PDA

View Full Version : Buying butters and oils from Amazon

clanless
May 30th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Has anyone bought butters (shea, cocoa) and oils (like argan) from Amazon before? The price at Amazon versus finding one somewhere else isn't my question. I am thinking of using my Amazon wishlist as a way to show others what to buy for me.

How is it, and are the products on Amazon reliable?
Here are the butters/oils on my list: http://amzn.com/w/D8HW26AVMM3W

GoblinTart
May 30th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I've had a lot of luck buying various items from Amazon. The trick is to check product descriptions and reviews. vague descriptions could get you a super high quality item, or something that wouldn't be fit to use on the dog. For example: Jimmy Johnson Extra Virgin cold pressed raw.organic Coconut Oil. 8fl oz Product of India. VS. Jim John coconut oil.
I'll spend a bit more on the first description since it tells me exactly what it is. Customer reviews say a lot too. I won't buy anything without reviews.

CSallaround
May 30th, 2012, 04:16 AM
I bought argan oil from Amazon and it works like it's supposed to I guess. It's from Naissance 100 % pure cold pressed argan oil.

I agree with SandraJo you should check the reviews and look for products with a proper product describtion that says exactly what the product is.

afu
May 30th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I buy my oils from amazon and I really like it, the reviews are very important to me and you can't get as many honest unbiased reviews from most websites

rock007junkie
May 30th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Have you tried Butters-n-bars.com?

shutterpillar
May 30th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I've never had any problems buying hair care products and accessories from Amazon. A lot of the time I prefer using them because a good chunk of items will have free shipping on orders over $25.

Arciela
May 30th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I've had good results with amazon :) I just research a bit on what I'm buying from there first. Good luck to you :)

Zesty
May 30th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Yep, I've bought jojoba oil (Now foods brand) a few times and had no problems. I love Amazon for almost anything.

letibear
May 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I've purchased oils (monoi, almond, castor) shoes, books, electronics- all sorts of stuff over Amazon, and I can say that my experience has always been satisfying to outstanding.

As the others said, it's very important to be thorough with the descriptions, and you should be fine. :)

gogirlanime
May 30th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Try my thread for cheapest things I've found great deals! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2112890#post2112890

clanless
May 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Butters n bars look good but I am looking for a website that most people are familiar with (like Amazon) and preferably with free shipping.

I was going to make it an option for people to barter items with me for my art, so that is why. But if I find a client who is willing to buy from another website other than Amazon, then I will use those too. Thanks gogirlanime

CurlyCap
May 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I've had great luck buying hair supplies from amazon. Though I usually look for the same ingredient under cooking supplies. Infinitely cheaper.

My current favorite avocado oil (without getting into organics):
http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B00551COSU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1338427587&sr=8-11

Natalia
May 30th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Has anyone bought butters (shea, cocoa) and oils (like argan) from Amazon before? The price at Amazon versus finding one somewhere else isn't my question. I am thinking of using my Amazon wishlist as a way to show others what to buy for me.

How is it, and are the products on Amazon reliable?
Here are the butters/oils on my list: http://amzn.com/w/D8HW26AVMM3W

i buy shea butter from halal everyday 2 pounds at a time im very happy with, i use it for skin though. i think my mom got her agan oil on amazon and she is happy with it.

havent odered much other single ingredient stuff from there but i wouldnt hesitate. i go around and read the reviews for the product i intent to buy and other products from the same seller to see what is said about their customer service. the main concerrns i watch for are packaging and location since heat levels theirs and yours matter when your oil is making its journey in a metal box on wheels/wings.

dwell_in_safety
May 30th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I have never had any issue ordering anything from Amazon. I have purchased my peach wood comb, my satin pillowcase, and my 4 oz of jojoba oil from them. The jojoba oil brand is Now Organic, I believe. I wouldn't worry about ordering from them. Just look at customer reviews, if it's not a purchase directly from Amazon, to be sure that the product is good.

thirstylocks
May 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've purchased castor, argon and coconut oil (and a tons of nail care and hair care supplies) always with good results.

gonzobird
May 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I am a prime member, so free two day shipping is awesome when you have self diagnosed ADD. hahah. Also... only had a few problems with purchases over the years out of lots and lots... but I can say that I always buy directly from amazon and not a second party person on case there is a problem. That way they take it back no questions asked. A lot of second party sellers won't do that for you.

Bunnysaur
May 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I also have prime, and I love it!
That said, I've bought some argan oil, peppermint EO and a ocuple other oils/butters I can't quite recall at the moment, and never had a problem with them.

clanless
May 31st, 2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks, good to know that Amazon is reliable. (: