PDA

View Full Version : Your hair is going to fall off in chunks!

AnqeIicDemise
June 1st, 2012, 06:15 PM
So, recently I've been using the Vatika hair oil (the one in the green bottle) the last month. I've noticed that my hair is shinier, softer and wavier. I have also noticed a teeny bit of breakage (my stupid fault for being too lazy to wear it up and using dull paper scissors to S&D with while at work. Two things I'm no longer doing!) but nothing terrible.

I also noticed it was getting a bit redder, but I thought it was my imagination. DH asked me if I'd been doing something different to my hair and in the same breath said I should never stop because my tresses were breathtaking. (He just knows what to say to make me fall in love with him again. :D) He couldn't pin-point what exactly was different, just that something ... was.

So I had this exchange at work today:

Designer: hey, Demise, did you do something different to your hair?
M: No... not really. Why?
D: It looks different somehow. Did you cut it?
M: Hell no!
D: Haha.. that's right, you're the Rapunzel's cousin. :p But seriously.. what have you done?
M: I honestly don't know. Hubby asked me the same question.
D: He, Colorist, come here! Didn't Demise change something about her hair?
C: Yeah, and I'm angry. You had your hair colored by someone else, didn't you!
M: O.O No! I haven't had anyone dye it since January when you did it! -- speaking of which, its time to have the roots re-bleached again. I want it more purple this time.
C: Don't lie, its redder.
M: It is? -picks up a chunk of the underside.- Well, what do you know, it really is! -lightbulb- Oh! I think it might be the new oil I'm using. I was reading the ingredients yesterday and I can't believe I forgot since my LHC friends had mentioned it, it has henna in it. Maybe that's why its getting redder.

And then I swear, it was like I told them that I like to ingest gasoline while sodomizing a newborn baby. Their eyes bugged out, one of them covered her mouth and I was pulled aside to a quieter area.

D: Oh my god! You got to stop using that!
C: You're going to have to cut it all off.
D: I can clear my schedule for you.
C: I can't color your hair anymore. It'll destroy it.
M: What are you guys talking about?}
D: Really, Demise, we thought you'd know better since you're such an avid long-hair lover.. but gosh.. henna is going to melt your hair off. Its going to fall out in chunks if you dye over it.

:disgust:

O... k..

Tisiloves
June 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
D: Really, Demise, we thought you'd know better since you're such an avid long-hair lover.. but gosh.. henna is going to melt your hair off. Its going to fall out in chunks if you dye over it.

O... k..

I am so glad my mum has a lot of hippie and Indian friends, her only comment when I told her my new colour was henna was "It's not as bright as henna usually is." No, Mum, we're inside and I'm not blonde like Aunty Jojo.

julierockhead
June 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Well, now you can educate them :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
I am so glad my mum has a lot of hippie and Indian friends, her only comment when I told her my new colour was henna was "It's not as bright as henna usually is." No, Mum, we're inside and I'm not blonde like Aunty Jojo.

Hahah!

I was simply surprised because I thought Vatika oil wasn't supposed to affect the hair color at all. In fact, it says its supposed to 'preserve your natural hair color' o.o;

Then again I do have natural red undertones so it may be making those stand out more and since the underside is already bleached its turned redder?

Tisiloves
June 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hahah!

I was simply surprised because I thought Vatika oil wasn't supposed to affect the hair color at all. In fact, it says its supposed to 'preserve your natural hair color' o.o;

Then again I do have natural red undertones so it may be making those stand out more and since the underside is already bleached its turned redder?

Quite possibly, when I still had virgin hair and used brunette shampoo and conditioner with henna it brought out the red in my hair.

Littlewing13
June 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Omg. Yes I was a hairdresser & thats what they told me too. I think its a conspiracy by hair colour companies to scare people away from henna so they don't realise how bad commercial colour is in comparison.

BTW, if you bleach your hair then the part you bleach will have no natural colour left, so I'd say the oil is colouring your hair, not just bringing out highlights. Also henna only ever gets darker so bear that in mind too. Maybe just use as a pre-oil shampoo or be prepared fro red hair eventually.

caadam
June 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
"Really, Demise, we thought you'd know better since you're such an avid long-hair lover.. but gosh.. henna is going to melt your hair off. Its going to fall out in chunks if you dye over it. "

Me: ._________________. .... *walks away* no ¬____¬

Sorry, but I wouldn't be able to think of anything else to say to that. lol Or, if I wasn't in a feisty mood, I would tell them to come here! :cheese:

sarahbrownie
June 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM
Someone was complaining to me today about how they had to go to the salon for weeks to try to get the henna out because it never washed out on it's own.

I was like...GURL, you don't use henna and expect it to wash out..just no.

AnqeIicDemise
June 1st, 2012, 11:04 PM
"Really, Demise, we thought you'd know better since you're such an avid long-hair lover.. but gosh.. henna is going to melt your hair off. Its going to fall out in chunks if you dye over it. "

Me: ._________________. .... *walks away* no ¬____¬

Sorry, but I wouldn't be able to think of anything else to say to that. lol Or, if I wasn't in a feisty mood, I would tell them to come here! :cheese:

I didn't say anything either. I just gave them this: :disgust: and said it was time for me to go home.

I almost wanted to point out that C HAS bleached *and* colored my hair since my last full-headed henna treatment. And that was the third bleach job since I started putting in the purple into my hair. I haven't had any hair loss or breakage except for my own stupidity.... like using dull PAPEr scissors.

Someone was complaining to me today about how they had to go to the salon for weeks to try to get the henna out because it never washed out on it's own.

Hah! I know! When I first started hennaing my hair, it was easy. It was short and whatever... then I needed help to get full coverage and DH can't stand the smell. So I stopped. I had a semi-ish obvious line of demarcation for a bit and decided to dye it black.

The black faded to a red brown fairly quickly. I decided since then I'm just a red-headed at heart and stopped fighting it. :eyebrows:

Mesmerise
June 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Hahaha yes, I had a similar conversation with a hairdresser friend a few years back. My daughter had a red henna streak in her hair, and my hair was completely hennaed. When she asked about DD's hair, I said, "Oh yes, I put the streak of red in her hair, but it's only henna so it's non toxic". My friend freaked out!

She replied, "OMG henna is SO BAD FOR YOUR HAIR! You can't every dye over it or it will all melt off!" Well I was like :confused: because I had hennaed before... and dyed over it... and other stuff and no... it had NOT melted. She went on to talk about how "henna has metallic salts and they react with hair dye and cause your hair to melt."

Of course, I later found out there was some truth to what she said. The some truth being, that there are "henna dyes" with metallic salts, and yes they can react with other hair dyes and bleaches. BUT I had never used a henna dye, just pure henna or Lush henna.

Last time I saw this friend, she asked me if I was still hennaing my hair in a very "tut tut" kind of way lol. I assured her that I only used henna with NO metallic salts, and she very skeptically said, "okay... of you say so!" as if I had no idea :rolleyes:. Unfortunately, my hair was recovering from shedding and as a result had LOTS of shorter hairs, which she was pretty convinced were NOT regrowth but were obviously snapped off damaged hair, no doubt as a direct result of using the SATANICALLY EVIL HENNA on my hair!

It is a darn shame that hair stylists are taught all about the evils of henna :rolleyes:. Oh well, at least I know better :D.

AnqeIicDemise
June 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Hahaha yes, I had a similar conversation with a hairdresser friend a few years back. My daughter had a red henna streak in her hair, and my hair was completely hennaed. When she asked about DD's hair, I said, "Oh yes, I put the streak of red in her hair, but it's only henna so it's non toxic". My friend freaked out!

She replied, "OMG henna is SO BAD FOR YOUR HAIR! You can't every dye over it or it will all melt off!" Well I was like :confused: because I had hennaed before... and dyed over it... and other stuff and no... it had NOT melted. She went on to talk about how "henna has metallic salts and they react with hair dye and cause your hair to melt."

Of course, I later found out there was some truth to what she said. The some truth being, that there are "henna dyes" with metallic salts, and yes they can react with other hair dyes and bleaches. BUT I had never used a henna dye, just pure henna or Lush henna.

Last time I saw this friend, she asked me if I was still hennaing my hair in a very "tut tut" kind of way lol. I assured her that I only used henna with NO metallic salts, and she very skeptically said, "okay... of you say so!" as if I had no idea :rolleyes:. Unfortunately, my hair was recovering from shedding and as a result had LOTS of shorter hairs, which she was pretty convinced were NOT regrowth but were obviously snapped off damaged hair, no doubt as a direct result of using the SATANICALLY EVIL HENNA on my hair!

It is a darn shame that hair stylists are taught all about the evils of henna :rolleyes:. Oh well, at least I know better :D.

Yeah, its amusing. I don't bother looking at the henna dyes in the store and all I've used is art-quality henna. I've actually had more reactions to the stuff found in salons than with the more LHC-friendly stuff. Like.. Kerastase? Some people love it, but *my* scalp itches like the devils. The serum gave me hives on the back of my ears from where I touched them on accident. Lets not even go into the fact that is highly flammable until completely dry. Shu Imura gives me headaches from the smell..etc. The company brand stuff is terrible except for ONE shampoo which is a ph balancing shampoo. Its sulfate and paraben free but damn, it costs like $50 for a family sized bottle.

So while it makes my hair soft and pretty despite all the coney crap in it, I can't use it. Vatika oil may be turning my hair a few shades redder but I'm fine with that. I've put it on my scalp without problems at all. ^-^

I find it amusing I don't reach badly to bleach but that's about the most toxic thing I put on my hair nowadays.

ChelleyCredible
June 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
I am waiting for my hair to melt off. Like seriously?

Micayla47
June 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
i got the same speech about the evils of henna about 20 years ago. this was before the internet, so i just took my stylist's word and never tried it until 2 months ago when i joined lhc. what a shame i missed out on 20 years of being nice to my hair!!

Mesmerise
June 2nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
i got the same speech about the evils of henna about 20 years ago. this was before the internet, so i just took my stylist's word and never tried it until 2 months ago when i joined lhc. what a shame i missed out on 20 years of being nice to my hair!!

I am actually lucky I didn't get that speech 20 years ago when I first used henna. The only thing I regret is that I STOPPED henna and went back to chemical dyes for so long... I first found henna in the Body Shop and used that. It worked well but was very, very grainy and hard to remove. But it DID give me awesome red hair! Unfortunately there were no Body Shop stores locally to me, so I went back to chemical colour and went to a hair stylist to get my hair done. The worst she said to me was "henna can be very difficult to colour over". However, she said nothing about melting hair at all ;). I guess some hair stylists know the difference between real henna and "henna dyes" with added metallic salts and PPD and the like.

red-again
June 2nd, 2012, 02:11 AM
I told my hairdresser ( when I went to one) that I was using henna when she asked which dye I'd been using at home - oh it looks lovely, you should let us do it in here for you as you have missed a couple of bits of the regrowth on your under layers. So I told her the lengthy process and said I could bring some in " oh we couldn't insurance wise use the stuff you have BUT that's ok anyway because the stuff we can get only needs half an hour" !!!!!

I didn't even bother asking re ingredients, I knew there would be chemicals in her stuff. Smiled sweetly and left. Went a few more times before I was growing my hair long and had different hairdressers sometimes, all like robots, said the same thing!

And the absolute beauty, two years before henna, I fancied having a perm, no idea why now but..... anyway, they took a test strand and I got a call a day later saying that a perm would wreck my hair, so I never did it. Cue the henna, on my records it showed the perm info, the senior stylist said to me " your hair is strong enough now to have that perm if you still want".

I honestly had to stifle a massive laugh!

Oh and to AngelicDemise, in feb I bleach bathed my hair which is darket brown and henna ignored, to a med brown, did it twice to get evenness and go lighter, then added separate full strength Starks, and went bright red, hated it and went back to hendigo. My avatar and siggy show the state of my poor hair after tha damaging powers of hendigo!!
You are more than welcome to show your hairdresser these pics if you want. Henna has literally SAVED my hair!ii

MaryMarx
June 2nd, 2012, 02:16 AM
I really like your resembling (if that's the right word). :p

But really, that's so rude. If you had told them you were using some cone-stuff from a hairdresser they all would have rushed there to get it.
I just don't get how people can get offended by the use of... well, nature!

natt i nord
June 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM

Well, I guess that's the power of advertisements...

Luckily I didn't have such experiences yet. The worst thing my parents said about me hennaing was 'Could you please avoid the bath tub always getting red, too?' Uhm yes, I'd like to, but it seems our bath tub really likes the color... :o

When I told some of my friends in school, they said nothing except some curious questions which were not bad at all.

Allychan
June 2nd, 2012, 04:01 AM
Seems to me all those Indian women in India with lovely lush long hair must be doing something right? I seldom see an Indian lady with messed up tatty colour faded hair.
As for me, the only time I ever grew my hair to my waist was when I was using henna only as my colouring agent.
I believe hairdressers are taught the evils of henna because the hair colour industry wants them to believe it is 'bad ass' for your hair

PolarCathy
June 2nd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Last year I had a batch of homemade oil that had henna in it. And yes it colored my baby hairs reddish. I discarded the oil since there's nothing I dislike on me more than the henna red, LOL. But as far as I can remember, it also made my new growth super smooth.

To the rest of the story, LOL. Henna is NOT evil per se. I think the only evil thing is that it is red; if God really wanted to give us a perfect herbal conditioner, He should have made Henna colorless. (Yes I know about Cassia, that's not what I wanted to say.) So well it probably is evil :D But hair falling off, hahahahh, where do people hear all this nonsense? LOL. Pardon. ROFL.

Audrey Horne
June 2nd, 2012, 04:46 AM
I think the only evil thing is that it is red; if God really wanted to give us a perfect herbal conditioner, He should have made Henna colorless.
OMG I second that!

henné
June 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
It is because of the PPD and metallic salts. I've heard that here in Sweden some time ago there were a lot of folks with issues with henna dyes - their hair turning green, melting, what have ya. The problem is that folks didn't (and many still don't) understand that it was not the henna, but the metallic salts and PPD that were in the dyes that caused these issues and that if you get pure henna, there is no chance of that happening. It's just ignorance and hysterics.

I also had strange comments from my Swedish hairdresser. I went to her after I haven't colored my hair with henna for over a year and I haven't taken absolutely any care of my hair - I didn't even use conditioner. So it was a bit dry and frizzy, but still looked ok. I told her I was using henna and she said ... that's probably why your hair is dry. I protested telling her that henna was actually making my hair very soft, thick and shiny it's just that I haven't used it for a year and she obviously didn't believe me and told me it's better if I use a conventional color. :rolleyes:

Even when I came later with my hair colored with henna - all shiny and healthy - she still told me I shouldn't use it. I simply didn't have the energy to argue with her about this ... the misinformation goes deep. Too bad for people that would otherwise greatly benefit from henna. :(

lapushka
June 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM

They're not that wrong. Henna and sticking to it is great, beneficial for your hair, but switching up constantly between henna (and indigo) and chemical dyes is a general no-no. Something *could* happen. And to me it did happen. I once switched back and forth between henna/indigo and chemical dyes and I had a bad reaction when I went back to chemical dye for the upteenth time. My scalp got burned, some of my hair got chemically cut and some of it fell out in chunks. My light brown hair dye went pitch black (hair was way too porous and absorbed the dye too quickly). So yeah, these things *do* happen.

henné
June 2nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
They're not that wrong. Henna and sticking to it is great, beneficial for your hair, but switching up constantly between henna (and indigo) and chemical dyes is a general no-no. Something *could* happen. And to me it did happen. I once switched back and forth between henna/indigo and chemical dyes and I had a bad reaction when I went back to chemical dye for the upteenth time. My scalp got burned, some of my hair got chemically cut and some of it fell out in chunks. My light brown hair dye went pitch black (hair was way too porous and absorbed the dye too quickly). So yeah, these things *do* happen.

Were you using pure henna? What kind was it?

spidermom
June 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
I've heard that there are henna formulations out there with metallic salts that you can't dye over, so maybe that's where the horror comes from. (Oops, should have read all the comments BEFORE I commented.)

lapushka
June 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Were you using pure henna? What kind was it?

Hennaplus (http://www.hennaplus.nl/Catalog_Frenchtop/Information.asp?SKIN=HPHennaplus_1), boxed powder dyes, guaranteed free of metallic salts.

Tisiloves
June 2nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hennaplus (http://www.hennaplus.nl/Catalog_Frenchtop/Information.asp?SKIN=HPHennaplus_1), boxed powder dyes, guaranteed free of metallic salts.

It might not have had anything to do with the henna, it might just have been the chemical dyes and the henna was incidental (depending on the dyes, and how close they were together).

akilina
June 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
This is so funny because I am a hair dresser that uses henna!!
I think that a lot of lies have been spread because of "box dye henna" where it has other things and metallic salts. So I guess that is what most closed minded hair dressers assume that OMG using BAQ henna would be SO MUCH WORSEEEEE!!!! XD XD
I'm sorry that happened...I have gotten into arguments with other hair dressers about this alot. I just have to look away and not think about it because it makes me mad.
But everyone please stop bashing hair dressers! We aren't all evil and you know this. There are quite a few hair dressers on this site and we have to be pretty darn open minded to even be on this site :D

Amber_Maiden
June 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
hahaha!!!! That is too funny!!!

natural_shine
June 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM

Yup. True story. Happened to me too. If you use henna, you are stuck with it.

AnqeIicDemise
June 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
I think that a lot of lies have been spread because of "box dye henna" where it has other things and metallic salts. So I guess that is what most closed minded hair dressers assume that OMG using BAQ henna would be SO MUCH WORSEEEEE!!!! XD XD
I'm sorry that happened...I have gotten into arguments with other hair dressers about this alot. I just have to look away and not think about it because it makes me mad.
But everyone please stop bashing hair dressers! We aren't all evil and you know this. There are quite a few hair dressers on this site and we have to be pretty darn open minded to even be on this site :D

Hahaha. No, i'm not bashing designers. Just these two's lack of common sense. They have worked on my hennaed hair, commented on how amazingly healthy it is and refused to listen to the fact that I only ever used art quality henna. Since this is oil form there are no metallic salts. It wasn't to have colored my hair at all supposedly. Hell, I wish C would be open minded enough to help me henna.

RitaCeleste
June 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM

Yeah, I don't blame my hair dressers for much of my bad experiences. I did say, "Face framing layers" when my sides got hacked and that gap got cut in that isn't quiet on the side. My hair looked pretty much like the style I picked out. I can't help it if I have no taste! I have had horrible experiences in salons where I have not freaked out and cried like a baby because my hair ended up so, so short! (That happened at my regular salon after I needed to get a bad perm cut out in like 1989! They will cut me above bra strap only after some serious questions get asked about how bad I'll take it.) I just feel bad after a cut. Any cut. All cuts usually. Some of them have been great, picture perfect and I still want the hair back. Stylists aren't evil most of the time. (I remember this mullet I didn't particularly care for but my ex was there and he says I did ask for shorter on top. My bad, I looked very butch. ooops) Its just better if I stay home, really, for everyone.

akilina
June 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I don't blame my hair dressers for much of my bad experiences. I did say, "Face framing layers" when my sides got hacked and that gap got cut in that isn't quiet on the side. My hair looked pretty much like the style I picked out. I can't help it if I have no taste! I have had horrible experiences in salons where I have not freaked out and cried like a baby because my hair ended up so, so short! (That happened at my regular salon after I needed to get a bad perm cut out in like 1989! They will cut me above bra strap only after some serious questions get asked about how bad I'll take it.) I just feel bad after a cut. Any cut. All cuts usually. Some of them have been great, picture perfect and I still want the hair back. Stylists aren't evil most of the time. (I remember this mullet I didn't particularly care for but my ex was there and he says I did ask for shorter on top. My bad, I looked very butch. ooops) Its just better if I stay home, really, for everyone.
LOL :P I wish I could cut the whole LHCs hair. Everyone would be happy :) I'm the hair dresser who tries to convince people with beautiful long hair to NOT cut it off :D I definitely get bad hair envy touching so many different peoples hair because my hair sucks.

akilina
June 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hahaha. No, i'm not bashing designers. Just these two's lack of common sense. They have worked on my hennaed hair, commented on how amazingly healthy it is and refused to listen to the fact that I only ever used art quality henna. Since this is oil form there are no metallic salts. It wasn't to have colored my hair at all supposedly. Hell, I wish C would be open minded enough to help me henna.
I didn't mean you you...it just seems when people start talking about salon visits it goes down hill. It makes me sad! Like I said above..I wish I could cut all of the LHCs hair. Everyone would be super happy with their hair :D I have heard of some salons that actually offer henna services with BAQ henna. Sounds awesome to me to have someone do the tedious task for you but you'd be booked for hours at a time and probably miss out on $$$ some days. I love to spread the knowledge though. People tell me they love my color and I tell them I use henna :] Usually they are really interested. One girl though got all pi$$y though and said "OH well I dont trust ANY online sellers they probably just put a bunch of additives and metals in their henna and blahblahblah." I told her about it because she used chemical dyes to get a red color just like henna.
I did see a post above about how henna can go badly if you go back and forth on it too much...I'll have to remember this and try to just stick with one color for a long time.

RitaCeleste
June 2nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm looking into henna. I just moved and my address hasn't settled enough for me to order some yet. I used chemical red mostly but I would do black cherry and was planning to do brown. I really wanted blue but everyone was telling me it would fade to green and I'm too old for blue hair. So committing to henna is taking me some time. Its about the commitment to a color. I really like red a lot so since I don't want to color strip it, red it has stayed. I'm ready to try the henna. I have it all picked out, I just need to switch my address at the post office, switch it at my bank, inform the kids' insurance people I've moved, provide disability with the documents they need etc and then I can order my henna. Two weeks or so.

PolarCathy
June 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm looking into henna. I just moved and my address hasn't settled enough for me to order some yet. I used chemical red mostly but I would do black cherry and was planning to do brown. I really wanted blue but everyone was telling me it would fade to green and I'm too old for blue hair. So committing to henna is taking me some time. Its about the commitment to a color. I really like red a lot so since I don't want to color strip it, red it has stayed. I'm ready to try the henna. I have it all picked out, I just need to switch my address at the post office, switch it at my bank, inform the kids' insurance people I've moved, provide disability with the documents they need etc and then I can order my henna. Two weeks or so.

Poste Restante?

IvanaGil
June 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
So, recently I've been using the Vatika hair oil (the one in the green bottle) the last month. I've noticed that my hair is shinier, softer and wavier. I have also noticed a teeny bit of breakage (my stupid fault for being too lazy to wear it up and using dull paper scissors to S&D with while at work. Two things I'm no longer doing!) but nothing terrible.

I also noticed it was getting a bit redder, but I thought it was my imagination. DH asked me if I'd been doing something different to my hair and in the same breath said I should never stop because my tresses were breathtaking. (He just knows what to say to make me fall in love with him again. :D) He couldn't pin-point what exactly was different, just that something ... was.

So I had this exchange at work today:

Designer: hey, Demise, did you do something different to your hair?
M: No... not really. Why?
D: It looks different somehow. Did you cut it?
M: Hell no!
D: Haha.. that's right, you're the Rapunzel's cousin. :p But seriously.. what have you done?
M: I honestly don't know. Hubby asked me the same question.
D: He, Colorist, come here! Didn't Demise change something about her hair?
C: Yeah, and I'm angry. You had your hair colored by someone else, didn't you!
M: O.O No! I haven't had anyone dye it since January when you did it! -- speaking of which, its time to have the roots re-bleached again. I want it more purple this time.
C: Don't lie, its redder.
M: It is? -picks up a chunk of the underside.- Well, what do you know, it really is! -lightbulb- Oh! I think it might be the new oil I'm using. I was reading the ingredients yesterday and I can't believe I forgot since my LHC friends had mentioned it, it has henna in it. Maybe that's why its getting redder.

And then I swear, it was like I told them that I like to ingest gasoline while sodomizing a newborn baby. Their eyes bugged out, one of them covered her mouth and I was pulled aside to a quieter area.

D: Oh my god! You got to stop using that!
C: You're going to have to cut it all off.
D: I can clear my schedule for you.
C: I can't color your hair anymore. It'll destroy it.
M: What are you guys talking about?}

O... k..

Is it the coconut one? At my local Indian store there are three green bottles: coconut, cactus and olive.

FireFromWithin
June 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
I always get jealous reading about how people have used henna or cassia to make their hair super soft. I'd love to get those kind of results but I'm a natural blonde and I couldn't have bright red hair because it would look really wierd on me and even cassia is supposed to colour blonde hair :(

PolarCathy
June 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
I always get jealous reading about how people have used henna or cassia to make their hair super soft. I'd love to get those kind of results but I'm a natural blonde and I couldn't have bright red hair because it would look really wierd on me and even cassia is supposed to colour blonde hair :(

Yeah I said henna is evil. :cool:

PixxieStix
June 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Tehehehe, I love stories like this! I hope you got a chance to educate them a little about henna, as they clearly need it. I've had similar experiences. :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Is it the coconut one? At my local Indian store there are three green bottles: coconut, cactus and olive.

Yes, its the coconut one. I smell like macaroons and get hungry when I wear it. :D

henné
June 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, its the coconut one. I smell like macaroons and get hungry when I wear it. :D

I know this is a bit OTT, but what kind/brand are you using? All the brands I've seen had tons of mineral oil in them. Thanks!

brave
June 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
I know this is a bit OTT, but what kind/brand are you using? All the brands I've seen had tons of mineral oil in them. Thanks!

Also this! I looked it up on amazon and there are so many types!

AnqeIicDemise
June 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
Also this! I looked it up on amazon and there are so many types!

Its the Vatika by Dabur with the coconut oil. Its the one in the opaque green bottle, not the see through one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dabur-300ml-Vatika-Enriched-Coconut-Hair-10oz-Oil-XXL-BEST-PRICE-USA-/200678981598?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA% 252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D230730 882020%26ps%3D54#ht_1080wt_905

I found it in a small Indian store by where I live but its the same one. They do have the almond oil version which has MO. I personally like MO but I like to use this as a DT treatment before I wash my hair. Its not supposed to change your hair color at all so I don't know why mine is a bit. It isn't a huge difference, its just noticeably redder on the underside. I'll have to post pictures.

Mesmerise
June 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM

Well the hairdresser who freaked out when I told her I was using henna is actually a really good hairdresser and does great cuts! It's just... her education about henna was sorely lacking, as she seemed to think ALL henna had metallic salts in it (and didn't seem to believe me when I told her I got henna with NO metallic salts).

It is too bad that what hairdressers are taught is wrong in this regard!!

AnqeIicDemise
June 3rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Well the hairdresser who freaked out when I told her I was using henna is actually a really good hairdresser and does great cuts! It's just... her education about henna was sorely lacking, as she seemed to think ALL henna had metallic salts in it (and didn't seem to believe me when I told her I got henna with NO metallic salts).

It is too bad that what hairdressers are taught is wrong in this regard!!

That is indeed, quite upsetting. There are great alternatives out in this world that are quite healthy for our hair which some people can really benefit from. Not everybody has that super, thick, miraculous hair that can stand bleaching session after bleaching session.

and C is amazing with color, D amazing with hair. Its just.. some stuff they get taught about alternatives that's quite lacking. Which I find it odd considering the homeopathic remedies our skin and message therapists are pushing.

palaeoqueen
June 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Well this all make sense now. I've also been using the green Vatika and have noticed a distinct reddening of my hair. I thought it was just because the old bleach and dye was lifting and turning warm from the sun but it's probably the henna, argh! I'll have to ditch it and get some plain coconut oil a bit ahead of schedule. Oh well, you live and learn!

Rosetta
June 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
If you use henna, you are stuck with it.
Yeah, for me, THAT is the real evil of henna, nothing else.
It's so blastedly difficult to get rid of!! (Or, as some said, to switch between it and other kind of dyes.)

AnqeIicDemise
June 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Well this all make sense now. I've also been using the green Vatika and have noticed a distinct reddening of my hair. I thought it was just because the old bleach and dye was lifting and turning warm from the sun but it's probably the henna, argh! I'll have to ditch it and get some plain coconut oil a bit ahead of schedule. Oh well, you live and learn!

Yeah. I personally don't mind but if you do, might as well stop. I would agree that it was the sun was lifting dye and what have you but I live outside of Seattle. We've only had two weeks of sunshine and that was *before* I started using the oil. :cool:

ChelleyCredible
June 26th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I use the same Vatika and my hair doesnt have a red tinge to it. Hmmm odd. It does work wonders though. I love using it.

Changling
June 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I really like your resembling (if that's the right word). :p

But really, that's so rude. If you had told them you were using some cone-stuff from a hairdresser they all would have rushed there to get it.

OMG I have a funny story about this. For 7 years, starting when I was 11, we lived in a cabin in the woods with no electricity or running water. We were all freckled, strong, and lean from the work outside, and we smelled like woodsmoke. I loved it. The other parents at my little sisters' elementary school did NOT. Neither of my little sisters could have friends over because the other parents disapproved of the way we lived, saying "what are the children going to do for fun without CABLE???" And, my personal favorite: "Living that way just isn't NATURAL." XD lol a lot of people just don't even know what they are talking about!

Bambi
June 26th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Oh this might actually be exactly what I have been looking for! For maybe 6 months ago I dyed my hair at a salon to get my natural color(because I am tired of experimenting), which is brown with some reddish, copper undertones. It turns out that I love it and I have been thinking on how to actually get it more pronounced( to benefit my green-brown eyes) and this seems like a good option. My hair already loves coconut oil so I am definately going to give it a go.

meteor
June 26th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Hahah!

Oops, the same happened to me. I noticed my highlighted hair (gold-silver-ish) has steadily been developing some copper-like shade since I've been falling in love with Vatika hair oil. But I thought it couldn't be a lasting thing, partly because I was certain that the herbs concentration is very low in Vatika (after all, it's a white oil, almost exactly like coconut oil) and partly because the "henna" they use in Vatika is supposedly "cassia", which shouldn't give red colour. AngelicDemise, how often do you use it? I wonder, if I use it only monthly instead of weekly, should I be able to avoid the change in colour?

meteor
June 26th, 2012, 08:13 AM
If you had told them you were using some cone-stuff from a hairdresser they all would have rushed there to get it.
:) That's so true! Reminds me of how I was told "I LOVE your extensions!" Me: "No, I don't have any." The girl (looking suspicious): "Oh, really? Well, your hair would look so cute & modern with a layered short haircut!"
As long as it's fake / chemical / unnatural, people love it! ;)

Bambi
June 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM
:) That's so true! Reminds me of how I was told "I LOVE your extensions!" Me: "No, I don't have any." The girl (looking suspicious): "Oh, really? Well, your hair would look so cute & modern with a layered short haircut!"

That's really the truth...unfortunately.

Changling
June 26th, 2012, 08:46 AM

omg it's so true. Sometimes people irl compliment my hair color and ask what dye I use... then are disappointed that it's natural. Maybe because they can't get the same color?

Though I think that any hairdresser who is looking for a client is going to recommend a change, because they can provide that service and the maintenance for it. Like if you have extensions, they can help maintain/eventually remove or replace them, or if your hair is naturally long, they can cut it for you. But if you grow your hair out naturally, and don't color or trim or use heat and do your own updos...there is nothing you can pay a hairdresser to do!

palaeoqueen
June 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah. I personally don't mind but if you do, might as well stop. I would agree that it was the sun was lifting dye and what have you but I live outside of Seattle. We've only had two weeks of sunshine and that was *before* I started using the oil. :cool:

We don't get much sun here either which was pretty much why I decided it was the Vatika. The sun was just the only thing I could think of considering it is officially "summer" :lol: I did ditch it anyway and I think some of the red has actually faded.

AnqeIicDemise
June 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM
We don't get much sun here either which was pretty much why I decided it was the Vatika. The sun was just the only thing I could think of considering it is officially "summer" :lol: I did ditch it anyway and I think some of the red has actually faded.

I was using it about twice a week. Once after my Wed wash for just the ends/length then I did a DT on Sundays. I was having some icky dryness for some odd reason. I blame the weather, going from hot and muggy to cold and rainy within hours.

I liked the red so much I slapped some MP over it. :D

MiamiPineapple
June 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
As if I needed another reason not to listen to 99% of hairdressers...

Bambi
June 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I was using it about twice a week. Once after my Wed wash for just the ends/length then I did a DT on Sundays. I was having some icky dryness for some odd reason. I blame the weather, going from hot and muggy to cold and rainy within hours.

I liked the red so much I slapped some MP over it. :D

What kind of red is it if you not mind me asking:D?

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 06:56 AM
hair melting...that's hilarious...he, he ;)

RileyJane
June 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
woww, thats pretty crazy :p and i agree that some stylists do have a conspiracy theory going on about coloring and cuts, mainly bc my friend who is also trying to grow her hair out long and healthy ( ive tried giving her tips form her) goes to the hair salon every 5 weeks and gets god know what done to it. i know she goes in there with good intentions, but after her brunette hair she had bleach blond on top then red on bottom....5 weeks later.... more brown and blonde on top with purple everywhere.....5 weeks later.... black. and every 2 weeks we run into her stylist who claims she needs about a 4 inch chop after she already cut off 5 inches :rolleyes: THAT is why i never listen to anyone but my mother ( hippie from the 70s who always has longg flowing hair) or this website :)

Bambi
June 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM
OT but Kitekats, your hair looks lovely!

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I would not color over henna colored hair. Henna is known to block the uptake of other products, eventually including conditioner. It takes a while for this outcome to occur, but it eventually does occur with extended use over time, such as 5 or more years of continual use of henna. Do your homework before you do anything to be sure of the outcome and result, or potential problems you might encounter. All hairdressers are trained about that henna is not good as a hair dye on hair. It may not be the popular news that people want to hear, but I've seen what henna can do, and lemme tell ya, it ain't pretty. And it's very upsetting to those who've spent a long time trying to get their hair in some kind of order....

I know I don't hold a popular opinion but I just hate for things to go haywire.....it's this kind of detail that the hairdressers don't share. The why. What's the problem, exactly?.....

I'm sure otherwise you'll be fine since you haven't used this recent product a long time.

heidi w.

kitekats
August 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
OT but Kitekats, your hair looks lovely!
Thank you:)

katfemme89
August 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Wow, someone should've told my hair that. I henna'd and then dyed, and then dyed, and then bleached, and then dyed. Yeah it got damaged but it didn't fall out. Some hairdressers are ignorant, no joke. Just like when the hair dresser (back when I used to have short hair) told me that pantene is "SOOOO BAD FOR YOUR HAIR!!! IT HAS SILICONE IN IT!!!" Yeah so does that shine spray you're putting on my hair, ya dumb broad. lol! Some people are like parrots, they hear something once and they keep repeating it to everyone else even though they don't know what it means.

bunnylake
August 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
This reminds me of something that happened in my esthetics class (esthetics is skin care therapy, for those who don't know). There were a lot of hair dressers in my class, and one day the subject of henna came up. One girl said "HENNA IS SO BAD FOR YOUR HAAAIR!!" and when I asked her why, she said "I don't know. I just know it's bad."
Um ok!?
And then another girl, also a hair dresser, told me she'd dye my hair for me with a synthetic dye, and I shouldn't ruin my hair with henna.

Well, since then I've hennaed twice and my hair is quite noticeably shinier, thicker, and stronger. I cannot imagine ever wanting to return to synthetic dye. So poo on those anti-henna hair dressers!
My sister is a hair dresser and she's educated about the benefits of pure henna, as well as other alternative hair care methods that are popular on this site. Thanks to her long haired hippie sister, teehee.

bunnylake
August 30th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just like when the hair dresser (back when I used to have short hair) told me that pantene is "SOOOO BAD FOR YOUR HAIR!!! IT HAS SILICONE IN IT!!!" Yeah so does that shine spray you're putting on my hair, ya dumb broad. lol!

I have yet to find an answer to the Evil Pantene question! No one seems to know WHY Pantene is ~Satan~. It has the same ingredients as a zillion other brands! I'm just like, what-ever man.

katfemme89
August 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I have yet to find an answer to the Evil Pantene question! No one seems to know WHY Pantene is ~Satan~. It has the same ingredients as a zillion other brands! I'm just like, what-ever man.

I know, right?!?! I don't like being rude to people but I just feel like telling them, "you bleach, strip, dye, shave, razor, blow fry, and flat iron people's hair to a crisp all day, and you're telling me PANTENE is bad? Get a clue!"

spidermom
August 30th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I've been told by a former hairdresser that Pantene has a higher percentage of strong, cheap detergent compared to many other brands. It's hard to verify; most ingredient lists don't give actual percentages.

AnqeIicDemise
September 12th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Eh, my mom swears I'm going to get a moldy scalp an loose hair in chunks because I oil my hair. In the same breath she compliments me on how long its gotten and how healthy it is.

I don't know if my mother envisions me sitting in the tub dunking canola oil from a gallon container and call that a day.. or .. I don't know. I guess that's it. xD

AnqeIicDemise
September 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I would not color over henna colored hair. Henna is known to block the uptake of other products, eventually including conditioner. It takes a while for this outcome to occur, but it eventually does occur with extended use over time, such as 5 or more years of continual use of henna. Do your homework before you do anything to be sure of the outcome and result, or potential problems you might encounter. All hairdressers are trained about that henna is not good as a hair dye on hair. It may not be the popular news that people want to hear, but I've seen what henna can do, and lemme tell ya, it ain't pretty. And it's very upsetting to those who've spent a long time trying to get their hair in some kind of order....

I know I don't hold a popular opinion but I just hate for things to go haywire.....it's this kind of detail that the hairdressers don't share. The why. What's the problem, exactly?.....

I'm sure otherwise you'll be fine since you haven't used this recent product a long time.

heidi w.

If I was told 'why' I'd be okay with it. But for the most part, stylists don't know the reason why and they think its because of the metalic salts or whatever.

And DH has foribidden me from using Henna in my hair. He says it looks like baby poo, feels like baby poo and it stinks like baby poo.

I think he only has baby poo in the brain. Either way, I can't apply it without his help and since he refuses...

melusine963
September 12th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I've never used henna so I can't really talk, but it seems mind-boggling how many misconceptions there are out there. At least the LHC has tought me how to refute such claims if I ever come across them.

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM
.....snipped... Really, Demise, we thought you'd know better since you're such an avid long-hair lover.. but gosh.. henna is going to melt your hair off. Its going to fall out in chunks if you dye over it.

O... k..

hahahahahah I've had my hair fall off in chunks after using chemical hair dye but never henna bahahahahah

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM

oh these are making me laugh! I guess not everyone researches the crap out of things like I do before doing something. lol

AnqeIicDemise
September 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM
oh these are making me laugh! I guess not everyone researches the crap out of things like I do before doing something. lol

I know!

I'm hair obsessed. I'm nail obsessed. I love these things and they're permanently attached to my body. You bet your keister I'll be researching before I do anything that'll disfigure me or make me uncomfortable in my own skin.