PDA

View Full Version : One length hair - best to stop hairfall?

Flossiebell
May 31st, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hi All

I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this somewhere but I cannot find it if it does exist.

I am having major hairfall, and my scalp is tender with it (which is a new one on me - could be reaction to the sun? not burnt though). Have been to the doc and he said to use anti-dandruff shampoo (don't have dandruff) every day (eek) for 2 weeks and then see how it goes and see if it becomes apparent that I have a form of alopecia. In the next breath he said that I don't seem stressed, and I don't have alopecia? Am using baby shampoo at the moment, not putting harsh dandruff shampoo near my head.

I'm really confused now, so am looking for advice please. My question is does having hair cut all one length reduce hairfall? I'm sure I've seen something about it a long time ago?

Any comments gratefully received.

Thank you in advance x

didrash
May 31st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hm, I think I read somewhere that hair in all one length reduces damage, but I don't think it would apply to falling - falling is a problem of the roots and scalp. The same way cutting hair does not immediately influence hair growth, I do not expect it to help for shedding, sorry. If the problem persists, do seek medical help, it could be something easily fixed with the right medicine.

Mesmerise
May 31st, 2012, 06:49 AM
Well I believe Dr George Michael said something about hair of all one length shedding less... but I'm afraid I fail to see how this could possibly occur. Seriously, if your hair is exactly one length across the back, it is MANY different lengths over the entire head!! So yeah... I can't see how it would stop shedding AT ALL.

(However, if someone can offer some sort of proof I'd be happy to hear about it!).

Anje
May 31st, 2012, 07:06 AM
No, I don't think cutting your hair to one length will stop your follicles from shedding. I firmly believe that the follicles have no idea what happens to the ends of the hair.

You should definitely rule out any deficiencies or hormonal imbalances early, as these are common culprits of hairloss. Particularly common are thyroid problems, anemia and low ferritin levels, and shedding after giving birth or going off of hormonal birth control. You should rule out internal problems before assuming that the problem originates at your scalp, for your own overall health if not for your hair. Stress can also cause shedding, and I've read around here (and would agree based on my own experience) that it tends to strike about 3 months after the stressor has occurred.

Washing daily with an anti-dandruff shampoo might help if you either have a fungal infection on your scalp, or have a problem like seborric dematitis (which for some people improves if the scalp is kept very clean). You might be wise to switch to a different shampoo anyway, though. Baby shampoo tends to have its pH set to something that won't sting the eyes, somewhat more alkaline than what is ideal for the scalp and hair.

spidermom
May 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM
As Mesmerise said, there is no such thing as "all one length". Due to shedding and regrowing, we all have hairs of different lengths, from barely emerging out of the hair follicle as a new hair to - for me- classic length hairs. Just do what you can to take care of your health - getting enough sleep and relaxation, exercise, water, a good diet - and your hair will respond.