PDA

View Full Version : Glycerin Success

mendy
June 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
I have a lot of damage from past heat styling. The outer layer of my hair is not capable of holding in moisture; it flows in and then flows right out. I have tried all kinds of conditioners and oils -- nothing stays.

Vegetable glycerin on my wet hair has worked, however. It attracts moisture from the air to my hair and KEEPS IT THERE. It supposedly does not work on dry days (takes moisture FROM your hair), nor VERY humid ones (too much moisture), but for now, for two days now, my hair has felt soft and conditioned and healthy and unlike its usual stiff, fried self.

Success!

myHairGrowth
June 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Good. I ve also bought vegetable glycerin to try on my dry hair. I ve to see how my hair responds to it.

mendy
June 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Good luck..Let me know if it's just me.

I shampooed, co'ed and just combed about a heaping tsp. of VG through my not-very-thick, soaking wet hair.

I have since put in some oil to get it to sit a bit flatter, but really just going for improvement there. The glycerin really did the work. My hair is even a bit shiny (gasp)!

Astraea
June 2nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
@mendy Glad you're having success with glycerin. I have loved it's benefits and also suffered from accidental misuse with large scale breakage even in a humid environment.

@myHairgGrowth I would greatly caution against using glycerin on dry hair as it becomes rabid for moisture in my experience and would suggest googling a recipe with a high water:glycerin ratio (as opposed to applying directly to dry or even wet hair), perhaps one with a pinch of an EO or carrier oil in it as well. There are tons of YT recipes and on curly sites like CurlyNikki as well.

Georgii
October 9th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for posting. I have just bought some to try now. I hope it goes well!

ErinLeigh
October 9th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I mix mine with water spritz on damp hair then follow with an oil seal.
I live in a humid climate but it still works well for me somehow.