PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair really IS affected by the way it is cut... UK salon recommendation!

Freija
May 31st, 2012, 03:26 PM
There are so many unhappy haircutting threads here - so I want to post my own very, very, very happy version. : )

I went for a trim today, to try to get some shape put into my hair. I have fine cherub curls, but my hair is quite thick. I had given up and typed myself as a 2b/c, because my hair was so flat from scalp to ears and on washday there would be a few spirals, but they always went flat overnight. Honestly, I looked more like a 2a/b if I hadn't just washed it.

I had the most gentle, careful cut of my life. The stylist actually brought strands round to the front while he was cutting them to show me what he was doing. He explained every single thing before he did it. He made me feel that my hair was very beautiful and special, treated it with respect, and complimented me a lot on its condition, softness and shine.

He dried it gently with a little product and a diffuser, and got me to lean backwards out of the chair with my hair hanging loose so he could dry it properly. He explained how to use a diffuser, but completely embraced the idea that I prefer to let my hair dry naturally. He then called his daughter over (a beautiful little girl with masses of golden, coppery blonde curls) to demonstrate on her hair how to use a towel and product to style it while wet.

I walked out of the salon beaming, full of confidence and truly loving my hair for the first time in my life. It is undeniably 3a hair! While my stylist worked, he explained what my last hairdresser (and every one before!) had done wrong: they had used thinning shears on the ends of my hair, cut it in clumps and left all the weight in one place. He corrected that, and still only took about 3/4 of an inch off: he completely respected that I'm growing my hair, and will tailor the shape as it grows.

The hairdresser is Thomas - he runs a salon called Cox McMillan in Clapham, London. I can pass on his e-mail address if anyone wants it: he's more than happy to talk to you before you decide whether you want to go for an appointment. If you said that Freya Badger (me) recommended him, you'd get 20% off your appointment and I would, too! : p

faellen
May 31st, 2012, 03:37 PM
So nice that you had such a great experience, sounds like a gem of a hairdresser! I'll definitely keep that name in mind next time I'm in London!

RitaCeleste
May 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
WOW! I love happy hair stories. I'm usually whining about the bad stuff. I've about given up hope of ever going in for a cut again. However, there is this tiny little part of me that longs to go be pampered once in awhile. You give that part hope that one day I'll feel brave again and go.

moxamoll
May 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
I wonder if The Consort would think it was worth a trip overseas to get a good haircut? :eyebrows:

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Wonderful! Too bad I am absolutely nowhere near London ;). I have many times asked hairdressers the best way to cut my hair so that the waves/wurls actually work for me and not against me, but most have no clue. I have very, very mixed hair, unfortunately which means some bits are quite straight and others curly. I would love to find someone who understands my hair!

dwell_in_safety
May 31st, 2012, 04:06 PM
Oh, he sounds superb! If I could find a hairdresser like that, I would probably go twice a year or so, and only trim myself every other trim.

Slug Yoga
May 31st, 2012, 04:24 PM
I wanna see pics! :D

spookyghost
May 31st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Wow-you are so lucky! I would love for a hair salon experience like that. You can tell that the hair dresser loves hair and loves what he does. Good for you! If I lived anywhere near you, I'd be there in a heartbeat.:p

Covet
June 2nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
I wanna see pics! :D

This! I want pics too! :)