PDA

View Full Version : Help!! My hair is falling out!!

sh1ny
May 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I had BEAUTIFUL fine-thick hair down to my waist, until something suddenly changed. My hair was REALLY greasy within a few hours of taking a shower, i was like...ok... maybe I didn't rinse out the conditioner enough. Then each day it started getting greasier and it looked like I dipped my scalp in a deep fat fryer if I went a day without shampooing. Now my hair is falling out like crazy, especially around the crown area...it looks like i'm going bald back there.... I've switched shampoos, stopped shampoo, switched conditioners, not used conditioner....and the same thing. I've noticed it's not something in my hair that's making it oily, but my scalp producing too much. I just want this all to end. I'm thinking it has to do with my thyroid but I don't know. What do i do?!

Slug Yoga
May 27th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'd definitely see a doctor...not just to see if you can get your hair back on track, but in case there is a medical condition causing it that could be hurting your health as well. I'm sorry, this must be very distressing. Good luck and keep us updated.

ouseljay
May 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I agree with Slug Yoga. Hair thinning that suddenly, and to the point of bald patches, really does suggest a doctor's visit if you can manage it. I hope you can get it all figured out. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

MonicaJean
May 27th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds hormonal to me. I'm with everyone else. See a dr. I'm sorry you're dealing with that though. :(

Silverbrumby
May 27th, 2012, 10:55 PM
A dr.'s visit is needed but before you go start collecting all the shed hair in a bag to show them. They sometimes blow you off if you say you have thinning or hair loss.

Get thyroid tested and maybe iron and Vit D why they are taking blood.

I know this is frightening but remember that if it's thyroid it will grow back with treatment. I've lost a lot of hair twice due to thyroid and it does grow back.

I'm not sure what helps with greasy scalp as i've never experienced that but there are threads on here I think you can find if you google "greasy hair Long hair community forum"

Lamb
May 28th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Apart from seeing your doctor and getting a full check-up (complete lab test, etc.), please make sure you see a dentist too. Sudden hair loss can be triggered by internal inflammation, and dental problems which go undetected (it does not always hurt!) top the list of unseen causes of hair loss. Same goes for ear-nose-throat problems.
Good luck!

Freyariane
May 28th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Sounds hormonal to me. I'm with everyone else. See a dr. I'm sorry you're dealing with that though. :(

I was thinking about exactly the same thing... You must see a doctor!
I had hormonal problems few years ago, that's why I'm no more a iii...

louzen
May 28th, 2012, 04:02 AM
First I would say go to a doctor for some blood tests to see if anything is going on internally. That way you can rule out thyroid problems, lack of zinc/iron, etc.

Is your scalp inflamed or sore in any way? Have you started using a new shampoo/hair product? The reason I ask is that about 6 months ago I had a new hairdresser cut my hair and she sprayed some volumising spray on my scalp. I then experienced severe burning and soreness. My scalp also became SUPER greasy for about a month while the inflammation was there and I experienced more hair fall than usual during this period. So your scalp could be inflamed and very irritated..