PDA

View Full Version : This years Miss Usa Pictures.

Raging Wolf
June 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/miss-usa-2012-slideshow/miss-usa-2012-photo-1338664016.html

I am not one for posting links, but the pictures of this years contestants hair styles are beautiful. They maybe long hair extensions, but they are very striking.

Amber_Maiden
June 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
I think it's mostly extensions, but still very pretty!!

ladylowtide
June 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
I think these are gorgeous! Especially when the extension braids were well matched with the hair, it looks spectacular. I am book marking this for ideas when I hit my goal length :D

Ticky
June 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Very nice! Some of those are truly beautiful.

letibear
June 2nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I agree with the others, beautiful pictures, and even if they are extensions, I am happy that an event/photo-shoot as widely publicized as this, is showcasing the beauty of LONG hair on these lovely women. That was no accident, and as you can see, it will certainly be noticed ^_^ YAY for long hair!

That's very refreshing when things in the media usually portray long hair as boring, unprofessional, or making you "look older." Boo!

BrightEyes
June 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Beautiful! I would say extensions for sure, but still beautiful.

buttercupmcgee
June 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
These are gorgeous, I love the Grecian feel.

However, with the lighting and eye makeup, I feel like this could be the same person again and again in different wigs! So disturbing! :p

nobunny
June 2nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
yea, some of these are really pretty, but is it just me or do a lot of these women's waistlines seem heavily photoshopped? it's givin me the creeps.

PixxieStix
June 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Love the hair, and the creative styles. Disliking the heavily Photoshopped, and why oh why are there MEN in some of those girls photos?! Doesn't seem right...

Grillz
June 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Did anybody else keep skimming just to find their home state? lol Beautiful styles (and photoshopping! lol)

jacqueline101
June 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Pretty but extensions.

brownpaperbag
June 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Beautiful hair, but lots of extensions and large amounts of hairspray, unfortunately.

meishkamooshka
June 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
That is some SERIOUSLY big hair! Haha. But I do like a few of the styles....

And yes I clicked to find my state! Though it was in the first few...

Anyhow! I really like Kansas, Maryland, Louisiana, Missouri, Massachusetts and Arizona for some reason....

Nedertane
June 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but is anyone else perturbed by the fact that you can't actually tell what ANY of them look like? It's kind of like they all have doll's faces.

TheMechaGinger
June 2nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
I skimmed for mine! Arizona is better than some of them but just okay for me, but I'm with Nedertane on the fact that they all look a little like dolls

Misty'sMess
June 3rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
After a while all the woman start to look the same to me.

woolyleprechaun
June 3rd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Poor things. I bet they are all realy stunning IRL, but have been made to look like girls fashion dolls. I dont think photoshop has any place in a beauty competition :(
Love the funky styles though!

faellen
June 3rd, 2012, 03:42 AM
After a while all the woman start to look the same to me.

My thoughts exactly but I'm just a foreigner :p

PolarCathy
June 3rd, 2012, 03:47 AM
It's so disappointing all that with fake hair.

I'd somehow never assumed someone/anyone would wear extensions until I think UltraBella posted somewhere that they all do. My world crushed in that moment. It's like breast implants or something, in my eyes. Just. fake.

Iolanthe13
June 3rd, 2012, 03:49 AM
Between this forum and the UK, I was mainly just surprised not to see any redheads...I think I spend too much time on the henna threads!

faellen
June 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
It's so disappointing all that with fake hair.

I'd somehow never assumed someone/anyone would wear extensions until I think UltraBella posted somewhere that they all do. My world crushed in that moment. It's like breast implants or something, in my eyes. Just. fake.

Guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't think there's anything wrong with hair extensions OR breast implants for that matter.

PolarCathy
June 3rd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't think there's anything wrong with hair extensions OR breast implants for that matter.

Probably not; probably (likely?) my opinion is too harsh on these things.

Jing
June 3rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
The second picture makes me cringe a bit. Her hair looks sooo teased. The theme also confused me - at first I thought it was supposed to be vaguely Egyptian, but then the Roman soldiers showed up. Some interesting styling and makeup in there, but very few of them stood out from the generic model look. Photoshop doesn't help.

ETA: I mean, these are supposed to be the most beautiful women of the US this year, and they are competing for the title of most beautiful. The fact that the pictures are still heavily photoshopped is a bit mindboggling. It's cheating, just like if an athlete would use steroids to perform better.

UpNorth
June 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
Like the hairstyles.. but i´m curious to see how they look without makeup (and extensions;) and photoshop)

einna
June 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
It is too much for my taste. I think some elements should be toned down, so that the rest could make a real impact. Also photoshop all the way.
Some of them look nice though, and they are beautiful girls off course.

Kittyxx
June 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
my englishness is showing through - I totally read the title of the thread as 'Miss Yoo-Suh' and thought who? lol
I don't mind extensions when they look natural but around here there seems to be an abundance of cheap synthetic obvious looking extensions and there are still some people doing the thing where they backcomb their own hair then have different colour extensions underneath. that still drives me crazy grrr -_-

GlennaGirl
June 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
GOT to be extensions but...holy wow.

I too love the Greco-Roman style even though it's, well, pretty stylized. :p I just love the whole feel, very nice.

GlennaGirl
June 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
T The theme also confused me - at first I thought it was supposed to be vaguely Egyptian, but then the Roman soldiers showed up.

I had exactly the same impression at first. I think they're trying for a Greco-Roman fusion and ancient Egyptian just sort of flows in there in a lot of people's minds...kind of like at the Ren Faire where people dress in lower middle ages, fantasy fusion, Hollywood warrior, "faerie" and even Star Wars costumes. :p

I mean this is after all the Miss USA pageant, which hardly has history/world cultures majors manning it. :p

So I get ya, but that wasn't too unexpected IMO.

Yozhik
June 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Between this forum and the UK, I was mainly just surprised not to see any redheads...I think I spend too much time on the henna threads!

There was one redhead! I spotted her and thought it was good that at least there was one redhead, and then was confused, because surely red hair is not that uncommon . . . :hmm:

Ooh, and I liked Miss Hawaii and the one other Asian girl they had. Did anyone else notice that there were quite a few girls with very Russian names who also looked quite Russian? :) (I guess my heritage is showing through :p)

LaceyNg
June 3rd, 2012, 10:30 PM
i too was disappointed to see only 1 read head-- oklahoma? and really, i dont even consider that red, since it's so far from what a natural red would be :( and to top it off, her extension color was NOT AT ALL a match!?

i would totally wear new mexico and Pennsylvania's hair-do's though, and a toned-down version of a few others.

but yeah, they lightened all of the photos SO much that lots of details were lost, and if they were going to have the men in the shots at all i think they could have at least blurred them out a slight bit to make them more out of focus.

all in all, this is NOT what i'd expect of a professional photoshoot! get your crap together, Miss USA people!

PrincessofCups
June 4th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I liked the theme and the idea of showcasing long hairstyles (even if they are extensions). However, the photoshopping and the lack of difference (or so it seems) kind of ruined it for me. I don't really expect much from beauty contests.

I think everyone is beautiful!:cheer:

inertia
June 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I LOVE these looks! I'm really happy I peeked in this thread because earlier tonight I was playing with some of my hairpieces and looking at tutorials to get some ideas for summer updos. I like to use extension pieces in my updos during the summer because Tokyo is extremely humid in July/August, and semi-loose styles which I can do at any other time of the year suddenly become impossible because my hair won't behave. But I don't like the look of very sleek and tight hairstyles on me either. So I was already thinking that one of my go-to styles for summer would be a basic bun with a rope wig (http://www.prisila.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=481) wrapped around it to add volume and texture.

The gallery had a few styles that I should be able to do relatively easily with hairpieces I already own. And I love the idea of using jewelry in the hairdos. I'll definitely try some of these for summer party looks this year!

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I LOVE these looks! I'm really happy I peeked in this thread because earlier tonight I was playing with some of my hairpieces and looking at tutorials to get some ideas for summer updos. I like to use extension pieces in my updos during the summer because Tokyo is extremely humid in July/August, and semi-loose styles which I can do at any other time of the year suddenly become impossible because my hair won't behave. But I don't like the look of very sleek and tight hairstyles on me either. So I was already thinking that one of my go-to styles for summer would be a basic bun with a rope wig (http://www.prisila.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=481) wrapped around it to add volume and texture.

The gallery had a few styles that I should be able to do relatively easily with hairpieces I already own. And I love the idea of using jewelry in the hairdos. I'll definitely try some of these for summer party looks this year!
Really? OMG you better post pictures!!

Yeah, these hairstyles are fantabulous!

Kosmos
June 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
They're really airbrushed. I wish they'd just take legit photos. Mmffm. They are gorgeous though.

afu
June 6th, 2012, 05:16 PM
its a pity they are all made to look pretty much the same, I bet they look nicer in real life rather than with all the fakery. I like the fact that they are obviously putting long hair across as being a sign of beauty

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I haven't seen lipliner in years! Viva le 90s!

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I think they could have done a bit better matching some of the hairpieces (also was it really necessary to photoshop them to all have the same jawline?).

But I'm sure it was a wonderful representation of the competition.

auburntressed
June 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Weird. When I was tiny, I remember watching Miss USA on TV and feeling just sick inside because I knew I would never be beautiful like that.

Now when I see beauty contestants or models or what have you... I feel disappointed because I just don't think they are all that pretty. Then I get depressed because I think to myself, "Wow... THAT is our culture idealized view of beauty right now? What a sham."

I guess I really dislike the fake makeup/airbrushed look. I don't know why exactly. Something about fake'ness just puts me off. Maybe when I was little, I just didn't see through it like I do now.

ETA: I am also very disappointed that out of all 51, there is not a single redhead.

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
There may not be that much airbrushing going on as they have some SERIOUS makeup on. That was the thing I noticed the most. Kim Kardashian ain't got nothing on them.

Also, pageant contestants notoriously have similar faces as they tend to be the conventional beauty--their features are very "average" (think Goldilocks: not to big, not too small, not too sharp, not too soft, just right). You'll end up with similar jawlines, similar dimensions and the like. They appeal to a wide audience instead of having polarizing features (example, some people love Julia Robert's smile, some hate it).

There was one contestant with a very Roman nose, and I thought it was so cool that they shot it in profile. That was a bold move and very cool, in my opinion.

Strelitzia
June 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I honestly couldn't tell the difference between half of the women - they could have been the same person just different wig/costume! :o Is that what you have to look like to be called "beautiful"? As LHC'er above said "THAT is our culture idealized view of beauty right now?!" Not denying that they aren't attractive but beauty comes in so many different ways!
Shame that they slapped so much make-up on that you couldn't really see who they were.

Still, rant aside, I did like looking at all the gorgeous hairstyles, although think I'd look rather silly if I tried any myself, or certainly would end up looking like a deranged lion afterwards! :D

kindacowboy
June 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I was mainly looking at the hairstyles and the headpieces and thinking "could I pull something like this but less dramatic off?" I have never been a slave to style so if I had some where fancy to go I think YES! But alas I have no where fancy to go..........

I agree that I am not sure that there was dramatic photoshopping going on-just the lighting/shadow layer adjustments which i guess can be pretty dramatic..but I think it is more that the makeup is done by the same professionals in the same way and the girls all pretty much do have similar features...it is kinda weird but hey a lot of them pay their way through college with pageants! But some do take it way too seriously.........