PDA

View Full Version : Itchy, flaky scalp - help!

natt i nord
May 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
My scalp is driving me nuts. I've got dandruff like mad and it's itchy - partly it is bleeding meanwhile, because I couldn't resist scratching.
When I'm scratching my scalp I always get some white stuff that is a bit greasy, too. Partly there are big dandruff with 2-3mm in average.

Recently I'm using a shampoo by LUSH and I know they contain SLS, but I tried many shampoos already and got the same results with everything, doesn't seem to matter what is in it. It was best with that for now.
It was better when I washed less frequently, but I'm doing more sports now for a few months already and because of that I have to wash every 2-3 days. Since that changed, my scalp is a catastrophe.

Has anybody had experiences like this already? This is definitely not normal and I'll see a doctor because of that, but that will take another few weeks until I get an appointment. So has anybody any ideas what I could try to make it less flaky and less itchy up to that? I tried oiling, didn't seem to help very much. I'm trying to strech washes again now, but I doubt I'll manage that, as I go to the gym twice a week and have to wash the sweat out afterwards...

TIA!

ladyfey
May 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Do you have Nizoral shampoo where you are? Any anti-fungal shampoo is a good try, dandruff is usually cause by an over-abundance of yeast.

letibear
May 31st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Until you can see a doctor, please try to do your best to avoid scratching, especially since your scalp is very dry and is bleeding in places. I would suggest using a very mild shampoo and perhaps even a rose water treatment for the scalp.

This link here is very informative on how you can use pure rose water to soothe your scalp and help with any inflammation:

http://makeupandbeauty.com/rose-water-hair-care/

I hope that it will help you.

natt i nord
June 1st, 2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks you two :) I didn't hear of Nizoral yet, but I'll try my mother's urea shampoo in the meantime and see whether it helps. If not, I'll have a closer look on that one.

Rose water is a great idea, I'll surely try that. Thank you very much :)

red-again
June 1st, 2012, 05:38 AM
My daughter has this and had a real prob with it a few weeks back. I switched her to CO and rubbed jojoba oil into her scalp (jojoba is a balancing oil, regulates sebum productiion and is quite light). I left the oil on overnight, then co washed it out putting back on the tiniest amount to the scalp after washing whilst damp.

I would if I were you try and switch from the lush shampoo, at least for a while, eventhilugh it has been fine till now, the reaction you are having may just have taken a while to develop, I.e you are now sensitised to it but that didn't happen straight away.sa

My daughters scalp is 98% better now, she is obviously really pleased with that too.

I would try and avoid harsh anti dandruff products as they will IMO dry your scalp more. They may still have use in the long run but maybe try the oil/ holistic approach for now.

lapushka
June 1st, 2012, 07:16 AM
I didn't hear of Nizoral yet, but I'll try my mother's urea shampoo in the meantime and see whether it helps. If not, I'll have a closer look on that one.

Nizoral is great -I can attest to that- if it isn't regular dandruff, but something a little more persistent than that. I'd second going to the doctor esp. because your scalp is achy and bleeding.

natt i nord
June 1st, 2012, 07:21 AM
Yep, I will definitely see a doctor because of that, but it will take another few weeks until I get an appointment I think.

I'm asking for ideas to make it less itchy in the meantime :)

@red-again: What conditioner did you use?

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 10:39 AM
Sounds to me like Sebborheic Dermatitus, which is a particularly nasty form of Dandruff. In young children, S.D. is known as Cradle Cap. I have it. The symptoms are intense itching, quickly oily scalp from over production of sebum, bumps on the scalp which tend to re-occur in the same location about the head, these bumps itch quite intensively, then one scratches and bumps can bleed or weep, sometimes I have had to kind of pick them as one does with acne. Nothing pus-like ever comes out, usually only clear or slightly yellowish fluid. Then it dries, and the itchiness gets worse, if that's even possible. As it dries it forms a scale that doesn't come off.

1. To get some control initially, try Nizoral shampoo. That's what finally began much of the turnaround for me.
2. Wash more frequently. You will have to anyway if you use Nizoral.
3. Consider using an ACV or white vinegar or lemon juice rinse. (I did this for years, and it did help me.)
4. Do not apply anything to the scalp itself, such as oil or conditioner.
5. Scritch the scalp prior to a hair wash as this will help to loosen debris on the scalp and make hair washing more successful. S.D. is known to have tough sheets of dead scalp skin stick to the scalp around a given hair strand and not come off in a hair wash. Scritching helps with this aspect.
6. Condition the length only.
7. Very important: wash your detangling comb every time you wash your hair. I have a small fingernail scrub brush, and I use a bit of my regular shampoo and warm water and scrub the u between the teeth and the teeth themselves quite thoroughly and rinse. If you want, you can spritz this comb with part water/part rubbing alcohol as a kind of disinfectant. (OR run a plastic wide tooth comb through the dishwasher....) Wipe dry and let be in the air a bit to thoroughly dry.
8. Also, I highly recommend not using one side of a pillowcase any more than 2 times; flip the pillow, use that side 2 times; then wash the pillowcase, or change the pillowcase. That gets you about 4 days of use.....

There are two versions of Nizoral. OTC (Over the Counter) which has less medication that prescription strength. I did better on the prescription strength, but eventually I couldn't afford it, so I went with OTC version.

Now, I have also been able to use more regular shampoo that is sulfate-free. And a big help was using softened water, no longer hard water. I installed a water softener in my house. You can get shower head filters which can help, and I had to make do with that for a while. It helped but didn't resolve the intense itchiness. It didn't help that I was sleeping at a friend's house that wasn't the cleanest environment, either. He runs a shop, so it was a little bit tough for a while....

Also, talk to your doctor about this. Have them look at your scalp, itself, and provide a diagnosis. That will help too, cuz then you have definite info to work with while you look around online.

And you will have to wash your hair more frequently, although not daily. Don't share head tools, especially detangling tools; and don't attempt to stretch hair washes. It just creates bigger problems.

S.D. can contribute to a slight uptick in hair shedding if you don't keep after managing this condition.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yep, I will definitely see a doctor because of that, but it will take another few weeks until I get an appointment I think.

I'm asking for ideas to make it less itchy in the meantime :)

@red-again: What conditioner did you use?

I have now used 2 of Biolage's conditioners. I like both but I do prefer one over the other. My absolute fave is Conditioning Balm which is fairly viscous. The other that's ok but doesn't do as great a job at conditioning, for me, (my opinion here) is Hydrating Balm. This latter conditioner is more liquidy, and I don't like it as much at all.

I use it ONLY on my length, nowhere near my scalp hair. I allow my sebum to work its magic on the scalp related hair. I've got enough, mayaswell try to make it work for me.

heidi w.

Peter
June 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
I had this problem for a while. There was a thread about a month ago about using Listerine for itching and flaking. I've been using it for a month or so and it's been working very well for me, so you might want to try that?

natt i nord
June 1st, 2012, 11:09 AM
@heidi w. Thank you very much for that big post :)
Well, that gives me hope :wail:

7. Very important: wash your detangling comb every time you wash your hair. I have a small fingernail scrub brush, and I use a bit of my regular shampoo and warm water and scrub the u between the teeth and the teeth themselves quite thoroughly and rinse. If you want, you can spritz this comb with part water/part rubbing alcohol as a kind of disinfectant. (OR run a plastic wide tooth comb through the dishwasher....) Wipe dry and let be in the air a bit to thoroughly dry.
8. Also, I highly recommend not using one side of a pillowcase any more than 2 times; flip the pillow, use that side 2 times; then wash the pillowcase, or change the pillowcase. That gets you about 4 days of use.....
Why is that?

Well, I think I'll try urea shampoo until I saw my doctor - I'll keep that Nizoral in mind, but it's a bit expensive to simply try... Thanks very much for that idea, I'll try if urea shampoo doesn't get it better :)

Most of the parts heidi described really fit to my scalp - it's not extremely itchy, but the rest of it... yep. Well, at least it seems to be something that can be treated easily.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 11:14 AM
Until you can see a doctor, please try to do your best to avoid scratching, especially since your scalp is very dry and is bleeding in places. I would suggest using a very mild shampoo and perhaps even a rose water treatment for the scalp.

This link here is very informative on how you can use pure rose water to soothe your scalp and help with any inflammation:

http://makeupandbeauty.com/rose-water-hair-care/

I hope that it will help you.

She actually says the opposite in her post, that her scalp is oily.

Here's what she actually wrote, "When I'm scratching my scalp I always get some white stuff that is a bit greasy, too. Partly there are big dandruff with 2-3mm in average. "

While she's not specifically saying that her scalp is oily, she does say that stuff off her scalp is oily. Sebum produces when it builds up a tiny bit, a kind of white-ish (and it's particularly worrisome if it's gray or especially yellow-ish). Sebum is a waxy-ester which in common vernacular we tend to refer to as greasy. Sebum can easily be rolled into a ball, and in the instance of fairly severe Sebborheic Dermatitus, the ball can be grainy-ish, somewhat. You can feel it when you roll the ball around in your fingers. She also says she has fairly severe dandruff, already....and S.D. is a kind of dandruff, just an uptick in severity of dandruff. It is easy to have an outbreak of S.D. in this kind of environment. There is no known cure for S.D., merely only management of the symptoms. And you can't let it get the upper hand. Cutting hair off does not resolve the issue since the issue is at the scalp, itself. S.D. can easily lead to little infections of a sort.

So I interpreted this line as saying that her scalp is actually somewhat oily or greasy.....and that is a specific trait of Sebborheic Dermatitus, as is the itchiness, as are bumps that itch intensely, and so on. Her description sounds a bit like she may well have S.D., but a doctor's diagnosis will tell for sure. A dermatologist is needed for this diagnosis. A lot of Primary Care doctors do not really know of this condition. My first alert was from my hairdresser as he noticed red irritated bumps about my scalp which I never saw or felt. I ignored his recommendation to see a doctor for easily around ten years, and then things got so bad, I had to see someone. And that's when I got the concrete news.

I would strongly caution against using crazy ideas to address this problem. I hope you can see a doctor soon for them to have a looksee.

S.D. can set in at any point in time, whether you had it before or not. Mine set in pretty hardcore when I was in my early 40s, mid 30s. And it's been going ever since. It's a pain in the p'toosh. Itching begins about the third day after a full, fresh hair wash.
Scalp washing can also help manage the symptoms so you don't have to have your long hair wet ALL the time, or a lot of the time.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM
@heidi w. Thank you very much for that big post :)
Well, that gives me hope :wail:

Why is that?

Well, I think I'll try urea shampoo until I saw my doctor - I'll keep that Nizoral in mind, but it's a bit expensive to simply try... Thanks very much for that idea, I'll try if urea shampoo doesn't get it better :)

Most of the parts heidi described really fit to my scalp - it's not extremely itchy, but the rest of it... yep. Well, at least it seems to be something that can be treated easily.

One can re-introduce bacteria on to the scalp which can then lead to an outbreak, so wash your comb!! And pillowcase, because it can spread on to your face or around the hairline.

Urea shampoo. Urea is known as a kind of bowl fluid. Why would someone name their shampoo Urea. Lots of kidney conditions have urea as part of the name. hmmm.

I thought Nizoral was pricey also, but it helped me to manage my symptoms a whole bunch. And if you do indeed have an infection brewing, you're gonna want this shampoo. Please note I also suggested sulfate-free or low shampoo, too.

I wish you luck with this shampoo, but if my experience says anything, Nizoral was the first time I had any sort of relief. I used Nizoral for about 10 years, until I found a better solution to manage the symptoms. I still experience the symptoms, but at a much lower level than before. Some days I would just go around itching my scalp almost all day.

heidi w.

natt i nord
June 1st, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you very much again, you're a great help :)
Maybe my doctor has another idea what shampoo I could use, but if not, I'll try Nizoral.

red-again
June 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
The conditioner was a natural one, weleda.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thank you very much again, you're a great help :)
Maybe my doctor has another idea what shampoo I could use, but if not, I'll try Nizoral.

Remember, there are 2 forms of Nizoral: OTC strength, and Prescription Strength. I did best on the Prescription strength one, but it became hard for me to afford in Unemployment land, so I eventually found another resolution.

heidi w.

lapushka
June 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Remember, there are 2 forms of Nizoral: OTC strength, and Prescription Strength. I did best on the Prescription strength one, but it became hard for me to afford in Unemployment land, so I eventually found another resolution.

Now I'm curious. How did you manage to resolve this without the Nizoral? My SD is *very* mild and if I use harsh shampoos (washing twice, once full strength, once diluted), it's not going to come back in quite a while, not as bad in any case.

letibear
June 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification, heidi w. I wrongfully assumed that the flakes/itchiness were correlated directly to a dry scalp.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification, heidi w. I wrongfully assumed that the flakes/itchiness were correlated directly to a dry scalp.

A lot of people make the same assumption. There are all kinds of skin maladies, and dandruff is only one of them. There's exzema, psoriasis, other kinds of situations that involve plaques, and so on. Think of it this way....all dandruff has white flakes as part of this malady; however, any white flakes does not necessarily mean dandruff.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Now I'm curious. How did you manage to resolve this without the Nizoral? My SD is *very* mild and if I use harsh shampoos (washing twice, once full strength, once diluted), it's not going to come back in quite a while, not as bad in any case.

S.D. does come in degrees of the level of problem it poses. I am somewhat severe, although not as bad as I have seen. Among those that I've met with S.D. overall, my situation is far worse than their situation.

I am not allowed to say what vendor/manufacturer shampoo I use on LHC. That vendor is against LHC regulations to mention. I can't even mention it in PMs. So, I'm sorry that I cannot share what I currently do for my condition.

I can say that having softened water, not the incredibly hard water this area tends towards, has helped a whole bunch. I also no longer use ACV rinses or any kind of rinse, which I did for a long time.

I'm sorry that I cannot thoroughly answer your question.

heidi w.

Konstifik
June 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
I've dealt with those exact problems for several years with no remedy. Until some time ago when I tried mixing neem, amla, cassia and som EO's into a treatment. I put it on my scalp for about an hour, then washed it out with as little shampoo as possible, and massaged some coconut oil onto the scalp afterwards (some of the herbs are a bit drying). I've repeated the treatment two times (once per week).
This has reduced the flakes and itching A LOT. 80% is gone I'd say. And hopefully even more after the next treatment. :)

Maybe something to try?

lapushka
June 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
S.D. does come in degrees of the level of problem it poses. I am somewhat severe, although not as bad as I have seen. Among those that I've met with S.D. overall, my situation is far worse than their situation.

I am not allowed to say what vendor/manufacturer shampoo I use on LHC. That vendor is against LHC regulations to mention. I can't even mention it in PMs. So, I'm sorry that I cannot share what I currently do for my condition.

I can say that having softened water, not the incredibly hard water this area tends towards, has helped a whole bunch. I also no longer use ACV rinses or any kind of rinse, which I did for a long time.

I'm sorry that I cannot thoroughly answer your question.

heidi w.

That's okay, Heidi! I seem to remember there was this one vendor that isn't talked about, can't recall the name, though.

Delila
June 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM
Just chiming in with some more encouragement.

I've been coping with what I thought was 'just' dandruff, but it turns out to be psoriasis.

Nizoral seems to be helping me in conjunction with some hydrocortisone cream. I go back next week for some followup advice, and maybe a change in routine.

I'm still hoping this is a temporary problem that will totally resolve itself, I'm SO tired of having an itchy head, and the flakies are just so gross. (after having had no discomfort for years once I figured out which haircare stuff my scalp is sensitive to.) I've never had to cope with flakes before, and wow, can I sympathize with people who have coped with this long term. Yikes.

Best of luck in finding a solution. :)

red-again
June 2nd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Just had another thought, what about monistat?

constructamane
June 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I HAD a dry, itchy scalp. Didn't notice dandruff. I used an itch relief, scalp soothing shampoo and conditioner by Head and Shoulders which helped. THEN...I started to grow my hair and STOPPED HIGHLIGHTING my hair.I no longer have the itching, and I no longer have to use Head and Shoulders!!!I use Pantene shampoo, conditioner and deep condition 1 time per wk.

crazy_girl89
June 8th, 2012, 02:00 AM
I too am having an itchy problem and maybe some of you can help as well. I have no dandruff; as weird as it sounds, I never get flakes or anything. The most I ever get are dead skin cells under my nails from scratching, but I have to scratch really hard to get that. My hair does gets oily though. I have to wash everyday or else I look like a little grease ball. I completely removed all products with SLS in them, and I'm currently trying Toadstool (Just started using her products last week). I also notice that I'm itchy more at different times of the day, by night time, I'm scratching like crazy - this also correlates with when I shower. I'm a morning time shower person, and I'm also heavily itchy right before showering. With the exception of seeing a dermatologist... any suggestions? Prior to reading this thread, I hadn't thought about this being a yeast problem. Has anyone had any successful yeast balancing treatments with their hair? This itching has got to stop lol

natt i nord
August 23rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Update:

I finally got to see a dermatologist and he didn't mention Sebborheic Dermatitus, but said it probably was a eczema.
I got a resolution to apply twice a week and some shampoo that should prevent the eczema from coming back.

DinaAG
August 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
vinegar rinses always help me with that and after my hair is dry i massage my scalp with 100% natural cream or oil

StephanieP3
August 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I have the same problem (no oily or greasy problem though) and I started using a like 95% natural shampoo and conditioner and it still isn't helping. I've also tried at home hot olive oil treatments, to no avail.

heidi w.
August 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Update:

I finally got to see a dermatologist and he didn't mention Sebborheic Dermatitus, but said it probably was a eczema.
I got a resolution to apply twice a week and some shampoo that should prevent the eczema from coming back.

Exzema's cause is somewhat unknown, so you're probably in this for the long haul.

I'm sorry.
heidi w.

heidi w.
August 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks you two :) I didn't hear of Nizoral yet, but I'll try my mother's urea shampoo in the meantime and see whether it helps. If not, I'll have a closer look on that one.

Rose water is a great idea, I'll surely try that. Thank you very much :)

I would think that Urea shampoo which is named after urine would be highly acidic and possibly a problem for an experiment even, if it's really made from real urine of some kind of animal or human.....The name just scares me.
A lot.

heidi w.