PDA

View Full Version : shampoo bars... :)

gonzobird
May 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Okay. Heres what I think.

I love shampoo bars. I think they are a great way to gently "clarify" your hair. I wash my hair only every 4 to 5 days, and I use a shampoo bar prob once every six weeks or so. (or when I feel I need it) Heres why....

(In my opinion) It just can't be good to constantly be lifting your cuticle. Constantly stripping your head of its natural barrier. And constantly closing your cuticle with acid rinses. Even if it is once or twice a week. Its seems like a lot of unnecessary roughness on the hair.

That said, I love them. love love love them. I am just wondering, does anybody else feel this way? I'm not saying I know all by any means, its just how I feel about the situation.

I wish there was a shampoo bar with a ph of 5. That would be they absolute perfect bar. :)

gonzobird
May 30th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Oh my....

Has anyone tried THIS????

Im ordering it right now. :)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65516603/solid-shampoo-bar-with-coffee-all

Littlewing13
May 30th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah I've considered that. It doesnt feel like its damaging though. Liquid shampoo feels much worse.

Not 100% sure, but if you add something acidic to a shampoo bar, wont the acid react & turn it back into the original lye & oil & water? or at the very least make your bar mushy?

I just tried a bar for the first time. I think it had too much oil. The more I washed the more my hair went waxy.

Bene
May 31st, 2012, 12:06 AM
I use shampoo bars whenever I wash my hair, about 1-2 times per week. And I finish off with an ACV rinse. Every single time. It's been more than 2 years. Can't say I've noticed any damage, breakage, dryness or waxiness. Hair pics are in my album, judge for yourself.

As far as I know, shampoo bars aren't for clarifying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I've considered that. It doesnt feel like its damaging though. Liquid shampoo feels much worse.

Not 100% sure, but if you add something acidic to a shampoo bar, wont the acid react & turn it back into the original lye & oil & water? or at the very least make your bar mushy?

I just tried a bar for the first time. I think it had too much oil. The more I washed the more my hair went waxy.

You're not actually adding acid (vinegar) to the shampoo bar. Treat it like shampoo and conditioner, you have to make sure one is completely rinsed out before going on to the next step.

Also, from what I understand, the waxy feeling could possibly be from leftover residue from other products. I started shampoo bars from scratch, as in I clarified with baking soda the wash before actually using shampoo bars.

letibear
May 31st, 2012, 12:25 AM
gonzobird, please be sure to let us know how that Coffee Shampoo works out! I may just have to try it!

curlsgalore
May 31st, 2012, 12:54 AM
Oh my....

Has anyone tried THIS????

Im ordering it right now. :)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65516603/solid-shampoo-bar-with-coffee-all

Ooooooo I want one too!! :eyebrows:

gonzobird
May 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM
The coffee soap is on its way. :) ill do an update when i get it.

Tota
May 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM
I love my Godiva shampoo bar from Lush. I'm currently on CO routine but will use Godiva today just because it makes my hair soooo voluminous and bouncy :D

PoppyCakes
June 1st, 2012, 07:12 AM
I use a bar with pretty similar ingredients to the coffee one.
It's this bar: http://ethicallyengineered.myshopify.com/products/the-black-and-tan-vegan-organic-beer-soap
And then i use my Lush 'Jungle' Bar.
I have had very good results with them, my hair absolutely loves them!

PrairieRose
June 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM
I have been searching for a good routine for my hair. I recently started using shampoo bars and I love them.:D

Littlewing13
June 1st, 2012, 11:49 PM
I use shampoo bars whenever I wash my hair, about 1-2 times per week. And I finish off with an ACV rinse. Every single time. It's been more than 2 years. Can't say I've noticed any damage, breakage, dryness or waxiness. Hair pics are in my album, judge for yourself.

As far as I know, shampoo bars aren't for clarifying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're not actually adding acid (vinegar) to the shampoo bar. Treat it like shampoo and conditioner, you have to make sure one is completely rinsed out before going on to the next step.

Also, from what I understand, the waxy feeling could possibly be from leftover residue from other products. I started shampoo bars from scratch, as in I clarified with baking soda the wash before actually using shampoo bars.

Sorry I wasn't too clear there, I meant if you were to make a shampoo bar with something acidic in it to balance the pH, it would actually reverse the reaction & turn the bar to mush, rather than it being a nice solid shampoo bar. I read one recipe online that mentioned adding vinegar & wondered about that myself. But no, thats the reason for the separate vinegar/acid rinse.

In my case the waxiness wasn't residue as I did a clarifying baking soda rinse twice. I suspect the bar was too superfatted for my hair type.

gonzobird
July 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I tried two different cv bars, both made me shed like crazy and irritated my scalp. Toooo high ph for my bodies liking i guess. Dang.

rock007junkie
July 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Girl, I got what you need. You need to try Bobeam's bars!!
-They don't need an ACV
-Leave her soft, soft, soft
-You don't get that waxy feeling with them...therefore no ACV!!!

She's on Etsy, Curlmart and Sagenaturalceuticals. I personally reccommend the Cheris hibiscus bar but they are all awsome. Before you give up on shampoo bars try this one please. You won't be sorry :-)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BobeamProducts?ref=ss_profile

Also, the girl is a sweetheart. Superfast shipping too. If you have any questions let her know

Louise148
July 12th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Girl, I got what you need. You need to try Bobeam's bars!!
-They don't need an ACV
-Leave her soft, soft, soft
-You don't get that waxy feeling with them...therefore no ACV!!!

She's on Etsy, Curlmart and Sagenaturalceuticals. I personally reccommend the Cheris hibiscus bar but they are all awsome. Before you give up on shampoo bars try this one please. You won't be sorry :-)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BobeamProducts?ref=ss_profile

Also, the girl is a sweetheart. Superfast shipping too. If you have any questions let her know

I have just ordered one of these from this seller (the Cheris Hibiscus bar). I'm in the UK so not sure how long postage will take but I can't wait they sound great.

rock007junkie
July 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I have just ordered one of these from this seller (the Cheris Hibiscus bar). I'm in the UK so not sure how long postage will take but I can't wait they sound great.

You will like them. I promise.

Louise148
July 13th, 2012, 02:31 AM

The seller just contacted me to say she has posted my order out. Probably take a week or so to reach the UK. Can't wait to give these bars a whirl. :D

Shiranshoku
July 13th, 2012, 02:40 AM
How do you actually use a shampoo bar? Do you chip a piece of? Or just soap your hands and then your scalp?

Louise148
July 24th, 2012, 08:57 AM

This shampoo bar arrived last week and I have now used it twice and really like it. My fine hair feel a (very) little bit more substantial.

I also have some goats milk conditioner on it's way from Etsy which I believe was another of your suggestions. I get very excited about getting things like this in the post. :happydance:

EndlessSunshine
July 24th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I love co washing but lush stuff smells sooooooo good.

feb26
July 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM
To use shampoo bar: just lather while holding the bar. as you use it, it'll gradually disintegrate (but will take a month or more!!) i lather both top & bottom of my hair & scalp