PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ladies Who Do the Honey Lightening

daffodil7
May 31st, 2012, 11:25 AM
Okay. I've gone as far as I'm willing to go with dye, and I also used vitamin C to remove old dye.

By the way, ladies, vitamin C lightens your hair significantly. I left it on a little too long I think though because I got greedy and I think you should probably not exceed 12 hours. I don't know if it got any lighter after that point, just dryer maybe.

Also, pre-dye coconut oiling for at least 2 hours, garlic shampoo and conditioner, reconstructor, heavy duty dc moisturizing, infusium and protein leave ins are essential. I don't think you should do any dye process without doing those things.

Okay, enough of experience, here is my question. I plan to put honey in my deep conditioner without heating it to allow it to lighten if it wants to. I have also really wanted to try honey lightening, but the idea of honey diluted with water dripping down my neck for 8 hours just seems miserable. I want to sleep in it several nights a week, and just wish that mixing it with conditioner would give results, but from everything I've read it seems people are only getting results with a 1 to 6 honey and spring water type of dilution.

For you ladies who do honey treatments over night or leave this watery stuff on all day, how do you tolerate this, and how do you apply it to your hair without making a mess?

meteor
May 31st, 2012, 01:40 PM
I tried it with a spray (takes a LONG time to apply) and with a squeeze bottle (much faster, a bit messier), then I put my hair in a plastic cap and turban towel on top. This way it doesn't drip much at all. Oh, and I reapply after an hour or two. However, I haven't seen any lightening effect except for on my highlights. Honey does add shine though. I did it maybe 5 times now with 1:6 dilution (tap water).
I am kind of giving up and will simply continue putting honey straight in the conditioner mix, hoping for some lightening to occur over time.

daffodil7
May 31st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Thank you for your answer.

I saw on youtube that a girl lightened her hair with honey by accident b/c she used it in her conditioner and that was the only new thing she had used. I think it only went down maybe a shade or two, and I think this happened over the summer. But I mean if I can get a shade or two every 6 months or less, that's not so bad.

My roots are taking the color perfectly. It's just the ends had some older black semipermanent on them that makes them darker. The vitamin c lifted them a whole lot, and some color did take, so they are only like 2 or 3 shades darker than the roots. I think closer to 2, but I think long term use of honey might be the best solution to safe lightening and I might just take the long route with conditioner. I just feel like application drippies will be all over my bathroom that I don't see and it will eventually get sticky with ants or some pest. I think the turban idea is good for the wait time though.

jojo
May 31st, 2012, 08:32 PM
it is drippy and sticky i wont lie! but i put cling film over the top and then roll a towel length ways and wrap this round the edges, i look a twerp but it works and ive always had excellent results from it with zero damage, just be careful to rinse well or you can get honey residue which can make your hair feel damaged.

GlennaGirl
May 31st, 2012, 08:56 PM
I know the latest on honey was to dilute it with water, but I never did, and I got lightening anyway. I always put mine in conditioner. Then I double-bagged and microtowel wrapped it. It stayed in there really well without dripping. :)

For the few drips that did happen around my face (because my glasses always hold the towel outward a little at my temples), I stuffed a few cotton balls and was GTG.

daffodil7
June 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
I know the latest on honey was to dilute it with water, but I never did, and I got lightening anyway. I always put mine in conditioner. Then I double-bagged and microtowel wrapped it. It stayed in there really well without dripping. :)

For the few drips that did happen around my face (because my glasses always hold the towel outward a little at my temples), I stuffed a few cotton balls and was GTG.

GlennaGirl, thank you for your answer. How long do you leave your honey and conditioner on? What was the timeline of your lightening results?

Logi Bear
June 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Honey worked great for me! I have dirty blonde hair with natural highlights and after using honey my highlights pop out and my hair looks like I have spent a whole summer in the sun. However if I don't mix the honey with a little bit of conditioner first It tends to dry out my hair.
I do try to be careful about where i get my honey from though, not all bee farms are fair to their bees.

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Honey worked great for me! I have dirty blonde hair with natural highlights and after using honey my highlights pop out and my hair looks like I have spent a whole summer in the sun. However if I don't mix the honey with a little bit of conditioner first It tends to dry out my hair.
I do try to be careful about where i get my honey from though, not all bee farms are fair to their bees.

That's very good of you to care about where the honey comes from, not everyone thinks of it.

betsb
June 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Lightening my hair w/honey is actually how I found TLHC. I dyed my hair the wrong color and tried to find ways to organically lighten it. It took about 25 washes (literally) to lighten it enough where I felt comfortable. In the beginning I was washing it twice a day. I used honey and water and conditioner, wrapped it in a plastic shower cap you get from hotels and put a towel around my shoulders to catch the drips. It was messy but it helped a lot. However, that was the first and last time I did this. Personally, I wouldn't sleep in it.

Kherome
June 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Okay. I've gone as far as I'm willing to go with dye, and I also used vitamin C to remove old dye.

By the way, ladies, vitamin C lightens your hair significantly. I left it on a little too long I think though because I got greedy and I think you should probably not exceed 12 hours. I don't know if it got any lighter after that point, just dryer maybe.

Also, pre-dye coconut oiling for at least 2 hours, garlic shampoo and conditioner, reconstructor, heavy duty dc moisturizing, infusium and protein leave ins are essential. I don't think you should do any dye process without doing those things.

Okay, enough of experience, here is my question. I plan to put honey in my deep conditioner without heating it to allow it to lighten if it wants to. I have also really wanted to try honey lightening, but the idea of honey diluted with water dripping down my neck for 8 hours just seems miserable. I want to sleep in it several nights a week, and just wish that mixing it with conditioner would give results, but from everything I've read it seems people are only getting results with a 1 to 6 honey and spring water type of dilution.

For you ladies who do honey treatments over night or leave this watery stuff on all day, how do you tolerate this, and how do you apply it to your hair without making a mess?

Vitamin C is citric ACID, so of course it lightens and dries out the hair. They use it keep fruit from browning when canned, and they use it to whiten Holly wood in hair toys.