PDA

View Full Version : Passing of Maria Matarazzo, GM Salon, NYC

CherrySilver
May 31st, 2012, 05:45 PM
Just got a call from a friend informing me that Maria Matarazzo, the proprietory of the George Michael salon in NYC passed away last Thursday, 5/24. Maria was in her 80's and was a long-time employee of Dr. George Michael since the 1960's. She served as his right-hand managing his salon and succeeded him in his business after he left to retire in Florida.

I last saw Maria when I went in for a trim several weeks ago -- she was as graceful and charming as ever. Her niece has been working with her and will continue to manage the salon. She will be sadly missed by her staff and customers.

HintOfMint
May 31st, 2012, 06:35 PM
What a loss, may she rest in peace.

PixxieStix
May 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM
That's so sad, but it sounds like she had a long, good life. May she rest in peace.

GrowingGlory
May 31st, 2012, 07:22 PM
I was so shocked and sorry to hear this news. Sigh. Now we have a Patroness of Hair helping us from the afterlife.

Madora
May 31st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Oh, what sad news! Mrs. Matarazzo was a lovely, gracious woman who made every customer feel welcome..whether your hair was shoulder length or past your knees!

She was very adept at arranging long hair and I treasure the two GM shows I saw that featured her doing just that.

I'm so happy to hear that the GM NYC salon is going to stay open!