PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic vs. maturity

Sassy9226
May 28th, 2012, 02:54 PM
So I mentioned to some people at work, and also my mother that I wanted to put some Manic Panic Fushia Shock into my hair, on the bottom layers only not the top. I'm a brunette and I don't plan to bleach before I apply, so it won't be totally bright.

But generally, people thought I would look as if I were immature, and should be treated that way. One even said "Why would you do that, do you want to look like your 12, haven't you matured past that stage in your life yet"

So i guess my question is, do you see experimenting with vivid/bright hair color as a sign of immaturity?

Saeth
May 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Hell no, but saying that I often take opposite views to what society usually has in regards to most things so maybe I'm not a good person to ask. I'm very open minded and accepting. Things like this tends to annoy me at best and I usually challenge such statements with, "How can a colour make me look more immature? Immaturity is evidence based, not colour based."

Jeez, some people!

TheMechaGinger
May 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
No way! People read way too much into what others decide to do with their hair. Pink hair doesn't make you anything other than a person that likes having pink hair

Long_hair_bear
May 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wow, that's just bad. Just because u wanna have some color fun with your hair does not make u immature.

furnival
May 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hmmm... I'm 34 and have bright purple hair. As for whether people may think it is immature- I sincerely do not give a toss. :)
People will think whatever they want about whatever you do, and there will always be a whole spectrum of opinions from positive to negative. The only opinion that matters is your own, in my opinion ;)

luxepiggy
May 28th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I don't personally think so, but the reality is that many people you encounter will think that way, so it is something to take into consideration when you make your decision. One of the reasons I decided to do a blue dip-dye rather than a streak or an underlayer was because I knew I could easily hide the colour inside an updo for professional settings.

tweetylonghair
May 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I work at a school and I love the reaction I get most positive.. Nothing has ever been said whether I'm immature for doing or not. I just mainly get the comment "So you want your hair to fall out ,,right?" I think itpositive and fun.. immature shows in attitude and responsibilty .. Not simply hair color difference.

moxamoll
May 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have to admit I saw the thread title and thought "For goodness sakes." No, I don't think you can be "too mature" to use punk colours - I did my last set of punk colours at 37. And I doubt it'll be my last, but I'm enjoying my henna right now!

On the other hand, I do think that there are some industries/workplaces that still frown heavily on that kind of thing, so you do need to keep that in mind.

It's a very old mindset - similar to tattoos and piercings. They are MUCH more mainstream now, but some people persist in thinking of them as something for the "lower classes" or hoodlums or something. :roll eyes:

MandyBeth
May 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm 31, in a widely considered high professional job and I have black and purple hair. No person who is not narrow minded thinks I look childish.

cmg
May 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
So i guess my question is, do you see experimenting with vivid/bright hair color as a sign of immaturity?
No not at all. I would say, there are immature people who experiment with their hair like that, but I wouldnt say that all who do are immature. That would be an immature and superficial statement in itself. I did stuff like that at past 50 and had lots of fun with it. Neither people around me or me myself think I am immature. So WTH. perhaps there are places where it could be percieved as inapropriate, fex if you have certain jobs, or it doesnt suit you and your personal style, but besides that I see no problem. I'd say, have fun with it!

/ CMG

froglet
May 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Welcome Sassy9226 :waving:
My 64 year old mom, who has waist length, white-silver hair, wants me to dye the ends of her hair purple. Not immature, just fun. As for the naysayers, they are probably not the type whose approval you'd want anyway. :shrug:

spidermom
May 28th, 2012, 03:15 PM
For me, nope. I'll do what I want with my hair.

I've seen that attitude around, though. I heard some radio talk show host say that fantasy colors are not acceptable beyond age 18. Sucks to be him or his wife, I'd say.

Talma
May 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hey, if Katie Perry can rock Smurf blue hair, so can you. Who cares what other people may think. You might as well do what you want because everything you do in life will be criticized by someone anyways. That's just my 2 cents.

Quote of the day: "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." -- Dr. Seuss

MandyBeth
May 28th, 2012, 03:29 PM
My highest boss has walked by repeatedly and didn't notice my purple hair. When it was really obvious. With teal streaks. If a US Senator doesn't find my hair inappropriate when I'm a visible campaign worker, I think it's fine.

But I never said I'm exactly the most mature individual.

jeanniet
May 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
There is a wonderful woman at my church who is very involved in the peace movement among other things, and she rocks magenta hair. She's 80 if she's a day!

anime_length
May 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Maybe art school ruined me but to be perfectly honest I agree with your friends. When I was younger it was cool to have bright hair because was fun and I felt "different" but then I realized I didn't need all that extra random crap to be special.

The truth is that your hair color is probably beautiful and part of maturity is learning to love the person you are, right now.

Although, if you've never done it before. I think you should just tell them to **** off and do it. It is a lot of fun and everyone should do it at least once. lol :)

HumanBean
May 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I personally just think it's sad to limit yourself due to being older. Not everyone has the confidence when younger to be different. I certainly didn't. So if it appeals to you now I say do it now. If age is a factor, well the truth is, you aren't going to get any younger, so either toss that dream aside or fulfill it and stop denying yourself.

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want, no matter what your age! I know older women with different hair colours, and I'd consider it myself if I wasn't a henna head :D.

If you have a very conservative job, it may not be seen as appropriate, however... I know some places where you'd get away with it without a problem, and others where you wouldn't.

ravenreed
May 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
My 69 year old mom uses a temporary color on the tips of her short, spiked hair. So far she has rocked blue, green, and red. She does it to celebrate the fact she is retired and doesn't have to care what anyone thinks about her hair.

I have been dyeing my hair burgundy since my early 20's. I don't bleach it first these days, so it only really shows up in direct light, but I love it and have no plans to stop any time soon.

Lostsoule77
May 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I think some people can view it as immature. I've never been one to care what others think of me though. If you want to do it I say go for it! Especially since you only want to do the underlayer which can be consealed. I want to do the same thing, but my job would freak! It's even in our dress code that we can't. If you have no such restrictions then it's your hair so do what you want with it. :D

Juanita
May 28th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I know several ladies around my age who embrace the manic panic colours and look great . Me I have some pink and purple to play with. As I don't bleach my hair and have grown out my years of dying it only lasts a couple of weeks or so for me.

Ephemeral
May 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I am 47 and I did that exact thing with my hair. It is reddish brown and fuschia shock underneath. It came out a beautiful raspberry color and I get compliments all the time on the color. (I should post a pic....)

Sassy9226
May 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Wow. Thanks everyone for the quick replies. You guys are superstars.
I would just like to share that the reaction I got in no way effects what I am doing and I'm going ahead as planned. Also I cleared it with hr at work. And discovered today that we have no dress code really so I can do as I please.
And I wish to be my sassy self.

Venefica
May 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Some people see any expression with one's look as negative, if one wish to do one's own thing and not just follow fashion and the A4 idea of how one should look then many will come up with negative ways to describe it, being immature, being unprofessional, being ugly and so on. Many people have this idea of how others should look and if someone do not follow that idea then they apply all sort of stereotypes to the person, it is stupid and annoying but that is how many people think.

ravenreed
May 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Maturity is doing what is right for your own self, regardless of what others think, as long as it isn't harming anyone. For some, that means bright hair color at 40-something (or any age for that matter), for others, that means embracing one's natural hair color.

The person I am right now LOVES having burgundy hair.

Maybe art school ruined me but to be perfectly honest I agree with your friends. When I was younger it was cool to have bright hair because was fun and I felt "different" but then I realized I didn't need all that extra random crap to be special.

The truth is that your hair color is probably beautiful and part of maturity is learning to love the person you are, right now.

Although, if you've never done it before. I think you should just tell them to **** off and do it. It is a lot of fun and everyone should do it at least once. lol :)

BlazingHeart
May 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I'm thinking about doing mine, because I have one year left in school before I enter a profession where it is Not Done to have unnatural colors in your hair (sigh). Don't get me wrong, on the whole I love what I do, but the appearance conservatism in my field annoys the pants off me.

~Blaze

mzBANGBANG
May 28th, 2012, 04:44 PM
My honest reaction is if it's done well (i.e. kept up, roots taken care of often), it's not immature. I have seen so many funky colors look amazing (purple and red being my favorite), however I tend to think once it starts looking beyond what was intended (as in roots, fade, etc) then it starts to look immature, or really, not so good. I think you can totally be professional with an unnatural hair color.

My job, however, does not. :(

pink.sara
May 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ha! I normally find being obviously tattooed having bonkers hair and being a bit older makes me a little intimidating rather than immature seeming.

Most people who see me in a professional setting first view me as very strong willed and I'm sure my image is a part of that.

ETA: to second what's been said above though I do not allow my roots to grow in or my colour to fade etc, I maintain bonkers colours perfectly at all times or it would not be tolerated in my workplace. (I deal with shareholders for major corporations) bonkers is fine as long as its "polished" :)

ravenreed
May 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
One of my friends is in her late 50's or early 60's, completely covered in tattoos, and has her own private practice as a therapist. Obviously, one can overcome being unconventional looking in certain fields easier than others, but I see people with unusual facial piercings at my local bank branch and certainly that would have been unheard of 20 years ago.

Ha! I normally find being obviously tattooed having bonkers hair and being a bit older makes me a little intimidating rather than immature seeming.

Most people who see me in a professional setting first view me as very strong willed and I'm sure my image is a part of that.

Tisiloves
May 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I think it's more a matter of personal style rather than maturity. When I go grey enough that I don't have to bleach I'm going some very interesting colours again.

Beckstar
May 28th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I am in the process of dyeing my bangs bright purple and the rest of my hair will be black. Am I too old? Nope, I still have a pulse. :)

Littlewing13
May 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I personally disagree with this entirely. I think colour shows that you have a creative, fun side. Often the most creative & fun people I have met are quite mature when the situation calls for it.

However, I also understand that it is a stereotype that a lot of people believe as truth, so some jobs will frown on it. eg DBF wants to go bright blue, but he has some court dealings recently & is job searching so it just isn't the right time.

If you don't want to colour all of your hair, consider using clip in hair extensions for colour. Just wear them when you're not at work.

Sassy9226
May 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hello.
I just wanted to let you guys know that i dyed it last night and so far only 1 of these people even noticed that it was done. Guess its not as bright as I thought it was

Tisiloves
May 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hello.
I just wanted to let you guys know that i dyed it last night and so far only 1 of these people even noticed that it was done. Guess its not as bright as I thought it was

Are you happy with it though?

Sassy9226
May 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Yes I am. I'm still trying to get it off my hands though. Lol

lapushka
May 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I'm of the opinion that it depends on what kind of color it is you're going for, and what the settings are, the circumstances you're in. A blue, a purple or a bright pink might not go over so well as a pretty natural looking red might. It all depends. And the reactions to that might vary accordingly.

taliarose
May 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I know a wonderful older woman with short hair. I'm going to guess that she's in her 50's. She normally rocks out with purple hair.

No there is nothing wrong with it and it doesn't speak at all to maturity levels. Personally I think it states that the wearer is a colorful person.

Tisiloves
May 29th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yes I am. I'm still trying to get it off my hands though. Lol

Clean the kitchen/bathroom with the with bleach stuff and no gloves or try lemon juice.

Vanille_
May 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I wonder what people think of such vibrant colors. I have to assume the worst - that some people might not take me as seriously with them. So I compromised and settled for Manic Panic Vampire Red - which looks amazing if I do say so myself. It's bright in the sun and muted in lower lights.

I don't want to ever stop using this color. It's fun but muted enough on my dark brown hair that it isn't overwhelming to people.

As far as advice, I say do what you want. For me, I wanted to take into consideration what others might think of me. I'll be entering a field surrounded by professionals (lawyers, judges, and expert witnesses) - so I didn't want to go too crazy.

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Am I too old? Nope, I still have a pulse. :)

Hear hear!