PDA

View Full Version : My hair ritual, am I doing anything wrong?

Brio
May 29th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I am new to the forum and to growing out my hair. Ive had hair no longer than my shoulders for 7 years. It now falls right between my shoulder blades and I love it :) Im looking for advice on how to maximize my hair health and growth speed. I've been told by many people that my hair is in great shape bu I'm just wondering. I do not blow dry my hair. I curl it with little Conair hot sticks less than once a month. I keep it up in a sloppy bun most of the time but also braid and pony and down. I wash me hair every 3rd day with organic moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I henna it red every 6 weeks or so. I brush my hair before styling it and if it looks missy but not religiously.
My hair is thick for Caucasian hair but not overly so, straight with a slight wave, silky, moderately oily, does not tangle easily at all.

GoblinTart
May 29th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your routine. I would say cut out the heat, but you do it rarely. Just watch for damage. I think it depends on the hair how much heat styling it can take. I take an iron to my hair once and deal with damage for months, yet my friend uses heat daily and has no damage at all.

As long as you're gentle with your hair, your routine should be fine!

Venefica
May 29th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I think your routine sounds sensible. To maximize growth I think food is important, to make sure you get allot of vegetables so you get enough vitamins. I also give my hair a cold rinse when I wash it. They say that will make the hair grow faster but I do not know, it do make my hair shiny at least. If your hair is healthy all you have to do is continue to treat it well and wait for it to grow.

swearnsue
May 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I'm not familiar with the hot sticks but if they are hot enough to curl your hair then they will cause damage. You might want to consider changing to the Caruso curling system. It uses steam and doesn't damage hair (as far as I know). Using a silk pillowcase has been very helpful to me.

leilasahhar
May 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I have to share mine with you then :) I am posting pics on my profile soon too. My hair would not grow for anything a year ago..I was a dyeaholic, bleachaholic and shampooaholic ALL 3 killed my hair. Since joining LHC I have started using Shikakai, Aritha powders to shampoo my hair (WOW amazing difference) got them from amazon.com. I also found this Redwood hair mist that claims to accelerate hair growth(Love it). Got it at Redwood-Roots.com. I also use FENUGREEK mixed into a paste w/ hot water for my ends. Again WOW i cant believe how soft this stuff makes my hair. Anyway my hair hasnt got growth like this in years and its so healthy! I believe its my routine, or may be a growth spurt or BOTH but I had to share :))

Madora
May 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Brio, apart from your use of heat when curling your hair, I'd say your hair routine sounds fine.

You may want to consider using a silk or satin pillowcase to protect your delicate ends at night.

heidi w.
May 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I would add be judicious about what kind of tops you wear when you wear loose hair. If a wind kicks up, I hope you carry an emergency Plan B kit to wrap your hair up. (I carried mine in the glove box of my car. Now I just carry a hair stick with me. Wind is my nemesis.) You don't want sticky kind of tops; you want slippery tops that your hair can slide against during the day.

Second satin pillowcase, Madora's suggestion, or sleep cap.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the hot sticks but if they are hot enough to curl your hair then they will cause damage. You might want to consider changing to the Caruso curling system. It uses steam and doesn't damage hair (as far as I know). Using a silk pillowcase has been very helpful to me.

Steam rollers do indeed work, and far better than most people expect. Even I got about ten minutes of curl out of them. LOL That is until a wind kicked up and knocked all the curl flat again. I have kind of heavy hair and super stick straight hair. I usually can only manage a bend on my hair, not a full furl of curl.

heidi w.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Sounds good to me.