PDA

View Full Version : Annibelle's Long-Awaited Blood Test Results!

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
So... ever since I joined LHC over a year ago, people have suggested that I get blood tests done to see if there was a medical reason for my hair losing thickness about six years ago, as well as most of it not really growing below BSL.

Well, I just got my blood test results back today. It looks like there's no medical reason for my hair issues. The only thing I'm deficient in is vitamin D (which the doctor wants me to start supplements for IMMEDIATELY because it's extremely low). I can't find anything online that correlates vitamin D deficiency with hair loss, so I guess taking these supplements won't help my hair. (I'll still take them anyway, of course-- my bones have ached for years off and on, and I guess that's why!)

I was hoping that I would be able to regain that thickness, and that I could grow my hair longer, but it looks like that won't be happening, as I suppose these things are just how my body works.

That's all! I just wanted to update everyone on my blood results, as it was something that was frequently mentioned when I would discuss my hair issues. :flower: Thanks for reading! And if you have any thoughts to suggest that vitamin D actually DOES affect hair growth... I'd love to hear them! ;) Give me hope if you dare! :p

heidi w.
May 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Here's what I found online. Do not know how authoritative these articles are.

http://vitaminddeficiencyhairloss.net/

http://www.womentowomen.com/womenshealth/femalehairloss.aspx (search for Vitamin D, and it'll get a hit under Causes for Hair Loss.....this is specifically focused on women's hair loss concerns)

http://vitaminddeficiencyhairloss.net/vitamin-d/hair-loss/vitamin-d-deficiency

Here's a list of all the "hits" I received when typing in the search term Vitamin D deficiency and hair loss
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=vitamind+d+deficiency+and+hair+loss&oq=vitamind+d+deficiency+and+hair+loss&aq=f&aqi=g-l1g-lK2g-lm1&aql=&gs_l=hp.3..0i13j0i13i30l2j0i13i5.1544.10000.0.1193 4.39.26.2.4.4.0.1217.8658.0j13j6j2j0j2j1j2.26.0... 0.0.rRMS5jEVcPU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=9d9dcaa2837e9782&biw=1024&bih=429

I would discuss all this with your doctor. If you're also lacking in other nutrients in any way, you could potentially be anemic or borderline anemic which can absolutely cause an uptick in hair shedding. It'll be slow enough you may not notice it for quite some time, until you happen to notice the hair volume is simply thinner.

There's a ton to know about women's hair loss concerns, and most doctors don't think it's a big deal, really.

I am sorry to hear you have this problem. I hope you find some sort of solution in time.

heidi w.

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks SOOOO much for the information, Heidi! I think I understand now. I guess the hair loss isn't typically mentioned as a side effect of D deficiency because it's not usually extreme hair loss? Like, I lost an inch of ponytail circumference-- going from a ii/iii to a medium ii, instead of something drastic, like iii to i. So my hair loss wouldn't look extreme to anyone but me.

Thanks for restoring my hope! ;) I think I'll be able to grow thicker hair! And even if the vitamins don't help with that, they'll help my bones and muscles, so I'll be able to exercise more, which could help my hair, too. :D

BeckyAH
May 31st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Adding to Heidi's links:
http://dermatology-s10.cdlib.org/1602/reviews/vitamind/rashid.html

bunzfan
May 31st, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks SOOOO much for the information, Heidi! I think I understand now. I guess the hair loss isn't typically mentioned as a side effect of D deficiency because it's not usually extreme hair loss? Like, I lost an inch of ponytail circumference-- going from a ii/iii to a medium ii, instead of something drastic, like iii to i. So my hair loss wouldn't look extreme to anyone but me.

Thanks for restoring my hope! ;) I think I'll be able to grow thicker hair! And even if the vitamins don't help with that, they'll help my bones and muscles, so I'll be able to exercise more, which could help my hair, too. :D

I'm glad you went and got tested and that the dr found out what they did, i remember you saying you were vegetarian/vegan so i was wonder if you had tried the protein shakes for upping your protein i have been taking them a while and have noticed a big improvement in my hair thickness.

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 11:40 AM
Adding to Heidi's links:
http://dermatology-s10.cdlib.org/1602/reviews/vitamind/rashid.html

Thanks! It's kind of hard for me to understand the scientific language, but it's nice to read something that looks reputable!

I'm glad you went and got tested and that the dr found out what they did, i remember you saying you were vegetarian/vegan so i was wonder if you had tried the protein shakes for upping your protein i have been taking them a while and have noticed a big improvement in my hair thickness.

I tried a couple of protein shakes but they were so nasty I didn't continue. Your story makes me want to try again, though!!! What kind of protein do you use? I did soy and it didn't mix at all; and I'm going vegan, so I'm avoiding whey. I saw one at the store made of sprouts... I wonder if that would be better?

And have you found that mixing them with something special helps? Like, a type of milk that is best to use, or maybe a fruit?

Thank you!!! :flower:

Amber_Maiden
May 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Glad you got tested! At leads you know you need Vit D now!

Neecola
May 31st, 2012, 11:42 AM
So glad that the report came back that you are healthy, aside from the vitamin D which is easy enough to supplement.

It seems reasonable that fixing this deficiency will help your hair, as well as your overall health.

Best of luck!

bunzfan
May 31st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks! It's kind of hard for me to understand the scientific language, but it's nice to read something that looks reputable!

I tried a couple of protein shakes but they were so nasty I didn't continue. Your story makes me want to try again, though!!! What kind of protein do you use? I did soy and it didn't mix at all; and I'm going vegan, so I'm avoiding whey. I saw one at the store made of sprouts... I wonder if that would be better?

And have you found that mixing them with something special helps? Like, a type of milk that is best to use, or maybe a fruit?

The one i was using had soy and whey in it which would be no good for you but, i blend mine up and add fresh or frozen fruit if i can afford it , do they sell tasters? then you could find out if you like it before buying a big tin. I mix mine with milk i couldn't drink it with just water and people have mentioned on here that my hair looks a lot thicker. I notice you've got a new picture up your hair looks much thicker in my honest opinion . I hope you work it out because i know if i would you it would effect me greatly to :flower:

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 11:48 AM
The one i was using had soy and whey in it which would be no good for you but, i blend mine up and add fresh or frozen fruit if i can afford it , do they sell tasters? then you could find out if you like it before buying a big tin. I mix mine with milk i couldn't drink it with just water and people have mentioned on here that my hair looks a lot thicker. I notice you've got a new picture up your hair looks much thicker in my honest opinion . I hope you work it out because i know if i would you it would effect me greatly to :flower:

No, the store only has big tins. :( But I could just buy one and force myself to use it up. :) I might mix it with almond milk and some sort of fruit... something to really mask the taste.

I keep measuring-- hehe-- but my hair hasn't gotten any thicker. It appears to have, though, because of my newfound waves that I'm learning to take care of! :cheese: Thank you!

jeanniet
May 31st, 2012, 11:57 AM
I take D supplements because I'm also quite deficient without them, but I can't say that it affected my hair any. Don't let anyone tell you that your D levels will be fine with more sun, either. I live in California and get a good hour or more of sun a day.

bunzfan
May 31st, 2012, 12:16 PM
No, the store only has big tins. :( But I could just buy one and force myself to use it up. :) I might mix it with almond milk and some sort of fruit... something to really mask the taste.

I keep measuring-- hehe-- but my hair hasn't gotten any thicker. It appears to have, though, because of my newfound waves that I'm learning to take care of! :cheese: Thank you!

Thats great about liking your waves, my hair only appears full because of the co washing ;)i find shampoo flattens it.

swearnsue
May 31st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just an idea for improving the taste of your protein powder. Put it in a blender with half a banana, some cocoa, a little peanut butter and soy milk and ice cubes. And you don't have to use the full scoop of protein powder, use just enough that it doesn't taste too bad. The ice cubes make it cold so that improves the flavor and the peanut butter is good for hair growth too but don't remember why. Hershey's cocoa powder doesn't have any sugar in it so it's concentrated flavor so use just a little, like a tsp or 2.

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 01:05 PM
Just an idea for improving the taste of your protein powder. Put it in a blender with half a banana, some cocoa, a little peanut butter and soy milk and ice cubes. And you don't have to use the full scoop of protein powder, use just enough that it doesn't taste too bad. The ice cubes make it cold so that improves the flavor and the peanut butter is good for hair growth too but don't remember why. Hershey's cocoa powder doesn't have any sugar in it so it's concentrated flavor so use just a little, like a tsp or 2.

Sounds good! :cheese: I'll try it! :D

Becky9679
May 31st, 2012, 01:15 PM
I use a protein powder that's made from pea protein, I prefer it to the soy ones. My health food shop also has a hemp based one.

Regardless of the type I use I always have to put something else in for flavour, it tends to be bananas and other mixed fruit.

torrilin
May 31st, 2012, 01:17 PM
I take D supplements because I'm also quite deficient without them, but I can't say that it affected my hair any. Don't let anyone tell you that your D levels will be fine with more sun, either. I live in California and get a good hour or more of sun a day.

My Dad's vitamin D was so low he was having cognitive impairment. It has taken more than a year of rigorous supplementation and my mom making him spend as much time as possible outside with the maximum possible bare skin to bring his levels up to fairly normal. (picture a short, fat elderly lady yelling at her husband to go sunbathing in speedos and you won't be far off)

He doesn't argue much with mom about it either. He's a food scientist, and he's always preaching that for essential nutrients, you should go the belt and suspenders route. Get more than the minimum required, and don't hesitate to supplement the water soluble nutrients.

It's not yet clear to me whether the hair thinning he's been having is partly due to poor nutrition or not. We know he's not carrying the family male pattern baldness gene, but since his old knee injury got really bad (around 7 years ago), his hairline has been receding at a really high rate. He and I got diagnosed with D deficiency around the same time last year, so I wouldn't expect obvious results in his hair for another year or so yet.

That's the hard part with deficiencies... you generally have to treat them as a chronic illness. And it can take quite a long time for your body to get used to having all the nutrients it ought to have.

Tisiloves
May 31st, 2012, 01:25 PM
:scissors:

:scissors:

The online stores usually have really cheap sample packs, maybe you could try a few and find the best?

MsBubbles
May 31st, 2012, 01:37 PM
... and my mom making him spend as much time as possible outside with the maximum possible bare skin to bring his levels up to fairly normal. (picture a short, fat elderly lady yelling at her husband to go sunbathing in speedos and you won't be far off.

LMAO! :rollin:

Interesting, about the cognitive impairment. :hmm:

KwaveT
May 31st, 2012, 01:54 PM
My epilepsy medication literally inhibits Vitamin D absorption so I take a 2000 IU pill every single day though. I take the vitamin D as far away from my medication as I can usually about the middle of the day since I have take my epilepsy medication morning and evening. I do that and get sunlight by walking every day. I have had no problems with it. My hair is thick and grows relatively quickly and is not prone to damage.

GlennaGirl
May 31st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I had (well, have...but I supplement now) a vitamin D deficiency and I can't even tell you the difference it's made in my energy level to supplement. I can't say it's made my hair grow faster or thicker but I have to think that if you had thinning before because of too little of it, then getting *enough* of it should get your metabolism going again, including hair growth. (Growth in general tends to slow down when the metabolism slows down, and the metabolism tends to slow down when there isn't enough vitamin D.)

It is fantastic that you found one possible answer to not only your hair but your health in general.

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 01:58 PM
Well, my doc wants me to take 50,000 IU once each week. I guess that means I'm very deficient? :hmm:

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Ohhh, I'm so glad to hear it improves energy!!! I didn't see that on any lists. I thought I just had another problem. Sometimes I'm so fatigued for no good reason that I fall asleep driving. I'm always tired. I hope the D changes that...

GlennaGirl
May 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Well, my doc wants me to take 50,000 IU once each week. I guess that means I'm very deficient? :hmm:

It could be your starter dose...do you go down in dosage after three months or so?

GlennaGirl
May 31st, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ohhh, I'm so glad to hear it improves energy!!! I didn't see that on any lists. I thought I just had another problem. Sometimes I'm so fatigued for no good reason that I fall asleep driving. I'm always tired. I hope the D changes that...

Oh honey, I am telling you. HUGE difference. I have had energy problems forever. I have a deficient thyroid as well and that seems to be the root of all these tiredness issues...but one concurrent (is that the correct usage of that word?) issue with hypothyroid is, often, low Vitamin D.

I never in a million years would have thought of Vitamin D as an issue...for heaven's sake, I live in Southern California. :p

It will take a while for you to actually feel effects, but it will happen once you're up to a good amount and on D maintenance. Hang in there...just hang in, help is on the way. :)

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 02:01 PM
It could be your starter dose...do you go down in dosage after three months or so?

I don't know... he didn't even talk to me about it; the receptionist called me to tell me she was placing a pharmacy order for me today. But if Kwave is taking 2k per day, that's 14k per week, so 50,000 still sounds like a lot to me...

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh honey, I am telling you. HUGE difference. I have had energy problems forever. I have a deficient thyroid as well and that seems to be the root of all these tiredness issues...but one concurrent (is that the correct usage of that word?) issue with hypothyroid is, often, low Vitamin D.

I never in a million years would have thought of Vitamin D as an issue...for heaven's sake, I live in Southern California. :p

It will take a while for you to actually feel effects, but it will happen once you're up to a good amount and on D maintenance. Hang in there...just hang in, help is on the way. :)

Horrah! :cheer: I'm feeling so much better about this. I'm gonna go check the pharmacy now. :D (Though after reading stuff online I'm pretty sure the supplement won't be vegetarian so I'll have to request a new one... *sigh* )

joflakes
May 31st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Glad you found out about your deficiency and I hope taking your large supplement works! I'm intrigued now and am Googling to find out about vitamin D!

xoxophelia
May 31st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hey, I'm glad to hear you have nothing serious going on.. as in, no chronic conditions. Just throwing this out there also, but you could get some Simply Orange orange juice. I drink some because it has calcium and vitamin D. Since I don't eat dairy that is pretty helpful. It is really good too :3

I'm also not certain, but I think it is about that time of year here in the DC area where we are able to get vitamin D from the sun so maybe some short 5-10 minute sun bathing sessions would help you also? That should still be short enough to not get any major color on burn.

SnowWhite
May 31st, 2012, 02:41 PM
My mum had the same thing! She comes from Mexico but there's almost no sun here in Holland, see? The doc said that it's something very common for foreigners.. Of course, your case is different :)

A tip: I don't know if you're an obsessed sunscreen user.. Because sunscreen also blocks your skin from absorbing vitamin D... So being in the sun some time without sunscreen will help you too, but make sure you don't get burned of course :)

Mum had also very little energy and she feels much better now that she takes the supplements!

I hope it will help you too! :)

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hey, I'm glad to hear you have nothing serious going on.. as in, no chronic conditions. Just throwing this out there also, but you could get some Simply Orange orange juice. I drink some because it has calcium and vitamin D. Since I don't eat dairy that is pretty helpful. It is really good too :3

I'm also not certain, but I think it is about that time of year here in the DC area where we are able to get vitamin D from the sun so maybe some short 5-10 minute sun bathing sessions would help you also? That should still be short enough to not get any major color on burn.

I've been drinking the Simply Orange with D for a few years now, but apparently my D levels are dangerously low... I also take a daily vitamin with D in it.

I don't think I can get much D from the sun. See, I neither burn nor tan when I go in the sun. My skin resists the sun. I was in the sun a couple of weeks ago from 10 am to 4 pm (in 90 degree sunny weather) and didn't get even slightly darker or burned. I think my skin refuses D. O_O

ETA: I also don't wear sunscreen, so I dunno what's wrong with my skin. o.o;

xoxophelia
May 31st, 2012, 02:55 PM
I've been drinking the Simply Orange with D for a few years now, but apparently my D levels are dangerously low... I also take a daily vitamin with D in it.

I don't think I can get much D from the sun. See, I neither burn nor tan when I go in the sun. My skin resists the sun. I was in the sun a couple of weeks ago from 10 am to 4 pm (in 90 degree sunny weather) and didn't get even slightly darker or burned. I think my skin refuses D. O_O

That is really odd. Even though you supplement to still have it so low. Also, generally the lighter your skin is, the more easily you absorb vitamin D from the sun (a main driving factor for a lighter skinned adaptation far from the equator). Regular sun exposure over most of your skin is still something to try out though.

Laying out for short periods is one way I am planning on dealing with my deficiency. I think sometimes the supplements can also be difficult for our bodies to make full use of.

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 03:04 PM
I don't know, well, ANYTHING about nutrition :p but I thought that the D absorbed as you tan? So if you aren't tanning, you're not absorbing D? (But I did know that the lighter skin absorbs D more easily.)

moxamoll
May 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Of course I can't find the link now... :( But there's a group here at the U of Calgary doing very interesting research into Vitamin D. They are suggesting the minimum supplement should be 4000-5000 IU per day. The Consort and I started taking 3-4000 IU in the summer and 4-6000 IU in the winter and about 6 months later, I had an opportunity to have my Vit D levels checked. I STILL came back borderline low!!

BTW, you don't absorb Vit D from the sun, the UV rays hitting your skin cause your body to MAKE Vit D. It's kinda cool! However, the new research seems to be showing that even living in very sunny climates and spending lots of time outdoors will barely get you close to producing optimal levels. If you live off the equator? Forget about it!!

Anyway, since I started "mega-dosing" I've had fewer colds and I didn't really get the winter doldrums that usually set in around Feb. I have too much sleep disturbance right now to judge if it's making me any smarter though. :silly:

xoxophelia
May 31st, 2012, 03:19 PM
I don't know, well, ANYTHING about nutrition :p but I thought that the D absorbed as you tan? So if you aren't tanning, you're not absorbing D? (But I did know that the lighter skin absorbs D more easily.)

I'm not sure about the mechanism for vitamin D production but I think building a tan or having more melanin progressively blocks the amount of vitamin D absorbed. *researching*

Okay I just found a useful link to explain the process:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Dehydrocholesterol

I study chemistry so I'm not sure how comprehensive this is for those outside of the field but I think this is very informative also:

http://www.endotext.org/parathyroid/parathyroid3/parathyroidframe3.htm

Also, you can get a tan or a burn but if the wavelength of the light (effected by the season) is not correct, you will not produce vitamin D. I looked it up before but don't remember the date for when that really starts here.. I think it was some time in early June...

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the info, gals! :D I'm gonna try getting a bit more sunlight then. If I remember correctly, morning sun is the best?

Mayflower
May 31st, 2012, 03:23 PM
Of course I can't find the link now... :( But there's a group here at the U of Calgary doing very interesting research into Vitamin D. They are suggesting the minimum supplement should be 4000-5000 IU per day. The Consort and I started taking 3-4000 IU in the summer and 4-6000 IU in the winter and about 6 months later, I had an opportunity to have my Vit D levels checked. I STILL came back borderline low!!

BTW, you don't absorb Vit D from the sun, the UV rays hitting your skin cause your body to MAKE Vit D. It's kinda cool! However, the new research seems to be showing that even living in very sunny climates and spending lots of time outdoors will barely get you close to producing optimal levels. If you live off the equator? Forget about it!!

Anyway, since I started "mega-dosing" I've had fewer colds and I didn't really get the winter doldrums that usually set in around Feb. I have too much sleep disturbance right now to judge if it's making me any smarter though. :silly:

That's really interesting! My grandmother is always nagging me that I must have vit D deficiency because I'm so pale (in her mind having fair skin = being very sick:p) but I eat a lot of eggs and a fair amount of fat fish. Do you know if it could hurt to take a vitamine D-supplement anyway? No ill effects? I have a very sensitive digestive system and multivitamins always messes things up (if you get what I mean) because I'm pretty good in most vitamine departments.

Mayflower
May 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM
By the way Annibelle, I'm glad you've figured out what's wrong! And that it's not something serious.

Tisiloves
May 31st, 2012, 03:34 PM
Also, you can get a tan or a burn but if the wavelength of the light (effected by the season) is not correct, you will not produce vitamin D. I looked it up before but don't remember the date for when that really starts here.. I think it was some time in early June...

I know that above the 37th is March through September, but I'm pretty sure it's only significant portions of the day close to midsummer as sun angle is also influenced by time of day.

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM

Try the Sunwarrior raw vegan protein powder! It's made from sprouted whole grain brown rice, and doesn't taste bad at all (I had some rice protein powder that was just BLECH). http://www.sunwarrior.com/product-info/classic-protein/

Oh, and as for Vitamin D, make sure you supplement with the right type! I believe it's D3 that you need in order to really correct deficiencies, and don't be afraid to take a relatively high dose (higher than currently recommended) as it's believed (by many health authorities) that the recommendations really aren't high enough. Sun is also good, and you're now entering summer so it's a good time for you to get some Vitamin D the natural way :D.

(Now I think I should go get some Vitamin D3 supplements too... winter started today :().

Kelikea
May 31st, 2012, 04:18 PM
I like Spirutein brand protein powder/meal supplement. It is great mixed with soy or almond milk, but not coconut. Full of protein and lots of vitamins, and tastes good, too. I think it is vegan as long as it is not mixed with dairy (and not their whey version).

moxamoll
May 31st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Oh! Oh! The Consort found the link for me! Vitamin D research here. (http://medicine.ucalgary.ca/about/vitaminD/Hanley) This was just an interest story, but you can google the doctor and find more in depth stuff. Note that they recommend talking to your doctor - I remember reading more of the paper and it said somewhere that the factors affecting Vitamin D absorption were proving to be more complicated than originally thought and some people just need more. (At least until they figure out how to improve absorption!)

jaine
May 31st, 2012, 04:31 PM

What time of day is your sun exposure? I ask because the body only produces vitamin D in response to UVB light - not UVA. Most places get UVA light throughout the day, but UVB at midday only. So for vitamin D purposes, 15 minutes at noon is much more useful than an hour in the morning or late afternoon. Also the skin has to be exposed to produce vitamin D (no SPF, no makeup, etc)

Charybdis
May 31st, 2012, 04:45 PM

Annibelle, are you by any chance part Native American? I'm about 1/8 Chickasaw, and I'm very pale but don't burn all that fast (and don't change color much either). While I will start turning pink after about an hour in direct midday Texas sun, I take about twice as long to start burning as my equivalently pale friends who don't have any Native American ancestry. However, I've had my Vitamin D levels checked in the past and they were really good. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm just curious about whether other pale-skinned descendants of Native Americans notice anything unusual about how long it takes them to burn in the sun.

jeanniet
May 31st, 2012, 05:42 PM
What time of day is your sun exposure? I ask because the body only produces vitamin D in response to UVB light - not UVA. Most places get UVA light throughout the day, but UVB at midday only. So for vitamin D purposes, 15 minutes at noon is much more useful than an hour in the morning or late afternoon. Also the skin has to be exposed to produce vitamin D (no SPF, no makeup, etc)
It depends--morning, midday, afternoon. I'm out quite a lot, depending on the day. No sunscreen, no makeup. I am somewhat darker skinned, though.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information about UVB rays, but it's not correct. UVB is one thing that serious tortoise owners are well-educated about--I have a number of friends with solar meters who've measured in various areas of the US and elsewhere, and there are indeed substantial UVB rays throughout the day, including cloud cover and shade. The levels are highest at midday (actually around noon to about 2:30), but they don't just disappear the rest of the time. Here's a quick look at UVB levels in a couple of areas: http://russiantortoise.org/uvb.htm (scroll down for the meter readings). There's a more complete listing somewhere, but I'll have to look for it.

ETA: OK, here's a more complete picture of UVB levels worldwide. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/uvinnature.htm You can see from the graphs that in some areas in Northern latitudes the UVB levels do drop very low at certain times of the day and with cloud cover, etc., but I imagine this is probably fairly common knowledge in those areas. You can see that reptile owners are pretty fanatical about UVB!

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Annibelle, are you by any chance part Native American? I'm about 1/8 Chickasaw, and I'm very pale but don't burn all that fast (and don't change color much either). While I will start turning pink after about an hour in direct midday Texas sun, I take about twice as long to start burning as my equivalently pale friends who don't have any Native American ancestry. However, I've had my Vitamin D levels checked in the past and they were really good. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm just curious about whether other pale-skinned descendants of Native Americans notice anything unusual about how long it takes them to burn in the sun.

As far as I know, my heritage is completely northern European (mostly Polish, Dutch, German, and Irish). Of course, this knowledge is based on hearsay, and it's possible that a Native American slipped into the muddled bloodline at some point... but both of my parents react quite a bit to the sun. My dad tans very deeply very easily and my mom gets very spotty very quickly. I'm sort of the oddball in my family...

torrilin
May 31st, 2012, 08:18 PM

That's around how Dad's supplementation started. So yes, you were very deficient. I don't recall the exact details, but eventually (VERY eventually) you'll shift to dosing more on an every day basis.

I get tests every 6 months to track my vitamin D levels, spring and fall. My deficiency was relatively minor, and was officially cleared up after the second test. I dunno that Dad's is officially cleared up yet. I don't think it is, tho I don't think his doses are still at the really high levels. Last I recall, he was at maybe twice a week? Even so, a lot of his joint troubles and digestive troubles are doing better. The cognitive stuff is continuing to be scary, but part of why we caught this is there's a huge amount of early onset Alzheimer's disease in the family. One of the first things a neurologist will do in that case is check your vitamin levels, because our brains really need proper nutrition to work right.

Figure if your body responds really well, it'd take a year or more to get up to normal levels, and then 1-3 years for there to be enough hair that you can clearly see whether there was an effect. So just like long hair is a really long view project... so's this.

Silverbrumby
May 31st, 2012, 08:50 PM
A good link for Vit. D def. http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Supplements sound like the way to go and I also tested low for Vit D and have had major shedding on and off for a few years now.

beachgirlla
May 31st, 2012, 08:54 PM
I remember when my sister had hyperthyroid 2 years or so back she also had Vitamin D deficiency, something was related to it in someway with the thyroid and her hair was thin, pale, dry, brittle and she lost a lot of it and she still suffer a bit even after her thyroid got normal by itself!!, some drs do not do all thyroid tests including the TSH? or T3 and T4, they do one test and for her particular case two of them were normal and the TSH (not so sure) was not normal. Just telling you this so you can check with your dr if he checked everything, my sister did not even have any thyroid symptoms other than fatigue.

I too accutane 12 years back for acne and it healed my acne but what I noticed is that my hair on the crown area (or whatever we they call it) always thin and get damaged easily, it was so thick before the take the accutane, I read somewhere that accutane does that, so for me this is permanent and its been like that ever since, even though I only took accutane for 3 months.

So you probably need to check other reasons that is causing your hair problems, other than the Vitamin D, could it be something you are taking even some special veggie?, could it be underlying reason like hyper or hypy thyroid and so on :)

SurferB
May 31st, 2012, 09:18 PM
A change of diet can cause hair loss. Also, a lack of vitamin D can, too, cause hair loss. I know, because I'm a nutrition major.

AnqeIicDemise
May 31st, 2012, 10:16 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned or not, but remember to EAT when you take your D3s. I've been taking a higher dose of D3 tabs (which I also know don't absorb well) for about a year and I had not been getting any better.

Turns out I was peeing the supplements out. I had completely forgotten that vit D is a fat soluble vitamin that needs to be taken with food (hence why milk is fortified with D). Some chef. That was like.. basics 101 in school. -facepalm-

jaine
June 1st, 2012, 05:59 AM
Here is a helpful article about how to get vitamin D from sunlight. It is affected by skin type...lighter skin needs less time to vitamin D production. There is only enough UVB for vitamin D production at midday.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-to-get-your-vitamin-d/uvb-exposure-sunlight-and-indoor-tanning/

bunzfan
June 1st, 2012, 06:49 AM
I'm so glad you posted about this actually i'm pretty sure i could be deficient to both my dad and my sister had the same problem and my dad was that bad he had injections, i often get really tired maybe i should get tested. Thanks Annibelle.