PDA

View Full Version : Scalp massage during shower

Diamondbell
July 30th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I was reading somewhere that it is good to massage the scalp DURING the shower for at least 15 minutes (can't find the site now). Anyway, I tried it and it was really amazing! Such a wonderful feeling, and hair definitely felt better after this. I did it after a coconut milk-soak, during shampooing with a very diluted shampoo. Has anyone tried this with good results? :)

ladystar
July 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM
OH I do this Also! I love it! It feels sooooo Good! :D

sipnsun
July 30th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I've always heard that your hair is at it's most fragile state while wet, so I've never tried this. I usually detangle with a very wide tooth comb while in the shower with conditioner, but that is it. In beauty school, they taught us to give scalp massages on dry hair, using oil on the scalp. My DH does this for me occasionally, and I leave the oil on until my next shampoo. It feels wonderful!

ChloeDharma
July 30th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Most of my scalp massages are done either on dry scalp or with oil....usually with oil....but i always massage my scalp thoroughly when washing it, partly to make sure that shed skin is loosened up and removed and to break up the heavy oiling i always have on my hair before washing it.
But i use either herbs or CO, never shampoo.....personally i wouldn't leave shampoo, especially one containing sulphates, on my hair for 15 minutes as i can imagine the cumulative effect on most people if done regularly would be drying. On me i think even doing it once would leave my length quite unhappy.
But i do think if you can do it without many tangle issues then massaging in the shower would be great, with the added heat encouraging more blood to the scalp.

Siava
July 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I also massage my scalp in the shower, but not for 15 minutes. I have to get to work! :)

Aisha25
July 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Will try it for sure next time I take head bath,my head is down anyway might as well see. Will be back on Friday to update.

Diamondbell
July 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
You are right ChloeDharma that it is not a good idea to use shampoo on scalp for a 15-minute-massage. I had done over-oiling (the previous week) and had done the coconut milk soak too, on top of that - so the dilute shampoo was needed. Normally I use Shikakai! Partially I used dilute (herbal) shampoo during the massage and partially just plain water. I was quite happy with the end-results! :D

bex487
July 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I do mini massages, but I'd guess they last maybe a minute. I don't have time for a 15-minute massage (and I think my arms would get tired!). It does feel amazing though!

Aisha25
July 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
You are right ChloeDharma that it is not a good idea to use shampoo on scalp for a 15-minute-massage. I had done over-oiling (the previous week) and had done the coconut milk soak too, on top of that - so the dilute shampoo was needed. Normally I use Shikakai! Partially I used dilute (herbal) shampoo during the massage and partially just plain water. I was quite happy with the end-results! :D
Diamondbell,is the massage after you do shampoo or is it before? I do diluted shampoo and my hair is very nice still. So I see no problem in this at all.

Diamondbell
July 30th, 2008, 10:49 PM
What I did was:
1) One hour soak with fresh coconut milk (covered scalp with plastic bag and old scarf)
2) Later during shower I poured lukewarm water on scalp and added some dilute Walnut Shampoo
3) Massaged scalp and kept pouring water on scalp till the shampoo was gone
4) Massaged scalp with just plain water for quite some time.
(Actually I don't think it lasted 15 minutes - could have been 10 minutes)!

It could have worked well due to the coconut milk soak. Also my hair was really oiled from a few days back. The effect of it is good even today - 1 day after wash! (Hope this helps,
Aisha25 )

Aisha25
July 30th, 2008, 10:57 PM
What I did was:
1) One hour soak with fresh coconut milk (covered scalp with plastic bag and old scarf)
2) Later during shower I poured lukewarm water on scalp and added some dilute Walnut Shampoo
3) Massaged scalp and kept pouring water on scalp till the shampoo was gone
4) Massaged scalp with just plain water for quite some time.
(Actually I don't think it lasted 15 minutes - could have been 10 minutes)!

It could have worked well due to the coconut milk soak. Also my hair was really oiled from a few days back. The effect of it is good even today - 1 day after wash! (Hope this helps,
Aisha25 )
Oh yes that is perfect..Thank you!

jessie58
July 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Diamondbell, I do a bit of scalp massage when I am rinsing my hair with water, not too vigorously though, I try to be careful when it's wet. It does feel good, that's for sure.
I love to massage my dry scalp in the evenings, it's so good for my scalp.

Diamondbell
July 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Jessie58 - nice to hear that you have been doing the scalp massage too while washing hair! I have always been too scared to do that, that is why I was surprised that it worked so well for me!

jessie58
July 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Jessie58 - nice to hear that you have been doing the scalp massage too while washing hair! I have always been too scared to do that, that is why I was surprised that it worked so well for me!

I often just wash with water so I have to do the massage in order to clean my hair properly. I never massaged my scalp until I came to TLHC. Now it's part of my hair care routine.

Monsterkitti
July 31st, 2008, 03:52 AM
I have started a bit of scalp massage when washing my hair but not for 15mins, dont think my arms would take that! Does feel lovely :)

DarkChocolate
July 31st, 2008, 07:44 AM

What does a coconut milk soak do for your hair? Just curious:)

girlcat36
July 31st, 2008, 07:56 AM
When my scalp is wet, I get huge shedding if it is manipulated too much. But I massage my dry scalp every night with a bit of oil.

Aisha25
July 31st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Coconut milk is very good for hair. It helps to grow,stops hair loss abit and also it is moisturising. I used to use it every week and I had very little hair fall.

Diamondbell
July 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
DarkChocolate - Aisha25 has answered your question! :) It is true - shedding becomes less, and hair feels so healthy after a coconut milk soak! It is a good natural conditioner.

Aisha25
July 31st, 2008, 09:20 PM
DarkChocolate - Aisha25 has answered your question! :) It is true - shedding becomes less, and hair feels so healthy after a coconut milk soak! It is a good natural conditioner.
Yeah true feels soo good after. Takes away heat too.

CurlyNinja
July 31st, 2008, 09:30 PM
I also massage my scalp in the shower, but not for 15 minutes. I have to get to work! :)

Exactly! I always massage, both to loosen dirt and oil and do stimulate the scalp, but I can't do it for that long! Maybe 2-4 minutes is what I usually manage.

Jasmine19
July 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Isin't the hair in its most fragile state when wet in the shower!!!?? I'll be worried coz mine is thin and scanty!!

Calanthe
July 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
I do this, too. But not for 15 Minutes - my arms would fall off. It's more like getting the soap everywhere on my scalp, then a proper massage.

I do a proper massage on dry hair/scalp with oils, though. Feels nice.

Jasmine19
August 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
I do this, too. But not for 15 Minutes - my arms would fall off. It's more like getting the soap everywhere on my scalp, then a proper massage.

I do a proper massage on dry hair/scalp with oils, though. Feels nice.

Sounds comfortable!!!;)

jojo
August 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM
I do a massage whilst conditioning my hair as I condition the whole of my hair and scalp.

I have tried coconut milk but it made my hair very greasy, maybe i did it wrong?

Aisha25
August 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
I tried this and I only lost 20 hairs after my wash. Will be doing this again next week.

Diamondbell
August 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hey - great Aisha25 - :thumbsup: I had the experience of losing 50 hairs after this method, as against 80-100 normally on BAD wash days :) ) and after that hardly any in the subsequent days... (may be 1 or 2)... so there may be something in this - though I would like to use caution and wait for another few weeks (keep on this experiment) before I know for sure! :D - it could have been coincidence, after all? :shrug: :)

EmpressRi
August 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
I massage my scalp during washing and right afterwards. Feels heavenly!! That's the biggest reason why I miss getting my hair done by my stylist, that scalp massage was the best!!!

ChloeDharma
August 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM
I massage my scalp during washing and right afterwards. Feels heavenly!! That's the biggest reason why I miss getting my hair done by my stylist, that scalp massage was the best!!!

But with the money you save on stylists you could treat yourself to getting an indian head massage done which lasts alot longer than the massage you get when hairdressers wash your hair ;)

Diamondbell
August 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I tried this method again and it wasn't all that great! :(

So it must have been a coincidence or may be it was the coconut milk soak coupled with the massage last time. (THis time I just did a normal shikakai wash)