PDA

View Full Version : Help with Graduation Hair

LittleOrca
May 29th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of other things!

Or just graduation. So, I am unsure what to do with my tresses for the ceremony. Now, when I graduated High School, I left my hair down and it was fine (Course, it was only like BSL or Waist then). I didn't walk for my BA since I graduated in the winter. Now that I have my Master's Degree, I not only have to walk, but I need to figure out what to do with my hair. The trouble? I have a hood!

It's not a hood like a cloak kind of hood. It's more of a fabric drape that lets the persons at the ceremony know that I am not only getting my masters, but the colors symbolize that it is for the Art Therapy Counseling portion of the school. Here is a pic:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/IMG_5272.jpg
(Yes, I know it is on wrong. I just had it on so that you could see how it was hanging and my hair.)

Now, I had thought "Oh, a bun... hmm... what kind?" But the hat is so unflattering on me with my hair pulled back, so I was thinking loose and maybe pulled to my front since the hood would be covered if I put it toward the back. That, and I think my hair would be an important part of my graduation outfit, especially given who is going to be there on my hat. (We were given permission to do silly things to our hats if we wanted. I thought this was perfect for me.)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/IMG_5267.jpg
There is the hat, and my guest, so you can see what I mean by how it makes my face look.

Input appreciated! I graduate the 16th, so there is some time, but suggestions welcome!

Quixii
May 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Oh gosh, I have to start thinking about this too! (Though for my much less cool high school graduation. :D)

If I were you, I would probably curl two small sections in the front, so they frame your face, and then do the rest in a half up or updo, just because I think being down may get annoying/in the way with the hood and the hat and everything.

jojo
May 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
When I graduated with my BSc degree i just wore it down, photos are in my facebook! i wanted the length to show under the mortar board (isnt that a silly name for a hat???) and congratulations on your graduation, you look so cute in your graduation gear!

letibear
May 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Congratulations, is it possible you could do a single side braid, and keep your hair in front?

longhairedlady
May 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Maybe a side braid or a side pony that has been curled (without heat of course!) :D

pes3108
May 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I was bad and for my graduation I blowfried it and then used a curling iron to curl it. I hadn't done anything to my hair in months, so it was nice to see how long it actually is. Plus I got tons of compliments! However, between constantly fussing with my hood so it wouldn't choke me and having my hair look just right, it was a little stressful. Maybe you could do something over the shoulder, as to keep it away from the hood?

Aliped
May 29th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I've been thinking about this too. My ceremony is in two weeks. I am happy to cover my MSc hood with my hair. The colors are visible from the front. I am going to have my bangs trimmed and the hemline tidied up a couple of days before hand, I henndigoed recently, so I'm good to go....

Congratulations and good luck!

LisaB234
May 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I am a faculty member and deal with this every year. My words of wisdom are check the weather and have a back-up plan. This year it was WINDY for our graduation - not normal around here. I had my hair in a half up, which looks great with the hood, hat, face, etc., but when I got to campus and experienced the wind, into a low ponytail went the hair.

The next piece of information (all of our students earn hoods) the longhaired students with hair down will get their hair caught under the hood when hooded and most do not fiddle with it before the official picture with the Dean - all eyes are on you and there is no easy way to get your hair out. Many look like they have short bobs because their hair is under the hood on their shoulders. It is awkward at best to get long hair out from under the velvet and there is no obvious place to pull your hair to with the hood sitting on both shoulders. I think a braid, possibly looped under or pulled to the side for hooding works great! Or leave the braid in the back and let the hooder deal with it! ;-)

I like the suggestion to leave a few pieces down to frame your face if you want, but honestly, you are beautiful and in the picture you posted, my attention was drawn right to your eyes - WOW!

Congratulation - enjoy the ceremony - celebrate your hard work!

LittleOrca
May 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Our ceremony is inside at a convention center, so wind wont be too big an issue and the hooding ceremony is done before the graduation, the day before, so when I show up I will have put the hood on myself and be all ready inside the gown.

I am a faculty member and deal with this every year. My words of wisdom are check the weather and have a back-up plan. This year it was WINDY for our graduation - not normal around here. I had my hair in a half up, which looks great with the hood, hat, face, etc., but when I got to campus and experienced the wind, into a low ponytail went the hair.

The next piece of information (all of our students earn hoods) the longhaired students with hair down will get their hair caught under the hood when hooded and most do not fiddle with it before the official picture with the Dean - all eyes are on you and there is no easy way to get your hair out. Many look like they have short bobs because their hair is under the hood on their shoulders. It is awkward at best to get long hair out from under the velvet and there is no obvious place to pull your hair to with the hood sitting on both shoulders. I think a braid, possibly looped under or pulled to the side for hooding works great! Or leave the braid in the back and let the hooder deal with it! ;-)

I like the suggestion to leave a few pieces down to frame your face if you want, but honestly, you are beautiful and in the picture you posted, my attention was drawn right to your eyes - WOW!

Congratulation - enjoy the ceremony - celebrate your hard work!

LisaB234
May 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Oh, in that case, try a half up. I think that gives you your beautiful length and softness around your face - the best of both worlds! ;-)

Again, congrats!

Bunnysaur
May 31st, 2012, 12:20 AM
I have no hair ideas, but I just wanted to say that the hat is super awesome. They didn't let me have anything on mine at my HS graduation, but DF graduated with a panda on his hat :p

Aliped
May 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'll have my hood on before the ceremony. All I have to do is walk across the stage, remove my cap and shake hands. (only bachelor degree recipients get hooded).

Masara
May 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM
When I graduated uni (many years ago) I put my hair in a tucked or folded French braid (I don't remember anymore) which worked well with the hood. On the other hand I didn't have to deal with any sort of hat as my university doesn't have hats. (relief!)

SurferB
May 31st, 2012, 12:10 PM
I did a beautiful elegant curl with swirls.

sarahramen
May 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM
I graduated from high school the other day and I just left it down, it is pretty and this was a special occasion, so there would be a lot of pictures taken, so to me it was worth the tangles, you can always bring a hair stick for when it starts to bug you if you don't want to make the commitment.

SwordWomanRiona
May 31st, 2012, 01:40 PM
The pic with the braid looks lovely, imo, but if you don't like how your face looks with your hair pulled back, how about wearing it loose, with some thin strands pulled in a half-updo if you want (bobby pins if the hat is in the way...), and taken to the front so as not to obscure the hood?

That's what I did for my graduation class pic (I'm not graduating until next year, this was only the pic), and I was reasonably happy with the result. The hood is so cool, too bad we didn't have one!! And we weren't able to put fun things in the hat, either!

Naphthylamine
May 31st, 2012, 01:42 PM
How about a side perimeter braid, like the one that Torrin did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z094_S4ocI) some time ago?

Tisiloves
May 31st, 2012, 01:47 PM
How about a mermaid tail plait ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZWRwfib7U
with some tendrils/accent braids around your face

dwell_in_safety
May 31st, 2012, 03:01 PM
I did a lazy wrap bun riiiiiiight at the base of my skull when I got my Bachelor's a couple weeks ago (for which I got a hood lol), with a fancy flexi8. Perhaps a low bun with large portions of hair left loose?

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
I like it braided but maybe take and tuck your braid under if you want it shorter.