PDA

View Full Version : Young and Silver??

yrrebwartsymssi
July 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I was finger combing my hair and out came a shed silver hair... I knew it was mine because the bottom half of is was light brown (from box color last year). Funny thing is my son has a little silver strand of hair on the side of his head. He is 3 months... Is anyone else on here 30 or under and getting silver strands?

Cantabile
July 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
It really all comes down to genetics, I think. Random patches of white hair can occur in children even from an early age.

I noticed my first strands in the latter half of middle school actually... (talk about lousy genes! :laugh:) but it increased significantly during high school. Oh well, what can I do about it? It's really not that bad, just a bit weird sometimes to notice white glints in my hair.

burns_erin
July 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Yep, I am 26 and have had increasing patches of grey (I would not dignify mine by calling it silver) since I was 14 or 15. Hence my use of henna.

Siava
July 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Yep yep. I noticed a few strands when I was 20. Now I've got a lot more and love them to pieces; can't wait to go all silver! My daughter has a single strand that we noticed the day after my father died. She was 8. I told her that Papa must have passed his on to her. :) She loves her little "Papa" strand.

ETA: Sorry! I just realized you asked for 30 and under. I forgot that I just had a birthday so I'm over the 30 mark now. :lol:

thankyousir74
July 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I have a small patch in my hair with only silver strands. it's not noticeable though only my mom and friends when they are combing or doing my hair notice.

akurah
July 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I had a girlfriend who had grey/white/silver hair in elementary school at the age of 10.

I'm pretty sure I've got greys hidden under my henna as I've got some grey eyebrow hairs that I pluck. If they start coming in more densely in my brows though I may have to resort to a brow pencil or dye.

wintersun99
July 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Family genetics is so hit/miss sometimes. My aunt (mother's sister) went gray in highschool and my mother didn't start growing gray hair until her 30's... shrug.

Smoking is also related to early graying as well... (I think)

yrrebwartsymssi
July 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
siava you are fine lol just one year over lol

wintersun99 nope never picked up a cig. in my life!!! lol my dad smoked around me when i was little but i was about 5 and he didn't live with us then...

i'm not stressin over it... its a little cool and i am ready to prove to my mom that when i go gray i will NOT color it (or cut it... she believes long hair doesn't look good on older women)

AJoifulNoise
July 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm 22 and noticed some white hairs a couple months back. I like them!

JessTheMess
July 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I'm 24 and have some random silvers mixed throughout. I kinda can't wait to go all the way grey. I think it is very charismatic. Hopefully I get my grandmothers ivory mane!

CurlyNinja
July 30th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Me! I'm 21 and have about 2% whites. I haven't decided what to do with them totally. Some days I love them, some days I hate it.

bex487
July 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I had a friend in high school who, by 17, was almost totally gray. She was embarrassed and dyed it as dark as possible. The only thing was, she was really lax about touching up her roots-and it was so weird to see super light roots with such black hair everywhere else!

Islandgrrl
July 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM
One of my nieces (she's 19) is about 50% grey already. Runs on her father's side of the family, apparently.

Anje
July 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I found my first gray (full-length, at that) when I was 12. I've got a dozen or so on the top of my head these days, and I just let them be.

My DH has a few beard hairs on his chin that he swears came in gray when he was 17, and most of the red portions of his beard are now gray at 31. He also tells of people he knew growing up where all the children in the family went totally gray in high school. (Perhaps not cool then, but they probably got sent for lots of beer runs when they went to college.)

trolleypup
July 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I got my first silver at 17...always had a few glints in there...they started becoming more common in my mid 30s.

Little_Bird
July 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
My grandfather was completely silver at 18 :)

There are some people in my family who are very young and have silver. My mom, however, only started greying after 35.

It depends on people but remember: silver is pretty :) At least for me :flower:

Isilme
July 30th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I found three in my bf's hair today, he's 24

NurseMama
July 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM
At 32, I now have full "ear muffs" of silver as well as 30% on the rest of my head. It started at 22 and has just continued. I don't mind the gray, I do mind gray in my mouse brown hair. If there was a way to just color the brown and leave the silver I would!

ZaBasDa
July 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have a friend who was 30% grey by age 13. They are scattered throughout her hair and look awesome against her dark hair.

I started going grey when I was 11, but it was due to some hormonal imbalance that has since been cleared up. But I found another grey hair the other day, and I rather like it.

redtea
July 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I've been getting white hairs (I have yet to find an actual gray hair - they all seem to be white) since I was 18. Over the past couple years I've gotten more and more of them to the point where it's pretty noticeable. The last time I got my hair trimmed even the stylist was kind enough to point them out to me... I've been using henna on my roots which helps them blend in, but all my white hairs are still noticeably lighter than the rest of my hair. My grandmother had beautiful white hair so I'm hoping mine will look like hers someday.. but I still feel a little too young for it right now!

Nevermore
July 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My daughter has a single strand that we noticed the day after my father died. She was 8. I told her that Papa must have passed his on to her. :) She loves her little "Papa" strand.

That was such a sweet thing to tell her and such a nice reminder for her!

teela1978
July 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I think I found my first silver at 14 or so. I have a couple of racing stripes if I pull my hair back just right. They're shiny :)

tigerlily83
July 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm 25 and I've seen a few silver hairs, and they were very easy to see since I have dark brown hair. One was towards the crown of my head when I was just combing my hair and I just had to pluck it out and examine it!

I've also found some going way past my temples and between my crown/forehead. I'm not worried....my mom started getting silver hairs in her mid forties(she's almost 48 ) and dad started getting them around the same time (he's 51). My husband has a bunch on the sides of his head (he's got traditional male pattern baldness, too). I barely notice it unless I am super close to him, and he cuts his hair very short. I kinda like it! :)

danacc
August 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
ALL of us silver-hairs are young! :pinktongue:

Of course, not all of us had silver before 30. A dear friend of mine had her first strands of silver in high school. But she didn't get more than a few strands until after 40, and at over 60, she is still salt-and-pepper. So when you start getting silver, and then how quickly the transformation takes, are both highly individual.

Kyannah
August 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
My daughter has one single silver hair at the top of her head. She has had it since she was born. She has dark brown hair so it stands out like a sore thumb.

EbonyCurls
August 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I have two reallllyy glittery ones that are about 8-inches long before they fade to brown (I estimated that they started growing my senior year in college haha!).
I love dark hair, so I would like to have it (naturally) as long as I can, but I do look forward to having beautiful silvery hair and check every once in a while to see if my two "babies" are still there. I think I will be sad if one of them sheds :(.

Speedbump
August 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I started getting silvers at least at 18, and it was probably earlier than that because the hairs my ex-boyfriend found were about six inches long (at least a year old).

Bene
August 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
both my mom and grandad were completely grey by the time they were 40... don't have any grays yet, but i don't plan to dye when i do.

TwirlyTresses
August 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I found my first silver hair at 19, and soon had a small group of ten or so right near my hairline. Now I'm 30, and still have that same small grouping of silvers. Now they're just really long!

I keep wondering when more will come.

Leia's_Advocate
August 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Some kids making fun of my hair when I was six or seven found a grey hair and ripped it out for everyone to see, and then dropped it in my french fries. Wasn't elementary school a joyous time? :rolleyes:

I've been finding more as the years go by. I'm twenty-one at the end of this week and if you look closely, you can find at least three silver hairs running through my braid, and more if you lift the hair around my temples. Early greys run in my family. I like them - my best friend calls them unicorn hairs.

Xandergrammy
August 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I'm 24 and have some random silvers mixed throughout. I kinda can't wait to go all the way grey. I think it is very charismatic. Hopefully I get my grandmothers ivory mane!

Hijack- sorry, but JessTheMess, your eyes are gorgeous!!!

Back on topic, I work with a young man who has a white patch the size of a silver dollar on the back of his head. He says he's always had it. I also had a 21 year old patient recently who had a shock of white hair in the middle of his forehead.

GoldenBreeze
August 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'm not under 30, but I have had silver/grey hair since I was around 10 or 12. At 18 I started coloring my hair, and have been using either rinses or henna ever since. I'm now in the process of deciding whether I want to just let the silver have it's way. I'm not certain that I'm ready, but since I'm thinking about it, I must be getting close.

savi
August 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
My brother has always had silver colored hair or ashen as I'd like to call it.. His teachers used to tease him about it; that he'd gone grey. I think he started darkening when he hit 16, it's getting darker and darker now. It goes down to genetics.

GreenGables
August 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I haven't got silver strands in my hair, but I've had a white eyelash all my life, it always grows back.:p
I guess it could be a hairsack lacking pigment, an albino one that is?

JessTheMess
August 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hijack- sorry, but JessTheMess, your eyes are gorgeous!!!

Back on topic, I work with a young man who has a white patch the size of a silver dollar on the back of his head. He says he's always had it. I also had a 21 year old patient recently who had a shock of white hair in the middle of his forehead.

teehee...thanks you!! :blushes:

I once knew this guy who had a quarter sized patch of white on the side of his head. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Xandergrammy
August 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I once knew this guy who had a quarter sized patch of white on the side of his head. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Wouldn't it be funny if it were the same guy??

taliarose
August 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Well I'm above thirty now but I was born with jet black hair with a few strands of pure white near the crown. The black fell out and came in a dark brown. :( Now the whites have all multiplied but they are only noticable to me. 99% of the time no one else sees them. Genetics say I'll go salt n' pepper but I'm hoping for just silver.

Elleyena
August 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
we were taking pictures outside yesterday and my mom moved my hair aside and gasped. I went to look in the mirror and I have a perfectly white strand of hair growing out. lol I'm only 18.