PDA

View Full Version : Constant Hair Color Envy!

misspurdy06
June 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Doesn't matter the color. For some reason if I see someone with a beautiful color I think about dyeing my hair that color.

I have to constantly tell myself; I only want the color because it happens to look good on the person it's on.

Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

red-again
June 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
I do or should I say say I did, not anymore, have hopefully learnt my lesson now!

I saw colours though and didn't talk myself out of doing it! Then realised it didn't suit me, made me look older etc, etc! You at least don't do it!

Neneka
June 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
I am tempted to bleach every time I see someone with healthy blonde hair. I fear that I actually do that some day. I am sometimes seriously considering it even though I know it would destroy my dreams of long hair. It would also be very difficult to get all the red out of my hair... It's Directions but it seems pretty permanent on me.

Indigostreams
June 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM
I am the exact same way! Although I don't ever want black hair, because I know it would make me look like a corpse. But I know what you mean. I think that's why I'm never satisfied with my hair color, because I'm always seeing a new person who inspires me.

afu
June 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM
I am tempted to bleach every time I see someone with healthy blonde hair. I fear that I actually do that some day. I am sometimes seriously considering it even though I know it would destroy my dreams of long hair. It would also be very difficult to get all the red out of my hair... It's Directions but it seems pretty permanent on me.

If done right bleach doesn't have to mean giving up on dreams of long hair, there are quite a few LHC members with very long bleach blonde hair. I have bleach highlights and am just past bsl which isn't long given LHC standards but there are people here who have gone classic with bleach I think.

Personally my colour envy does to henna, i don't think it would right on me though

DarkCurls
June 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Tell me about it... I used to want very black hair (I have faraway Asian origins), and then I switched to wanting reddish tones to my medium/dark brown hair (essentially I want auburn) because in the summer I have reddish highlights and I love them. Even though my mother would totally have let me, I never went ahead with it because I'd never chemically dye my hair -- I'm too afraid of damage. :p

Now I've joined this site, I'm going green with envy over all the henna-heads and getting very tempted. I think I will try it, someday -- after high school (which is only a year from now).

Tia2010
June 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes!

Be it blond or a vivid bright pink...I want it. I know I can not pull off Pink hair and I don't want to bleach my hair...but yet, I WANT IT :D Thankfully I always talk myself down from the color my hair ledge ;)

MintChocChip
June 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM
All the time! This seems to happen to me with pactically every colour except my own, but in particular it happens with natural redheads. There's just something so beautiful about red hair I think. I always have to remind myself not to reach for the hair dye and accept my natural colour :D

lapushka
June 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM
I used to be really fickle like that. Changed my mind about every other second. And I had it, not just with hair color, but with the cut and style of the hair, IRL, and in movies.

HintOfMint
June 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Tell me about it... I used to want very black hair (I have faraway Asian origins), and then I switched to wanting reddish tones to my medium/dark brown hair (essentially I want auburn) because in the summer I have reddish highlights and I love them. Even though my mother would totally have let me, I never went ahead with it because I'd never chemically dye my hair -- I'm too afraid of damage. :p

Now I've joined this site, I'm going green with envy over all the henna-heads and getting very tempted. I think I will try it, someday -- after high school (which is only a year from now).

Your hair is dark enough that henna would give your hair a red glow in the sun. It will be even more pronounced if you layer it over already sun lightened hair after the summer. Henna on dark hair is pretty subtle in that way so it's less risky.

Pixie0763
June 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM
I went through years of coloring my hair out of boredom & to cover greys. No matter what shade I tried, I have so much red undertone to my hair, it always faded very brassy, orange, not a pretty red. So now I embrace my natural color & all it's sparkles! :)

P.S. I really need a new picture in bright sun light to show off my true color. :o

ladylowtide
June 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM
Only every day of my pre-lhc life. And even then I still get serious color envy, but now I have learned self-control (a say that while having a tab up with the lhc honey lightening thread...).

In the past I have dyed my hair the following colors on a whim:
-light brown
-golden blonde
-platinum
-half copper half brown
-full copper
-dark brown with platinum streak
-Red
-RED
-a variety of pinks
-soft black
-blue black
-blondette

No wonder it looked damaged :D

akilina
June 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
Oh yes. This is part of the reason I've gone back and forth from black to blond for the past 6 years. I am done doing it for now I think. Well, I know. I had super white blond hair last summer but I had a sick urge to go black and I was impulsive and bought damaging box dye from walmart. I couldn't just wait a week or so to go into the city where they had a Cosmo Prof and I could have just got my usual dye that is much less damaging. I really should not have done that and I am still paying for it. Boxed dyes have a high vol of developer...way way higher than I would ever need and it just blew my hair to pieces. Since then I started using henna so there is no way I will try to bleach out this henna.
Sometimes I get a horrible urge and I will bleach a big peekaboo chunk though and put a fun color on it.

julierockhead
June 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Serious color envy for years, always red hair. I was too nervous to dye it though, because it would be such a big change from my natural blonette, so I covered greys with various combinations of light brown and highlights. I finally went red with henna though, and I am so glad!

GlennaGirl
June 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
I do. It looks like you're a natural tawny or blonette? I am too. I find that many tawnies feel this way. It could be because we have a color people can't quite describe -- it's not blonde, it's not brunette, it's not red, it's not auburn, it's not black -- and which usually seems to get colored one way or another.

My pics are hendigo, in case you're wondering where the tawny I'm talking about is! :p

SnowWhite
June 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
Yes I've got the same thing. I want to henna it so badly, or dye it blonde but I know I will regret it! I'll be too lazy to do touch ups etc...
So I try to take my pride in the fact that I've got my virgin hair color and I don't have the negative side effects of dye and the extra care, time and money(!) it needs.

I'm going for shiny, healthy hair and now that's my envy :D

MegaMystery
June 1st, 2012, 02:32 PM
I used to have it all the time. I went from my natural color to blonde, to black and back again, it was horrible! Though i'm still convinced the highlights looked pretty good (and even natural??) on me, i'm a henna/indigohead now, but it's fairly close to my real haircolor. I only do glosses now, just to keep the shine and a little depth in the color. I do find that my natural color (light/medium brown) suits me best :)

LaFlor
June 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
I change my mind just about everyday about what color I want my hair to be. One I want black hair, the next day I want bleached blonde hair, then the next I want henna red! I just am so envious of other hair colors!

DarkCurls
June 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Your hair is dark enough that henna would give your hair a red glow in the sun. It will be even more pronounced if you layer it over already sun lightened hair after the summer. Henna on dark hair is pretty subtle in that way so it's less risky.

Argh. What, are you trying to make me give in? :D I want to henna badly enough already.
*resists*

I like this thread already. ^^

lundmir
June 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM
Agh, all the time. I used to dye my hair every color I fancied! Now I change it about every 6 months, between red and black. I'm happy I discovered Manic Panic...

battles
June 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
I have this problem. :p I'm blonette naturally, my love right now is soft black hair. So tempted, but I know it would look so wrong with my eyebrows.

Tisiloves
June 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
I have this problem. :p I'm blonette naturally, my love right now is soft black hair. So tempted, but I know it would look so wrong with my eyebrows.

That's why there are brow pencils. My natural hair/eyebrow combo is appaling.

EbonyCurls
June 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM
I used to want naturally black hair with a passion. Until I saw an overexposed photo of myself in which my hair looked black which made my skin look sickly yellow. I've grown to adore my dark mud-colored curls

door72067
June 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
red gets me every. single. time.

I really miss being red but it was so damaging

I did consider henna (which is what brought me to LHC in the first place) but I haven't been able to talk myself into the Commitment yet (and at this point, most likely wont as I am growing out and going natural)

GlennaGirl
June 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
That's why there are brow pencils. My natural hair/eyebrow combo is appaling.

Mine is a little weird because my eyebrows are very very dark (and naturally, I mean uncolored, my hair isn't).

MonicaJean
June 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've sabotaged myself by dying my hair dark brown. I love the way it shines and I love the mysterious look that dark hair brings. However, after having it for a few months I always realize that it just doesn't work with my naturally super fair skin and blonde hair. I have very light eyebrows and eyelashes which have to be constantly tinted/filled in and full face of makeup on. :( Bummer! Then I always have to bleach to get it out.

AspenSong
June 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
I go through LARGE spurts of this. Usually it's one of two colors...A lovely black (which I've done on my hair and makes me look like a corpse), and the awesome, brilliant deep purple/red henna and henndigo colors I see on our fellow LHC forum'ers! Everytime I look through a henna thread etc, I start itching REALLY bad for the awesome red colors I see. Alas, I know they would not look good on me.....

Five of Five
June 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'm often tempted to try brown or red hair, though I am so risk averse I don't think I could ever go through with it. It doesn't help when blondes such as Kate Winslet and Chirstina Hendricks look so stunning with darker hair!

A lot of it is also the steretypes put upon women based upon their hair colour, as well as the whole blondes vs. brunettes argument that some people are so fond of perpetuating. I have never really felt 'blonde' on the inside, which is rather silly since it is just a colour.

Micayla47
June 2nd, 2012, 12:41 AM
i have the same "envy" but with bangs. whenever i see someone with nice hair and bangs i immediately want them. 1/2 the time i get the scissors out and do it. i always like them for a little while and then hate them and have to wait six months for them to grow out. eventually i see someone with nice bangs and the cycle starts all over!! i think i need to invest in some really good clip in bangs.

Mesmerise
June 2nd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Ahh yes, I know how that feels! Now, when I feel it I look at a chunk of my hair (particularly outside in the sun) and I love it! It helps when I see pretty blonde, or black hair... ;). I am lucky I like red because henna is easier than henndigo, and the regrowth isn't sooo bad (except for the grays, and they'd be bad with anything except blonde).

I would probably go blonde except I know how damaging it is for my hair, while henna doesn't damage it at all.

battle_angel
June 2nd, 2012, 01:27 AM
I understand perfectly what you ladies are saying! My natural color is medium brown and where I live it seems to be the most common hair color, even before black. That means I always found it very boring and me being an artist I had a problem with boring ... :P

So when I was younger I used to change my color all the time, from bottle blonde to red to violet to black to any shade in between. Now, as I have continued my formation as a graphic designer and learned so much more about the delicate science of color combination and color palettes(both in theory and in practice), it's very obvious that someone else's amazing hair color would not look so great against my skin+eye color(while my natural hair color does) and that pretty much gets me over color envy :D

Also, I've learned to change my looks and my modes of self-expression via make-up, clothes and hairstyles that I'm not bored anymore - the creative energy can be geared towards other things than hair! And the hair can grow longer and healthier in the process.

Just something you may want to think about!

Happy growing everyone! ^_^
-Laetitia

Bagginslover
June 2nd, 2012, 02:33 AM
My envy has always been for redheads. Even as a small child I wanted ginger hair! I have the genetics for it from my grandfather, but my genes from the other side killed it :(

I henna now. I don't have the ginger Ive always dreamed of-my hair is too dark, but I do have a gorgeous auburn that I can't ever imagine wanting to give up!

wendylai
June 2nd, 2012, 03:39 AM
Great thread!

I feel constant urge to go blonde. I'm medium brown now, and I don't think my hair could take the bleach. I've had blondish hair, done, albeit.. in thailand, which I would strongly advice against anyone trying :) The bleaching was done really harshly and although I had bsl lenght hair then too it definitely left it's mark.

But then when I look at some incredible bottle blondes here or read avrilons blog... arrgghh !!

Well.. I've decided for now I will try to grow my natural hair to waist, and when I've reached that goal, or start to get greys (that could take like.. over 30 years as my mum is 65 and still hasnt got them) I will reconsider.

Amber_Maiden
June 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Oh yes- I'm envious of the people with dyed fire engine red hair... like Ariel red hair. I want it so bad, but won't do it.

Tisiloves
June 2nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Oh yes- I'm envious of the people with dyed fire engine red hair... like Ariel red hair. I want it so bad, but won't do it.

I keep looking at what directions shade I could do over my henna to give me bright red.

Ticky
June 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I, too, am envious of people with red hair. Any shade of red, pretty much. Especially the darker, purplish red. I am thinking of trying to find a cheap semi-permanent dye that will look good and eventually wash out completely.

RobieFlakes
June 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Im very susceptible to envy. Grown out from henna recently and I think my natural shade suits me best.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
I see hair colors that I like and admire them, but I don't get the desire to have the same color for myself. I did when I was much younger, though. I wanted pale blonde hair, for example, not my natural mid-range golden blonde, although I can't remember anybody I had seen that I was trying to imitate.. I also tried to get red a few times. I thought it would be more exciting.

aspartame gram
June 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Oh yes, always! I love how dark hair looks on some people and wished for that sultry look. It is very mysterious. Then, I sometimes want platinum short hair like I used to have. My natural color is that tawny color--not quite blonde but not quite brown. It doesn't help that I just had a haircut that I abhor! The stylist chopped off a lot (used to be down my back, now I'm at shoulder) and she added too many layers. Ah well, back to the growing/drawing board.

long&blonde
June 2nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
OMG yes. And I used to follow thru on it! I work a 4 day work week, Fridays off, for the longest i'd watch movies Fridays;admire someones hair color; I was dying my hair, usually Nice and Easy, but others too, l'oreal, 2 manic panic attempts;EVERY Friday!
This was probably: 1994. My hair was a tinch past BSL.
I had a running joke with a guy ready to retire in the office;he'd come in and make a trip to my cube purposely to see my hair: every Monday.
Then he'd pretend a heart attack & tell me I needed to warn the office what color would come next: he was an Old man & couldn't handle all the shocks.
Amazingly,even with heat and all the dye, I still loved my hair.
I quit the big weekly changes after a work incident: I was walking down a hall with the head secretary,quiet type.
A supervisor, normally light blonde,conservative,came in,wearing a flame red wig.
This quiet secretary goes "has she just lost her mind?"
I hate when other people make negative comments, but I did see the shock value, when someone else did it.
I didn't dye my hair black,brown,red,blonde, weekly, ever after.
I've dyed my hair every shade,and back again:thanks to stars or magazine photos.
I hate being hooked on salon dye now. Take a salon a photo of a shade. "We can't do that". "We could work on easing into something close to that."
When you've dyed your hair since 15,and you're 57? You just feel like telling them "I'll show ya the platinum you can't do on my hair,I'll be back in 2 hours."
Lol. My hair is so grateful I found LHC.

nobunny
June 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
i've actually been very good at resisting impulses to dye my hair, esp. since i have spent years being a bleach blonde with good success at keeping it healthy, shiny and full. however recently i've been so dissatisfied with everything in my life that i ended up dying my hair with wella's semi perm black. it looks great and some people claim they like it even better, but i already have nostalgia/longings to be bleach blonde again. i'm really having fun with the black and standing out a little less in the crowd, but i hope that i can eventually go back someday, so i'm trying to use deposit only and an occasional semi-perm when my roots get a little too grown. the deposit only definitely rinses out much faster than semi-perm for me.

also would appreciate any personal tips for maintaining a healthy black dye or more dye recommendations. i am not really sold on henndigo because i really don't have a lot of time and it sounds even more permanent. still not sure if i should've used permanent black dye if i want to try and get it out someday.

also did you need more protein treatments with black hair? i can't tell if that's what my hair needs as sometimes it gets a little velcro-y and an all-night SMT doesn't really budge it. clarifying helps but it doesn't solve it.

nobunny
June 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
i've actually been very good at resisting impulses to change dyes, esp. since i have spent years being a bleach blonde with good success at keeping it healthy, shiny and full. however recently i've been so dissatisfied with everything in my life that i ended up dying my hair with wella's semi perm black. it looks great and some people claim they like it even better, but i already have nostalgia/longings to be bleach blonde again. i'm really having fun with the black and standing out a little less in the crowd, but i hope that i can eventually go back someday, so i'm trying to use deposit only and an occasional semi-perm when my roots get a little too grown. the deposit only definitely rinses out much faster than semi-perm for me.

so! i'd appreciate any personal tips for maintaining a healthy black dye or more dye recommendations. i am not really sold on henndigo because i really don't have a lot of time and it sounds even more permanent. still not sure if i should've used permanent black dye if i want to try and get it out someday.

also did you need more protein treatments with black hair? i can't tell if that's what my hair needs as sometimes it gets a little velcro-y and an all-night SMT doesn't really budge it. clarifying helps but it doesn't solve it.

jacqueline101
June 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
I used to buy box dies and do my own hair. I liked to change mine as soon as the other color grew out.

MiamiPineapple
June 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Yes I used to be the same way...until I dyed it black...now there is no turning back!

MiamiPineapple
June 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
i've actually been very good at resisting impulses to dye my hair, esp. since i have spent years being a bleach blonde with good success at keeping it healthy, shiny and full. however recently i've been so dissatisfied with everything in my life that i ended up dying my hair with wella's semi perm black. it looks great and some people claim they like it even better, but i already have nostalgia/longings to be bleach blonde again. i'm really having fun with the black and standing out a little less in the crowd, but i hope that i can eventually go back someday, so i'm trying to use deposit only and an occasional semi-perm when my roots get a little too grown. the deposit only definitely rinses out much faster than semi-perm for me.

also would appreciate any personal tips for maintaining a healthy black dye or more dye recommendations. i am not really sold on henndigo because i really don't have a lot of time and it sounds even more permanent. still not sure if i should've used permanent black dye if i want to try and get it out someday.

i've actually been very good at resisting impulses to change dyes, esp. since i have spent years being a bleach blonde with good success at keeping it healthy, shiny and full. however recently i've been so dissatisfied with everything in my life that i ended up dying my hair with wella's semi perm black. it looks great and some people claim they like it even better, but i already have nostalgia/longings to be bleach blonde again. i'm really having fun with the black and standing out a little less in the crowd, but i hope that i can eventually go back someday, so i'm trying to use deposit only and an occasional semi-perm when my roots get a little too grown. the deposit only definitely rinses out much faster than semi-perm for me.

so! i'd appreciate any personal tips for maintaining a healthy black dye or more dye recommendations. i am not really sold on henndigo because i really don't have a lot of time and it sounds even more permanent. still not sure if i should've used permanent black dye if i want to try and get it out someday.

There is really no way to get black dye out. Take it from someone who tried and ruined their hair. You may be able to lighten it a little over time but bleach blonde is really out of the question unless you want your hair to be a pile a mush.

Black is a very permanant decision. I would suggest embracing your hair and just learning to love the color. I too was also platinum blonde. It's true what they say, blondes do have more fun:p Black is fun too, just in a different way.

Long_hair_bear
June 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
I miss my purple, but to have it, I have to bleach, so I tell myself, you want long hair! No bleach!

tweetylonghair
June 2nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ok I so undrstand this.. I was thinking last 2 weeks not to color again..BUT some friends came over and in the excited moment of coloring there hair and my kids with some punky temp color .. I bit the bullet and put in some solid black....in front and the sides.. I am liking it... and I know it will be just slow growing it out and living with it but Im cool with it.....

nobunny
June 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
There is really no way to get black dye out. Take it from someone who tried and ruined their hair. You may be able to lighten it a little over time but bleach blonde is really out of the question unless you want your hair to be a pile a mush.

Black is a very permanant decision. I would suggest embracing your hair and just learning to love the color. I too was also platinum blonde. It's true what they say, blondes do have more fun:p Black is fun too, just in a different way.

yea i had planned on being willing to do an undershave if i wanted to try and bleach it out. i'm actually totally down for a little less fun in my life so i guess i made a good choice! :D

EbonyCurls
June 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I'm so proud of myself. I resisted the urge to change my color...for now. I was gungho ready to start lightening my hair with lemon juice to create an ombre effect on my curls. Though I think it would look good I want to stick to my vow that if anyone asks me how I got my hair this color I can truthfully answer LIFE AND SUNSHINE. :p

GlennaGirl
June 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I hendigoed my roots. :) I just can't seem to resist the dark side. :p

Vampyria
June 7th, 2012, 05:39 AM
I have it but mostly for red hair. I'm growing out red box dye and when I see all the henna-heads with beautiful (I like mostly orange) shades here, I get the urge to use henna every time. The only thing stopping me, is that I think my natural color is to dark to get the orange by hennaing.

I had orange hair before and I loved it, but keeping it would demand constant lightening. :( And if I had red/orange hair I would probably crave for natural brown color. ;) I just can't win here.:p

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 06:14 AM
This is the phenomenon that nearly destroyed my hair! Sometimes, I would dye a different colour twice in one week, because I couldnt decide 'Who I wanted to look like':rolleyes:
I make myself cringe saying that, but its true!:o

Rosetta
June 7th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Doesn't matter the color. For some reason if I see someone with a beautiful color I think about dyeing my hair that color.

I have to constantly tell myself; I only want the color because it happens to look good on the person it's on.

Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?
Me, though in my case it's more like I see a lovely colour on a box of dye, and want to dye my hair that colour :o Though seeing someone with hennaed hair often has that effect, too (especially as I used to henna for decades myself)...

JuniperBerry
June 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM