PDA

View Full Version : can stopping smoking change hair texture/thickness?

jojo
May 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I used to have very fine but medium thickness hair and I stopped smoking nearly 7 months ago. Not that I am complaining but I am noticing thicker, bulkier hair. Ive just trimmed all my thin ends off but my overall thickness feels much denser and although my hair has lost some of the wave due to being longer, it just feels better in general.

I have started drinking whey and am trying to eat healthier due to gaining weight due to hypothyroidism and stopping smoking, maybe a combination of all of these changes?

anybody else notice any difference to their hair since stopping smoking? TIA

Falcore
May 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi Jojo, congrats on quitting smoking :) I gave up four months ago (30 a day) and honestly I cannot tell any difference in my hair except that it smells a heck of a lot better :)

Perhaps it's too soon for me to tell or maybe it is a combination of all the healthy steps you are taking - either way it's great news for you!

How are you coping with the no smoking, btw?

longhairedlady
May 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Congrats on quitting smoking you two! I quit smoking a little over 6 1/2 years ago. My hair is definitely thicker, smoother, and less dry than it was when I was smoking.

Amber_Maiden
May 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I think there would definitely be a difference. Smoking undoubtedly would make your hair behave/grow in a different way.

julierockhead
May 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Yes - smoking constricts blood vessels and generally inhibits good circulation and oxygenation. Quiting smoking and improving diet should result in much more healthy hair.

Great job quitting!:hifive:

Silverbrumby
May 29th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I used to have very fine but medium thickness hair and I stopped smoking nearly 7 months ago. Not that I am complaining but I am noticing thicker, bulkier hair. Ive just trimmed all my thin ends off but my overall thickness feels much denser and although my hair has lost some of the wave due to being longer, it just feels better in general.

I have started drinking whey and am trying to eat healthier due to gaining weight due to hypothyroidism and stopping smoking, maybe a combination of all of these changes?

anybody else notice any difference to their hair since stopping smoking? TIA

More oxygen in the body? Definitely more healthy and when you look at smokers skin it never glows. If skin and hair are connected, well you get the gist.

CONGRATULATIONS!

It's been 20 years now for me and I'm so so so happy.

LadyHazel
May 30th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I'm happy for you this is very good motivation my smoking cut down went in stages:
2011 Aug- 20-25 a day
2011 December 10 a day
2012 Febuary- 5 a day
2012 April- 3 or less
2012 May- 1 or even less than one (half) or none

It looks noticably thicker to me from the hip length picture in your album :D congrats

jojo
May 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the congrats everyone and well done all of you who have done this.

Ive not craved at all until the last few days which is kinda weird, its obviously a psychological thing as the physical side of the cravings went a long time ago.

Yeah all your answers make sense, i suppose i wasnt expecting results so quickly! To be totally honest its been easier than i thought; no hacking cough as i expected, the weight gain was 12lbs but ive lost 7lbs so not too bad! I wasn't a heavy smoker and tended to put them out after smoking half so food wise it tastes the same, but breathing wise much better no wheeze!!!

letibear
May 30th, 2012, 09:16 PM
First of all congratulations on quitting smoking! yes, I would assume that quitting the activity would have an effect on your hair since you will be healthier :) Yay!

Xi
May 30th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Congratulations, jojo, that's such a great accomplishment. I'm glad it also made your hair extra beautiful!:)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Well, fancy finding this thread today - was just wondering last night how many LHCers are smokers - I am sure it must affect hair quality and growth rates.

I have never smoked. how about you guys?

KwaveT
August 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM
A friend of mine who quit smoking years ago says that food tastes much better after quit smoking. That may be why some gain weight after they stop it. She put on a lot of weight as a result too. She is trying to lose it now with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Redhead Rebel
August 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM
I smoke 5-7 per day and haven't noticed any changes since I started.

katfemme89
August 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM
I've been smoking since I was 18. I haven't really noticed that it's changed my hair at all, because I take so many supplements to combat the effects of smoking.

I envy those of you that have quit. Since my surgery, I went from smoking a pack a day to smoking five cigs per day. Wish I could cut them out completely but I just love it so much :(

ravenreed
August 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
I used to smoke a pack a day when I was much younger. Giving it up wasn't easy, but I am glad I did. It takes a toll on skin, so I imagine it does for hair too. It was so long ago that I can't remember any significant changes to my hair. I do remember I got sick a lot less, and got less sinus infections after I quit.

sazzie88
August 22nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hey jojo, well done, I an on week 3 after a stumbling start. I read this book and I never never wan to go back to smoking ever it's so good. Save it for who ever may need it x

http://thepreppersite.com/uploads/Allen_Carr-Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking.pdf

blond_betty
August 22nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with longhairedlady. My hair wasn't nearly as dry after I quit smoking, although I have only been smoke-free 15 months or so. Now most of my dryness is caused by the lack of a humidifier in my overly-dry apartment. :rolleyes:

Ruzovy
August 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hair-wise, just the smell. But I quit less than a year ago so who knows.

Alvrodul
August 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Congratulations on quitting smoking! :flowers:
I am sure quitting has had a positive effect on your hair - I know that smoking adds 10 years to your skin's "age", and it has negative effects so many other places, tool