PDA

View Full Version : Do Vegans Use Honey In Their Hair?

snowcloud
June 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
i know Vegans live a strict lifestyle of no animal products but if you were a Vegan, would you not use honey in your hair?

:confused:

I guess this question can only be answered by a Vegan because I know some of them may only be concerned with what they are eating..

Amber_Maiden
June 1st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Well, there are some vegans who eat and use honey. I eat and use honey (and yes, I'm vegan. It's been about 7 years now), because I don't see as how it hurts the bees, and I don't see it as stealing as they never use it all.

So yes, I do use it in my hair as well.

sarahbrownie
June 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
Honey is a complicated thing in the vegan community. As a Vegan, I'm not super strict about it, but it still is considered an animal-product since it's produced by an animal.

Littlewing13
June 1st, 2012, 10:28 PM
Its a personal thing. Theres different levels of strict-ness when it comes to veganism. I have no problems with eating or using it, although I don't tend to eat it as I don't particularly like the taste. But in theory any products that a vegan wont eat they also wont use (eg meat & leather etc). I won't use dairy or eggs in my hair either.

snowcloud
June 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM
I find that interesting.. My best friend is Vegan but when I asked him about this, hes was like,"Dude.. Why would you even put honey in your hair in the first place?"

Needless to say, I am one of the few people I know that is very attentive to my hair and its natural state.

I have been contemplating the vegan lifestyle but, I do not think I am up for it. Thanks for all your replies though!!

PoppyCakes
June 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
I am vegan but honey is the only animal product I still consume. For the same reasons as stated above ie. it doesn't harm the bees, and they don't need it. And I would use it in my hair!

freckles
June 2nd, 2012, 03:57 AM
I'm vegan, and I don't eat honey or use it in my hair.

ladyfey
June 2nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
I'd never heard of vegans using honey until coming to this forum, I still don't get it, but that's me.

ladyfey
June 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

Heatherzilla
June 2nd, 2012, 05:52 AM
I'm vegan and I don't. It seems to be something pretty widely debated in the vegan community. I just think that with the decrease in bee population over the years that humans should interfere with bees as little as possible. They're an important part of our ecosystem and we need to keep 'em around.

Annibelle
June 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
I'm a vegetarian who is phasing out dairy and eggs. I will probably never, however, be a vegan, because to me vegans cannot consume honey. After reading some arguments about it, I find that eating honey can be beneficial to the bee community-- as long as it's obtained ethically. The bee populations are dwindling, and a responsible beekeeper gives the bees a safe place to nest when they're not flitting around doing bee stuff. :) (Of course, big name companies take way too much of the hive's honey, probably hurting them more than they help.)

I'm not trying to convert anyone to eating honey here; I'm just explaining why I think eating honey isn't necessarily bad, and why I still don't consider it vegan to eat it. And that goes for external application, as well. :)

Firefly
June 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM
Just wanted to chime in as a beekeeper. Beekeeepers are actually helping the bee populations increase, as we are providing areas for them to live which are rapidly disappearing in the wild. I can't tell you how many calls I get each summer from people who have honey bee nests in their attics etc and want them removed. I appreciate the calls-- better I relocate to another local beekeeper than have them exterminated.

And yes, the honey we take is all surplus. No beekeeper takes what the bees need... that would be counter productive!

PoppyCakes
June 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
That was so good to hear an actual beekeeper agree with honey being an ethical product, thank you Firefly!

Firefly
June 2nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
You're very welcome! :)

WaitingSoLong
June 2nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
So insect products qualify as animal? So...no silk. Also, insulin would be an issue for a vegan as would some hormones made from animals and such? Sorry, sort of OT but I guess I never thought about it much. It is always good to get my head out of the sand and understand other people's lives and perspectives.

Annibelle
June 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
Yep, no silk either, WaitingSoLong. :) Or wool.

freckles
June 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
So insect products qualify as animal? So...no silk. Also, insulin would be an issue for a vegan as would some hormones made from animals and such? Sorry, sort of OT but I guess I never thought about it much. It is always good to get my head out of the sand and understand other people's lives and perspectives.

As a vegan, I don't buy/wear silk (eta: also carmine, cochineal, beeswax, shellac -- other insect products that most people don't think of as being 'animal products'), no. :)

The issue of medical stuff is a bit more complicated, though -- many (not all) vegans are 'okay' with taking non-vegan medicine (for various reasons) -- especially vital medicines like insulin, but even ones that are more a matter of choice, like OTC painkillers, birth control, etc (many pills use a carrier derived from milk). I take non-vegan painkillers/other OTC medications from time to time, and I'm not on hormonal birth control at the moment, but when I was, that wasn't vegan either.

ouseljay
June 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
To see some reasons why some vegans might not use honey, check out http://vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm (just for example). Scroll down to "The Enslavement of Bees." I've known vegans who eschew honey for those or similar reasons. (Edit: Come to think of it, those were the first arguments against using honey more complex than "because it's an animal product" I ever heard.) Even though I'm vegetarian rather than vegan, I do try to be consious of the environmental and ethical impact of the animal products I eat and use, but I have to admit that though I use honey I've never done particular research to verify or debunk the claims in essays such as the one I linked.

Littlewing13
June 3rd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Just wanted to chime in as a beekeeper. Beekeeepers are actually helping the bee populations increase, as we are providing areas for them to live which are rapidly disappearing in the wild. I can't tell you how many calls I get each summer from people who have honey bee nests in their attics etc and want them removed. I appreciate the calls-- better I relocate to another local beekeeper than have them exterminated.

And yes, the honey we take is all surplus. No beekeeper takes what the bees need... that would be counter productive!

Thanks for that info :) I wasn't sure on the matter but I thought that this was the case.

sarahbrownie
June 3rd, 2012, 08:24 AM

Would you say it this would be for all honey or just local honey? Like, would it apply to the generic version my mom buys from the supermarket too?

(This is just me being suspicious of factory farming...;) )

Arya
June 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
I have a lot of respect for vegetarians and vegans. It's sustainable, can be very healthy, and I really understand the desire to inflict as little cruelty as one can throughout life.

I just really hope the people who are concerned about the 'enslavement of bees' are just as concerned about certain vegan ingredients' (I'm thinking palm oil) effect on endangered animals and the 'enslavement of actual people' in mines and factories that produce our metals, minerals, and oil for jewellery, technology, and transportation.

Indigo Girl
June 3rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Another vegan checking in - I do not use honey.

Firefly
June 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Would you say it this would be for all honey or just local honey? Like, would it apply to the generic version my mom buys from the supermarket too?

(This is just me being suspicious of factory farming...;) )

No, most definitely I am speaking about your average small scale or backyard beekeepers. I am not a fan of factory farming, bees or otherwise! The mass produced honey is crap anyway-- the lowest quality with none of the health benefits. If you choose to buy honey, please do buy locally!

Annibelle
June 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Firefly, what are the health benefits of honey? I just thought it was tasty-- I didn't know it was healthy! :yumm:

Firefly
June 3rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
There are many articles out there, but here's one that's pretty extensive:

http://www.naturalnews.com/021506.html

We've used it to successfully treat my son's allergies, coughs and cold, acne, burns (including a serious 2nd degree burn that my daughter had--the doctors said she would most likely need plastic surgery, but it healed beautifully with calendula, comfrey, and honey).

We also use it as much as possible in place of sugar; I believe the body processes it more easily than most refined sugars.

Hope that is helpful!

Annibelle
June 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
There are many articles out there, but here's one that's pretty extensive:

http://www.naturalnews.com/021506.html

We've used it to successfully treat my son's allergies, coughs and cold, acne, burns (including a serious 2nd degree burn that my daughter had--the doctors said she would most likely need plastic surgery, but it healed beautifully with calendula, comfrey, and honey).

We also use it as much as possible in place of sugar; I believe the body processes it more easily than most refined sugars.

Hope that is helpful!

That's AWESOME! I'm gonna try it for my allergies. :cheese:

I've never had raw honey, though. That's the really pale colored kind, right? I've seen it in the store... colored like sand instead of amber, right? Does it taste similar to the refined honey sold in most stores?

Firefly
June 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
PMing you so I don't further derail the thread. ;)

jessica77
June 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
It could be a really useful way of keeping the hair healthy?

RedheadMistress
June 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
- When I was Vegan for 7-8 years, I didn't use any animal products, including honey. Also including to check up if the alcohol you drink is vegan or not, etc. There's a lot of things a lot of "vegans" dont check up .

jillosity
June 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
When I was raw vegan, I ate honey and called myself a "beegan". I also love honey for it's medicinal value, look up Manuka honey to read more.

Annibelle
June 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
"Beegan" sounds really cute. :crush:

truepeacenik
June 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'd say that adding "on hair" might make a difference.

I was a lacto veg for many years. Basically, I still am, but I have intolerance to cows milk that isn't fermented.
I walked a strict veg road (meaning all food and body products were animal free) a lot of that time.
I do use second hand wool, leather or silk.
I don't use ivory or bone black paint. But I used a lot of film which has gelatin.

For me personally, I couldn't justify new animal products for vanity, as clothes or body/hair care.
A friendship with a beekeeper, and the chance to see for myself how honey was harvested, brought me to a honey acceptance. I use local honey as I have pollen allergies and it seems to help.
I use locally made lip balm with beeswax. I doubt the wax is local.

Notice what word I haven't yet typed.
Vegan.

For me, that is the philosophy first and actions second.
I don't fully agree with AR philosophy.
I truly believe a backyard chicken is more ethical than imported hemp seed, gmo seeds, or CAFOs.
Others disagree. That is their right.

jillosity
June 3rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
"Beegan" sounds really cute. :crush:

I agree, but I can't take credit for it, it's a common term amongst raw vegans and doesn't seem to be used as often amongst "cooked" vegans. And to be more on topic, I have always been interested in making my hair dark (hence my henndigo removal woes) so something that lightened my hair wouldn't have been a draw, no matter how I'm eating.

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Well, there are some vegans who eat and use honey. I eat and use honey (and yes, I'm vegan. It's been about 7 years now), because I don't see as how it hurts the bees, and I don't see it as stealing as they never use it all.

So yes, I do use it in my hair as well.

Same here

My fellow vegan: :flower: