PDA

View Full Version : Interesting micro-documentary on black women's hair

QMacrocarpa
June 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
I just saw this short film while poking around at the New York Times website. I enjoyed it and thought folks here might like it too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/opinion/black-women-and-natural-hair.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/opinion/black-women-and-natural-hair.html)

pepperminttea
June 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
That was a really lovely little documentary, thanks for sharing it. :) I've noticed the explosion of natural black hair vids on youtube too, it's wonderful to see positive inspiration spreading.

KAggs
June 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
This was definitely a breath of fresh air to watch. Thank you for sharing this!

Annibelle
June 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
I love it! I really hope to see more natural hair in my community, too. :) It's so healthy and fluffy and always looks so fun and pretty. My (African American) best friend went natural for a while and she looked great, but she kept getting negative comments from other black women. They would even steer her toward their hair stylists to "fix" her hair. She finally gave in and relaxed her hair again. :(

winship2
June 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thank you, that was lovely!

evieisocoolike
June 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
This was so beautiful! :) It's really nice to see videos supporting "going natural".

Astraea
June 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
The clip was nice, I had heard about it but am so inundated with everything naturally curly/wavy by way of a trillion sites like CurlyNikki, Urban Bush Babes and BGLH that I didn't get around to looking at this doc until today.

I was surprised the director's subjects in general didn't identify the subversion of long-ingrained beauty standards as sociopolitical resistance because it seems that women on forums I visit do so overwhelmingly.

Thanx for posting!

Tisiloves
June 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
That was a lovely documentary. :)

Kiwiwi
June 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Beautiful!!
I can't wait to see more and more people accepting their hair for what it is and loving it and taking care of it, whatever the texture. Instead of always altering it, always making it different from what it is. Would love to see much more of that in the streets in the near future! :D

caadam
June 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
I love natural afro hair. It's so soft and curly, along with many other textures. It's so beautiful.

I can understand, though, if a black woman wants to chemically treat their hair. It's her choice, and it's her own perspective on true beauty in her own mind. However, I will always like their natural hair better, because it's pretty and not ugly at all.

Also... around 5:17 on the documentary, there's this lady wearing these awesome wide comb earrings. I want them so badly. lol

letibear
June 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
As someone who's battled curly hair for years, this was very inspiring. I was always pulling it back, keeping it restricted to braids or rolled up in buns, and the very few times I wore it down (maybe 2 or 3 times in a year) I would flat iron it, as you can see in my signature pic.

Gave up the fight, just gonna let my hair do what it wants now. :)