PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hair Glitter? Shimmer?

GoldberryHair
June 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
So I'm looking for some kind of hair glitter/shimmery spray to give my hair a little extra "sparkle" every now and then...

I know I coud just use actual glitter but I don't think that'd be very hair friendly (not to mention messy)

I know Herbal Essences used to have one, and I believe it was called Shimmer Spray, but when I picked it up at Meijer today and tried it at home, there was no sparkle, it was just like hair spray -_-'' I'm thinking it changed from the new formula :(

Suggestions?!

xoxo

Sundial
June 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
I bought some from Sephora (I think it was their in-house brand of glitter). They come in gold or silver. DH wanted me to get them but I'm iffy about spraying stuff on my hair, so I just bought them and stuck them in a corner of the house :D those are meant for hair and body, but since I've never used mine, I'm not sure how they'll turn out. Perhaps I'll do a strand test later and update you if you're interested

Dovetail
June 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I wonder if you could make some sort of paste? with micro glitter, and conditioner or oil and maybe use a color similar to your hair color? I'm intrested to know! Since I'd love to do something for nights out in the summer.

ravenreed
June 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Around Halloween every year they have a spray on glitter available. I think Sally's carries them too. They work pretty well but the smell is too much for me.

akilina
June 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM
The brand Enjoy has a great spray called "shine spray" It really does make your hair sparkle and very shiny. Also Sebastian has a whole line of shine products called "Flaunt" the Trilliant spray literally has little specks of shimmer in it. Chi Enviro also has a spray shine and a serum with little tiny shimmers in them too.
These products may cost a little more but you wouldn't have to use hardly any to get the desired shine. In my experience just one pump of the spray does the trick. It would probably last me a year. Also the quality of them is much greater than the super sticky drying color sprays they sell around halloween.
But...if you are on a budget you could find something at sallys in the temporary crazy colors section..who knows maybe it would work great for you. I know they have em.
Someone mentioned mixing! That may be a great idea...youd need a very very fine shimmery glitter and some sort of oil or serum or whatever feels light on your hair so you could get it close to the root without feeling oily or greasy

luxepiggy
June 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM
Alterna makes a seasonal shimmer spray for summertime: http://www.sephora.com/summer-hair-sun-kissed-mist-P289249?skuId=1432012

It even has UV protection (^(oo)^)v

GoldberryHair
June 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM
I bought some from Sephora (I think it was their in-house brand of glitter). They come in gold or silver. DH wanted me to get them but I'm iffy about spraying stuff on my hair, so I just bought them and stuck them in a corner of the house :D those are meant for hair and body, but since I've never used mine, I'm not sure how they'll turn out. Perhaps I'll do a strand test later and update you if you're interested
YES! I would love to know how it turns out :)

Tisiloves
June 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM
If you get very fine body glitter/shimmer and gently brush it on to hair that has been previously stickified (my friend used hairspray, but I bet light oil or AVG would work as well) with a blush/kabuki brush it works pretty well. Best done on updos.

Aeltt
June 2nd, 2012, 02:37 AM
There Nuxe's huile prodigieuse Or (http://www.drskinspa.com/Nuxe-Huile-Prodigieuse-Or-Dry-Oil-Golden-Shimmer-3.3oz.aspx?zmam=8577858&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=1073) too.
I used to buy it in the summer to use after sunbathing. I stopped because of the price (and i discovered cheaper oils) but i loved it, and the smell too.

Jing
June 2nd, 2012, 02:49 AM
If you get very fine body glitter/shimmer and gently brush it on to hair that has been previously stickified (my friend used hairspray, but I bet light oil or AVG would work as well) with a blush/kabuki brush it works pretty well. Best done on updos.

The Body Shop has (had? It might have been a Christmas special) a very fine glitter powder in gold meant for the face/body that could work for this. It came in a manual spray bottle with one of those "baloons" you squeeze to get a puff of the contents (go vague and confusing explanaitons!), so you wouldn't need a brush. Would only work on blonde hair, though, because there is non-glittery gold powder in there, too.

Long_hair_bear
June 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Have you ever considered hair tinsel? It's not a spray like you want, but it adds sparkle. I have some in purple and I think piggy has blue.

http://www.hairtinsel.net/

Sundial
June 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
Ok! I tested out the hair/body spray, but I sprayed them on paper and not my hair :p I'm expecting and I don't want to be breathing in those fumes so I masked up and did it on paper.

I think you'll probably like the silver one better! The glitter for both silver and gold are really fine but for some reason, the gold glitter spray came out in a yellow mist. The medium that the glitter is mixed in is a bright yellow. It may blend with your hair color, but I doubt the gold glitter will be prominent.

It really smells like hairspray though :puke: everything seems to set my nose off these days so you may have to take this with a pinch of salt.

Like Long_hair_bear said, you could think about hair tinsel :) I have those too and they're really fun! I get compliments on them too.

I did try the glitter body lotion that The Body Shop also carries. One poster mentioned the spray. I do believe they are only available during Christmas. While I didn't try the spray, I really liked the lotion! The glitter was more like a gold shimmer, very subtle and nice. It rubbed off on DH's clothes too though :o

luxepiggy
June 2nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
Ohh how could I forget about hair tinsel! Best sparkles ever. It's like sparkly highlights! (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/curlytinsel.jpg

ETA: I get mine from http://www.hairflairs.com/content/buy-pro-hair-tinsel

GoldberryHair
June 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ok! I tested out the hair/body spray, but I sprayed them on paper and not my hair :p I'm expecting and I don't want to be breathing in those fumes so I masked up and did it on paper.

I think you'll probably like the silver one better! The glitter for both silver and gold are really fine but for some reason, the gold glitter spray came out in a yellow mist. The medium that the glitter is mixed in is a bright yellow. It may blend with your hair color, but I doubt the gold glitter will be prominent.

It really smells like hairspray though :puke: everything seems to set my nose off these days so you may have to take this with a pinch of salt.

Like Long_hair_bear said, you could think about hair tinsel :) I have those too and they're really fun! I get compliments on them too.

I did try the glitter body lotion that The Body Shop also carries. One poster mentioned the spray. I do believe they are only available during Christmas. While I didn't try the spray, I really liked the lotion! The glitter was more like a gold shimmer, very subtle and nice. It rubbed off on DH's clothes too though :o

Thanks for much for the trial! I'll have to stop in Sephora and see what they have :)

Ohh how could I forget about hair tinsel! Best sparkles ever. It's like sparkly highlights! (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/curlytinsel.jpg

ETA: I get mine from http://www.hairflairs.com/content/buy-pro-hair-tinsel

Those look beautiful, I hate ordering, I'd rather go to a store to buy it but oh well I'll have to see if they have some long enough for my TBL hair :0)

THANKS EVERYONE :)