PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Benefits of LHC

l'inconnue
May 31st, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hello All!

After reading LHC for a while, I have gone from daily washing/blowfrying/straightening to 100% no-heat styling. And, wonder of wonders, my hair looks a zillion times better all wavy and natural. But I've also noticed some other wonderful benefits:

--I no longer have to worry about leaving my hair straightener on every morning when I leave for work. (What a big relief! It always seemed so destined to burn the place down, given my penchant for forgetfulness.)

--Getting caught in the rain does not equal instant frizzies.

--Updos hold better. The straightened hair always wanted to snake its way out of a bun.

--No more fighting with a hot hairdryer in the middle of summer.

What unexpected benefits have you experienced?

HintOfMint
May 31st, 2012, 06:33 PM
The phrase, "I'm not here to decorate your world." I feel like it sums up so many feminist ideas that I've been trying to explain to my father and some of my less enlightened male friends when they act like it's a crime when a woman isn't pretty.

Also, a different idea of what beautiful hair is. I feel like my horizons have expanded. Before, I probably would have had Cosmo-girl, Kim Kardashian hair in mind when I thought of long hair and now I can appreciate hair without layers, classic-length hair, and even more outlandish short spiky haircuts. I think it's the openminded atmosphere of the forum.

jacqueline101
May 31st, 2012, 07:05 PM
I agree the hair benefits I've learned here are wonderful. My journey has come along ways.

Silverbrumby
May 31st, 2012, 07:30 PM
I love the support and encouragement as well as great ideas. I have Wednesday Adamms braids which I'm embracing.

myHairGrowth
May 31st, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hair is much more manageable and healthy for me now. Learnt lots about handling and caring for hair and how to grow healthy long hair

Tisiloves
May 31st, 2012, 07:58 PM
I now spend a lot less time in the shower on average.

Honeyfall
May 31st, 2012, 08:39 PM
The phrase, "I'm not here to decorate your world." I feel like it sums up so many feminist ideas that I've been trying to explain to my father and some of my less enlightened male friends when they act like it's a crime when a woman isn't pretty.

Amen to that, sister. I can't believe how many women take that attitude too!

I think overall my self-esteem has improved a lot while on this site, mostly as an indirect result of leaving my hair alone and letting its natural beauty come forth. I find hair extremely lovely in general, so seeing mine look good for pretty much the first time ever has been amazing! :D

Anje
May 31st, 2012, 08:53 PM
I now spend a lot less time in the shower on average.
So do I. Perhaps strangely, it didn't occur to me before finding this forum that I didn't have to wash my hair every time I showered. (In my family, washing hair was seen as an intrinsic part of bathing, I suppose.) So my showers shortened dramatically, and I became more inclined to take them daily since I didn't have to deal with wet hair!

swearnsue
May 31st, 2012, 09:20 PM
An unexpected benefit I received is my health in general has improved. I started taking supplements and my cholesterol has gone down 11 points, my joints feel 100% better, my skin is smoother, I sleep better, my fingernails are stronger and longer and I have a bit more energy during the day.

GrowingGlory
May 31st, 2012, 09:26 PM
1. I stopped washing my hair with shampoo and use organic soap nut soak instead. ($50/yr.)
2. I no longer need conditioner as my scalp produces enough sebum. ($50/yr.)
3. I made it to terminal length with healthy hair, so no more hair cuts for me. ($60+/yr.)
4. I invested in a BBB and never need a DCT. ($20+/yr.)
That's $180+/yr.
Note: I included #3 because it represents a significant savings on an ongoing basis. Hope that I didn't offend the OP.

EdG
May 31st, 2012, 09:30 PM
I think my social skills have improved, oddly enough. :ponder:
Ed

Hgunderman
May 31st, 2012, 10:04 PM
It's definitely been my go-to site when I get tempted to cut my hair :) I'm about one inch past BSL and this site keeps me motivated to keep going until I reach my goal of waist length :)

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
LHC makes me feel smarter because I have learned all this really good information about how to care for hair, and the information behind different treatments/ products/ etc. Talking with others on here is also a cut above the conversation with folks you might find on other sites. I just cringe when I read some of the mindless comments on, for example, youtube videos.

However learning all this stuff that no one else I know thinks about or understands does feed my issues with "being weird", but after 42 years that was not going to go away anytime soon. I should just embrace it.

Oh, also the OPPOSITE of a benefit....I am much poorer from giving in to enabling about hair toys/ brushes, combs, oils. I have gone a little crazy with it. But on the flip side, the benefit of "retail therapy" is that it's been really pleasurable, and I needed that... Thanks LHC!

rena
May 31st, 2012, 11:31 PM
This one may sound off the wall as far as unexpected benefits go, but as an artist, seeing pics of all the many different types of hairs here have helped me to expand my hair-drawing abilities, as I learn by seeing and mimicking.

Before, I always just slapped on the same straight hair with bangs look on all my characters, and unless I drew the faces or something else about them different, they all looked the same. No variety, which made for boring looking characters that looked like clones of each other. But now, after seeing REAL hair in its many colors, shapes, and forms, I feel that I have more ability to personalize my characters into their own unique individuality; and as some of you may have noticed, with hair, this is an important part of designing characters, because this is a part that recieves much visual attention, just as it is with people in real life. Care must be taken to make this aspect special unto the character to which it belongs, and I feel I can more easily achieve this now. I became a member here to improve the condition and look of my hair. I didn't really expect TLHC to also help my characters' hair as well ^^.

Also to note, while reading the threads geared towards other subjects besides hair, I've had the pleasure of reading true-life experiences and stories from other members concerning things that I've found myself wondering about, not to mention little tips and bits of both advertant and inadvertant advice about life and various things in general that I've found myself greatful to pick up.

Suze2012
May 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Aside from finally knowing there are ways to tame frizz and look after my hair in a much more gentle way.....

.....I have also found that since stopping using sulphate shampoo my nails are growing like crazy and much stronger - seems like the sulphates were stripping my nails too as they have always always been really weak. :)

red-again
June 1st, 2012, 12:03 AM
Finding out I wasn't a 1a / 1b but for now a 2a. I always used to blow dry, then use a hot air curling brush (wow, did that thing get hot!!) and then sometimes out in heate d rollers for curl/bounce.
So I clarified, posted a pic on here and asked for opinions on my hair type. It was basically unanimous at 2 c!

All those years trying to get my hair to look like it was naturally!
( btw I love straight, shiny hair it just makes my face look weird prob because I have a large head overall but a comparatively small face. I don't know but I look strange!:)

skaempfer
June 1st, 2012, 12:06 AM
:bigeyes:

I think you may be on to something. I never really made a connection before, but I did notice a big improvement in the condition of my nails about the time I gave up SLS...

:hmm:

Aside from finally knowing there are ways to tame frizz and look after my hair in a much more gentle way.....

.....I have also found that since stopping using sulphate shampoo my nails are growing like crazy and much stronger - seems like the sulphates were stripping my nails too as they have always always been really weak. :)

PoppyCakes
June 1st, 2012, 12:19 AM
An unexpected benefit I received is my health in general has improved. I started taking supplements and my cholesterol has gone down 11 points, my joints feel 100% better, my skin is smoother, I sleep better, my fingernails are stronger and longer and I have a bit more energy during the day.
I definitely agree with everything here. Since I started taking care of my hair health, through supplements, everything else has improved. My skin in particular.

Arashi
June 1st, 2012, 01:05 AM
Many of the changes I made with my haircare routine I also did with my skincare routine, and it has done wonders for it. Cutting out SLS and cones and using more natural products on my skin has cleared up the vast majority of skin issues I suffered with before.

allio21
June 1st, 2012, 01:43 AM
So much softer and the color much more vibrant!

Natalia
June 1st, 2012, 03:05 AM
i dont travel often but its great to have less crap. for a 3 day trip my hair products and appliances took up the same amount of space as my clothes. now on short trips its just a comb, hair pin, and maybe some vinegar.

kidari
June 1st, 2012, 03:18 AM
I save a ton of money as well as time and effort. The most ironic part is that I used to spend so much time getting my hair to look a certain way when all this time my natural hair in it's healthy state looks so much better than when it was meticulously styled. I don't stress out about it and waste time on my hair anymore, which is so refreshing.

Heatherzilla
June 1st, 2012, 04:13 AM
After trawling through some of the threads about herbal hair care I have developed quite an interest in herbal medicine. I'm now planning on doing a short course in ayurvedic medicine when I get the chance.

Neneka
June 1st, 2012, 05:17 AM
I can cope quite long without any products. Year ago I had to be away for a week doing some studies in the forest and I just did WO for the whole time and my hair was just fine (that means no shampoo or conditioner leeks in my luggage :thumbsup:). It's also funny how people get greasies after one or two days without washing and my hair still looks and feels freshly washed. :p

OCM and oil for the blackheads. My skincare is now very different than before.

I am more confident with my body.

It's good to practice my English here. I can now spell "difficult" word better and reading English is now easier than before. It has never been too hard for me but now if the text is not too hard it's almost as easy as reading in my first language. :)

proo
June 1st, 2012, 05:40 AM
Since joining I have adopted a paleo diet and the SO routine.
I've become waaay more organized and minimal in all aspects.
This is radical stuff that I've been striving for most of my adult life.
Thanks LHC.

PolarCathy
June 1st, 2012, 05:51 AM
I've changed some of my eating habits in the hope of getting better growth and well, I din't seem to have better growth BUT my nails are stronger than ever. I've alaways had very fragile nails. Not anymore... :) I think it's because of the beans I'm eating AND the oils I put on me AND the Mega-Tek that didn't grow my hair any faster but is fantastic for my nails.

Tisiloves
June 1st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Another one, now I have the courage to cut my own fringe it actually goes straight across (I have inherited my dad's weird cowlick/quiff thing that makes him look like Tin-Tin, so when my fringe was wet cut it would end up dipping up in the middle).

Iolanthe13
June 1st, 2012, 06:55 AM
I'm saving a lot of money, in proportion to my college student budget. My skin is clearer, because I got the idea of washing with honey here. I can swim without worrying about dye fading. I'm not going to suffer from a PPD reaction, which I didn't even know could happen until I came here.

Nae
June 1st, 2012, 07:10 AM
Meeting some really great people.

And menstrual cups, what a vast improvement.

Hollyfire3
June 1st, 2012, 07:55 AM
i dont travel often but its great to have less crap. for a 3 day trip my hair products and appliances took up the same amount of space as my clothes. now on short trips its just a comb, hair pin, and maybe some vinegar.

Yup! I bring my shampoo, conditioner and leave in (pretty normal, but I USED to bring a bag of crap!) I actually had to go out and BUY a flat iron on a weekend trip because I couldn't go ONE day without straight hair...it was TERRIBLE....and it used to take forever to flat iron and burn and now, no more dealing with ANY of that....leave in and air dried here I come!

Hollyfire3
June 1st, 2012, 07:59 AM
I have learned long hair for me IS possible, I stopped all heat styling (except the occasional blow dryer) and stopped using five products....I also found a routine that is working as of now (knocks on wood) when before I thought I was stuck with limp, fried hair forever. I feel so empowered to not be a slave to the flat iron and to be able to perserve for what I want, no more dragging along tons of crap and my hair is 100% better for it! I came here to just read the site before I even joined or knew what it was, the first thing i read was give up the flat iron if you want long hair, I thought, I don't need to do that, I can't, not ever! Now, I NEVER touch the stupid thing. Its amazing how much can be acomplished, especially with so many GREAT and WONDERFUL people to talk to!

Henrietta
June 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM

Also, a different idea of what beautiful hair is. I feel like my horizons have expanded. Before, I probably would have had Cosmo-girl, Kim Kardashian hair in mind when I thought of long hair and now I can appreciate hair without layers, classic-length hair, and even more outlandish short spiky haircuts. I think it's the openminded atmosphere of the forum.

I second this. The phrase "I am not here to decorate your world" comes back to me pretty often, usually in terms of behaviour, it's not limited to looks only.

RitaCeleste
June 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM
I've not been to a salon for a cut since coming here. I finally accepted that I just like simple and long hair. Before when I got to this length, I'd let others push me towards a cut I didn't want and they were not gonna like either. I've learned about great haircare products. I've been inspired to retry some I'd given up on (Pantene for one). I've picked up some cheap tricks to deep condition my hair. I'm saving tons of money from using the recipes on the boards. I'm also thinking about Henna instead of chemical coloring for red. I'm happier with my hair and it stays with me threw out the days.

Crysania
June 1st, 2012, 08:43 AM
its true that updos hold a lot better when left wavy/curly for me too
i still have frizz on humid days though, but the frizz look better on curly hair than on straightened hair !

cm006j
June 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM

This was a brand new idea for me just months ago.

I grew up in a really conservative culture and this idea that I don't exist for the sole purpose of being pretty while men can contribute other things to society...it was a really profound moment for me.

ETA: and to answer the original question, I've saved a ton of money by never going to hair salons. It's been over four years since I last had someone else cut my hair!

red-again
June 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Meeting some really great people.

And menstrual cups, what a vast improvement.

Already a moon cup user but on the meeting some really great people, I second this.
On the level we are all growing/ improving our hair but then you get to know some more or read and reply to their posts and realise that there are some very strong women on here all coping with complicated / hard / devastating things in the real world and coming on here and helping others, it really is awe inspiring.
You are a good lot ( very English term!). Thankyou

Jing
June 2nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
Better skin, and a greater interest in natural beauty care and how diet affects our bodies not just in terms of weight.

Kiwiwi
June 2nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
I came here for information on growing my hair long. I got so much more.
The biggest unexpected benefit was learning about the curly girl method here. Most curlies would understand me. I had a lifetime of hating my hair, every single day was a bad hair day. I learned here that I needed to gain knowledge about my hair type so I would know how to take care of it to make it look it's best. I learned to stop fighting my hair so it would stop 'fighting me'.
Now I have the most gorgeous curls and am very happy with that.

It's so powerful when you stop trying to make your hair be what it's not. When you accept yourself the way you are and start searching for information to take care of it.
With that comes something deeper. It's not just about hair anymore but in general accepting who you are and working with it instead of against it. Very powerful.

SnowWhite
June 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Unexpected benefits:

- My hair actually looks better when airdryed instead of using the blowdryer!

- I spend a lot less money on hair products!

Zesty
June 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
I don't know if these are exactly direct benefits of LHC, but I feel like LHC has kept me going in the right direction. A lot of my lifestyle is really in line with the typical LHC things. I don't wear makeup or use deodorant, I used a menstrual cup before I'd discovered LHC, and since discovering LHC I've discovered minimalism and the primal diet online, both of which have also been discussed on LHC. The LHC ideal of being yourself and not giving a damn what other people think has really helped me grow as a person. :) And also valuing health over appearances or trendiness. LHC is pretty close to my heart that way.

Also, I don't know how I ever lived my life before hair sticks. Really. ;)

Arciela
June 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
I've learned quite a lot :) I thought I would have to cut off all of my hair and that it was damaged beyond repair! But with what I learned I managed to salvage my somewhat long hair :) My hair and skin is in much much better condition now! :flower:

bumblebums
June 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
I think my social skills have improved, oddly enough. :ponder:
Ed

Excellent point. I am much better at keeping my mouth shut now.

I have also saved about $600 in haircuts since I joined. Probably also half that amount in ridiculous hair products.

I also know some fun methods of washing my hair that allow me to not worry about the fluid restrictions on air travel (although they sometimes introduce other problems (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53549) :) ).

WaitingSoLong
June 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
So do I. Perhaps strangely, it didn't occur to me before finding this forum that I didn't have to wash my hair every time I showered. (In my family, washing hair was seen as an intrinsic part of bathing, I suppose.) So my showers shortened dramatically, and I became more inclined to take them daily since I didn't have to deal with wet hair!

Exactly this. Amazing what just never occurs to me. I also learned that we don't all fit into cookie cutter routines, there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach which was a huge relief, not just for hair but everything, really. I felt like such a failure when I tried "proven" methods and they just did not work for me.

I have saved a lot of money and stress by no longer needing to go to a salon for haircuts.

I have an international connection I never had before. I love diversity and culture and enjoy seeing and even trying so many different things. Like parandi :) I actually share conversations with people from other countries. Very cool.

And I have to say that LHC has restored some of my faith in mankind...really I had so many bad experiences in other forums (and real life social groups) where it was "conform or get out" basically and people just looking for arguments or conflict or controversy. I truly enjoy that there are so many different kinds of people here and we can all coexist peacefully and even mutually beneficially. Ok, I know it isn't ALWAYS perfect but still...

I stuck with the mane forum and hair forums for a long while after joining TLHC because there was just so much to ingest. But I like the friendship board now, and the health and body board (tho not so much the parenting board, sorry lol) and it is awesome to have a world full of experience and advice to look through, things I never would have heard of if not for this place.

Also, since I am introverted and secluded in real life, TLHC gives me a "safe" social environment that I never had before. I am not forced into it and I can choose to ignore anything that makes me uncomfortable, plus I am way more open-minded now socially. Also, as a social reject in real life, I have found acceptance here.

akilina
June 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
All the support from everyone with the same goals as myself-- longer hair!!
It is awesome that this site is here. When I try to talk to my mom about me growing out my hair she starts to think I'm psycho and obsessed about my hair ahaha...maybe a little :)

getoffmyskittle
June 2nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
-- tons of friends
-- I have connections in almost every city I can think of
-- getting to travel to places I wouldn't have otherwise gone
-- exciting cool stories like "I randomly ran into Loviatar on the sidewalk in London"
-- I seem really popular on Facebook because tons of LHCers respond to my posts :p

Vanilla
June 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Long hair can be both provocative and professional.

There are more ways to secure your hair up besides doing a ponytail (seriously that's all I did), and a lovely selection of pretty and professional hair toys to do it with. I don't know how I would want to continue growing my hair without my wooden hair forks (I'd always chop my hair because I got sick of the ponytail dipping into the sink when i washed my face in the morning)

Dovetail
June 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
I can save oodles not buying shampoo!
My hair gets way less knotted
I can buy cool wooden combs and not feel bad!
I am throughly enabled, and have lots of people to gossip about hair with, which I lack in my outside life
Oh! And HAIR TOYS! Omg I didn't even know so many existed.

Tia2010
June 2nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Well I clicked on some of the members sites and that lead me to etsy where I found great, unique and wonderful things!! :) And seeing all the natural products and fun things renewed some of my old hobbies/interest that I have set aside for years.

julierockhead
June 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I found etsy through TLHC! Oh wait, maybe that's not a benefit. :doh:

Navi
June 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'm very new here, but have lurked for a few weeks, and come to the revelatory conclusion that I don't HAVE to get my hair cut every 8 weeks, especially given I'm not prone to split ends... I can actually leave it to grow for a few months and nothing bad will happen!!
And, I can use henna on my extremely dark hair and get a superior reddish gloss to what I was getting from commercial hair dye in the salon.
Saves me money that I can more constructively spend elsewhere!:cool:

KwaveT
June 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
I most certainly learned how to take better care of my hair. I learned about supplements to help my hair and nails to grow faster and stronger. I use more tools rather than less now. I use to use regular hair brush, tight-toothed comb, and shampoo. Now I use a styling comb, wide-toothed comb, boar bristle brush, and a tangle teezer. I have about four or five different shampoos and about same number of different conditioners. I don't use blow dryer anymore though. On showers, I take longer than I use to. It is not because of my hair though, using conditioner may add two or three minutes to my shower. All the shaving I do now that I didn't use to do makes my bathroom/shower time last about forty five minutes now. I have most certainly learned how shampoo and conditioner affect my hair. Shampoo strips the curl from my hair and conditioner makes my waves and curls much more defined. I only shampoo the scalp now so I can maintain my waves and curls.

BrightEyes
June 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Wow...I had to really sit down and think about this. There are so many benefits I never expected. Even though my hair isn't any longer than when I joined two and a half years ago (as a result of too many chops out of impatience), my whole outlook on my hair has completely changed. When I joined it wasn't because I was at my wits end with damage and horrible hair, I just needed inspiration to grow. But I learned about the damage heat styling does. Since then I have worked on quitting and am amazed at the improvements my hair has made just from that change. My hair actually looks good on its own with no heat at all and my hair has gained thickness in circumference. I like my hair in its natural state. I never thought I would ever say that, I thought I would spend the rest of my life addicted to my flat iron and back combing.

After years of being told I can't have long hair because it is fine, the LHC has taught me that I CAN grow long beautiful hair with some extra care. I just haven't quite figured out the patience part yet:rolleyes:

I've discovered Caruso Steam rollers, that they can style my hair with virtually no damage. And before the LHC I didn't know there was such a thing as Etsy. Now I am gleefully addicted to the place:D I've discovered my favorite hair products, NightBlooming Panacea and Toadstool shampoo and body butter. And a whole list of other amazing shops that have made my DH curse the day I ever discovered Etsy.

I've learned that coconut oil applied before highlighting can minimize some of the damage from bleach. This has been one of the most helpful tips I've picked up.

There are others, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Natalia
June 2nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
And I have to say that LHC has restored some of my faith in mankind...really I had so many bad experiences in other forums (and real life social groups) where it was "conform or get out" basically and people just looking for arguments or conflict or controversy. I truly enjoy that there are so many different kinds of people here and we can all coexist peacefully and even mutually beneficially.

Also, since I am introverted and secluded in real life, TLHC gives me a "safe" social environment that I never had before. I am not forced into it and I can choose to ignore anything that makes me uncomfortable, plus I am way more open-minded now socially. Also, as a social reject in real life, I have found acceptance here.

i agree to spill a little secret im diagnosed agoraphobic and being on here is a safe way for me to reach out so i dont isolate so much on occasions i am out in the world. i have gained enough confidance to fake it better lol and sometimes i actually stick it out long enough to start enjoying the benefits of being out of the house.

Well I clicked on some of the members sites and that lead me to etsy where I found great, unique and wonderful things!!

im with you. i had heard of esty before but never felt comfortable odering from them till i got on here and can read about other peoples experiance with the sellers. now if i had the money id certainly do it. reputation is important!

misspurdy06
June 3rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
I spend a lot less money on hair products. and the things i do get last much longer. also I read a lot more

maradeerfarmer
June 3rd, 2012, 12:48 AM
I've gained extra time in the morning, by not washing (then having to dry!) my hair every day, ;)

pepperminttea
June 3rd, 2012, 02:01 AM
You guys have said it much better than I. This is a really lovely thread to read. :)

Also, a different idea of what beautiful hair is. I feel like my horizons have expanded. Before, I probably would have had Cosmo-girl, Kim Kardashian hair in mind when I thought of long hair and now I can appreciate hair without layers, classic-length hair, and even more outlandish short spiky haircuts.

It's so powerful when you stop trying to make your hair be what it's not. When you accept yourself the way you are and start searching for information to take care of it.
With that comes something deeper. It's not just about hair anymore but in general accepting who you are and working with it instead of against it. Very powerful.

I also learned that we don't all fit into cookie cutter routines, there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach which was a huge relief, not just for hair but everything, really. I felt like such a failure when I tried "proven" methods and they just did not work for me.

I have saved a lot of money and stress by no longer needing to go to a salon for haircuts.

After years of being told I can't have long hair because it is fine, the LHC has taught me that I CAN grow long beautiful hair with some extra care.

There are more ways to secure your hair up besides doing a ponytail (seriously that's all I did)

Oh! And HAIR TOYS! Omg I didn't even know so many existed.

Bunnysaur
June 3rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
-The smell of neem is keeping my mom from using my bathroom constantly, and lavender EO is a natural moth repellent!

-I was able to keep all but .5" of my hair after my bleaching adventure!

-I'm taking care of myself in general a bit better now, not just my hair.

I'm also going to have to chime in on the "I'm not here to decorate your world" aspect of this site. It's really changed the way I feel about my place in the world, mostly for the better :D I've never been one to give two darns what people think about me, but now that's even more pronounced.

Oh, and cheese, how could I forget?! :cheese:

einna
June 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
LHC has made me more open minded, not just regarding hair, but also different world views and ways to live life, and opened my mind to more natural and organic living, hair care, body care and eating. I feel more whole and on the right path for a healthier, better life now.

I have also found companionship and a new hobby!
Documenting my hair is fun as well as useful.

It is also a great motivation to exercise! ;)

ETA: Since I learned to trim my own hair, I have realized that I don't have to visit a hair salon ever again, unless I want to! :D Oh sweet freedom and empowerment!

ETA 2: Oh, and updoes have eased my life and will allow me to grow longer!

Indigo Girl
June 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
I don't know if these are exactly direct benefits of LHC, but I feel like LHC has kept me going in the right direction. A lot of my lifestyle is really in line with the typical LHC things. I don't wear makeup or use deodorant, I used a menstrual cup before I'd discovered LHC, and since discovering LHC I've discovered minimalism and the primal diet online, both of which have also been discussed on LHC. The LHC ideal of being yourself and not giving a damn what other people think has really helped me grow as a person. :) And also valuing health over appearances or trendiness. LHC is pretty close to my heart that way.

This. Well said. :bluesmile

Also, the great friendships - I wasn't expecting that when I first registered here! I've gotten to meet a lot of fabulous LHCers in person. :D

purpleheart
June 6th, 2012, 04:20 AM
learn to take care of my hair better.:)

UpNorth
June 6th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I got a very unexpected benefit from it. I learned how to sew better and fixed my broken sewing machine! Just because of a sleeping cap:)

And, all that hair related stuff too off course

onlyforhim
June 6th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hello All!

After reading LHC for a while, I have gone from daily washing/blowfrying/straightening to 100% no-heat styling. And, wonder of wonders, my hair looks a zillion times better all wavy and natural. But I've also noticed some other wonderful benefits:

--I no longer have to worry about leaving my hair straightener on every morning when I leave for work. (What a big relief! It always seemed so destined to burn the place down, given my penchant for forgetfulness.)

--Getting caught in the rain does not equal instant frizzies.

--Updos hold better. The straightened hair always wanted to snake its way out of a bun.

--No more fighting with a hot hairdryer in the middle of summer.

What unexpected benefits have you experienced?

all of it applies to me too :)

I love LHC and I actually have a real hope of growing very long healthy hair...people here are both a great encouragement and inspiration
my hair texture is much better, shine is pretty specially where my hair is not colored...trimming one- two cm each month to get rid of old colored fried hair

barely.there
June 6th, 2012, 07:47 AM

In my case, I feel MORE pretty with my LHC hair. Even DH agrees :D Also my hair is TONS easier to care for !!!!!! its not a fight every day!

I look older, in a good way. More grown up, classy, and sexy.

also: DH has decided not to cut off his mane! Now that LHC tips have helped improve his hairs managability, he isn't frustrated with it all the time and now we are growing out our hair together! :D :D :D

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM
One "benefit" I guess would be that I now admire long hair on men! My DBF looks much better with short hair than long, and I would never force him to grow it (he doesn't want to) but now when I see men in public with super long, healthy hair I just want to go up and compliment/congratulate them! I used to wonder why a guy would grow his hair for anything other than spiritual reasons, but now I see it as an attractive fashion choice :)

4C4rly4
June 8th, 2012, 04:26 AM
I've had pretty bad anxiety the past year and I've also been really bored since I quit my job and since my school semester was pretty easy this year too, it caused me to focus on my anxiety problems more, thus becoming more anxious. But ever since I started taking care of my hair a few days ago, it's like my anxiety has decreased because my mind is focused on my hair and I'm just looking forward to it growing :]

palaeoqueen
June 9th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I now spend far less time, effort and money on my hair, it's a revelation!

MasCat
June 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
- A wonderful society!
- No, really, you people are one of the greates bunches of weirdos I ever met :DI feel at home here :D
- Hairsticks! (I had them before, but never thought of them as a standalone hairtoy, rather an ornament for an updo I already made and pinned)
- Self made hairsticks! (tons of fun)
- Mooncup
- so many wise words on every possible topic

luv!

Masara
June 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM
...And I have to say that LHC has restored some of my faith in mankind...I truly enjoy that there are so many different kinds of people here and we can all coexist peacefully and even mutually beneficially. Ok, I know it isn't ALWAYS perfect but still...

This, very much so.

I've also found that when i come across a new product or idea, one of my first reactions is "I wonder LHC has to say about this?"