PDA

View Full Version : - Temporary dying hair with chalk o.o

RedheadMistress
June 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
- Just bleached and dyed all my hair red/pink again and then found this video online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ly4GhDia4k which almost makes me wish i hadnt done it permanently and instead tried this method when i got bored of my natural hair !

as anybody tried this ?
Think it can be a good tip for people who want to dye their hair temporarily some colour, but don't want to damage their hair . . do you think this method will damage hair ? All that chalk and color . .

Let me know what you're thinking !

Never heard of this method before o.o

natural_shine
June 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Too messy. And it has a very dry and well... chalky aspect. Not something I'd want. I don't see the point in doing this.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking "tedious." I thought they had spray in colors that wash out which one could buy. They apparently pop up more around Halloween......

heidi w.

terpentyna
June 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Messy, it rubs off on clothing big time.

Kaelee
June 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM
I hear it's really bad for your hair to (drying).

The other problem is "temporary" colors tend to be not-so temporary, especially on bleached hair.

dwell_in_safety
June 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
It is very drying on the hair.

evieisocoolike
June 1st, 2012, 12:02 PM
It can be pretty drying, may feel like hairspray, and as you rub it's creating friction (especially if you're rubbing it up the hair- :shudder: . So just be careful- and you would only be able do it for special events for minimal damage.

Asma
June 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
I did this for my ends (sort of like dip-dye) And I LOVED IT. It does feel dry and you have to use heat for the colour to stay on but I think its worth it. (When I chalk, I go down and NEVER up cause it seems just like backcombing if I go up-down-up-down) + I don't do it often ;)

MegaMystery
June 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM
I can only imagine getting caught in the rain with that stuff on my hair.. brr

Eirelin
October 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry to repeat myself, but there seem to be several different threads on this.

I also need to apologize in advance for the size of the photos.

Here is a photo of the results of my experiment with chalk pastels + Curlformers:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/603601_504369809575408_474993400_n.jpg

I put plenty of oil and diluted conditioner in the hair (my spray bottle always has a tiny bit of conditioner in it, anyway). Then I sprayed the pastel piece, rubbed it all over the glove (still spraying) and then gently rubbed downward on the strand of hair (not putting any pressure on it). Then the strand went into a Curlformer.

I slept in the Curlformers and then in the morning, took them out. I used a LOT of olive oil sheen spray on the curls, put it up in a claw, and then sprayed on more sheen spray several times throughout the day. No heat!

The top row of hair was alternating blues and greens, while the bottom half was alternating pinks and purples. The pinks were okay, the greens turned out VERY well, and the blues and purples pretty much just disappeared.

I actually had it in for a few days because I had no chance to wash my hair before that, so by the third day, when I really needed a more conservative look, I very, very carefully combed it out and put it up in a bun with the colors hidden. I was finally able to wash it out the following day, after loading a big mix of honey & conditioner into it for an hour or two.

You know, I actually forgot about the colors until I went to rinse the honey & conditioner out and got the shock of my life when all this dark water poured out of my hair!

That was last week, and my hair has had no ill effects from it.

Here's another picture, taken before I put it up:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/298536_504368972908825_1785414475_n.jpg

I got some interesting reactions on Facebook ;P

Eirelin
October 1st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Oh, and it did not get on any of my clothes or anything.

melusine963
October 2nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
This looks like so much fun. Unfortunately, the fact that the colour will rub off everywhere is a bit of a deal breaker for me. After all the effort of putting it in, you'd have to wash it out that same night. :(

MaryO
October 4th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Think it looks like fun! Not sure whether I'd actually do it though...

lis_sing
October 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Disliked it. Very messy when applying since the hair and chalk have to be wet and the color drips everywhere. And when the chalk is dry on the hair strand, chalk dust falls off on my clothes. Also, you damage your since you have to rub the chalk on the hair strand over and over to get any color. And the color pay-off is so-so. I have almost black-brown hair (level 2) and I had to put A LOT of chalk on for it to show up. And it fades as it dries :(

I could see people with lighter hair maybe putting up with this to get some temporary color but, to me, the hassle, messiness, and damage was not worth it

Sylvestrix
October 4th, 2012, 09:37 AM
For some reason, this doesn't work on my hair at all. But Eirelin, I absolutely adore your results! Those green streaks looks gorgeous in your hair. I'm waiting for a set of Curlformer-dupes right now, I can't wait to try them!

joflakes
October 4th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Can you use oil pastels?! *random thought of the day*

mzBANGBANG
October 4th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I used chalk pastels (dry) and then applied hairspray. I read drying comments so I made sure to oil my hair after washing it out and I haven't had any damage. I've only done it once and I loved it! So nice to not have to dye my hair.

fairview
October 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Their are 2 ways to chalk.

It can be done dry. The selected chalk sticks are rubbed on the hair and then flat ironed lightly and brushed lightly to remove any excess. This will last for about 3 days and perhaps one shampoo.

The second more lasting way is to LIGHTLY mist the hair. Rub the chalk sticks and lightly flat iron and brush. This can last up to two weeks and several shampoos.

YMMWV with either method.

If the hair is so wet that it is dripping, it is too wet. If the chalk is rubbing off on clothes way to much is being put one. This is a fun and absolutely safe way for very young ladies to enjoy color without fear of permanently changing the growth patterns of their maturing hair follicles. The chalk is nothing special. Sidewalk chalk works just as well as anything labelled hair chalk. It is the same. And yes it will be somewhat drying just like those of us who had the privilege of writing our homework on slate chalk boards with the old school white chalk sticks.

RedheadMistress
October 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
- Gorgeous results !!

Sorry to repeat myself, but there seem to be several different threads on this.

I also need to apologize in advance for the size of the photos.

Here is a photo of the results of my experiment with chalk pastels + Curlformers:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/603601_504369809575408_474993400_n.jpg

I put plenty of oil and diluted conditioner in the hair (my spray bottle always has a tiny bit of conditioner in it, anyway). Then I sprayed the pastel piece, rubbed it all over the glove (still spraying) and then gently rubbed downward on the strand of hair (not putting any pressure on it). Then the strand went into a Curlformer.

I slept in the Curlformers and then in the morning, took them out. I used a LOT of olive oil sheen spray on the curls, put it up in a claw, and then sprayed on more sheen spray several times throughout the day. No heat!

The top row of hair was alternating blues and greens, while the bottom half was alternating pinks and purples. The pinks were okay, the greens turned out VERY well, and the blues and purples pretty much just disappeared.

I actually had it in for a few days because I had no chance to wash my hair before that, so by the third day, when I really needed a more conservative look, I very, very carefully combed it out and put it up in a bun with the colors hidden. I was finally able to wash it out the following day, after loading a big mix of honey & conditioner into it for an hour or two.

You know, I actually forgot about the colors until I went to rinse the honey & conditioner out and got the shock of my life when all this dark water poured out of my hair!

That was last week, and my hair has had no ill effects from it.

Here's another picture, taken before I put it up:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/298536_504368972908825_1785414475_n.jpg

I got some interesting reactions on Facebook ;P

theemeraldskull
October 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I tried this the other day! I haven't been able to get on LHC for a while or else would have posted this sooner... in any case, this was me and my sister.

It was a little messy, but not excessively so. I only planned to leave it in for a day, I washed my hair that night.

Me on the right and my little sis on the left. It showed up and held better in her blonde hair, naturally, and also retained a bit of color after 2 washes.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/theemeraldskull/lhcsmall1.jpg

Her hair with some awesome color. :-D
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/theemeraldskull/lhcsmall2.jpg

My hair. The chalk did dry it out, but I wasn't really worried about it, I only did it for a one day use.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/theemeraldskull/lhcsmall3.jpg

And another photo of my hair.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/theemeraldskull/lhcsmall4.jpg