PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the genes!

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone!
I just wanted to take some time to thank my great-grandmother, who I am positive gave me my long hair genes. She had classic length hair up until the day she died (age 84).
Here is a picture of my lovely great-grandmother in her twenties.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8516/64601132662410430559351.jpg

Is your long hair genetic? If so, who do you think is responsible for it?

SurferB
June 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes. Although there are other environmental factors, too.

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Yes. Although there are other environmental factors, too.

Of course. What I found weird was that up until about three years ago, I would rip my comb through my hair and treat it horribly, but it still grew super long. My mom used to have tailbone length hair too. For me, it's definitely genetic :disco:

Tressie
June 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
She is beautiful! I don't know who to thank unless it's my maternal grandmother. I always remember her wearing her hair in a bun, and it was quite long. Also my DD had a good bit of lovely white hair up until the Lord called him home! :flower:

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
She is beautiful! I don't know who to thank unless it's my maternal grandmother. I always remember her wearing her hair in a bun, and it was quite long. Also my DD had a good bit of lovely white hair up until the Lord called him home! :flower:

Thank you. Your hair is so gorgeous! I wish mine would reach calf length!

Amber_Maiden
June 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Your great-grandmother is gorgeous!!!

Ticky
June 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
She was beautiful! My hair is not extremely long but I got my father's hair genes, and there were some stunning longhairs in his family.

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Your great-grandmother is gorgeous!!!

Thank you! She was full-blooded Mayan, but often got called Turkish lol

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
She was beautiful! My hair is not extremely long but I got my father's hair genes, and there were some stunning longhairs in his family.

Lucky you! My dad is a total baldie lol

RitaCeleste
June 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
I spend a lot of time complaining about my genes. Perhaps I should look at it differently. My hair isn't straight, but it is not that hard to care for and it takes a lot of abuse. Babying it doesn't result in hair commercial hair. I've learned the hard way that it is what it is. What it is is easy to have long. I deep condition it and oil it and its happy down. That's it. That's all I have to do. That's pretty darn nice in the end. Sure I could wear it up, I could do all kinds of things for it but it'd look pretty much the same. At least its EASY!!! lol

jacqueline101
June 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Your great grandmother is beautiful.

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I spend a lot of time complaining about my genes. Perhaps I should look at it differently. My hair isn't straight, but it is not that hard to care for and it takes a lot of abuse. Babying it doesn't result in hair commercial hair. I've learned the hard way that it is what it is. What it is is easy to have long. I deep condition it and oil it and its happy down. That's it. That's all I have to do. That's pretty darn nice in the end. Sure I could wear it up, I could do all kinds of things for it but it'd look pretty much the same. At least its EASY!!! lol

I know what you mean. My hair doesn't like to hold any type of curl or even straight hair. It just does it's thing and I have my good days and my bad days, but I'm happy enough with the fact that I can grow it pretty long.

ladylowtide
June 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
I see a lot of women on my fathers side with thick beautiful hair. And my moms side a lot women with a lot of fine hair. But they all lop it off so I have no idea. I hope end up like the ones that still have hair I guess?

julierockhead
June 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
My mom's hair grows very fast, although she chops it. I think my speedy hair came from her.

dwell_in_safety
June 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
I honestly have no idea how long my hair can grow. My mother had healthy hip-length hair for a few years when I was a baby, but that is all. I inherited my father's hair, though, and so far nobody has grown hair very long, that I have known of/seen.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
My maternal grandmother had hip-length braids all the time that I remember her, so if I have the same genes, my hair isn't going to get much longer than classic. As a matter of fact, I always have so many split ends by the time I get to classic length that I always cut it back to about tailbone. I wonder if my grandmother had the same issue. I never knew her to cut her hair, but maybe it broke off at that length.

Anyway, your grandmother's picture is beautiful, IvanaGil.

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
My maternal grandmother had hip-length braids all the time that I remember her, so if I have the same genes, my hair isn't going to get much longer than classic. As a matter of fact, I always have so many split ends by the time I get to classic length that I always cut it back to about tailbone. I wonder if my grandmother had the same issue. I never knew her to cut her hair, but maybe it broke off at that length.

Anyway, your grandmother's picture is beautiful, IvanaGil.

Thank you. I have the same problem. Once I hit tailbone, the growth slows and spilts start popping out from everywhere! :mad:

letibear
June 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Your great-grandmother was stunning. Lovely hair, very commendable that it survived the flapper fashion of the 20's! :D

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Your great-grandmother was stunning. Lovely hair, very commendable that it survived the flapper fashion of the 20's! :D

Lol I know. Even know it irks me to see so many girls with super short hair. Long hair is too beautiful to waste :o

trolleypup
June 3rd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Definitely I can thank my mom's side of the family, although there is happily also very little baldness on my dad's side. But yeah, coarse straight indestructible asian hair...not than any of them grow it long.

CurlyCap
June 3rd, 2012, 12:30 AM
If anything, my entire body and especially my hair proved to me that genetics are real.

My mom has 1c fine hair and my dad 4-something medium hair. I'm 3b/c with strands of medium and fine mostly. I have my mom's balding pattern and my dad's graying pattern. I grow at the same speed as my mom by in the same seasonal spurts as my dad.

It's kinda nice because I can point to anything physical and know exactly what parent I got it from. :D

battles
June 3rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
My mom and I have very similar hair. Same color, texture and all. Mine may be a little thicker. I know that she had somewhere between TBL to classic length hair before I was born (all she told me was butt length :p), so I hope that I can also reach at least TBL.

EyeFuzz
June 3rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
I believe I can attribute some of my hair to genes, although I wish I would have gotten more from my mothers side (she has lovely curls). My maternal great grandmother had knee length hair up until she died.

IvanaGil
June 3rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
If anything, my entire body and especially my hair proved to me that genetics are real.

My mom has 1c fine hair and my dad 4-something medium hair. I'm 3b/c with strands of medium and fine mostly. I have my mom's balding pattern and my dad's graying pattern. I grow at the same speed as my mom by in the same seasonal spurts as my dad.

It's kinda nice because I can point to anything physical and know exactly what parent I got it from. :D

How cool! That's awesome.

IvanaGil
June 3rd, 2012, 12:55 AM
I believe I can attribute some of my hair to genes, although I wish I would have gotten more from my mothers side (she has lovely curls). My maternal great grandmother had knee length hair up until she died.

Wow, it must have been gorgeous. I wish my mom could've shared her curls with me too lol

Loreley
June 3rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
I can't remember anyone from my family who had really long hair. One of my maternal great-grandmothers had about hip length hair but that's all. I definitely inherited my mane (thickness, curls, color, everything) from my father. My mom has very fine, thin, straight hair which grows very slowly and gets demaged easily. My father is the opposite. He is 48 and the hairdresser told him he has as much hair as her whole family. :lol: His sister, my aunt also has the same hair, just like my grandma (although, hers is dark blond with greys).

caadam
June 3rd, 2012, 04:16 AM
My hair's thickness, color, and texture came from my mother. I have a picture of her when she was around my age and was visiting New Zealand. She's squatting on this dirt path, her back to the camera, and all you see is this black, wavy, THICK mane of TBL hair. lol It's one of my favorite family pictures. :)

Zesty
June 3rd, 2012, 04:30 AM
My hair is definitely my mom's. I have the same hair color and a very similar texture (my hair is slightly wavier, which may come from Dad's side's curly hair?), though mine might be slightly thicker. But there's not really much comparison now as my mom has abused her hair to death and keeps it around shoulder-APL, chemically dyes it, straightens or curls it often, etc. It's kind of candy fluff now. But it's interesting to note that in her 40s her once stick straight hair has gotten quite wavy, almost to the point of being curly. I'm kind of hoping for some more wave later in life myself. :)

But, in summary, there are no super long hairs in my family. I actually hardly know what my dad's side's hair is like, because EVERYONE keeps it so short. I think everyone is a little in awe of me for that reason -- they didn't think it was possible with our genes.