go home (400 yards away) and then apply to my still wet hair, whack on a shower cap and do a few chores before I rinse.

Oh ok. Forget my first post. I see that you rinse it out after. :D

Tisiloves
June 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Do you rinse out the conditioner afterward? I usually use conditioner as my leave in and then apply coconut oil on top of the conditioner. I'm thinking maybe I should use the coconut oil first and then conditioner... :ponder:

I rinse both out and then light oil (atm with avocado and grapeseed, in Winter with coconut) and BBB. There is evidence that coconut oil improves hair's protein retention, but only if applied to shampooed, but unconditioned hair, so switching the order might improve results.

AmbeBaby
June 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I rinse both out and then light oil (atm with avocado and grapeseed, in winter with coconut) and BBB. There is evidence that coconut oil improves hair's protein retention, but only if applied to shampooed, but unconditioned hair, so switching the order might improve results.

What is BBB?

Also, anyone can answer this: What is SMT?? :rolleyes:

Tisiloves
June 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
What is BBB?

Also, anyone can answer this: What is SMT?? :rolleyes:

Boar Bristle Brush for use and advice: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

SMT= Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment thread here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Lady Neeva
June 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Perfect Benign Neglect,
And Genetics.

AmbeBaby
June 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Boar Bristle Brush for use and advice: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

SMT= Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment thread here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Thanks for the links =]

afu
June 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
My softest result so far was today :)

My hair hates long treatments on wet hair and just frizzes, so today tried something a little different. I normally put my CO conditioner on my scalp about 5mins before getting into the shower and doing a normal CO wash. Today I put it on about an hour before, conditioner concentrated on roots but lightly all over and an oil mix of 2 parts coconut to 1 part sweet almond (and a few drops of peppermint EO) on the last few inches. After an hour and a half I did my normal CO routine followed by my usual conditioner as a leave in and oil mix on lengths.

So far my hair is super soft but not yet dry (if anything changes i shall update).

I committed the major crime of changing 2 things at once :O as i started using a new conditioner. However, in my defence i just ran out of my last conditioner so had no choice. New conditioner is Morrisons jojoba (cone-free), last one was Tesco smooth coconut (cone-free), both have pretty standard, simple ingredients.

heidi w.
June 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I oil my hair after most full hair washes with Spectrum Naturals unrefined Coconut Oil for use specifically on hair and skin, and BBB when my hair is dry. I oil dry hair too. I made a video demonstrating how I oil my hair.

heidi w.

Hope this helps someone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Amber_Maiden
June 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Doing a clarifying wash- baking soda rinse followed by ACV rinse. No shampoo or conditioner. Amazing.

Tia2010
June 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Doing a deep treatment using either Olive oil/ Coconut oil/ Ojon nut oil (usually left in a few hours before my shampoo)

Also using Argon or Macadamia nut oil after a shower (on damp hair) creates softness and shine for me.

ETA: Bought a BBB a few months back and that helps with shine and softness also!

honeybunnie8
June 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Doing a coconut deep condition before I shampoo. I have started trying to use oils after my shower and so far they seem to help also.

blondie9912
June 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Coconut oil (applied sparingly after washing, or a heavy soak and COing it out!)

caadam
June 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
My body's own sebum really helps to keep my hair soft, along with BBBing, Miracle water, and mineral oil when my hair feels dry. Works every time. :cheese:

door72067
June 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
baby oil soak for several hours every other week or so (I basically saturate my hair with baby oil first thing in the morning and then twist it up with a scrunchie and leave it there until late afternoon/evening when I shower and wash my hair)

Yozhik
June 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Coconut oil and keeping my hair up gives me great softness. So does using extremely heavy and thick conditioners (cone or non-cone).

In my experience, conditioners for "dry, damaged, or color-treated hair" tend to be the thickest and most moisturizing, so although my hair is none of those things, I use it anyway. :p

dollyfish
June 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM
To try to keep my waves defined, I only finger-comb in the morning after a shower, but ever night I brush like a million times with a BBB before going to bed. Keeps my hair soft :)

CurlyCap
June 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I prevent damage. Always moisturized and I address problems as they appear. My hair is softest when it's absolutely healthy.

It means more daily care, but a lot less "survive and revive" treatments.

Anapeli
June 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Coconut oil with conditioner for a 30 mins then wash and condition. Nice soft hair.

Servana
June 5th, 2012, 12:27 AM
When I want my hair to be really soft for the next few days I put a Pure Organics hair mask all over my dry hair & then I put it in two plaits, to lock in the moisture. I leave this in for several hours & then I wash it out. The next day my hair feels amazing..

McFearless
June 5th, 2012, 01:56 AM
WO has been really great in keeping my hair soft and strong. A little olive oil on the ends is good too.

Kittykins
June 5th, 2012, 02:27 AM
SMT, heavy oiling with coconut oil for at least 2 hours with a conditioner soak applied 30 minute before showering, coconut cream mix with a little aloe and vegetable glycerin CWC'd out, rose water, leaving my conditioner in for a least 5 mins in the shower and rooibos tea.

Teazel
June 5th, 2012, 02:52 AM
White vinegar rinses increase my hair's softness. It really makes a difference!

Other than that, just ensuring there's enough moisture content.

mzBANGBANG
June 5th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Waking up with wet, bunned hair that I had previously applied leave in to.... never fails!

Hypnotica
June 5th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Dampning the hair before going to bed and bunning it for the night.

MaraJSkywalker
June 5th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I brush it with a BBB and a wide-tooth comb after leaving it in a braid all day; it takes a good bit of brushing, but it ends up so soft and smooth! :-)

Anapeli
June 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I had an issue with my hair having too much protein. I noted that my hair was stiff and hard. I went for a walk and it began to rain. I was pretty wet so when I got home, I changed but left my hair alone. When it dried, it was so soft! Softer than after conditioning. Maybe rain is good for hair??

partlycloudy
June 5th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Apparently rain is slightly acidic, so yes it is good for hair!

WaterMusic
June 5th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Also, rain doesn't have any minerals in it, so if you have hard water perhaps that helped to remove some mineral deposits.

My secret: Winter Panacea.

There are a lot more aspects of my routine that I think help (avoiding protein, no cones, CO, only washing once a week, only finger combing), but I didn't get a softness breakthrough until I started using Panacea.

fairy666tale
June 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mine is leaving Dr. Organic conditioner in my hair for at least 2 hours, once a week.

Ocelan
June 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
CO washing by slathering lots of slightly diluted cone-free conditioner throughout my dry hair, letting it sit in my hair 20 mins or so, then going to a sauna for 20 mins (works like a hot treatment) before rinsing off and then ACV rinse (plus rooibos, nettle and parsley in it). For extra softness I put in some honey with the conditioner and heat it in the micro for a bit before applying, my stripped down version of SMT. :)

kitcatsmeow
June 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM
mineral oil (baby oil) it's my new obsession

Miss Manal
June 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Using oil mixture defore shamboo and rolling/wrapping my hair around my head after my shower
This is my secret :)

Thanks for the topic.

myHairGrowth
June 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hot oil treatments and coconut oil as leave in

Glory66
June 5th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm new to the forum, so I've just started with the C-W-C (I think that's the acronym!) process, and I apply coconut oil to my dry hair and comb with a wooden comb. I thought going without products would be a nightmare with my curly hair (cigar curls when freshly washed, a free-for-all thereafter) ... but it's looking great and it's soft and healthy looking! Yay!!!

Iscoria
June 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Apple cider vinegar works wonders for me! :D Makes my hair supersoft and keeps my scalp healthy and eczema-free :)

NataschaB.
June 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Sweet almond oil applied on damp hair :)

ellen732
June 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM
A teaspoon of honey in my conditioner.

Charlotte:)
June 5th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Stretching washes and heavy cone conditioners.

TheMechaGinger
June 5th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Pre wash coconut oiling, super coney conditioners and occasional white vinegar rinses

Vampyria
June 6th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Mine was AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. Now I need a new one. And coconut oil on damp hair as leave-in.

CocoBean
June 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Apple cider vinegar works wonders for me! :D Makes my hair supersoft and keeps my scalp healthy and eczema-free :)

I'm curious if you still use condish after the ACV application? I HAVE to use condish to get the tangles out, but am interested in ACV for scalp issues... thanks!:o

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm curious if you still use condish after the ACV application? I HAVE to use condish to get the tangles out, but am interested in ACV for scalp issues... thanks!:o

Not the person you're replying to, but I use ACV with every wash *instead* of conditioner. It works just as well as a detangler, at least in my case. Though if you have really problematic hair I don't see any problem with using conditioner afterwards, especially if you're using the ACV for scalp issues.

young&reckless
June 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Not the person you're replying to, but I use ACV with every wash *instead* of conditioner. It works just as well as a detangler, at least in my case. Though if you have really problematic hair I don't see any problem with using conditioner afterwards, especially if you're using the ACV for scalp issues.

I use ACV and then sometimes condish from the ears down. For when my hair has really dried out.

myHairGrowth
June 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Yesterday night I brushed with bbb and it made my hair so soft. At night I slept with a satin cap and in the morning my hair was so silky and soft. I never knew brushing with bbb will make such a difference. First time in my life my hair is so soft as far as I can remember. Thanks to LHC!

Anapeli
June 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM
How about rain water? I love the way it feels when I use it for my hair washing

GoldberryHair
June 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
A teaspoon of honey in my conditioner.

Doesn't the honey clump?

Audhumla
June 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I think my current routine works pretty well for softness.
1. run a very small amount of almond oil through hair
2. wash with gentle shampoo usually an Alchemy shampoo or one from Natralia Nourish
3. Apply Naked rescue repairing hair treatment liberally and leave for 5-10min (it has glycerine and I find that really helps soften my hair)
4. rinse off and apply Natural Secrets goatsmilk conditioner (lots of protein, I figure it helps seal in the moisture . .whether or not that's what's actually happening it seems to help)
5. final rinse and done

battles
June 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Vinegar rinses at the end of washing and whipped mango butter as a leave in.

I also put quite a bit of mango butter on my ends and length before bed and my hair usually soaks it right in while I sleep, wake up with nice soft hair. :)

Sleeping with a silky scarf over my pillow helps as well, but I'd like to get a silk or satin pillowcase.

Words
June 9th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I spray my hair with a mixture of water and glycerine. It is making my hair soooo soft!

onlyforhim
June 9th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Olive oil all the way
and your hair looks soooo soft like the water fall

UpNorth
June 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM
My new thing!

Wash with both shampoo and conditioner, (honeysuckle rose old formula). My hair does not get soft without shampoo for some reason. Anyway, loads of conditioner and then rinse. When out of the shower I mix EVOO, coconut oil and Aloe Vera and oil my lengths with that. suuuuuuuper soft and shiny

snowcloud
June 9th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Coconut oil all the way :cheese:

Oksana
June 9th, 2012, 06:51 AM
- CO washing
- Avoiding protein at all costs as it makes my hair crunch and dry.
- Lemon rinses (but only occasionally as it can dry the hair out)
- Honey mixed in with my conditioner - never fails :crush:

Zesty
June 9th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I have to be another who supports honey in the conditioner. ;) I microwave some in a mug, mix it up with conditioner, and do my normal routine with it, and at least in summer it does the trick.

AutumnLocks
August 4th, 2012, 06:52 AM
No big secret. Just shampoo 1 to 2 times a week with what ever shampoo I'm using at the time. Right now it's Fructis poo and conditioner. I don't use conditioner every time I shampoo. Just when my hair feels dry. Which is usually about once or twice a month in the summer. When the weather gets cold then I condition with every shampoo. I let it air dry. That's the biggest thing don't use heat to style or dry it. If I want to give it a bit of a wave then I braid it damp and let it dry that way and I have lovely braid waves....:o)

SelkieSkjald
August 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Another one for ACV rinses! I have never had such soft and shiny hair in my life. I also like to use coconut oil and deep treatments sometimes. Reading this thread has given me a couple good ideas; I'll definitely have to look into coconut milk and using rainwater for washing, since it rains most days here anyway.

Tristania
August 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I just apply a tiny bit of coconut oil after showers, while my hair is still damp.

millyaulait
August 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Mineral Oil on damp hair after a CO wash.

JellyBene
August 4th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Henna and SMTs

gracenotes
August 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I've recently started paying much more attention to making sure conditioner gets distributed evenly through all my hair, and it's made a huge difference in terms of softness! I use about 1/3 of a bottle of V05 on the length per wash, then I follow with a second conditioner. My hair feels like butter!

EndlessSunshine
August 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Grapeseed oil in my length before I damp bun.

bo-peep
August 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
CO washes and coconut oil on the ends in between.

sun-kissed
August 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
CO washes left my hair softer and silkier than I ever remember it being. :cloud9:

clarinette
August 5th, 2012, 04:38 AM
My very recent (shame on me) discovery of coconut oil. I'd never tried it because I have baby fine thin hair, so, obviously, I thought coconut oil would be too heavy and I'd look like a greaseball. On the contrary my friends!! my hair drinks it like nothing, and it gets soft and shiny, it's amazing. So: deep overnights with EVOO , co washes, coconut oil after washes on damp hair, and buns. For some reason damp bunning makes my hair extremely soft and shiny, when I take them down I'm always amazed, but I can see the soft shine in the dry bun itself too.
These are my soft secrets.

SwordWomanRiona
August 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Because it's so fine, my hair is generally very soft on its own (compressing, static-charged, tangly fine hair must have its pros too, I suppose ;)).
As for products, henna, cassia, tea rinses, honey, aloe vera and Nightblooming's Panacea give me soft silky hair. The Klorane shampoos I'm using work well for softness, too. And sweet-almond oil.

MissAlida
August 5th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Conditioner. And white vinegar rinse.

White Lavender
August 5th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Cassia treatments have really helped a lot to soften my hair.

**I also have been adding a healthy dollop of pre-prepared Cassia treatment to conditioner / coconut oil and leaving in over night before wash days. Made a world of difference!

I make a batch of Cassia treatment & use some of it right away for a full treatment then refrigerate the left over and use it up the rest of the week in my pre-wash oiling/conditioning treatments. I wash 3 x per week so one of those will be the full Cassia treatment and the other 2 washes will be the pre-oiling/conditioning with big dollop of Cassia.

Wash routine: use gentle, sulfate-free shampoo (my hair loves Nature's Gate) applying conditioner, waiting 5 mins, rinse,
Spray hair with Cat Nip tea, wait a few mins, rinse, and finally
Spray hair with white vinegar rinse, wait a few mins, rinse.

Apply leave-in such as argon oil, aloe vera, tiny spray of cat nip tea (or mix of those), comb very gently with wide tooth comb, then apply couple drops of baby oil to seal.

I don't use any heat; let hair dry naturally or use a fan. Braiding or bunning damp hair will make hair very soft and shiny when you un-do your dry hair.

ApatheticFairy
August 5th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I didn't get a softness breakthrough until I started using Panacea.

This. I did my normal CWC routine using Toadstool Soaps (from Etsy) shampoo, some dollar-store brand non-cone condish that I left on for two minutes and combed through before rinsing and Nightblooming's Vegan Panacea on damp hair (yeah, two experiments at the same time.) and literally two days later my usually clueless DBF accidentally brushed up against my hair and freaked out about how awesome and silky it felt. I'm not sure which did it, or the combo, but my chemically-damaged hair loved it.

I just stuck my finger into Panacea, warmed it in my hands, and applied to one side of damp hair, and repeated the process on the other side.

My very anti-personal-grooming gaming group found out about it and pet my hair for fifteen minutes straight today. -_- These are guys who shower maybe twice a week IF they sweat recently. It was kind of sweet.

aisha.christine
August 5th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CO washing has probably been the biggest contributing factor, although my hair loves the occasional moisturizing deep-treatment, too. :D

sunnydee92
August 5th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Using shampoo sparingly, jojoba/coconut oil, and being nice to my hair...aka no curling/straightening/blow drying unless I REALLY need to. :)

Natalia
August 5th, 2012, 10:53 PM
i have a different description of softeness since i went wo. i dont like it too slippery since i dont like to mess with my updo's much so to me me softness means i can run my fingers through my hair without it getting caught. i like how wo makes my strands feel thicker and they separate easier. anyway my secret is wo paired with monoi oil, regular coconut just doesnt do it for me.

TeaGarden
August 6th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I use La Brasiliana leave-in. I also like to put in some of HealthySexyHair's soy protein stuff. It makes my hair really soft, especially if I put it in while my hair is still damp.

Simone_Fatale
August 6th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Rinsing with ACV, lots of conditioner, and hair masks.

ankh222
September 24th, 2012, 12:04 PM
conditioner and then i apply coconut oil after i wash my hair and put my hair in buns.

PixxieStix
September 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Olive oil deep treatments , henna and coconut oil. =D

gthlvrmx
September 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM
leaving in some EVOO in damp hair :) works like a charm, better than leaving in conditioner in the hair :p

browneyedsusan
September 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
henna

(10 characters)

gonzobird
September 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
My sprite water filter on my shower head! Its glorious.

Dang3rousB3auty
September 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
To keep my hair soft I usually(not always) pre-oil the ends of my hair before washing. With coconut oil or my weleda rosemary hair oil. Then I shampoo just the scalp, then I apply my cleansing conditioner on my whole entire head of hair. I apply a plastic shower cap. I will get out of the shower and do my teeth cleaning routine, then get back in and rinse it out really well. then apply a small amount of toad stool leave-in conditioner. Then I always always put my hair up, a braid or bun usually. Otherwise my hair gets very unhappy. Apply panacea to the end of my braid tassle thingy when my hair is dry and I am usually good till I wash it again.

Tisiloves
September 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
HE Breakage Defender hair mask over fresh henna. My hair is insanely soft, silky, and shiny right now.

Arachnid
September 24th, 2012, 01:25 PM
My hair is pin strait so always had a bit of shine to it but since I changed my routine its been super glossy.
I use coconut oil over night the day before my wash day, lush shampoo (not the best and quite strong, thinking of changing it for boots own brand) and honey 1:1 usually mixed on the day, finished off with a conditioning currently boots coconut and almond, i love it because it don't have a strong smell. I never thought i'd have the patience of a proper hair routine but this is surprisingly quick and head massages with coconut oil are divine.

I have been tempted by CO but not quite convinced yet, maybe if i find a really good conditioner which doesn't contain synthetic fragrance or is fragrance free.

jeanniet
September 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I make a spray consisting of 1 1/2 tsp. argan oil (or camellia oil if I have it), 1/2 tsp. castor oil, 2 tsp. of Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn spray, and 2 tsp. of SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Milk in a 4 oz. mister bottle. Add the ingredients, fill with distilled water, and shake well. I spray this on my hair every night before I go to bed, and in the morning my hair is always very soft, easily detangled, and moisturized. If my ends feel at all dry, I also use it before I put my hair up for the day.

MrsGuther
September 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Pantene deep conditioner for curly hair. :)

terylenerose
September 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Conditioner, coconut oil and shea butter have been my main staples for a while, but yesterday I found out that if I stick sweet almond oil in wet hair it's soft, shiny and nice, as opposed to dry, sticky and tangled, when it dries. My curls also like it.

longforthis
September 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Coconut oil, apricot oil, vinegar rinses, final rinse with cold water, and satin pillow! :D

I braid my hair at night now. Before I do I moisturize the ends with coconut oil; if I am in my room, and it'll be a while before I go to bed, I continue to moisturize my ends with coconut oil. My ends seem to soak it up that fast! Once I braid I put a tiny bit of coconut on my hands and then run my hands along the braid. (Just a little bit!) I do the same whenever I'm about to do a braided updo. My hair looks and feels super soft and shiny!

If I leave my hair down, I scrunch my ends with apricot oil. If I put my hair up in a pineapple, I scrunch the ends with apricot oil and then (imitating the braid routine) I put a little apricot oil on my hands then on the back of my head (where I would sleep on) to moisturize that. I figure it'll help combat frizz and breakage.

The satin pillow is a recent addition. IT WORKS. I would use a sleep cap, but things tend to fall off my head when I sleep. xD

Sarahlabyrinth
September 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Mineral oil, it's good for moisturising and shine too!

Shepherdess
September 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Now that I have been avoiding using oils as frequently in my hair (because my hair becomes greasy easily). I have been keeping my hair up in a bun all day rapped in a scarf and at night braided up and in a silk hair cap to protect it. Doing so has really made my hair feel so nice and soft keeping it up and out of the way. It must keep the moister in it or something? I still use oils, but am now very careful how much I apply. :)

nena_shawty
September 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
rinsing with deluted white viagre and using moisture conditioner LOT OF IT .

hellucy
September 26th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I've just started using Kimberlily's de-frizz spray & it has turned my dry, rough ends (& the rest of my hair) super soft :happydance:

clairenewcastle
September 26th, 2012, 03:59 AM
A final rinse of cold water after conditioning and lots of brushing. Also coconut oil.

auburntressed
September 26th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Coconut oil, ACV rinses, and I have recently started mixing honey into my shampoo as well.

I have to be sparing with the coconut oil, though. It makes my hair FEEL super soft while making it LOOK like an oil slick. So I have gotten to the point now that I only use it as a pre-wash, or I dab a very tiny bit into my braid tassel whenever I have braided my hair. It usually soaks up in less than half a day when I put it on a braid tassel.

TheLadyKM
September 26th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I apply a little hesh perfumed coconut oil after i shampoo, and if i go out i use an UV protective conditioner.

Once in a week , i apply virgin olive oil to my hair before i shampoo :)