PDA

View Full Version : Ingredients help?

Strelitzia
May 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hiya!

So since lurking on LHC for a few months and reading a lot of wisdom :D I think I want to have a go at trying out sulfate-free and 'cone free shampoo/conditioner, just to see if it helps my hair which seems to be shedding way too much these last few months:(! I've recently moved to Denmark so haven't got access to all the variety that's available but I have found 2 brands that I am pretty sure I can get hold of.
I'm pretty sure that they don't have any cones but I get a bit confused with the sulfate thing, so I wondered if maybe a lovely person or two could look at the ingredients and let me know whether they are okay or if they're not good? :)

Shampoo 1:
Aqua, aloe barbadensis gel*, cocamidopropyl betaine, coco-glucoside, sodium coco-sulfate, glycerin, levulinic acid, sodium cocoyl glutamate, p-anisic acid, lavandula angustifolia extract*, sodium citrate, lavandula angustifolia oil* (aroma*), geraniol", linalool", limonene"

Shampoo 2:
Aqua, sodium coco-sulfate, coco-glucoside, aloe barbadensis gel*, betula alba leaf extract*, juglans regia leaf extract*, glycerine, glyceryl oleate, cocoglycerides, sodium chloride, glyceryl caprylate, lysolecithin, xanthan gum, hydrolyzed jojoba esters, citric acid, perfum, citral, limonene, linalool, chitosan, tocopheryl acetate.

Conditioner 1:
Aqua, cetyl alcohol, glycerin*, prunus armeniaca kernel oil*,cocamidopropyl betaine, butyrospermum parkii butter*, zea mays starch*, xanthan gum, glyceryl caprylate, levulinic acid, sodium citrate, citrus grandis seed extract, citric acid, p-anisic acid, lavandula angustifolia extract*, lavandula hybrida oil*, lavandula angustifolia oil* (aroma*), tocopheryl acetate, geraniol", limonene", linalool".

Conditioner 2:
Aqua, aloe barbadensis gel*, cetyl alcohol, glycerine, butyrospermum parkii butter*, betula alba leaf extract*, equisetum arvense extract*, brassica alcohol, xylitol, Coco-Caprylate, brassicyl isoleucinate, oenothera biennis oil*, citric acid, perfum, citral, limonene, linalool, chitosan, tocopheryl acetate.

Vampyria
May 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Both shampoos are suppose to be natural and gentle, second one should be a bit more ˝nourishing˝because of the glyceryl oleate and cocoglycerides. Also it has less ˝cleaning˝ substances.

Conditioners both seem good, also natural ingredients, both have shea butter, which I can say from my experience is a good thing. Especially for dry hair.

But I haven't used any of those products, so I can't say with complete certainty how they work.

Edit: sodium coco-sulfate is a natural, gentle cleaner.

Strelitzia
May 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Oh thank you so much!!:D

I was really hoping they'd be okay - all week I've been looking at ingredients lists and getting really disappointed when I saw a cone or sulfate!

Think I'll go for the no.2 products - they're a new product line from Urtekram called Nordisk Birk (Nordic Birch) that's organic and vegan :) The no. 1 products were just straight organic Urtekram brand. Guess I'm off shopping tomorrow! :D

red-again
May 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
shampoo 2 seems to have man made fragrance ( parfum) whereas 1 has lavender essential oil and other natural derivatives of EO.

Other than that though, no big nasties to be mede aware of like the PP says.

You might like to take a look at the WEN (skin deep) website, you can check common products on there as well as their actual ingredients as separates too.

red-again
May 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
oh and Urtekam shampoo and condish is available on the continent too and that is a good brand.

Vampyria
May 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Oh thank you so much!!:D

I was really hoping they'd be okay - all week I've been looking at ingredients lists and getting really disappointed when I saw a cone or sulfate!

Think I'll go for the no.2 products - they're a new product line from Urtekram called Nordisk Birk (Nordic Birch) that's organic and vegan :) The no. 1 products were just straight organic Urtekram brand. Guess I'm off shopping tomorrow! :D

Glad I could help. :) I hope you will like it.

shampoo 2 seems to have man made fragrance ( parfum) whereas 1 has lavender essential oil and other natural derivatives of EO.

Oh yes, I haven't seen this one.

Strelitzia
May 31st, 2012, 03:29 PM
I went and did a 'sniff-test' of the products in the local supermarket (only got 2 "weirdo" looks from people! :D) and decided to go with the Nordisk Birk - it smells a little unusual with a woody/sap scent if that makes sense. The shampoo smells quite mild but the conditioner is pretty strong but will have to see how long it lasts when I use it. I really didn't like the smell of the straight Urtekram varieties - even the unscented ones seemed unpleasant to me. So here's to going sulfate/cone free!
Thanks for your help ladies!! :) xx

red-again
May 31st, 2012, 03:41 PM
I used to buy the utekram ones and add ylang-ylang or patchouli E.O. Really made a massive difference

Glad you've chosen one though, hope you like it