PDA

View Full Version : I'm wearing my hair down dang it!

MissTulip
May 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I wear my hair down almost all the time when I leave the house. Sometimes I'll throw a hat on but I still usually have my long curly ponytail hanging out of the back lol.

I feel like, I waited all these years and finally got my routine right in order to have my hair at (almost) goal length, so I'll be damned if I don't enjoy it! What if, God forbid, I were to get cancer? Or it just falls out as I get older? I'd be so mad at myself for not enjoying my hair while I had it.

Yes, I have some damage like the white ends and some SSKs sometimes, but it's still in pretty good condition and still growing! (Knock on wood)

Ok..rant over :p

nobeltonya
May 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Exactly! I'm the same way. :D :disco:

MissTulip
May 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Exactly! I'm the same way. :D :disco:
Heehee cool! Good to know I'm not the only one! ;) :D

uptosomeone
May 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think you should wear it how you enjoy it. The majority of the people who wear their hair up genuinely enjoy it that way, so they do...but if you don't, don't force yourself to wear it up, and don't feel guilty about having it down! Especially if you're fine with the amount of damage you incur from it. :)

Nedertane
May 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM
My hair's not that long yet (just barely waist), but yeah, I much prefer to wear it down. I kind of treat it like a favorite article of clothing - I take care of it, wash it gently, try not to get it dirty or in harm's way, but it's not a museum relic, it's something for me to enjoy, so I'll enjoy it as much as I can!

akilina
May 30th, 2012, 12:13 PM
My hair isn't long really at all but I love to wear it down.
Why not? It probably doesn't help with keeping damage at bay but I just can not stand having my hair up with my face shape and body. It makes me look like a pin head.
When and if my hair is ever long I will probably do the same thing :)
I'd much rather enjoy it than wear it up all the time.

Bianca
May 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Always wear mine down too.... :)

Alva
May 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I do the same most of the times. For me personally long hair is of no use when it is always up. Some people might not agree, but for me it is there to enjoy, not to be put away daily. :)

MissTulip
May 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks Uptosomeone...I agree. Some people look fabulous with the gorgeous buns & updo's and obviously love creating them. I don't feel like it becomes me though (perhaps laziness is part of it too lol)

My hair's not that long yet (just barely waist), but yeah, I much prefer to wear it down. I kind of treat it like a favorite article of clothing - I take care of it, wash it gently, try not to get it dirty or in harm's way, but it's not a museum relic, it's something for me to enjoy, so I'll enjoy it as much as I can!
THIS! Exactly! Well put :)

MaryRose
May 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I used to wear my hair up most days of the week as it was growing out to my goal (waist). Now my hair is actually starting to feel long (just above waiste) and I love wearing it down when I go out.

MissAlida
May 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Wear it down and enjoy it. I wear it down often, now that it's not too cold, nor too hot here. I enjoy it most when it's down. Yes it rubs on clothes and bags ans stuff, but we are taking good care of it, so we should be allowed to enjoy the benefits. Don't feel guilty for it.:)

Ocelan
May 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I usually try to keep my hair up when I'm not dressed up aka. when I otherwise don't look my best either. But when I go out and dress up I really want to wear my hair down or half-up since it suits me so much better and it gives me confidense. Only if my hair is quite dirty and I have to go somewhere I wear it up. Plus it's only been some years that I've "dared" to keep my hair down since I was so much teased by my "friends" in school when I had my hair down, which made me keep it tied up in some way for atleast 12 years. So I'm enjoying it now, damnit! :)

UpNorth
May 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I´m planning on having my hair down when my hair reach my goal! Well, its down a lot today too but I want my hair long as soon as possible without more damage:)

shutterpillar
May 30th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Mine is down the majority of the time, except for if I am going out on windy days (detangling is a mess) if it is really hot outside, I am exercising, or doing a lot of tiring work.... like giving the dog a bath. :P

OH, and a few times a week I will put it in a french braid overnight after oiling, but any other time it is down.

Ticky
May 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I never wear mine up when I go somewhere, it is either down or in a braid. You aren't alone :D

amantha
May 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Wear mine down all the time too :) Only time when it's up is when it's dirty and I don't feel like washing it that day but need to leave the house, I'm exercising, it's super hot or windy outside. That's it. :D I don't really plan on growing my hair below my hip and it's only at waist right now, so it works. Plus even when I do put it up, it ends up driving me nuts all day because my hair is super slippery. Within 30 minutes my bun has slid almost all the way down my head.

Topaz
May 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I would love to wear my hair down outside and let it enjoy the sunshine, but the Texas humidity makes it frizz like crazy and if there's even a slight breeze then my hair blows like a maniac and I can't see a danged thing; plus the resulting tangles! So I almost always bun or braid it when outside --- BUT when I'm inside, either at home or at the office, at a friend's house, whatever --- it's almost always down and loose. Safely inside, it's down and loose at least 98% of the time. Like you, I didn't grow it just to hide it and I love the feel of it flowing down my back. But unfortunately, my hair and the great outdoors simply do not mix :(

MissManda
May 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I hair up vs. hair down ratio is about 50:50. I don't mind wearing my hair up because it keeps it out of harm's way and gives me something challenging to accomplish, plus it makes me look like a mean lady so people leave me alone when I'm out in public. I do like having the skill to put it up when I need to when I do have it down. I do love to wear my hair down a lot, too, though and while I can see the practicality and logic of wearing it up all the time, I want to enjoy having my hair down like the rest of you. Plus, if I wear my hair up all of the time and only wear it down very rare occasions, how am I going to learn how to adjust my body movements as it gains more length? When I wore my hair in a braid all day, every day, I never learned how to adjust to all of that hair when it was loose and was rather clumsy with it. I'm not aiming for terminal length, so I don't see any harm in the potential damage that leaving it down can cause.

luxepiggy
May 30th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I quite agree. Ironically, before I found LHC I wore my hair up most of the time. But now that I've learned all these new tricks, it looks so much nicer, so I wear it down all the time because I feel like it deserves to be seen! (^(oo)^)v

MasCat
May 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Well, I wear my hair down when I play my harp. Other than that it gets in the way, so I wear it up, because it's more comfortable for me :)

But yes, you should do what you enjoy :D

Pixie0763
May 30th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Up or down for me is mostly temperature driven. I'm very hot natured (menopausal); so it's up in the Summer, down in the Winter. AND This is the first Summer it's been long enough to pull up in ~10 years!

spidermom
May 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I enjoy hair-down days from time to time, but really - it annoys me when it's down. Things like the seatbelt mechanism grab it, etc. So it's more convenient up, but when I have the time to pay attention to it and enjoy it, I let it down. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

MissTulip
May 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the responses...you gals are funny with the visuals :)

OK, so I don't wear it down ALL the time I guess. When I work out, it's always up or under a bandana. Baby bathtime it goes up (or when she's eating since I'd end up with a lovely babyfood puree hair mask!) Also, when I don't have time to rinse it, I'll bun it for sure because of the curly tangles, the lint or whatever else it may have attracted while I slept haha :p

ouseljay
May 30th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm jealous. I found that I can't wear mine down often or it stops getting longer somewhere between mid back and waist. Fragile, I guess. Personally I want it long even if that means keeping it up most of the time (which I don't love, but it does keep it from trying to eat nearby objects at least). If I could have it get to hip+ and wear it down most of the time, I would!

dwell_in_safety
May 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I always have mine up, though I do particularly enjoy it when it's down for detangling, or drying after a shower. :D The difference in the health of my hair that has occurred due to perpetually wearing it up is pretty great, and I'm not about to give that up; plus, I like that not many people know how long my hair is, outside of housemates. Haha. The last time most saw it down, it was APL; now it's at BSL. I get crazy frizz when I wear it down, too, unfortunately. Honestly, if it weren't for that, I would probably still wear it down once a week or so. I love the feeling of hair tickling my arms, especially my elbows when it's longer.

Amber_Maiden
May 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yep. I went through a few months of wearing my hair up with sticks- but now it's down in low ponytails usually. I like it better this way.

PolarCathy
May 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I don't look very flattering with my hair down at this length. I hope I will like it as it grows longer :cool: But if I did, I would just wear it down myself. What's the point of having healthy, split-free hair if it's never worn down?

pepperminttea
May 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
(perhaps laziness is part of it too lol)

Funny how much people differ - laziness is what drives me to wear mine up most of the time. :) If I wear it down, I have to make a commitment to spend a lot more time than usual that evening detangling it, and that's not something I want to do every night really. If it's been bunned all day, detangling is much, much easier.

spidermom
May 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I don't look very flattering with my hair down at this length. I hope I will like it as it grows longer :cool: But if I did, I would just wear it down myself. What's the point of having healthy, split-free hair if it's never worn down?

The point is to keep it healthy and split-free and out of the way.

faellen
May 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I do the same most of the times. For me personally long hair is of no use when it is always up. Some people might not agree, but for me it is there to enjoy, not to be put away daily. :)

Definitely agree!

I'm only BSL at the moment, but I wear my hair down often. Long hair is to be displayed in all its glory, in my opinion!

Firefly
May 30th, 2012, 02:30 PM
You are not alone-- mine is more often down than up!

Suze2012
May 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Meeee tooooo!

But I never put it up, nor in a hat. Unless it's fancy dress.. (rare)

Enjoy it you! :)

nobeltonya
May 30th, 2012, 03:09 PM
It seemed like when my hair was shorter, starting around shoulder-length, I used to ALWAYS wear it up in those messy buns wrapped around a hair elastic.. I'd never wear my hair down.. but now that it's long, and especially since waist or so, I've made a conscious effort to wear it down when possible.. and since I've started conditioning and using leave-in, I've noticed my hair doesn't tangle nearly as much as it used to. I used to have horrible tangles around the nape of my neck, especially in the winter [from turtle necks or jackets], which seems like it was most-likely caused by dryness.. plus, I wasn't nearly as aware of windy days or other times where I really should wear it up.. and I didn't have hair sticks until last summer. Life savers! :D Now I've gotten a few other toys [just from Wal-Mart so far] to make all kinds of nifty up-dos when I do put it up: upzing!, modern updo pin, spin pins.. still need a fork or 2, some nifty hair sticks [I just have plain ones from Sally's], a flexi-8 and maybe a ficcare. :disco:

RitaCeleste
May 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mine is down more than up. When I put it up it always pulls in spots so I might have to put it up four times to to get it up and comfortable. I love wearing it down. I'm okay with damage. My hair is always shedding and regrowing. I swear its trying to layer itself! My texture of hair always looks damaged anyway so there is no point in going for ends no amount of means will achieve. I picked up my meadowfoam seed oil and coconut oils and I'm itching to treat it to a treatment of some concoction. I love conditioning and doing treatments and I grabbed a year's supply of plastic caps at some point. I'm nice to it but I let the fur fly more often than not!

nobeltonya
May 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Yep, I've tried wearing it up, but it usually comes down in an hour or 2 due to pulling on my scalp.. so if I want to keep it up, I'll change it several times throughout the day.. leaving it down doesn't require anything else.. just easier. :)

AlannaMaria
May 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Glad you're enjoying your hair the way you want to! : ) Personally, I love experimenting with different braids, buns, and the like. Also, for work I prefer to keep it up as a safety precaution (wouldn't want my hair getting caught in a conveyor belt). I love the look of hairsticks, but not on me, so sometimes I use elastics that aren't LHC-friendly. As long as you're enjoying your hair, do what you want.

Mesmerise
May 30th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Lately I've worn my hair up because it just looks so awful when down :(. BUT if I always planned on wearing my hair up every day forever, I wouldn't bother growing it long at all ;). My hope, of course, is that given time my hair WILL look nice when I wear it down and THAT is the reason I am growing it!!!

Long_hair_bear
May 30th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I wear my hair up a lot in the summer, but I prefer to wear it down when I have a choice. I love my length and showing it off. A bit vain, I know, but I can't be too vain yet as I dont have gossamers length. Lol

ouseljay
May 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
What's the point of having healthy, split-free hair if it's never worn down?
In my case, it's less healthy and definitely not split-free when I wear it down. :( So for me it's either healthy and mostly split-free, and mostly up (what I do) or ratty with every hair split and not getting any longer, and mostly down (what I used to do). I'm envious of, oh, everyone in this thread. :o

Nymphea
May 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I wear my hair down very often, too! I wear it down whenever I feel like it. I try to be careful not to catch my hair into anything, not to put it in a situation where it could tangle a lot (for example, I will not wear it down on windy days or on the occasions where I'll have to mingle with a lot of people - for example, I dont wear it down at the parties or in the club).

I treat my hare as careful as I can, but I enjoy it wearing it down anytime I want. As I can see, I don't catch too many splits by wearing it down.

ladylowtide
May 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM
The first couple days after I wash it is down or half up. When the length is bouncy but the canopy is meh...ponytails! When it starts looking lank I put it in braids. When its a disaster... it is time for the buns!

I love buns, they make oily hair look pretty and shiny.

But in all seriousness, I love down hair, half ups, and down braids. Its getting longer, I want people to notice! :D

DayDreamerDani
May 30th, 2012, 04:34 PM
For some reason I feel that I damage my hair more when I try to put it up. When I start using elastics and Bobby pins and socks lol I end up tangling it. The frustrating part is that by trying to prevent damage by keeping hair up, I end up creating it! I suppose I'm not very good at updos. I've always been horrible at braids. So my hair is usually up in a super fashionable scrunchie ;) lol or down. :) Im not quite rid of all my damage yet so I think I will enjoy having it down more as it gets healthier.

HumanBean
May 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'm about BSL now, or closing in on it anyway, and I wear it up more often than down. If I do wear it down it's usually in a half up. I think I am just enjoying all my new hair toys so much that I literally plan which one I will wear the next day and the hairstyle and outfit to go with it (that could be a thread in itself, outfits planned around hair toys)!

jeanniet
May 30th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I like wearing my hair up, especially when it's warm, but I do like wearing it down and often do when I'm home and in the house. We have so much wind here that if I wore it down outside it would be a) not nice looking; b) not nice feeling; and c) complete hell to detangle at the end of the day. I can enjoy it more when I know it's not going to take hours to get all the knots out. :p

spookyghost
May 30th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I almost always wear my hair down. If I put it in the sock bun its only at night so I can have some wave on my no-wash day! My dh hates when I wear it up. Which is fine with me because I hate wearing it up!:lol: We were running to Lowes one day and my hair was in a pony from working out and he asked me if Id wear it down while we went to Lowes. No problem except my hair looks awful after I have sweated and had it in pony. I took out the pony and had a nice pony circle in my hair, kinda like hat head, and it was messed up. I said you'd rather me wear my hair down looking this bad then in a neat pony wouldnt you-he said every day! Thank goodness we both like the same things!:p

catamonica
May 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Well, I wear my hair down once or twice a month. But if you want to wear it down, enjoy it.
It does feel good to wear it down once in a while.

Glenn
May 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I always wear my hair down... :)

For work, it's in a pony tail, however. This kind of brings me to a question, however. What is the most socially acceptable manner for a man with long hair to appear in public?

MagicAndMayhem
May 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I'm going through an ugly duckling stage with my hair right now, so it's always up :( I can't wait for it to grow about 2 inches longer so I can enjoy wearing it down all the time :)

Faux
May 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I almost always wear it down. And I flat iron.

CurlyCap
May 30th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Curly girl here. YEP, wear it down all the time.

My hair is not nearly as long as yours, but as I've been growing it, wearing it down hasn't had any negative effects. In fact, as long as my hair as the moisture and oiling it needs, it holds up fantastically.

I only wear my hair up for fashion or comfort, and I intend to keep doing so!

lundmir
May 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM
When I had it between APL and waist, I had it down all the time. From waist to hip, I had it up because I got too hot, it felt like a blanket!

Right now I'm between shoulder and APL, and I can't stand to have it down because it is so short. Once I hit APL, it will be down again!

jacqueline101
May 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I used to wear it down then started wearing it up once I reach my goal I might wear it down.

xoerincolleen
May 30th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I wear mine down all the time! I like myself a lot better with hair down. This might change now that it's getting hot though, because my hair is about hip and the longest it's ever been.

Glenn
May 30th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I wear mine down all the time! I like myself a lot better with hair down. This might change now that it's getting hot though, because my hair is about hip and the longest it's ever been.

I almost hate even wearing my hair in a pony tail, but it easier to manage that way. When I start routinely sitting on it, it's time for a trim.

MissTulip
May 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Funny how much people differ - laziness is what drives me to wear mine up most of the time. :) If I wear it down, I have to make a commitment to spend a lot more time than usual that evening detangling it, and that's not something I want to do every night really. If it's been bunned all day, detangling is much, much easier.

I can see how it's easier for you to put yours up, wow, with the length you have! (Gorgeous hair btw!)

My laziness (impatience or maybe just "experience" is probably a better term when it comes to my hair) has to do with the fact that mine tangles no matter what and it can be VERY curly at the ends which I really do try to care for. As strange as it sounds, the least damage I get is when I wear it down, but I do have a strict regimen...and, once I found the formula (timing mostly) it has remained long and strong!

The most manageable way for me (may not work for anyone else but again, least damaging) is to detangle with fingers and/or wide comb, while in the shower with a huge handful of Tresemme conditioner...rinse well, then immediately (while hair is soaking wet) jump out and distribute coconut oil on it. My crazy hair (add in, an extremely arid climate) dries so so fast that even as I'm trying to put the oil in, I have to be running my hands underwater at the sink, simultaneously, to trap moisture and avoid frizz...i.e. raised cuticles which=breakage...ugh :rolleyes:. My hair requires a strong holding gel right on top of the coconut also, in order to seal the moisture.

Sounds like a lot, but it only takes me about 15 minutes to do all of that, then my wild hair is tamed (while it's down/"let loose") and protected until the next time I wash it!! I'm talking...wind, rain, sleeping on it, whatever comes it's way (well, I still can't ever run my fingers through it, smoothly, unless it's immersed in water but...whatever lol)

Mononoke
May 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM
I wear my hair down quite a lot, but I usually wear it up when I'm out, for example on my way to the university (and then take it down once I arrive at the destination), because of it being too windy here.

MissTulip
May 31st, 2012, 12:06 AM
Everyone's hair is so unique! Love seeing the pics everyone posts. I'll post some of my hair in its "right out of the shower" state...and how it turns out after the "ritual" ;)

longhairedlady
May 31st, 2012, 12:10 AM
I wear mine up all the time, mainly because I am lazy and dont want to trouble with it! Do what makes you happy! :D

MissTulip
May 31st, 2012, 12:13 AM
Curly girl here. YEP, wear it down all the time.

My hair is not nearly as long as yours, but as I've been growing it, wearing it down hasn't had any negative effects. In fact, as long as my hair as the moisture and oiling it needs, it holds up fantastically.

I only wear my hair up for fashion or comfort, and I intend to keep doing so!

This!! Me too :)

Emme76
May 31st, 2012, 12:23 AM
Once my hair gets longer I am sure I will wear my hair down quite a bit. For now I need to wear it up. I am at that difficult stage between chin and shoulder :).

I say - enjoy your hair how ever you like it!!!!!!:D

Kome
May 31st, 2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah... I don't quite get the whole not wearing your hair down in public thing. I guess if it's a spiritual or personal thing, but simply to keep it healthy? Then what's the point? o.0

MissTulip
May 31st, 2012, 01:41 AM
I feel like this too for some reason.

MissTulip
May 31st, 2012, 01:52 AM
For some reason I feel that I damage my hair more when I try to put it up. When I start using elastics and Bobby pins and socks lol I end up tangling it. The frustrating part is that by trying to prevent damage by keeping hair up, I end up creating it! I suppose I'm not very good at updos. I've always been horrible at braids. So my hair is usually up in a super fashionable scrunchie ;) lol or down. :) Im not quite rid of all my damage yet so I think I will enjoy having it down more as it gets healthier.

Me too...I've been frustrated by a rogue strand that gets caught and end up snatching it right out of my head...I really suck at up-dos.

fluffybunny
May 31st, 2012, 02:13 AM
Good for you. I wear mine up because it bugs me when it catches on purse straps, seatbelts, hoodies, and so forth. I'm too lazy to be moving it aside all the time. Plus I really hate shedding in public, and I shed constantly. Damage avoidance is not a primary concern. I actually like the look of naturally damaged hair. It's more wild and beachy looking.

jadelouise
May 31st, 2012, 03:15 AM
i wear my hair down all the time except at night when i put it in a loose ponytail to stop it becoming a birs nest in the morning!

definitely feel a lot more feminine with my hair down though

henné
May 31st, 2012, 03:49 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. For me, the whole point of growing my hair long is to enjoy it while wearing it down ... the hair-dos are nice, but wearing it down is nicer :) Plus trimming regularly will keep the damage minimal ... I personally have no split ends - just a few tapered ends - and I wear it down most of the time and my favorite 'do' is a ponytail :D

embee
May 31st, 2012, 05:53 AM
When I was younger I wore my hair down always, longer or shorter. Now I *prefer* it up - I like the look.

Your hair is for *you*. If you want it loose and down, go for it. Just please put it up when you're working with machinery or fire. No point in pulling your scalp off or burning away all your growth! ;)

HairySherry
May 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM
I love wearing my hair down. Before joining LHC and learning about stretching washes and things, I would wash and dry my hair every day and it just hung straight down my back. I never did anything else to it. In fact, that's my biggest challenge now - figuring out HOW to wear my hair up when it's on it's 2nd or 3rd day of being dirty! I love seeing women out in public who have their long hair proudly on display. You spend so much time and effort getting to that length, show it off!

Firefly
May 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM
Agreeing with those that feel down is less damaging. All that twisting and turning and poking--even gently with hair friendly toys-- has caused some damage for me.

Besides, if I were going to wear it up all the time, I'd just keep it at BSL. I can do most of my favorite updos with that length hair anyway. :shrug:

That said, I do wear my hair up from time to time-- mostly to show off my favorite hair toys! :D

clarinette
May 31st, 2012, 08:01 AM
I don't mind wearing it up in the winter , honestly there would be no point , it's cold and rainy, I'm wearing mountains of clothes , no amount of hair would manage to make me look feminine anyway ....but from spring to the end of summer , my sexy's out and so is my hair :D I enjoy nothing more than sweating slightly under my hair and shaking my head to feel the wind blowing freshness on my neck....Ahhh summer ...

shutterpillar
May 31st, 2012, 08:02 AM
I always wear my hair down... :)

For work, it's in a pony tail, however. This kind of brings me to a question, however. What is the most socially acceptable manner for a man with long hair to appear in public?

I know this was a while back in the thread, but I wanted to add my two cents. I love it when men with long hair wear it in a braid. Of course, that would be next to having it loose. ;)

Quahatundightu
May 31st, 2012, 08:18 AM
I would prefer to wear my hair down all the time and that's what I used to do but it's so fine that I need to wear it up to protect it. Also it's long enough that it will just get in everything so I usually need to put it up for work for example and then just wear it up for the whole day. I like putting it up now but I definitely feel more like me when it's down :)

furnival
May 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM
I've worn my hair up pretty much 24/7 for the past couple of years and it has really helped me gain some length. I wouldn't normally dream of wearing it down but last night I had a gig in a pub and I was seized by a strange urge to let it down... So I did. It felt amazing and I was surprised at how long it was and how much of it there was- I felt like I was hiding inside it. It gave me a huge boost of confidence and the gig went really well and I got loads of comments about my hair- it's bright purple at the moment. I was running for the train at the end of the night and watching my streetlamp-shadow on the pavement with this big mane of hair flying all about as I ran... I got such a buzz out of it, maybe I'll let it down a little more often :p

Mayflower
May 31st, 2012, 10:59 AM
I'm the same way! I'm going to be honest, I don't like much of the updo's here, they don't seem to fit my personality/style and age I guess. I do love braids though. So I mostly wear my hair down if I can (not too hot or windy), wavy and with accent braids most of the time. But it's thick, so if I don't feel like having all that hair in my face, I wear a top knot or ponytail or some kind of braid.

I suppose it depends on your hairtype too, and how long you want to grow your hair. My hair's coarse so I can do a lot more to it than fine hair. And I only want to go to hip or tailbone so I'm not a freak about damage. I just like to enjoy it without worrying about this and that.

HairySherry
May 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've worn my hair up pretty much 24/7 for the past couple of years and it has really helped me gain some length. I wouldn't normally dream of wearing it down but last night I had a gig in a pub and I was seized by a strange urge to let it down... So I did. It felt amazing and I was surprised at how long it was and how much of it there was- I felt like I was hiding inside it. It gave me a huge boost of confidence and the gig went really well and I got loads of comments about my hair- it's bright purple at the moment. I was running for the train at the end of the night and watching my streetlamp-shadow on the pavement with this big mane of hair flying all about as I ran... I got such a buzz out of it, maybe I'll let it down a little more often :p

That is awesome!

DarkSky
May 31st, 2012, 11:15 AM
I enjoy nothing more than sweating slightly under my hair and shaking my head to feel the wind blowing freshness on my neck....Ahhh summer ...

This!!!!!:D

Also in contrast it keeps me warm in the cold air conditioned office building. I love long hair down which is why I ended up trimming 2.5 inches the other day to tidy it up.

BrightEyes
May 31st, 2012, 11:35 AM
I like to wear my hair down too and do most of the time. When I reach my goal length I plan on wearing my hair down half the time and the other half wearing it in updos. I already have a growing addiction to hairtoys:D

But I do agree, one of the main reasons I am growing my hair long is to enjoy wearing it down.

Carissamarie08
May 31st, 2012, 11:44 AM
I always wear my hair down!

Zindell
May 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM
I wear my hair down pretty much always :)

MissTulip
May 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
I don't mind wearing it up in the winter , honestly there would be no point , it's cold and rainy, I'm wearing mountains of clothes , no amount of hair would manage to make me look feminine anyway ....but from spring to the end of summer , my sexy's out and so is my hair :D I enjoy nothing more than sweating slightly under my hair and shaking my head to feel the wind blowing freshness on my neck....Ahhh summer ...

I love this feeling too!! :D

Ishje
May 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
I see your point :) but I think that there are so many nice updo's to make long hair pretty, in a bun or braid.
and then, when I do wear it down it feels extra special.
(I recently had a big haircut though, and my only option is to wear it down now couse it is to short, but I know I will start with updo's as soon as it is long enough)

fairystar32
June 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM
I always wear mine down except in the hot humid Brisbane summer.
I dislike my hair up and feel it breaks it.
Besides, I grow my hair long to enjoy it and see little point having it up all the time..

Glenn
June 1st, 2012, 11:57 PM
I know this was a while back in the thread, but I wanted to add my two cents. I love it when men with long hair wear it in a braid. Of course, that would be next to having it loose. ;)

I've always kind of wondered, so thank you for the reply. I have feedback from only one very skewed perspective, my fiance, and she says the same thing. :)

I've often wondered about public expression, however. I mean, people seem to like it, and it is somewhat rare that a man wears his hair so long here in the U.S. (mind you, I don't have any idea what international trends exist), but I've worried about proper etiquette.

For the most part I wear a hat to keep in out of my face when outside, usually, but it's not widely accepted to maintain wearing a hat indoors. I'm sure a braid is acceptable, and perhaps more acceptable than loose or even a pony tail, but I have no feel for this.

I can't braid my own hair, and though my fiance is frequently offering, I prefer it down - no pony tail, no braid, though a braid is exceptionally convenient when any physical task is required.

Again, thanks... I was sure that question slipped by the conversation. :)

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/GlennLHC/Hat.jpg

MissTulip
June 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
I've always kind of wondered, so thank you for the reply. I have feedback from only one very skewed perspective, my fiance, and she says the same thing. :)

I've often wondered about public expression, however. I mean, people seem to like it, and it is somewhat rare that a man wears his hair so long here in the U.S. (mind you, I don't have any idea what international trends exist), but I've worried about proper etiquette.

For the most part I wear a hat to keep in out of my face when outside, usually, but it's not widely accepted to maintain wearing a hat indoors. I'm sure a braid is acceptable, and perhaps more acceptable than loose or even a pony tail, but I have no feel for this.

I can't braid my own hair, and though my fiance is frequently offering, I prefer it down - no pony tail, no braid, though a braid is exceptionally convenient when any physical task is required.

Again, thanks... I was sure that question slipped by the conversation. :)

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/GlennLHC/Hat.jpg

I think your hair is awesome Glenn! I love men with long hair! Being in the music industry and also having many biker friends, I'm used to it and it's kind of the norm :)

Tia2010
June 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Before I found LHC my hair was always down (or in a ponytail if I needed it out of the way) and it grew just fine. Now I wear it up a lot because I want to give it every chance of getting to hip while minimizing damage.... Then I will probably wear it down a lot more.

But I'm learning fun braids and updos that I had never done before finding LHC, so I don't feel like I'm stuck as much as I use to be when my only choices were down or a ponytail.

LaFlor
June 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
I always wear my hair down when I'm out of the house. But at home I am usually doing something that requires my hair to be out of the way.

Glenn
June 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
I think your hair is awesome Glenn! I love men with long hair! Being in the music industry and also having many biker friends, I'm used to it and it's kind of the norm :)

Thank you, MissTulip. :) It must be an artistic or rebel thing for guys, huh? :)

Rosetta
June 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I wear my hair down almost all the time when I leave the house.

I always wear my hair down when I'm out of the house. But at home I am usually doing something that requires my hair to be out of the way.
I'm the same, mostly :) Hair down when out, up when at home. Though now with the warmer weather I do wear my hair up outside quite a lot, too; but in winter I never do, couldn't even fit an updo under my winter hats, it would look strange! :wink:

Exactly!

spidermom
June 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Glenn, my husband's doctor wears his hair in a single braid down the back always. The braid ends at tailbone length.

partlycloudy
June 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hear hear!

I also wear my hair down a lot. I'll put it up if walking in wind, but that's it, mostly.

And, now that I've stopped chemical dying and heat styling, I really haven't noticed any damage at all. Woohoo!

Glenn
June 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Glenn, my husband's doctor wears his hair in a single braid down the back always. The braid ends at tailbone length.

That is something that might be very rare to see here in the U.S. - a male doctor with long hair. In fact, in all my years, I don't believe I ever have.

spidermom
June 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I've worked around doctors all my career as a medical transcriptionist, and this is the 2nd male long-haired doctor I've known. The first always wore a ponytail; it was somewhere between shoulder blades and waist length.

Servana
June 5th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I've had both short & long hair in my life (longest being hip-length) & I've always worn it down. Not even around the house will I wear it up because 1. It doesn't look good on me & 2. It's just uncomfortable & never stays in.

Sunny_side_up
June 5th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Do what you feel makes you content and enjoy your hair down, i do, though its at APL my goal isnt that far away (BSL) but i do enjoy wearing my hair down more and more, when goin out with friends before i'd typically have it clipped up/pony but recently it was out and my friend was full of comlements. Stroked it saying it was so soft and getting long! Most of the time though, say work and travelling about its up and ignored... Happy medium:)