PDA

View Full Version : You might like this

GoblinTart
May 29th, 2012, 04:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lao3GaYXLjs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hair care video from the 50s? I think?

caadam
May 29th, 2012, 06:16 AM
"Your hair should be washed once every two weeks, or more often if necessary, with water and a mild soap..." I honestly didn't expect that one from a 50s' hair care instruction film. LOL Just because I know that shampoo had been around for about two decades at that point; I thought it was going to be say something like, "SHAMPOO EVERY DAY, LADIES!"

It's amazing how modern society, at least here in the states, treats these concepts, like washing hair only once every two weeks or doing a vinegar/lemon rinse, like they're brand new. When lots of ladies here are learning that they're not, especially when we see things like this. It's so amazing. It makes me appreciate this site and the people here even more. :)

And yet... you got people in the comments who can barely wrap their heads around it. Oh well...

GoblinTart
May 29th, 2012, 06:38 AM
"Your hair should be washed once every two weeks, or more often if necessary, with water and a mild soap..." I honestly didn't expect that one from a 50s' hair care instruction film. LOL Just because I know that shampoo had been around for about two decades at that point; I thought it was going to be say something like, "SHAMPOO EVERY DAY, LADIES!"

It's amazing how modern society, at least here in the states, treats these concepts, like washing hair only once every two weeks or doing a vinegar/lemon rinse, like they're brand new. When lots of ladies here are learning that they're not, especially when we see things like this. It's so amazing. It makes me appreciate this site and the people here even more. :)

And yet... you got people in the comments who can barely wrap their heads around it. Oh well...

I love how people think that no Poo or low Poo are new.concepts. shampoo is a fairly recent invention. And as far as.shampoo, I think shampooing every day became a marketing gimmick to boost sales.

I've run out of shampoo before and actually ended to wash my hair at the time. I just used some soap, and did a.vinegar rinse. My hair turned out fine.

And I love the comments. Only every 2 weeks??? Disgusting!!! Yet, skipping washes is quickly becoming a fad.

And this reminds me, I Ned to pick up some bobby pins. Pin curling my hair really helps me stretch my washes.

Tisiloves
May 30th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I think if I didn't have conditioner I would only brave the shampoo once a fortnight, the detangling would be grim. :demon:

akilina
May 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I love it! Haha...the bathroom in the video looks exactly like my bathroom X___X
I love stuff like this though..My great grandma was also a hair dresser and my parents have probably 20 really interesting magazines on hair care and hair styles from the 50s. They are really fun to look at for me being a hair dresser :]
Thanks for sharing!

letibear
May 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Neat! I like the vintage makeup link they have on their too ^_^

afu
May 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I love watching things like this! It did make me cringe a bit when she was washing it by rubbing it in a pile on her head - if i used her wash technique my hair would be one big dreadlock!

battle_angel
May 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Very nice video, and interesting to see how they did it back then. The model is really beautiful and has amazing hair.. I have hair envy right now :P

spidermom
May 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Agreed afu. Plus it's so much easier sitting in a tub with a pitcher or standing in the shower than bending over a sink.

I remember Seventeen magazine in the 60s advising that hair should not be washed in a pile on the head.

Jing
May 30th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I love old beauty care videos! Some day people are going to look back on beauty advice from our times with shock and awe, too. :D

faellen
May 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I loved it, thanks for sharing! Lol, I'm just picturing what my hair would look like in two weeks without washing...

Ticky
May 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Things like that are always interesting. Thank you for sharing :)

Suze2012
May 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
That's exactly how my Mum used to care for her tailbone wavy/curly deep auburn hair..she was born in 1932 so was a teen/young woman in the 50's.

HintOfMint
May 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think if I didn't have conditioner I would only brave the shampoo once a fortnight, the detangling would be grim. :demon:

I read in the Wall Street Journal years ago that conditioner (as we know it today) was invented by shampoo manufacturers to encourage more frequent or even daily washing.

longhairedlady
May 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
So did they not use conditioner back then? Just shampoo every 2 weeks?

Nedertane
May 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I feel like if they used both shampoo and vinegar/lemon water, then their hair would be clean enough to last two weeks, haha. I have to agree about conditioner and detangling as someone said though. But if that bit about the invention of conditioner to make washing more necessary is true, I have to wonder why WO has never seemed to work for me Lol.

gogirlanime
May 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Haha it's so funny how people now think it's disgusting unless you wash your hair everyday. I wash every other day but that's only because I go to the gym almost everyday and my sweat stinks but I use Dr. Bronner's natural soap so it's not over drying. Nice video thank you! I've always believed we need to move backwards in the way we take care of ourselves both beauty and health.

bethanUK
May 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
This is so cool, I love things like this. I love old curling methods like rags and stuff.

I've seen that in the 'olden days' they wore their hair in a loose braid at night to prevent tangles. Does anyone know/use any other vintage tidbits?

leslissocool
May 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
So much different from modern hair care, and so much better for your hair! Thanks for posting!

TheMechaGinger
May 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM
That was awesome! I love old stuff like that. In fact last time my grandma visited she was telling me about how when she was a teen she'd only wash her hair every two or three weeks and then pin curl it while it was drying. She says even these days she only washes her hair about once a week at the most

holothuroidea
May 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I feel like if they used both shampoo and vinegar/lemon water, then their hair would be clean enough to last two weeks, haha. I have to agree about conditioner and detangling as someone said though. But if that bit about the invention of conditioner to make washing more necessary is true, I have to wonder why WO has never seemed to work for me Lol.

I think we have changed our standards for what hair should look and feel like since washing every day has become the norm.

lilliemer
May 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM
What a great link! Thank you for sharing it. The male narrator is hilarious! Also I remember my grandma used to have a clear plastic brush and comb set just like the one they showed the young lady combing her hair out of in the video.

::runs off to try pincurls::

jacqueline101
May 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I like seeing how peoples concepts of hair care has changed throughout the year.

BrightEyes
May 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
That was awesome, and so different from most modern hair care practices. I thought the part about squeaky-clean hair was kind of funny. Thanks for sharing:)

GoblinTart
May 31st, 2012, 06:14 AM
What a great link! Thank you for sharing it. The male narrator is hilarious! Also I remember my grandma used to have a clear plastic brush and comb set just like the one they showed the young lady combing her hair out of in the video.

::runs off to try pincurls::

Those were the high quality brushes! O just found them in one of my.moms catalogues of stuff you can't find anymore. I can't remember the catalogues company though. It's a neat catalogue, but some of the impossible to find stuff is in my Walmart/Target/frys. Like Fels Naptha soap.

GoblinTart
May 31st, 2012, 06:21 AM
This is so cool, I love things like this. I love old curling methods like rags and stuff.

I've seen that in the 'olden days' they wore their hair in a loose braid at night to prevent tangles. Does anyone know/use any other vintage tidbits?

Look up VividMakeup on YouTube. She has tutorials on pincurls, and vintage makeup.and she throws in little tiny history lessons. And she's so bubbly and happy. I watch her vids for a little mood booster.

natt i nord
May 31st, 2012, 08:01 AM
Uuh, I think I really shouldn't share that video with some of my classmates... They already looked at me as if I was alien when I told them I use to wash my hair every 3 to 4 days. :D

Thanks for sharing!

EndlessSunshine
May 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM
My grandfather was water only and had shimmery silver hair. I am big fan of not washing hair or Co when needed. Beauty is simple not complicated expensive stuff.