PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn on scalp?

Amygirl8
May 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I was out at a camp last week, and we spent most of our time out in the sun. Accustomed to wearing a hat (which I had forgotten :o) my scalp got burned and is now peeling.

The flakes are huge and horribly noticeable, and it's just disgusting. Are there any ways to keep the flakes at bay and the scalp less burnt-looking while I wait for the burn to clear out? Thank you!!

Bene
May 29th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I thought to help, but I don't sunburn. Ever. So I asked my really really pale friend about what he does.

[edited for language and privacy]

Bene says
what do you albinos do about this kind of s**t?
Bunny says
we don't forget our f***ing hats
no one who is 'accustomed' to wearing a hat forgets it
Bene says
you always wear a hat in the sun?
Bunny says
always
Bene says
seriously?
Bunny says
yes
are you kidding?
i'm not getting a head burn

So, I guess there's no advice from that end. Another friend once told me that his grandma used to dump him in a bath of diluted ACV and then slathered a buttload of aloe vera gel on him, that really helped his sunburns, but I don't know if that actually works. That's all the advice I can remember.

Good luck.

Tisiloves
May 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Aloe vera gel (clear not medicated) on your scalp helps, as can oiling. For the flakies try a scalp scrub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC_unKDz_JA

red-again
May 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Oiling will help a lot I think. Coconut is popular as is jojoba. My hair prefers jojoba but it is tried and error really. You can even use olive oil!
Also conditioner only for a time may relieve the dryness, rub a big glob of condish into your scalp using your finger tips not nails and then put more into the ends and leave on for 10 mons or so and rinse thoroughly.

Hope the above help a bit!

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It'd only be a cosmetic fix, but a headscarf or bandanna would cover things while your scalp recovers? :)

no one who is 'accustomed' to wearing a hat forgets it

I comb my hair everyday. The last time I went on holiday, I forgot my comb.

I'm just saying... ;)

fridgee
May 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ergh I hate it when that happens :( (which it often does to me I burn if I even hear its sunny outside! :p)I don't know how to get rid of them particularly quickly, but you can minimise how they look by moving your part and putting your hair up after making sure you've thoroughly brushed the obvious flakes out. I like the CO suggestion, should be nice and gentle on the sensitive skin. I wouldn't apply ACV to damaged skin, it sounds like it might irritate it further, but AVG will definitely be soothing.

Bene
May 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
It'd only be a cosmetic fix, but a headscarf or bandanna would cover things while your scalp recovers? :)

I comb my hair everyday. The last time I went on holiday, I forgot my comb.

I'm just saying... ;)

I'll let him know, but he's adamant that he ALWAYS wears a hat outside. Even on foggy days, because of the sunburn threat.

This whole sunburn thing is completely foreign to me :shrug:

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'll let him know, but he's adamant that he ALWAYS wears a hat outside. Even on foggy days, because of the sunburn threat.

I guess being forgetful and burning easily aren't a great combination. :lol:

Be glad; it hurts!

Amygirl8
May 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM

I do that too XD
It's quite rare to see me without a hat, even if it's raining, but we were in a rush and I plain-out forgot, and didn't realize I didn't have it until we got there :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

whitedove
May 29th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Aw I know your pain, had burnt scalp a few times. I always keep an umbrella in the car incase it rains, but it can also be handy for sunny days too. I am also going to suggest hairstyles without a parting, as the parting is usually where you get burnt, as there is not enough hair covering to protect scalp :).

Another thing you could use is the dry oil sun screen, probally not good for your hair but will save you from sunburn. I have use this in the past when I have taken sunscreen but not a hat didnt seem to do much damage ( this was pre LHC) but I didnt burn, so it did its job.

katsrevenge
May 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
i just wrap a scarf around my head when this happens.. Those are easier to remember.. I keep one in my purse!

jacqueline101
May 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I had the sun burn scalp and I cocoa nut oiled mine and in a few days it was gone.

afu
May 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
this happened to me last week, at home in the morning it was foggy and chilly ... a couple of hours later about 15mins up the road I was stuck dagging and footscoring 300 sheep in 28C heat with no shade or clouds. I burn really easily, i kept my hoodie on despite the heat to avoid burning but my neck and scalp didn't fair so well. I add aloe vera gel to my CO wash and im sure that helped :D