PDA

View Full Version : Interesting (partially misguided?) hair article

Bunnysaur
June 2nd, 2012, 12:08 AM
I came across this article (http://www.dailyglow.com/photo-gallery/the-secret-to-good-hair-days?xid=aol_dg-beauty_1_20120528_&aolcat=ESP&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl26%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D166201#/slide-1) a few minutes ago, and though I'd share it here to see what you guys thought of it. Some of the tips seem pretty alright, but others (slides 3 & 6, in particular) seem a little misguided, at least by LHC standards.
Spoiler: Slide 6 warns against the evils of natural bristled brushes :p

Micayla47
June 2nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
interesting. what she says about shampooing is just one opinion and it may be good for some, but more important than "expert" opinion is trial and error on one's own hair. i know from years of experience that my hair and scalp are a lot happier when i shampoo less often.

DarkCurls
June 2nd, 2012, 12:16 AM
Interesting.

But yeah, the bit about skipping washes irks me. :D Every two days? Yeah, right.

And look for a brush whose bristles are ball-tipped
--> I'm not even going to comment on this one.

Bunnysaur
June 2nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I was a little weirded out by the skipping washes too. I read that, and I was like "wait... but... but... no..."
I liked that she said that oils and such can be a good thing, but the brushing and washing bits kinda bothered me.

Zesty
June 2nd, 2012, 02:48 AM
What caught my attention is that he deemed wide tooth combs to be "the gentlest option of all," while I was thinking, "What about finger combing?" :p Also, when he compares the bit about washing your scalp to washing your face... I was thinking that I never wash my face, unless you consider rinsing "washing," and that my dry, eczema-prone skin seems to do way better the less I wash it, so why should my scalp be so different?

DarkCurls
June 2nd, 2012, 02:50 AM
Zesty, rinsing is for me washing. Like when I do WO (I WO on Saturdays, CO on Tuesdays), I consider it a "wash" for my hair.
Otherwise my face never gets "washed."

Bunnysaur
June 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
I thought the same thing about the face washing. I recently lost the charger to my Clarisonic, and I've pretty much just been rinsing all week, and my face looks awesome.

pepperminttea
June 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
I normally only WO with my face, too, with a little 'cone-free moisturiser twice a week. I find the more products I use on my face (cleansing or otherwise), the more spots I get. :shrug:

Articles like this never seem to take account of how different one person's hair or face or skin can be from another's.

SnowWhite
June 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Every skin and hair type is different. One thing I've learned is to never ever say that something works for everybody because it just doesn't!
The dermatologist Noelle Sherber in the article, saying that you MUST shampoo your hair... I thought she should know better... There are a lot of people with scalp problems and shampoos can be too harsh for them?
I mean... there are other ways of cleansing?? A little bit narrow minded perhaps...

To be honest, my face is better the less I rinse it with water. I did rinse my face twice a day but I got more breakouts... Now I clean my face with a cotton pad and coconut oil and I only rinse my face when I'm washing my hair and it works fantastic.

Must be the same thing with hair. If people until mid 20th century did NOT use shampoo, why are we FORCED to use it now? If people had the urge of inventing shampoo, they could because they had a lot of other inventive beauty and skincare products through history.

Because of this articles, I stick with LHC as my source of information about hair care since the members write down their processes of trial and error. :D

henné
June 2nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
Articles like that really annoy me.

My friend SWEARS by co-washing only. My hair can't take co-washing - it gets seriously nasty and I 'am' using 'the right' conditioner. What does that say? Everyone's hair is different. Period.

The same goes for our facial skin. I can't not wash my face - I immediately get bumps (the ones under the skin that are not really breakouts). I have to use 'something' besides oil to wash my face. While others might only need water and/or oil.

Many people are lazy though and are looking for a fix-all solution. So they enjoy articles like these. I hate these articles because they're giving people the notion that there is the one correct way. Load of BS. Some folks' hair really loves BBB, some prefer wide-combs and others don't need to do more than finger comb.

:disco:

Tisiloves
June 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
It totally ignores the role of the hair as well, my face needs to be washed, scrubbed and moisturised at least every other day or my t-zone is an oil slick and my cheeks are flakey. For my scalp I just need a quick TT and BBB to redistribute ( and a bit of oil) and I'm good to only wash twice a week.

knux
June 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Misguided is an appropriate way to describe this article, but I think some of us are quick to judge now that we are apart of this community. I see this article as a stepping stone to this site. It was advice like this, advice that showed me that using a comb instead of a brush, and looking for ways to care for the source of the hair that brought me here.

This can give a few people a different way of looking at hair care, which in my case, caused me to seek out other 'alternative' ways to care for my growing hair. This article is very much a stepping stone, by introducing people to oiling their hair and scalp with olive oil (which was odd for me at first) and to read the ingredients labels which a lot of people skip over when buying hair products. Instead of just ripping everything people know about taking care of their hair out of there hands and telling them their wrong, articles like this one guide people into different ways of thinking.

Perhaps, as a result of articles like these, we will find our community growing.

WaitingSoLong
June 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Interesting. There is so much advice out there, it is hard to know what to do when you are genuinely seeking to change something for the better. It IS trial and error and it IS personal, unique to the person. Body chemistry rarely seems to be taken into consideration. To me it is liek saying this ONE perfume is good for ALL women. Well...maybe I don't like it or my DH doesn't like it or maybe it turns to powdery smelling on my skin but smells awesome on someone else.

I am trying to understand their reasons for encouraging more frequent washing, though. They DID suggest sulfate-free and recommended avoiding drying chemicals. Seems ot me the next best thing is au naturale. It was raher contradictory to me, like our own scalp oil (sebum) is just to be discarded as not good enough.

PolarCathy
June 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
After reading this:

"'Thorough cleansing is critical for a healthy scalp; imagine how your face would look if you only washed it once a week,' Sherber says."

-- I didn't read any further. No point.

MUHAHHAHAHHHAHHA

Answer: the best,ever. That's how my skin would // DOES look like, if I don't wash it with anything else than water. I assume she meant detergents.

quintanion
June 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
The assertion that we gather so much dirt and grime that it will impair our scalp/hair health if it's not stripped off daily seems rather silly to me. Of course, it does get frustrating that almost all hair care advice is based on opinion and personal experience, when well-designed research could provide a more grounded basis for recommendations.

Dorothy
June 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
^^This. Science, rather than company propaganda, would be a nice change. I scrub my face daily with a body brush and goat's milk soap, and must wash every other day, I am that oily. It's the only way for me not to break out, and it works well. People are so different, all such advice must be bunk.

RitaCeleste
June 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Well, I read it but I know what works on me. I also know some things that might work but that I'm not really willing to do anyway. I think its great to try different things and see if you find them worth doing. Its kinda sad that people don't know what to do for their hair and need to research it. The best tips for me have been the oils and deep conditioning with regular conditioners, skipping the shampoo if I don't actually need it. Even using all natural products, I do get build up and want my sulfates occasionally. I can grow hair. I can't grow straight hair. I can grow frizz. I can pouf. I'm not good at wearing it up. I can trim. I can shed. I'm too lazy for vitamins usually. Its not that any of the stuff I don't do isn't good, its just that its not really something I'm happy to try to do on a regular basis.