PDA

View Full Version : I "came out" to my hairdresser yesterday.

SilverDoe
May 30th, 2012, 01:29 AM
A family friend used to work as a hairdresser for many years & quit as her salon closed 10 years ago, but always helped my family with regular cutting & chemical dyes.
I've been CO washing for a year, no cones, oiling, & just ditched chemical dyes for henna.
I've been avoiding her as she is a very stubborn, strongly opinionated lady, an old school hairdresser. I've been afraid to tell her, and bit the bullet yesterday.

Her response?
"...Henna? Oh that's awesome! I'm sure it suits you nicely. " :disbelief
"Yes I know you don't use shampoo, I've seen your bathroom. Did wonders for your hair."

I'm amazed, by looking at her own hair, or the commercial products she uses on people you'd never guess she has further knowledge.
I was contemplating switching to a long hair friendly, open minded hairdresser when I've had one all along. :cheese:

HintOfMint
May 30th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Congratulations! That's wonderful and must be quite comforting to hear.

I wish I had a hairdresser I could talk to about this stuff. I had one in California but I've only been to her once before I moved to New York. The one I have now is the best I've had in terms of keeping my commitment to growing long hair--he never uses a razor, never slices my hair, and only takes off as much as I ask him to. However, I don't really talk to him about unconventional haircare--CWC, cone free, oiling... etc.
Then again, it never really comes up. It's a very straightforward, business-like relationship.

Bagginslover
May 30th, 2012, 02:29 AM
What a great reaction! My own long-time hair dresser was sceptical about the things I have tried, but she seems to be a convert, even if she wouldn't use LHC care herself.

jacqueline101
May 30th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Its great that she was supportive of you.

Tisiloves
May 30th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Yay! :cheese: She came to the dark side :demon:

carmac21
May 30th, 2012, 04:00 AM
hee hee, the title of this thread made me giggle!
I have not 'come out' to my hairdresser either. She is my neighbour and friend, but I have not told her I S&D, or that I plan to self-trim, or that I have a very different opinion on hair dryers etc.
I'm living a lie!!!:D

longhairedlady
May 30th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Thats great that you have a supportive hairdresser!

hendrickx
May 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM
The last time I had me ends trimmed which was quite a while ago, I came out the ladies at a chain haircut place. They were all super supportive. When I mentioned the forum and the wealth of info on here they both wrote down the URL.

Amber_Maiden
May 30th, 2012, 05:10 AM
That is so awesome!

Long_hair_bear
May 30th, 2012, 06:05 AM
My hairdresser of 7 years is also very supportive of me and my terminal length goals. I love her!

BrightEyes
May 30th, 2012, 07:16 AM
That's awesome! It's so nice to have a hairdresser who supports your hair decisions and goals.

swearnsue
May 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm imagining her looking through your bathroom to see what kind of shampoo you are using to get such wonderful hair!

dawnss
May 30th, 2012, 09:37 PM
That's fantastic!! I'd imagine that you feel wonderful, I have always thought that even though we do not need the support of other people it is still nice to feel supported. Especially in your goals!!!